pre wash amaretta?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
kidzanshin
Shredaholic

pre wash amaretta?

Post by kidzanshin » 01 Mar 2009 09:50

Ive heard that amaretta doesnt hold up to too much washing, but do other stitchers still pre wash it as you would with ultrasuede/facile? or would this be detrimental to the fabric and weaken it too much before stitching?
Matt Bailey

"never forget the cultivation of the mind and the body"

Flutterbags for sale and trade http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=19298 £10 / €14 / $21

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 01 Mar 2009 15:10

i dont prewash any of my fabric... what does that do? (never heard of this before)
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 01 Mar 2009 15:49

calemccoy wrote:i dont prewash any of my fabric
Just as Cale said up there. Prewashing is just a method to soften the material and to remove any dust built-up within the fabric because of how it has been stored in fabric deprtments and warehouses.

For facile, I doubt there is any danger in the prewashing process, because I rarely see any dye leak from certain colors (any of the reds, certain greens and blues, etc.) which you would normally see wash off from leather/pleather. However, I feel that amaretta is different in regards to facile, since it seems like the type of fabric that you would dry-clean carefully instead due to its delicate nature. Also, the dye on amaretta suede does come off fairly easily during a wash. I've seen the dye of red amaretta wash off pretty badly after an unfortunate soak from the rain.

So, my advice is to not to prewash amaretta.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

kidzanshin
Shredaholic

Post by kidzanshin » 04 Mar 2009 08:27

sorry, late reply

cheers waylon, thats what i thought but wanted to check! look out for hybrids from me in about a week :D
Matt Bailey

"never forget the cultivation of the mind and the body"

Flutterbags for sale and trade http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=19298 £10 / €14 / $21