War on Iraq

This section is specifically for serious non-footbag debate and discussion.

Should the US go to war with Iraq

Absolutly, the lives of civillian Iraqs are less important than cheap petrol
3%
Yes, Saddam is evil and the US has the self imposed duty to remove him
12%
Yes, Saddam is evil and the US has the self imposed duty to remove him
12%
Yes, but only with Security Council support
9%
No, war is evil
64%

Total votes: 58

MJK
BSOS Beast

Post by MJK » 01 Feb 2003 09:46

Now, consider the fact that Iraq doesn't have the capability of getting a weapon fired a Israel. (It's main enemy) How in god's namne do you expect him to be able to kill americans? We're half way across the world from him! I know how! If the Americans go into his country! Then Bush can say I told you so and he'll be unopposed next time he wants to go to war for oil or political gain.

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 01 Feb 2003 10:28

one of my history/poly sci friends at UCSB told me that Iraq had a nuclear weapon, the only part missing being the weapon's grade plutonium (the most important part). Is this true? I dont remember him quoting his source on this information. But certainly IF Saddam had the capabilities of obtaining this deadly substance, do you think he would hesitate using it? The scary thing is that for Sadam to hurt the U.S., he does not even need to hit us diectly. He could drop it on, lets say, Israel, or for that matter any country supporting the U.S., and it would completely demoralize the international community.
The aforementioned risk is very real. Using a peaceful stance to the war effort, how could we stop Iraq from attaining nukes? I just dont see it happening.
Jeremy M.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 01 Feb 2003 10:30

heres what i see

Both the US and [terrorists] want to kill each other right? But the difference is, the Al Qaeda (for ex.) want as well to die. The only (religious) goal in there life is to die while killing us.

Allan you r smart BUT in wwII the average citizens did not know the jews were being mass murdered. Even the children in the ...jungvolk (whats the word im looking for?) did not know. Sure they see all the Jews are being taken away. What do you expect them to do though? Remember after ww1 Germanys economy was HORRIBLE. They needed any sort of relief

I have to give bigger props to jeremy, jeremy and eric, for saying what you believe even though you know you will get yelled at. and standing up to allan
This is more complete bullshit. Sorry to tell you this man, but you're straight-up brainwashed. I took you for being more intelligent.
Sorry but being brainwashed does not mean he is not intelligent.
Like every man of sense and good feeling, I abominate work
-Aldous Huxley

the_lost
BSOS Beast

Post by the_lost » 01 Feb 2003 16:13

apparently (according to the state of the union address) they have alot of stuff against saddam. and my question is why is IRAQ tring to hide stuff?why dont they just say "we have stuff and we'll destroy it" and then destroy it.
Korea is not hiding stuff, they just came out and confessed.
according to me iraq is the bigger threat.

ON ANOTHER NOTE: i have a brother that is already over there ready to fight and im still for it.
Kansas City baby!

dizzy
Multidex Master

Post by dizzy » 01 Feb 2003 17:55

Matt wrote:heres what i see
Both the US and [terrorists] want to kill each other right? But the difference is, the Al Qaeda (for ex.) want as well to die. The only (religious) goal in there life is to die while killing us.
While we are starting to dig into an area that I cannot profess to know much about(very few people actually do), I do doubt the 100% validity of this statement.

My understanding at this point is that while these terrorist groups are indeed religiously fanatic and that dying in the holy war(Jihad) is certainly an honorable thing, I think you would find that a good majority of these terrorists actually wish to live - victory, after all, is the goal of any war. Is it not? Yes, [more than]a few are willing to be martyrs and drive planes into buildings for "the cause", but you can hardly condemn an entire country to oblivion for the sake of weeding this element out. *Especially* when there is NO hope of actually achieving this goal through these means.

Even is this were completely true, this is of course also presuming that all the citizens of Iraq (and indeed all Muslims) share this sentiment. The fact remains, that while the majority of Iraq's population is Muslim, they are not all fanatically so and they no more would choose to die than you would. Again, have you ever been outside of your country? Have you been to Iraq and talked to people? You are basing your entire argument by what you have seen on the news or read in the paper and it's lying to you!

This is a complete shot in the dark that I cannot source, but there are probably more religiously fanatical people in the US who believe that the American style of life is how everybody should live and that we should seek to eliminate all those who don't think the same way than there are fanatical terrorist Muslims. (run-on sentence?) Exactly what is the difference between the two?

I would consider Bush, his entire administration and people that support his goals to be just as religiously fanatic and willing to "die for the cause" than the terrorists they seek to eliminate. The only difference is the god they pray to - The Almighty Dollar, or The Almighty Allah.
Matt wrote:Allan you r smart BUT in wwII the average citizens did not know the jews were being mass murdered. Even the children in the ...jungvolk (whats the word im looking for?) did not know.
Sure they see all the Jews are being taken away. What do you expect them to do though? Remember after ww1 Germanys economy was HORRIBLE. They needed any sort of relief
I wasn't saying that they all knew explicitly what was happening, but you cannot say that they didn't know something was going on. Hitler didn't exactly make it a state secret that one of his primary goals was to wipe the Jewish population off the face off the earth. This is not to say that people expected him to start exterminating people en masse, but they knew that he was rounding Jews up and taking them "away". Anybody with an elementary grasp of history would have to have known that something very seriously evil was taking place.

I also wasn't saying that I would have expected them to do anything about it. If they opened their mouths, they were taken away and condemned to the same fate, so of course they wouldn't "do" something about it. My point was simply trying to show how ludicrous Eric's comparison was. If you take a quick look around, you can already find scores of pictures, video footage and literature that very plainly show a completely devastated Iraq(and lots of other countries after US "interventions).

There is no secret being withheld from us about the conditions the Iraqi people face. The issue at stake here is who is to blame for these deplorable conditions. Sadaam Hussein? Yeah, certainly the guy is a maniac who hasn't done a thing to help(yeah, he made it worse). But US economic sanctions and "military intervention" have done as much or more to hurt the average Iraqi in the past ten or so years than Sadaam could have realistically inflicted himself. To relate you and I to the average German citizen in WWII is not only insulting(to both parties), but it is dangerously incorrect to make such statements in this context.
Matt wrote:I have to give bigger props to jeremy, jeremy and eric, for saying what you believe even though you know you will get yelled at. and standing up to allan
First of all, go back and *actually read* the conversation and see who was yelling. THIS IS YELLING (all-caps). Though I have gotten quite "emotional" and aggressive in my responses, I can hardly see the logic in your statement. Who exactly is it that has the "unpopular" opinion here? Eric and Jeremy aren't afraid that their statements are going to make them the target of CIA investigation. *I'm* the one going out on a limb here to speak for PEACE man.

"Standing up to allan" ???? Yeah, PROPS!! Way to go guys for standing up to that loud-mouth peace monger. How dare I actively encourage people to *talk* and communicate during a time of crisis. What a bruiser I am. lol - get real brother.
Matt wrote:Sorry but being brainwashed does not mean he is not intelligent.
This was the part that I actually did apologise for - if you'd actually read my words. I do not wish to turn this conversation into a personal attack on anybody, but it is a sensitive issue and I have been writing exactly what I feel when I feel it and submitting it, so I'm hoping that you might forgive my passionate responses. I know Eric, Jeremy & I are still friends. Right guys? I'm sorry if I offended either of you.

That being all said, being brainwashed isn't exactly a hallmark of intelligence ;)

So, I think the end of this thread may have finally arrived for me; for a while at least. Whether you agree or disagree with what I've said, my goal was to at least make you think about it a little more and articulate why you feel the way you do. Keeping it all bottled up inside while you watch your TV is not how we are going to end this. I know it has been therapeutic for me.

In closing, I'd like to say that I believe that people the world over are inherently intelligent and caring individuals who simply need to start talking and not stop talking until a solution is reached. If we cannot do this then "we will continue this cycle of violence until humanity is reduced to the rubble of antiquity". I aim to do everything I can so that this doesn't happen.

Once and for all,

As-Salaam Alaikum
Last edited by dizzy on 01 Feb 2003 18:12, edited 1 time in total.

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 01 Feb 2003 18:10

I just wanted to say that Allan is not the only one on this forum who wishes for peace. There is no such thing as fighting for peace you guys. If you retaliate with a violent action, you are provoking violence. It's a simple as that. I don't think you could disagree with that. However, I do understand that you can come back with "but then you're letting them hurt you back!" and that shit... but I mean really... come on. I can't understand how some of you can be appalled that Sadaam has the SAME FUCKING WEAPONS that we do. That's a pretty simple fact, too. You know... as long as there are nuclear weapons, it's a vicious cycle. Other countries will want to "defend" themselves by purchasing their OWN nukes... and then the first country just HAS to have more so THEY buy their own... and so on and so on. And we can't really destroy the nukes now, can we? What a wonderful fucking human race we are. I really want to go to the moon... but we couldn't shred. Sigh... life treats us all badly. Fuck it.
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 01 Feb 2003 19:27

Matt wrote:heres what i see

Allan you r smart BUT in wwII the average citizens did not know the jews were being mass murdered. Even the children in the ...jungvolk (whats the word im looking for?) did not know. Sure they see all the Jews are being taken away. What do you expect them to do though? Remember after ww1 Germanys economy was HORRIBLE. They needed any sort of relief

I have to give bigger props to jeremy, jeremy and eric, for saying what you believe even though you know you will get yelled at. and standing up to allan
This is more complete bullshit. Sorry to tell you this man, but you're straight-up brainwashed. I took you for being more intelligent.
Sorry but being brainwashed does not mean he is not intelligent.
If I'm the other Jeremy you are giving props too, I just want to say that I have so far been in complete agreement with pretty much everything Allan (and the other people who have spoken out against war) has said. If we talk about people being brainwashed, well I havn't met in person these people - Jeremy M, Eric, the other war mongers, so it would be hard to comment on their intelligence. I don't know what the media is like in the US but I believe it would be pretty easy to be brainwashed from what I've heard and because of my general, perhaps optimistic, view that if everyone completely understood the issues, at least 90% of them would be against war.

Currently the US has at least 2000 nukes that could be launched at any target around the world within 5 minutes and a further 3000 or so that could be launched at any target within 30 minutes (the second lot are the ones that the US has stockpiled in order to meet the START treaties with Russia. Somehow stockpiling the oldest nukes counts as arms reduction). By all accounts Iraq has 0 nuclear weapons. I know which country I feel is more of a threat my security.

Since WW2 the US has bombed 21 countries. Iraq has bombed 2.

Jeremy
"Really unneccesary"

Post by Jeremy » 01 Feb 2003 19:30

bigdirtyfoot wrote: I really want to go to the moon... but we couldn't shred. Sigh... life treats us all badly. Fuck it.
Nice work BDF, but just think of shreding in low gravity, you could hit hepta round the worlds!

bigdirtyfoot
Sloppy

Post by bigdirtyfoot » 01 Feb 2003 21:49

Just trying to add a little bit of humor to this thread so there aren't any fists flying...
David Wilder

NC Aliens.

LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Post by LinoSphere » 02 Feb 2003 13:08

First of all, I want to thank Allan and all those who supported him. He provided quite some amount of things to think about and - even better - gave links as references (who else did so?).
Secondly, I want to somewhat "thank" Eric W. and Jeremy M. for, well, presenting their "view" of the world. At least they gave me a couple of reasons to laugh out loudly. Additionally, they made it easier for me to understand how some US-Americans are seeing the world, their government and politics in general.

I am going to start a little far off topic now, but I think it is necessary here:
-The Media-
In the US, there are more homes with at least one TV set than have indoor plumbing! For many US citizens, the television set is the main source of information. Considering this, a closer look at the medium itself is needed. If you think TV is there to show you how the world really is, you are wrong. If you think TV is there to entertain you and give you some information, you are getting a little closer. All of the major network and cable news stations are privately owned businesses. They are corporations that - above all - have to survive in the market. Any company's aim has to be making profit, if it wants to exist. The TV stations' main goal is not to inform the public, they have to - as any other corporation - sell their product. And one of their products is news.
As you might have noticed, the market often influences the product, due to the golden rule of supply and demand. Now how could you think that television programmes, as the TV stations' products, are not influenced? TV news, especially on the US' major stations, are not a portrayal of reality or providing an insight on the world. They are giving bits of information, nicely decorated with music, beatifully looking anchors, and nice graphic design. Quoting Neil Postman from his book Amusing Ourselves to Death: "Americans are the best entertained and quite likely the least well-informed people in the western world." I could go on here, but there are more points I want to cover. If you ask for it, I'll explain this issue more in detail.
I just wanted to make all those who believe in their daily-evening-news-show-thruth a little aware of what it actually is: A business, aiming at money, not information. If you want another view on the world, check out indymedia.org.

-The Government Statements-
Bush's, Powell's and other government employee's speeches seem to have had an influence on many of the pro-war posts in this thread. It so seems as if some of you pay quite some attention and belief to the government statements. So let's see how valuable they are as a source of information or even "truth". What do you think a president wants if he goes out and holds a speech? Does he want to make sure that his people are up to date on the latest news? Does he want to inform us about all what he knows about an issue so we can make founded decisions? Does he maybe even want to tell us the truth so he is no liar? Or does he maybe more want to tell only those things that are necessary to make his policies look justified? Why isn't Bush trusting the weapons inspectors' report? Why does he assert to know more, why does he know about weapons in the Iraq that the inspectors do not know of???? He wants this war, and he will tell you many more lies to make you all believe in his good intentions.

-The Good Intentions-
It's a war for peace, a war against terrorism, it's saving the world from future terrorist attacks, a peace mission.... whatever blabla. We've heard it all a million times and I for one am SICK of it. I still do not understand how any sane individual can believe in the Bush administration's good intentions. When in the entire history of the world did the USA or any other state ever do anything for the world peace without selfish purposes? Give me one valid answer and I'm happy for the rest of my life. Too bad you won't find one. Just like businesses in the market, just like human beings in a society, nations struggle to survive. Some are less succesful, others more - but there is no state that would do anything costly like a war if it wasn't for a reason. And peace is not a trustworthy reason if war is the way. The war on Iraq is about oil, about political power and influence in the middle east, it is about dragging the people's attention away from some serious internal problems - but it surely is not about bringing peace to the world, nor is it about eliminating a threat to the world peace.

-Iraq - A threat to world peace?-
If we'd believe the Bush & Co. propaganda, the Iraq is:
- just about to attack the USA with nuclear, biological or chemical weapons
- has the military potential to do so and
- supports Al Qaeda.
Which of these assertions is proven true? None! While the Blix report gives no indications that would justify a war, Bush has to find new legitimations. If there can't be any weapons found, well, we'll tell 'em there are some!. Also, do you really think that a state like Iraq (whatever its military power is, it will be a tiny fraction of the US' military power) would dare to declare war on the US? No state in the world will dare to do so. That's like being a first-grader in school and insulting the 11th-grade bully and telling him to beat you up if he dares. It's plain stupid. Saddam knows that. Bush knows that. Open war is without prospects against the USA. Be proud of it, if you want. Terror works a lot better, on the other hand. Yeah, the giant is vulnerable. However, even the CIA had to admit that there couldn't be found any evidence for connections between the Iraq and Al Qaeda (source: German news magazine Der Spiegel).

I'm getting tired of writing now, but even more angry when I think of some of the statements in this thread. Some made me really hopeful, others truely destroyed the image I had of the footbag community so far. That's okay, now that I've realized that being a footbagger does not exclude being a brainwashed chauvinist and obedient patriot.

dizzy
Multidex Master

Post by dizzy » 02 Feb 2003 15:31

Though I said I was done here, very quickly, I wanted to thank Linosphere for his words while posting some new links.

Again, I'd like to read what more of you non-US people think about this. Please share.
LinoSphere wrote: All of the major network and cable news stations are privately owned businesses.
I just wanted to add to this that not only are all the networks privately owned, but increasingly, they are owned by fewer and fewer companies.

"...five companies are now the gatekeepers and decision makers for the programming choices of the vast majority of {the} American people..."
-- Joint Comments, Writers Guild of America west, Et Al. Jan 2, 2003

http://www.democraticmedia.org/issues/mediaownership/

http://www.cjr.org/owners/

http://www.mediachannel.org/news/indepth/fcc/

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/business ... _5-26.html

http://www.fair.org/media-woes/corporate.html

I can't believe I forgot this one:

http://www.theyrule.net - Arguably one of the most important links I've ever found.

http://www.adbusters.org/

http://www.mediawatch.com/

http://www.reclaimthemedia.org/

http://www.futurefarmers.com/

Wow - there are lots of them aren't there? I can add more if anybody wants me to.

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 02 Feb 2003 18:30

thank you allan

i just felt like i had to participate in this discussion and thats all i could think to talk about.
-Aldous Huxley

dizzy
Multidex Master

Post by dizzy » 02 Feb 2003 19:32

Matt wrote:thank you allan

i just felt like i had to participate in this discussion and thats all i could think to talk about.
It's all good Matt. I didn't really mean to bite your head off either :)

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 04 Feb 2003 18:49

i have acquired many ideas for an essay i now have to write. (persuasive essays). Any ideas what i could use for a thesis??
-Aldous Huxley

dan
Fearless

Post by dan » 05 Feb 2003 03:28

first of all i want to say that i didnt read the whole thread. please punch me right in the face if im saying stupid things that have been discussed before :?

but there are some things i have to say.

do all the politicans trully represent the will of their nation within this decission to attack iraq? ie have a look at blair. 80% of his inhabitants are against war. DOES HE REPRESENT THE WILL OF HIS NATION? does he represent what he was once elected for?

im proud of having a premier who in fact seems to be the only person who does what he was elected for. even if he "seperates" his country from the rest of the world. stop beating the germans for beeing against war. this is democracy! being able to say what you think about a certain subject without beeing punished for it.

where can this small little war about weapons and mainly oil lead to? you can be sure about the islamic world will react. terrorism will increase. this could end in beeing a bomb busting out the whole world and change everything built up so far. im getting really anxious while thinking about that.

i dont want to offend anybody and anybodys opinion in here. i just want to ask some questions and give my two cents. and its hard to dicuss about these facts in a foreign language. so please forgive my bad english.

i thought a lot about some fact that came up in my mind. though i know it is offending someone in here i want to make these statements:

since the end of world war II there has never ever been such fascistic (sp? in term of the nazis) behavior than bush's. i thought of haider and berlusconi (austrian and italian politicians) beeing the biggest nazis at the moment. this now seems to be wrong when im looking at the american president.

on one hand bush is willing to fire atomic weapons if saddam is attacking with chemical weapons. that means bush is taking the death of thousands of civilians into account, while the american nation is crying about some spacetroopers that came to death (im sad about that for sure). flying into space can be risky, but these people knew about the risk they were taking when doing this job. it was their own decission.
Daniel Neufeld
- footbagsport.de-Team -
- SFW -

dizzy
Multidex Master

Post by dizzy » 06 Feb 2003 02:27

Matt
Post Master General

Re: im not wrong, we just have different views

Post by Matt » 09 Feb 2003 08:57

dizzy wrote:
Really? Thanks for the clarification. You know what? I watched those planes crash into those buildings that morning LIVE on television and I cried like never before. Those were HUMAN lives that were lost. If you think I cared whether they were "Americans" or "Canadians" then you wholly under-estimate my intelligence and I apparently have wholly over-estimated yours. What happened on September the 11th was a tradegy beyond what words can express and I mourn for the victims of that horrible morning as citizens of the planet.
do you mourn for the thousands that die EVERY DAY from starvation etc.?
-Aldous Huxley

dizzy
Multidex Master

Post by dizzy » 09 Feb 2003 14:37

:roll: While this is off topic and getting back to being personal, (and I feel I am being provoked to stoke a dead conversation) I will answer; if only to bring this topic back to the top of the list so that maybe more people will read the words spoken about the impending "war".

Yes.

While I may not shed a tear on a daily basis and I have never seen a starving child die in front of me, I am keenly aware of the statistics that tell us that world wide, 40,000 children die *every day* of easily curable diseases and starvation. I mourn for these children through protest. And I use this fact in in my frequent debates over why I am a vegetarian.

While there are many reasons for the conditions in which these children live and die, I can bring the conversation somewhat back on topic by saying that US policies(taken advantage of by US corportations), foreign and internal, share the bulk of the blame and contribute a great deal to the hatred of the USA around the globe. The complacency and ignorance of most North Americans is also to blame (please note that when I say "North Americans, I am including Canadians and somewhat excluding most Mexicans).

North American consumption and greed is out of control and while many of you may not make the connection between eating at McDonalds and 40,000 dead children, be aware thet every time you walk into Costco or Walmart and buy some huge box of nick nacks and/or go to Burger King for your combo meal you are in fact *directly* contributing to those deaths.

I will cut this short and conclude by sharing a few of my favorite quotes:

Think Globally, Act Locally.

Never doubt that a small group of dedicated individuals can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

We are not humans having a spiritual experience, we are spirits having a human experience. - ??(if anybody can tell me who said this, I'd be stoked).

dizzy
Multidex Master

A Little Song for the War Monger

Post by dizzy » 09 Feb 2003 14:47

I just got this forwarded to me by a friend. It had no name for credit :(

Little song ("If you're happy and you know it" melody)
for all the war mongers out there:

If you cannot find Osama, bomb Iraq.
If the markets are a drama, bomb Iraq.
If the terrorists are frisky,
Pakistan is looking shifty,
North Korea is too risky,
Bomb Iraq.

If we have no allies with us, bomb Iraq.
If we think someone has dissed us, bomb Iraq.
So to hell with the inspections,
Let's look tough for the elections,
Close your mind and take directions,
Bomb Iraq.

It's "pre-emptive non-aggression", bomb Iraq.
Let's prevent this mass destruction, bomb Iraq.
They've got weapons we can't see,
And that's good enough for me
'Cos it'all the proof I need
bomb Iraq.

If you never were elected, bomb Iraq.
If your mood is quite dejected, bomb Iraq.
If you think Saddam's gone mad,
With the weapons that he had,
(And he tried to kill your dad),
Bomb Iraq.

If your corporate fraud is growin', bomb Iraq.
If your ties to it are showin', bomb Iraq.
If your politics are sleazy,
And hiding that ain't easy,
And your manhood's getting queasy,
Bomb Iraq.

Fall in line and follow orders, bomb Iraq.
For our might knows not our borders, bomb Iraq.
Disagree? We'll call it treason,
Let's make war not love this season,
Even if we have no reason,
Bomb Iraq.

Matt
Post Master General

Post by Matt » 09 Feb 2003 15:18

ok

i just think its ridiculous when people say that 9/11 is the worst thing ever. or 5 astronauts die? thats horrible. Especially when people say things like "the US thinks of themselves as the best in the world" and then they say that there is no greater tragedy than 9/11.....

i am 100% not talking about you allan, its just something that annoys me
-Aldous Huxley