Time it takes to get good

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
Vraidave
Shredaholic

Time it takes to get good

Post by Vraidave » 31 Jan 2014 16:52

So, I started circle kicking at the end of eighth grade, with a little crocheted piece of crap. I wasn't very good, then I practiced a bunch, and soon rose to the top among my friends at regular old kicks. After awhile, I discovered freestyle footbag. I made no real attempt to learn it for some time. I just started with basic toe and inside stalls, and stuck with it. But some more time passed and I got interested in getting good at it. I've had some on and off periods, but recently I've been my my most serious footbag kick (ha!) Now I'm halfway through my senior year in highschool, and I feel like I should be way better, but with all the breaks I took and all the time I took off, I have no idea where I should be! So, in a roundabout sort of way, this is how I'm asking you guys how long it took you to get to where I am. For reference I just recently started hitting whirls and I'm getting close to landing those atomic and quantum tricks. I also have no idea if I'm progressing correctly, seeing as I know nobody else who is actually into freestyle, just folks stuck in the circle kicking phase.

Side note: What do you guys call the game? I normally call the item itself a footbag or a bag, and on occasion i refer to the game as "playing footbag" but I mostly say hack when I'm asking if my friends want to play. Just curious.

Jeeze, this seems like a loaded topic. Sorry anyone who's reading.
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Time it takes to get good

Post by Cass » 31 Jan 2014 17:06

Yeah "playing footbag" or "shredding" are both pretty common.

Everybody progresses differently so it depends a lot on how much and how often you practice. Have you played with anyone more experienced? That helps a lot also. I think Zach Jahner might be in your area.

It took me about a year practicing 3-5 days a week to get to a reasonable solid tiltless level.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 31 Jan 2014 17:17

Yeah you mentioned Jahner, I made a sort of half assed attempt to contact him. But no, I've never played with a-n-y-o-n-e more experienced than me, except when I first started circle kicking, but those were just people who were more experienced at hitting consecutives. I guess my little suburb is devoid of true footbag talent :/
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 31 Jan 2014 20:45

Hook up with Jahner. It will be one of the best things you do on your path to improving.

As for what we call it, I go with "kicking" mostly. Hack or shred works too.

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 01 Feb 2014 14:33

Listen, I'm from Michigan. Do what Ken said, because he is correct. Don't make a half attempt. Do it. Also, get on the Facebook group grand rapids footbag. See you there.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 01 Feb 2014 14:48

Just sent my request to join. I just wish grand rapids wasn't a 3-4 hour drive from roseville.

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 02 Feb 2014 06:48

Me too, I have done footbag solo since 03 with the exception of 4 sessions (and a long break from footbag) I know exactly what you mean. But there will be opportunities to get with us, and us get with you.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 02 Feb 2014 17:44

It's certainly possible to get good while still playing by yourself, and many of the top players in the world have. The key though, and why the question of how long it takes is so difficult to answer, is how you train. If you spend a lot of time drilling and aiming for improvement, then you can improve very quickly. If you merely play, without drilling and without critically examining your game and aiming towards improvement, you may not improve at all, and you'll stagnate at a low level. At least that's a generalisation of what it takes, there may well be individual exceptions.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Feb 2014 10:29

Damn. I was thinking you were going to say that you were just doing clippers and some pickups and mirages… If that was going to be the case, I would have said "Oh you're fine, basically just where you should be." But Whirls, Atomics, Quantums… WTF… you've got nothing to worry about and everything to be stoked about. Your game is past where it should be. In fact you beat me by a long shot. I was hacking since 5th grade, and got into "freestyle" around 9th. By 12th grade, I could do clippers, atws, and some other shit. I didn't hit my first Whirls until I hit the end of my freshman year in college. Didn't hit my first atomics or quantums until my Junior year in college. You're on the right track, as long as you're hitting all your tricks on both sides.

But agreeing with everyone here. You'd be on the VERY RIGHT AWESOMEAWESOMEAWESOME track if you met up with Zach Jahner. He learned from some of the best and he can teach you everything he knows.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 03 Feb 2014 12:51

Well my guilts are pretty solid on flipside, i just started hitting sketchy whirls, not clean yet, and my quantums/atomics are in their most basic forms, which i havent quite landed yet. I didnt mean to perpetuate that i was nailing these things haha. But yeah i messaged zach on fb, added him and whatnot.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Feb 2014 14:30

Vraidave wrote:But yeah i messaged zach on fb, added him and whatnot.
When he replies… you're in good hands.
Nick Polini

Funblog

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 03 Feb 2014 14:47

He has. Mentioned arranging some session when it warms up. Pretty psyched

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Feb 2014 15:14

Nice. Also if you feel like making the drive to Grand Rapids, they have a carpeted indoor warehouse where they always shred.
Nick Polini

Funblog

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 04 Feb 2014 16:17

You sound like a younger me. Your progression through school is pretty similar to mine except you got better. Here is advice to add to what has been said.

Don't play off and on. Its what I do and because of it I will never be good. Every time you take a long break you lose something. You need to spend a number of sessions breaking off the rust. Then there is missed time where you weren't working on improving your skills. Hope it helps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk