CRIBS, The Shoe Not The Show... What do you think?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
VIKINGWARRIOR
Circle Kicker

Post by VIKINGWARRIOR » 31 Mar 2008 16:17

So a few weeks ago I heard about the "CRIBS". I checked 'em out. Ya can't beat the price, $15, I even found them on sale for $8.99. They had that fake crappy leather but I got rid of that in all the right spots. They have that simple look and feel, just like Rods. I do have to say, going from Rods to the Crib felt a bit weird because the Cribs are a lot heavier. Other than that I think plenty of people will find it a fine shoe, especially for someone just starting out, most long time wont bother. I do think that if a new kicker starts with Cribs and gets the basics down, then move to a lighter shoe they should find themselves moving alot faster. Perhaps the Crib is more of a training shoe then. I guess thats about all I have to comtribute for now. I've got some pics from the mod process that I'll post when I get a chance but I was wondering if anyone else has tried the Crib and what they thought.

- VIKING WARRIOR - [EFC]

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 31 Mar 2008 16:51

Lots of athletes use resistance training, that could be really cool! Please give a review once you know what's up!

matt
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 31 Mar 2008 18:10

im not so sure about a training with heavier shoes, and then swapping to lighter ones for the real stuff. I think that it would sort off set your balance or whatever. I know that when i play in quantums for a long time its hard for me to use lavers, and vice versa.

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 31 Mar 2008 18:41

I had Waylon buy a pair of them for me the last time there was a thread about them. I got them (thanks wayway! want some money?) chopped them up and took pictures and then did nothing with any of it.

This all happened during my ankle injury so I couldn't exactly test the shoes out to complete the review.

All in all they are about as good as g-units and a steal at 15 bucks or whatever.

The only flaw (and it's a sorta biggie) is that the instep edge of the sole is not vertical like on a laver, it is at about 93 degrees instead of the laver 90 degrees. This meant that to really have a good surface it made the most sense to shave some off the remaining instep rubber to make it meet the inside surface panel more smoothly.

I have some pictures, maybe they are even on my flickr...

That surface is under the leather and a thick black foam.

I don't have a better picture of the toe after modding, that white foam layer came off and it's black like the inside there.

I also don't have a picture of the instep after I carved it (I will take one), but I have a pic of the angle before modding.

It's a real handsome shoe too.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 01 Apr 2008 08:42

It's fine, Tom. I know you were sort of speechless about the color I chose for you. Want a black model? :)

I think these shoes are pretty good, but like Tom mentioned the trouble is the clipper/instep area. I don't know what you can do to them other than sanding some of the material off to get a flatter surface. I was thinking of using a plaster material where you cut a piece of the tubing it comes in, knead until color is uniform, and apply liberally like you would with shoe goo. However, the aggressive wear on footbag shoes might crack and destroy the hardened plaster in a way.

Maybe a tubing mod is something to consider.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 01 Apr 2008 11:25

Waylon, I like the colours in the end, though I would have picked black I still think the brown looks cool.

Carving the instep made more sense than adding shit to it because once you remove the leather/foam from the inside there is quite a pocket and carving makes the surfaces meet well.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

ObArA'BaRs
Flower Child

Post by ObArA'BaRs » 08 Apr 2008 06:14

Good review. Thanks for the info. :)
Im 20
JSACK wrote: wrote:alright well me and obara'bars, shredded our dicks off, since we are both in high school, obviously there is some sort of talent show

Keep footbag'n till yo skins saggin.......

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 08 Apr 2008 06:30

I can't find them on eBay at all. I wouldn't mind picking up a pair as my quantums are full of holes.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 08 Apr 2008 09:07

They're too cheap to be on ebay. :)

If you want a pair, I can get one for you. Just name your color and shoe size. I think these shoes run on the Laver sizing spectrum (since they are so similar).
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Pengu
think pink

Post by Pengu » 10 Apr 2008 05:53

I think the drill mod for the soles would make these shoes lighter.
Pengpeng Du

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 10 Apr 2008 08:10

Thanks Waylon. I'm gonna have to take a rain-check on that offer. I did my taxes last night and it turns out I owe alot more than I can afford to pay. So all purchases will be put on hold for a while.