Buying Stitching Equipment

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Omnified
Hack Fiend

Buying Stitching Equipment

Post by Omnified » 20 Dec 2008 14:13

Hey, been kicking for about 3 weeks or so and now I'm into stitching. I've just stitched a 32 panel out of an old shirt and now I'd like to move up to better materials and was wondering where you guys get your fabrics/fillings for yours. Non-online resources are preferred. Thanks and sorry if this has been asked already.
Eric L.

Practice makes perfect, but no ones perfect so why practice?

JoshC.
Multidex Master

Post by JoshC. » 20 Dec 2008 14:26

Ultrasuede lite. Fieldsfabrics.com
7.5 lead shot. Gun shop
Josh Cummings

I'll rest when I'm dead.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Check out my shred blog: http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 20&start=0
Check out my skate blog: http://cummingsspeedskating.blogspot.com/

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 20 Dec 2008 15:16

Filler you can buy locally at a Walmart or a gun shop (I think Walmart sells shot filler). Fabric - ultrasuede light - is best invested at Fields Fabrics [dot] com.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Omnified
Hack Fiend

Post by Omnified » 20 Dec 2008 15:55

Thanks guys, there doesn't seem to be a Field Fabrics near me but I'll see what I can do.
Eric L.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 20 Dec 2008 15:57

if you can't buy online, find a friend who can, and have them buy it for you from fieldsfabrics.com

or go to the local fabric store and get creative.

matt
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Omnified
Hack Fiend

Post by Omnified » 20 Dec 2008 16:06

I'll try but most of my friends either can't shop online or they're just too lazy to do me a favor.

I'm not too sure of local fabric stores around me but I checked AC Moore and Wal-Mart earlier and they didn't have any ultrasuede light.

I also just sent in a form to get two free samples of ultrasuede light, hopefully it'll work.
Eric L.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 21 Dec 2008 06:41

What you can try to do is look at your phone book and find a fabric store around your area. Invest your money on some types of suede; although you won't be able to find ultrasuede light, I've seen other people use microsuede and microfleece which are two types of fabrics that can be found locally. Both materials have been deemed pretty good for footbag.
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 21 Dec 2008 09:46

Wasabi wrote:...although you won't be able to find ultrasuede light...
Jeremy used to find Ultrasuede light in fabric stores all the time, and Fletch and I have found it too.

Call around asking for it, and even if it's not exactly the right stuff, most good fabric stores will know what you're talking about and try to show you a good substitution. You just want the material to be about as thin as you can get it.
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Omnified
Hack Fiend

Post by Omnified » 21 Dec 2008 14:10

Thanks for the ideas guys, I'll see what I can do.
Eric L.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 21 Dec 2008 15:13

In NYC it's much tougher to find quality close to ultrasuede light. Usually shop keepers will try to hassle you in buying material that's much thicker than USL, even thicker than ultrasuede soft. However, I have found 2-3 stores around the Fashion District that i haven't had the time to research on, so I might spend a day asking around.
NYFA represent.