Who's got a job that's tough physically and can still kick?

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
skankin
Multidex Master

Who's got a job that's tough physically and can still kick?

Post by skankin » 21 May 2012 06:25

So I'm an electrician apprentice, doing new homes, and my job is pretty full on, carrying tools, going up and down stairs working around 10hrs a day, getting up at 5:30 am. I find myself drained when I get home and when I tried to kick this weekend my legs weren't responding at all. I wonder if other players find themselves in a similar situation where their bodies are pushed every day but they still manage to find the energy to kick. I wonder if you have any tips to help keep your energy level high and anything to help me get in shape for the Eastern Regionals?

fatbagger
Multidex Master

Post by fatbagger » 23 May 2012 16:22

The best advice I could give is to wake up an hour early for work and practice. Easier said than done if you already wake up at 5:30 but it would probably be the best option. I don't know about you but I can work a little tired perfectly fine. After work I feel like I risk injury if I play, so before is the best option for me. And I feel great at work after a session. The point being, after practicing all week I feel motivated to see how well I can play on the weekend. I really suggest trying it. Also, don't take it easy at work and stay consistent, you'll get used to it faster(assuming your new to the apprenticeship). Once that happens it will be much easier to get energized for a sesh. Working sucks.
I like to play.
I want to play good.
Dan Reed

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 24 May 2012 04:08

I used to lay carpet and it was tough, especially on my knees. The best advice I can give is:

1. Eat healthy, with a lot of protein,
2. Drink a lot of water,
3. Stretch a lot, as often as you can, and
4. Kick with someone, not alone.

I found that when I was constantly doing these things I was noticeably less affected by the manual labor and had more energy for kicking.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 24 May 2012 10:29

For me, it was impossible to wake up and play before the work, because i had knee pain after the day at work. Plus i hate to wake up early.
What i found is to work my normal day.
Then stretch right after the work.
Then 1 hour nap. (4pm-5pm)
Then eat.(around 5)
Then 1 hour to diggest.
Then shred for about 90 minutes. from about 6PM to 7:30 PM)
Then stretch.
Then 2 hour to cool down before to go to bed.From about 8 PM - 10 PM
Then sleep.
RPT

I was also taking glucosamine for my knees.
Sleeping about 8 hours per night is a most to allow you body to recover.
Obviously, eating well is a good addition. I have a hard time with this one hahaha

That worked well. But you have to be able to commit TONS of time to footbag to do that. Basically... you don't do much outise footbag with that schedule lol!

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 24 May 2012 14:50

as a cabinetmaker/carpenter apprentice, i was definitely playing much less footbag than i am now as a student. sad, but true. i can totally understand that you think you don't have energy for footbag left after work. trying the stuff mentioned above won't hurt, though ;)
Matthias Lino Schmidt