perception of hacky sack

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Elliott
Multidex Master

perception of hacky sack

Post by Elliott » 11 Nov 2010 09:50

i'm sure many people already realized this, but the perception of hacky sack here in the u.s. is terrible. the words "hacky sack" often evokes 3 different images:
1. a novelty or childrens game, not a sport
2. it's associated with hippies, slackers, & potheads.
3. journalists often use it as a punchline in their articles (many of which have been posted here in the past)

to all the europeans players out there - is hacky sack viewed the same way across the pond? will the perception ever change here in the u.s.? is there anything we could possibly do, or are the stereotypes too deep? i think it would take some kinda national p.r. campaign. is wanda sykes available?

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 11 Nov 2010 20:29

at one point in time, I could not have agreed more. From where I am today, I couldn't disagree more. I tell people it's hacky sack all the time. They briefly scoff, and then I explain myself. Most of those people are then curious, then I show them one video of me playing. Then they understand. And it's easy for them to take the "hacky sack" message to the next person.

Building on someone's understanding is easier than teaching a new term AND a new way of thinking.
Bob R.

atze
Multidex Master

Post by atze » 11 Nov 2010 21:26

http://www.google.com/trends?q=footbag% ... l&date=all

i think in large parts of europe we have managed quite well to install the term footbag over hacky sack. i think its important to be consequent, especially when it comes to media and goverment officials. nowadays, at least in switzerland, there is hardly any confusion anymore about the terms. even newspaper articles about circle kicking use the term footbag without any incentives from us. school, health initiatives, etc. are offering footbag courses on their own initiatie (without our participation) and the term hacky sack doesn't once show up in their terminology.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 11 Nov 2010 22:58

that's Europe, and that's great. However, in US, there's a long history and understanding of what "hacky sack" is. Similarly, if you try to tell someone they need a tissue to blow their nose when they ask for a Kleenex, they'll roll their eyes. Since people use long standing brand recognition as a tool to quickly understand something, might as well go with the flow.

Of course, I'm speaking of every day terminology in a quick conversation. Once someone expresses an interest to understand more fully, I tell them "well, it's actually called footbag... hacky sack is just a brand of footbag, similar to how Kleenex is a brand of tissue". But until they express an interest, it isn't worth my time. Now, news/media is different, and certainly at a tournament, using the proper terminology is still important.

I guess my point is that you can use the widespread understanding of hacky sack to your benefit here.
Bob R.

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 12 Nov 2010 00:24

I find in the UK that no one seems to know what hacky sack is, let alone footbag. From conversations with the people that do know, there doesnt seem to be a stereotype associated with it. This is kinda based on people local to me, but it does cross a wide age range.

We're like a big, blank canvas waiting to have footbag graffiti-ed all over it.
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

Elliott
Multidex Master

Post by Elliott » 12 Nov 2010 06:46

i'm glad to know that the names hacky sack & footbag haven't been tainted over in Eurpoe. i'd much rather have a blank canvas than a target on my back. the whole brand name stuff use to bother me when i was a kid, & now i couldn't care less if someone called it hacky sack. if i'm speaking with someone who is unfamiliar, i call it hacky sack too.

our group kicks on a college campus every weekend. i have to say that from my interactions with the college aged (non-footbag informed), they're not even interested enough to stop walking. 90% of the time there's a couple guys walking down the sidewalk and they continue to watch us while they're moving. then one shouts out, "what are you guys playing" or "is that hacky sack"? whether they say hacky sack (or i say it) it typically evokes a small chuckle or snicker from one of the spectators. they say, "that's cool" & walk away.

it's that brief snicker that gets to me. they think it's a joke & odds are they remember a group of "slackers" from high school that used to play. i mean let's face it, most of us were identified as "one of those" in high school. how can the sport of footbag distance itself from the stereotypes that recreational hackers emit?

jtm94
Hack Fiend

Post by jtm94 » 14 Nov 2010 13:35

I'm not at the level of footbag where I can give the perspective of a true footbagger, but I aspire to be one and I can tell you how it is viewed by people with slight interest in it.
I'm in America and it just depends on who you are around that determines how they will react.

I'm in highschool and I circle kick all the time with a small group of kids in my gym class. There are three types of people. The people that have no interest in footbag whatsoever. The people that will participate in circle kicking with friends but nothing further and the people who really enjoy it enough to try to participate in it as much as possible on a daily basis.

When we're circle kicking you can do some kind of amazing save, but the second you drop it people instantly get the idea that you suck. I've realized this more lately that a LOT of people do not realize the dedication and practice required to become good at footbag. They think that since it has been portrayed as something done by a group of potheads that it must not be hard at all to become good at.

As far as calling it footbag....I usually call it hacky sack when talking to someone unfamiliar with it, but with my friends who are better we regard it as footbag. The name footbag doesn't get much respect and doesn't do it any justice here.

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 14 Nov 2010 16:23

Elliott wrote:it's that brief snicker that gets to me.
Stop taking yourself and hacky ball so seriously and it won't get to you anymore. I promise.

footbag will never be skateboarding (popular) .. blahblahblah .. and so forth
James Randall

Elliott
Multidex Master

Post by Elliott » 15 Nov 2010 06:52

i've put in too many hours to take it lightly. i am serious.

i don't want footbag to be the next skateboarding, & that's not what i'm asking. i would settle for people not laughing when they say hacky sack.

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 15 Nov 2010 07:15

My thought is that if you stress the difference between footbag and hacky sack, you'll widen the gulf between the public's generalized preconceptions of hackey sack and the more aggressive, aerobic, sport of footbag.

Here's my logic... if someone has to stop and ask you what you're doing, and you tell them it's "hacky sack," and then they scoff -- they already had an idea in their head about what hacky sack is and they obviously didn't think that what you were doing was it, because they had to ask you in the first place. Obviously, if they recognized what you were doing as hacky sack, they would just think (or say), "Hey, look at that guy playing hacky sack." I've used the term hacky sack to explain what the sport was like but only when preceded by the words: "a more aggressive/aerobic form of."

I don't think you have even the faintest glimmer of hope in changing the public's preconception of the term "hacky sack." Spread the word "footbag" so people understand the difference and form different associations like: aerobic, sport, aggressive, freestyle, etc. etc.
Mark Bull

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 15 Nov 2010 12:43

2 thoughts/observations:

1. In Japan, there was no slacker/stoner stigma associated with "hacky sack," since there was no fad in the 80s, and hence no negative stereotypes. We therefore attracted interest from pretty varied groups, including the usual suspects such as soccer players, but also from groups you wouldn't expect, such as dancers.

2. The American public doesn't have a very high opinion of "hacky sack." Perhaps a more interesting question though, is what is the footbag community's perception of hackysack, and by extension, hackysackers? I think many of us are guilty of looking down on hackysackers and hackysack, and therefore miss a valuable recruiting opportunity. I've certainly been guilty of this myself.

jtm94
Hack Fiend

Post by jtm94 » 15 Nov 2010 14:16

I would try my best to pass on the title of footbag, but I don't want people to think of me sucking when they hear footbag again.
If anything I would say footbag is like hacky sack but where people are good and can incorporate tricks with their own style.
I would word it in a way that makes it sound as cool as it is.

I definitely have some stoner friends who are great at hacky sack. If they took the time they have the potential to be good footbaggers. They can just stand there and hack all day and some of them are the best opponents for games like ladders or assassin. Personally I associate those games with hacky sack and with a good challenge I believe they give me a great chance to excel.

The people that I know who have heard of footbag think of it as just a solo sport for loners and that's where it falls short at becoming popular.

Frank_Sinatra
Avenging Disco Godfather

Post by Frank_Sinatra » 15 Nov 2010 15:47

I've also stopped using the word footbag with the uninitiated. When I do use it, the conversation just becomes about Kleenex being another word for facial tissue.

The truth is, most of the random passers-by who ask what I'm doing aren't trying to start a long conversation. Give them a quick answer and a smile & let them push their stroller to wherever they're going.

I pretty much assume that people who smirk at the word "hackysack" aren't going to get involved with the sport regardless.

And like Elliott, every so often I get the people who walk by and snicker. Fuck em.

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 16 Nov 2010 14:54

Frank_Sinatra wrote:And like Elliott, every so often I get the people who walk by and snicker. Fuck em.
Exactly.
James Randall

crazylegs32
Egyptian Footgod

Post by crazylegs32 » 21 Dec 2010 22:12

This is a first for me, post edit... :D

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 Jan 2011 08:37

It often does get annoying when someone asks what I do, because I know I'm going to have to describe it, and that's always hard without sounding stupid. I usually tell them "Extreme Hacky Sack, instead of just kicking the bag, you link difficult tricks together." Then I'll show them a demo or something, and people usually respect it. I've learned that some people just generally give no shit about footbag, and I've come to terms with that. It used to bug me when people made fun of it, but now I simply don't care. At least we're doing something productive with our lives. They're usually the ones wasting their life away with a couch, bong, and tv.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Jokse
Multidex Master

Post by Jokse » 19 Jan 2011 21:29

Here in Finland no one says "hacky sack" and it seems to me that there is many people out here who know what footbag is. Atleast almost everyone knows what the bag is like, and when freestyle footbag is being explained to them, they usually respect it and are genuinely interested.

But here are haters too, and they gonna hate! I just ignore them, most of the time, because atleast I am doing what I love, unlike those whiny bitches. Or maybe they love being dicks.
Joonas Korhonen