Post practice Recovery

General footbag-related topics that don't fit elsewhere go in here.
AdAstra
Multidex Master

Post practice Recovery

Post by AdAstra » 03 Aug 2016 13:31

How do you all recover from practices? After my intense practices I'm generally pretty sore and have to take the next day off. Any advice for resting/stretching/preparing your legs?
Austin
Lexington, KY, USA, Pale Blue Dot

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: Post practice Recovery

Post by C-Fan » 04 Aug 2016 09:19

I definitely recommend stretching after a workout. I've also read that drinking chocolate milk immediately after a workout helps with recovery, but it needs to be within 15 minutes of finishing exercise. Also make sure you're hydrating enough during exercise, as well as before and after.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 04 Aug 2016 17:16

I recommend stretching before kicking and after, and ensuring you get enough potassium like banana, avocado, et cetera.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Anz
Anssi Sundberg

Post by Anz » 08 Aug 2016 01:46

Make sure your body gets enough protein too, so your muscles can recover as fast as they can.
1,0 g/kg is pretty much the minimum requirement for athletes. So if you weight 75 kg, you should get at least 75 grams of protein everyday.

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 08 Aug 2016 06:07

Dynamic (Jumping jacks, lunges, butt kicks, high knees...) stretches are best before shred, as static (the yoga type stuff) stretches may have negative effects. But, do you. Definitely static stretch, after. Hydration is also really key! Water is life. Bananas are also as good, if not better, than stuff like Gatorade. Eating well, and enough are also a must. Especially post workouts. Protein, potassium, magnesium, and iron do wonders for your body.

For rest days, be sure to still stay active. Even if it's walking a few miles a day. And stretch! Ice baths are highly recommended from me, but understand that is crazy -ish. Something I like to do is warm shower, or hot compress, stretch, and then ice(But that has more to do with injuries).
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

jooles
Hack Fiend

Post by jooles » 29 Aug 2016 15:49

Stretching: As far as I'm informed (by people who studied sports) stretching before shredding isn't good because it makes your muscles slower. Also stretching after shredding isn't good because your muscles are already damaged and you put more stress on them. BUT stretching is important for recovery so have a yoga session every day (but not before or after shreds)
After shredding 2-5 minutes of kicking seems a good way to me to come down.

Chocolate Milk: There's a "myth" in bodybuilding that 15-30 minutes after a workout it's the best window to get your body nutrients, especially protein. Also carbohydrates to get back energy. Scientific research couldn't prove it. It says if you get your kcal you need within the next 36 hours your fine. I by myself think an apple / a banana right after the workout is a good deal and your body will tell you how much time after the shred in wants the good meal.
Chocolate Milk has some protein, fat and some good vitamins and minerals. But you can also have a protein shake or a banana shake. It's just easier to digest after the work out than a big meal and gives you energy.

Protein/Muscle: This is a formula which is quite common in bodybuilding but there's no scientific prove for this. They just think you damage your muscle your muscle is protein so you need protein to fix it. Also is the damage you do to your muscles the same damage as bodybuilder do? Besides of that protein is important especially if you doing sports so take care that you get a good mix of protein from plants and animals (if you're veggie just plants you shouldn't have an disadvantage)

ice water / warm showers: When you flashing your legs with ice water you stimulating the blood circulation in your legs, this means that the processes that are driven by your blood circulation "getting faster" so at the end it should increase your regeneration rate BUT: immediately after shred and the ice water keep your legs warm if they are too long cold it decreases your regeneration rate heavily and can cause harms like inflammations.

For the best regeneration rate i advise: eat healthy, get enough sleep, avoid stress, don't do alcohol or smoking (surprise), stretch
edit: that are the basics, like "eat healthy" is a term you can interpret in many ways. The more variety you have in your eating habits the more save you are.
If you want to use supplements: creatin and whey protein are proven to help (not only for regeneration)
Julian
Vienna, Austria