Jeremy O'Wheel's Freestyle World Record List

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
rjadamson
Multidex Master

Re: Jeremy O'Wheel's Freestyle World Record List

Post by rjadamson » 22 Feb 2013 19:49

I've added everything from the previous page that wasn't added already. We should be up to date. In addition all moves like "Pixie Same Side Legover" have been renamed "Pixie Legover (ss)". Moves such as "Double Pixie" have been changed to "Double Mirage (ss)". For the most part like moves are sitting next to each other and use the same syntax.

It also appears we've hit the first real instance of labels like spinning, gyro, same, and opposite making things difficult. After confusing myself and wrestling around with renaming Brian's gyro osis and spinning osis records to the zooming equivalents (which I eventually figured out from a lot of air shred was pointless and created unnecessary new Job's notation vocabulary) I realized that we should decide sooner than later whether or not gyro tricks are listed as "Gyro Move Name" or "Spinning Near Move Name". I don't think going one way or the other will cause more or less naming problems in the future, but I have a feeling people will search for the "gyro" monikor more than "spinning near". As I believe Jeremy pointed out this does leave the problem of having both "ss"/"near" and "op"/"far"/"paradox" in simultaneous use which is not optimal. Technically something like "spinning whirl (ss)" would work the most elegantly, but no one would search for that over "gyro whirl". Do the modern naming conventions remedy this issue at all? In any case I am adding gyro tricks as such for now. This can easily be reverted later.

I did notice during verification that some of Brian's gyro osis contacts have quite frigid sets. Considering I was recently compelled by public opinion to take down Aleksey Romanov's scorpion's tail equal record (that would have tied Jim Penske's standing record of 7) due to this very reason I would like those of you viewing this thread to judge the following contacts of this record:
  • everything beyond #27
Brian's spinning osis record looks great though.

Anssi, I was hoping that you'd be inspired to break some records based on your recent footage...

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 24 Feb 2013 11:26

I think close to none of those gyro osii where there. As he should spot the bag after the osis, not only after the set.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 24 Feb 2013 15:03

Oh, I disagree with Asmus. I thought most of them, especially at the start, were really good. There are a few that are questionable, and I suspect are the ones Reilley flagged. I tend to disagree about the need to "spot" the bag on these tricks. I think what's important is the actual body movements. "Spotting" is definitely a way of giving a good indication that you're the trick cleanly, but I think that if you were to notice a vagrant Grey Petrel flying passed and watched it without looking at the bag at all, I don't think that would make the moves "the". Something I occasionally do when I question zooming and similar is to cover up the top half of the player and just watch the hips and feet. I think this actually gives a much clearer idea of whether the tricks are clean or not (and you'll often notice that they're not, but that the head and shoulders twisting around was making them look clean).

*I'm not saying that the record shouldn't count, as I only watched it once without being thorough, just that there are a few that would at least need a more careful look.

Edit; Also thanks heaps Reilley for that update :)

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 24 Feb 2013 19:53

I would argue it's also hard to verify whether or not the player can actually see the bag or not in such footage. This kind of trick is Brian's bread and butter, so I could easily imagine him just needing a glimpse of the bag in his peripheral vision to actually spot it. Whether or not spotting should be obligatory isn't something I am qualified to argue (I will leave that to the more distinguished players), but I don't trust I can accurately enforce something like that. In contrast it's not terribly hard to look at where the clipper foot is setting foot relative to the support leg. That is the criteria under which I removed Andrey's scorpion's tail equal record.

I would be curious to hear what other players think about this spotting issue, but I would really like to know what Asmus thinks about the sets themselves.

As time permits I plan to go through all unverified records. On an unrelated note, do we care about notating symple moves? For now I'm just deciding based on whether or not it's predominantly done one way or the other. For example I didn't notate Aleksi's spinning far swirls. If someone really wanted to make my life hard they could hit three non-symple versions. :lol:

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 25 Feb 2013 18:03

I think only indicate "symple" if the trick being hit is a harder alternative to convention, or there are symple and non-symple records of the same trick.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 28 Feb 2013 23:04

I've gone through the Polish footbag records YouTube channel and double checked they're all on the list when applicable. As a result reverse whirl record received an update and Merlin now has a record.

After reviewing the gyro osis record many more times and consulting a few people I've decided to withhold the full record. I would consider the middle section of 23 contacts (starting at #8) contacts the longest cleanly executed run. As always feedback is welcome on this decision.
Last edited by rjadamson on 01 Mar 2013 13:19, edited 1 time in total.

crazydwarf
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazydwarf » 28 Feb 2013 23:24

I know brian can do it better/longer now, maybe when his back gets better I can film him doing a ton.
Dustin Rhodes

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 01 Mar 2013 08:01

fo sho, as i said before, once i heal up i'll film up on some records. hopefully soon!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 02 Mar 2013 11:03

Anz
1/3/2013
12 toe blurs
1:47 mark:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q6sz9i1OoI[/youtube]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 04 Mar 2013 16:08

New DSO record?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF51DkOUkU4[/youtube]

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 04 Mar 2013 16:59

Those last two still need checking/updating.

I took advantage of the activity on the freestyle footbaggers facebook page to promote this project, and added Anssi's Mxyztplk record.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXbE11Yxf7A[/youtube]

I recall when I first started this project there was a rule about adds needing to be 15, but also that the system changed to "general agreement that a record should be counted," when I revived the project. I'm not too concerned about continuing to count this record or not - I just saw it as a good opportunity for shameless promotion :D

*Edit: Actually the system is "general agreement, but there has to be somebody who supports the record being up who is also willing to take the time to make the actual edit :P"

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 04 Mar 2013 21:49

I was under the impression that all records had to have at least three contacts. Was that a rule? Are we lowering it to two?

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Mar 2013 01:20

It was a rule when I first started the project, but then I tried to have it as more of general consensus thing without specific rules and it hasn't come up. If people think 3 should be the cut off, I'm happy to go along with that.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 05 Mar 2013 06:11

If there was a trick that should be exempt from the three contact guideline it's probably that one, but I admit I personally think three consecutive tricks should be the minimum for all records. It's less ambiguous, and I won't go crazy adding lots of back to back stuff!

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 05 Mar 2013 13:59

Geez... Now I feel obliged to hit three.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 05 Mar 2013 15:50

Fair point Reilley. I agree. Sorry Anssi, yep you'd better hit three, or feel free to hit more if you can :P Since you seem to be open to requests, toe flurry would be a cool record to have too ;)

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 06 Mar 2013 02:53

I don't like trying records with tricks that don't change side. But I see Enterrage doesn't have a listed record, so I can do those for you.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 07 Mar 2013 15:42

Easier too. I did think toe flurry would be too hard for you ;)

(thanks though :) )

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 11 Mar 2013 11:57

There's a video floating around on facebook of Vasek hitting over 20 ripsteins. I think one of the early ones is thin, but there's definitely a double digit stretch of clean ones. Not sure how to link a video here...can somebody look into this?

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 11 Mar 2013 12:25

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200200196061051
Also, is it just me, or does this look like it's from a few year ago, just from his body shape alone..