aaaaaarrg !!! stitching a 12p bag

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

aaaaaarrg !!! stitching a 12p bag

Post by akalazou » 17 Sep 2009 19:05

i feel like an idiot caus i stated stitching like 4 years ago and i still cant make a clean 12p, i used the search engine, look at all the 15 - 18 pages on stitching tutorial and i still cant find the proper way to make one. :( ieven tried to youtube for help. icant find anything usefull.

does anyone can help me out ? like, what is the ( or one of the )properpatern for the thread. all stitchers says to start with 4p, 14p or12p bags, 4 and 14 are pretty easy to imagine but i think the 12p is way much harder.

32p are easier to do than 12p imo

HELP!!!!

oh, and btw, who was stitching amazing 12p some months/years ago ?? i dont him posting bags anymore ?

ty

p.s. i just wanna try it without frustration :)
Julien Cote

Proud to be sponsored by http://www.kolosport.com

WyrmFyre
Fearless

Post by WyrmFyre » 17 Sep 2009 23:18

Ive just tried to explain how I put together a 12 panel, but even i couldnt understand it :D

If i get a chance later today Ill try and get a picture guide or a video up.
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 18 Sep 2009 05:51

that would be so awesome
Julien Cote

Brad Benson
Hack Fiend

Post by Brad Benson » 18 Sep 2009 12:44

I have done allot of 12 panels. They are somewhat of a pain in the butt. I don't know if I can explain it very well without pictures. There are several ways to go about it. I mostly just do drivers for footbag golf in 12 panel. Like this vinyl driver. The reason I do 12 panel drivers is it creates less seams than a 32 which allows the vinyl to stretch and bounce back but at the same time a good 12 panel is nice and round. This makes for a bouncy driver that you can kick a long ways. Why are you making a 12 panel?

akalazou
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by akalazou » 18 Sep 2009 13:02

i just want to try it out
Julien Cote

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 18 Sep 2009 15:23

12-panels are weird, but certainly doable. It's the gather that might get a little weird, but my best advice is to eyeball the best you can. Or have a sewing style where you control the gather without using a gathering tool to make it look super even.

Remember that you are always working with pentagons, which have 5 sides to them. Each of the 5 sides will attach themselves to a side of another pentagon, and so forth. Start by working on the first pentagon with all five sides sewn to 5 other pentagons. Once you have that covered, all you have to do is consider which sides need adding, and which sides just need attaching. What I mean by this is: which parts of the pentagon you need to add more pentagons on, and which just need the sides to be attached to prexisting parts to be sewn together.

Take the second "pentagon" that you're going to start sewing up, after finishing the first. If you look closely, all you need to do is add two more pentagons, but sew together two sides of the pentagon to other pre-existing sides. Those that need to be sewn together from prexisting sides should be from the beginning of the pentagon and the end if you are sewing clockwise/counter-clockwise. This process happens over and over again on a 12-panel. From step one (one pentagon finished), you should concentrate on reaching toward the half-way point (six pentagons finished, with 5 of the pentagonal panels unfinished and jutting out; half of the bag should be finished in a half-sphere to make things easier imo) where you are only left with just one remaining pentagon that needs to be attached to the bag. From here on out, it should just be sewing up loose ends.

Once you have that formula down, of attaching panels and just sewing together pre-existing sides, all you really need to worry about is gather. Twelves are easy, but are nothing like sewing a 32-panel where all components are separate. For 12s the components really are a congolmerate of each other.

PM or e-mail me if you ever need more advice about sewing a 12-panel, Julien. I'll try to help you out the best I can (if I have any free time).
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 18 Sep 2009 15:28

Well, actually a better way of imagining how you should reach your goals in sewing a 12-panel should be: 1 completed pentagon, 3 completed pentagons (joined at a corner), 6, 7, and then sew up all of the remaining sides.

Hope this helps.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87