Profitability of selling

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
dangardiner
Circle Kicker

Profitability of selling

Post by dangardiner » 08 May 2006 17:33

I am a stitcher, and I know there are alot of shredders out there, but my question is how profitable is selling footbags? I am a reasonably accomplished sticher, and I can make a quality bag, but are there enough customers out there? if I make it will there be someone to buy it? I wouldn't be worried if people knew me but I'm fairly annonamous, I don't have a recognisable name, or a reputation, would people buy from me?
Danny Gardiner

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 08 May 2006 18:01

Nah, you have to establish a reputation for yourself in the footbag community. People do that by going to tournaments, sharing photos of their latest bags, and word-of-mouth. Good luck!

PS- Are you from a marketing department? :wink: The real money is getting into stores that sell similar products. Hand making items that sell for 30 dollars a pop will never make anyone rich.
Last edited by shredzilla on 08 May 2006 18:03, edited 1 time in total.
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Roy
Multidex Master

Post by Roy » 08 May 2006 18:02

Post some pictures. Send a bag to a good footbagger who would review your bags. People would buy them if their good, people wouldnt if they werent good. Simple enough.
Roy Bradish
Royal Footbags >> 32 panels!

dangardiner
Circle Kicker

Post by dangardiner » 08 May 2006 18:11

thanks, and no I'm not from a marketing department, but theres always the future, and i will work hard to improve my stitching
Danny Gardiner

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 09 May 2006 06:43

Danny,

I'd hate to be a "pro" stitcher. For me, stitching is a good way to make some pocket cash, and make something cool for friends new and old to enjoy. It's a fun little craft. It's great for making some extra beer money at the footbag tournament.

Matt
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

hackeysnacker

Post by hackeysnacker » 09 May 2006 08:23

beer money
that and u'll never have to buy a bag in order to play

shredzilla
Post Master General

Post by shredzilla » 09 May 2006 08:40

hackeysnacker wrote:
beer money
that and u'll never have to buy a bag in order to play
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. It's like being a jedi and making your own lightsaber 8)
J. Chris "Thread-killer" Miller

Zeb Jackson
Post Master General

Post by Zeb Jackson » 09 May 2006 08:55

ill try one if you want ;)

Hakker
Multidex Master

Post by Hakker » 09 May 2006 15:23

Yeah, just give away 3-5 bags and ask the people to put recommendations in their sigs if they like them, that'll help your name to get around.
|\|3L$0|\| W3$-|-
Five feet of fury!!!
Im back!

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 09 May 2006 15:36

3-5 bags is not near enough to get your name out. maybe if youve made lots of bags and have your style down. if you make 5 bags, and start selling, youll never have a consistant product until way down the line.

i havent officially started selling yet for that reason. i gotta get more consistant, and get my filler down to a t.

ive found out that giving out lots of bags, and trading lots is the best way to go. ive given away every bag ive made except like 3 so far.

so... now its definetly not profitable. but im just starting too. one day, i may make my money back, and ill have a shit ton of respect (hopefully) if i do good. i just want to have some gas money from doing this.

and free footbags from other stitchers. thats where it gets to be worth it. you spend a few hours making a footbag worthy of trading, and in return you get an awesome bag from another stitcher.

not having to spend 35 bucks for every bag you get is more valuable than making the money back to me.

Roy
Multidex Master

Post by Roy » 09 May 2006 15:48

brinard wrote: not having to spend 35 bucks for every bag you get is more valuable than making the money back to me.
I hear that brinard. Its the way to go.
Roy Bradish
Royal Footbags >> 32 panels!

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 09 May 2006 18:02

I see stitching as a way to support my addiction to Footbag. The money i make from bags go towards gas money, beer money and food money at tournies.
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 10 May 2006 14:15

Jdigges wrote:I see stitching as a way to support my addiction to Footbag. The money i make from bags go towards gas money, beer money and food money at tournies.
Same here, but personally I don't take monetary value to heart sometimes. Well because I have little time to actually play footbag these days, stitchiing is fulfilling to me when I have time doing it sitting down. Of course, beer money doesn't sound half bad. :)
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Hakker
Multidex Master

Post by Hakker » 10 May 2006 14:58

brinard wrote:3-5 bags is not near enough to get your name out.
if you make 5 bags, and start selling, youll never have a consistant product until way down the line.
No, I mean GIVE away those bags, but keep on making them so you have enough to sell. maybe 5 isnt enough, but if you get people raving, i think it is.
|\|3L$0|\| W3$-|-
Five feet of fury!!!
Im back!

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 10 May 2006 15:02

yeah. but thats only if youcatch on quick. im on my 11th, and theyre just starting to look even and nice

but yeah. give alot away. then trade. then sell.

?
Hack Fiend

Post by ? » 10 May 2006 23:36

I'll buy a bag off you and post a review.
Michael Clasen, the living incarnation of the symbol "~".

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 11 May 2006 14:44

Selling footbags is never be a good way to make money. I'd say you make about $5/hour, and its not exactly always consistent. For me, its simply a way to have the money to buy new bags from others.

Mathieu Latulippe
Shredalicious

Post by Mathieu Latulippe » 15 May 2006 22:41

Say you had your own website and began selling your footbags to people, could you state "no refunds".. how does that usually work?

Me and my buddy are really getting into stitching, and I'm personally considering adding them in a specific location of the concept website; but i don't want to deal with sending people their money back for whatever reasons.

What do you say?

brinard
Flower Child

Post by brinard » 16 May 2006 06:32

sounds smart. but be prepared to be swamped with orders. thats a possibility.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 16 May 2006 09:45

Two things

1) You are free to state no refunds or exchanges. It's your business.

2) The first time someone gets a bad bag, assure yourself everyone will hear about that bag more than any good bag you will ever make. Don't expect players to stand beside a stitcher who won't stand behind their products.