Bag Buying FAQ

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
mc
Modifiend

Bag Buying FAQ

Post by mc » 17 May 2010 16:09

1. Where can I find a bag?

If you do not want to spend a lot of money but you still want a quality freestyle bag, a great bag is the Mr Sandman from http://www.FreedomFootbags.com. It is filled with sand for easy stalling, and they are easy to control. I do not know of a better bag for the same price.

If you want to get a hand-stitched 32 ($20-35), you can get one from Freedom as well, but you will probably get better prices and customization options if you buy directly from the stitchers on Modified. Check the "Bags Ive Made" thread in the Bags and Equipment forum to see who is active, and also check the FOR SALE forum to see who has an active sale page for their bags.

2. What material, fill, weight, size, etc, should my bag be?

Most of the best freestyle bags that I have used are made of facile, amaretta, and / or microsuede. All three of these materials play well. I find that all-facile bags feel the way I like (soft, strong). It's up to you and the stitcher to discuss what material you want based on your cosmetic and play preferences.

The fill type that I prefer is a very simple one - some kind of round metal bits for weight, and some kind of plastic bits for fullness. Some people like others. What is more important than the fill type is the weight and fullness. Most bags weigh from 45 to 75 grams (I prefer mine at 70-80g) and 40-80% full (I prefer mine 50-60% full). A soft, slightly-larger-than-a-golf-ball bag that is 50-60% full and 70-80g in weight has a very high likelihood of being very playable even when it is brand new (I call this the "50 60 70 80 rule").

3. Which stitcher should I choose?

First off, take heart - it is not hard to make a good bag, and if you pick one of the popular stitchers, there is a very good chance that they are going to send you an awesome, playable bag, especially if you specify that you want the bag at that fullness and weight that I mentioned above.

So, to make your choice, read the Bags I've Made thread and the For Sale forum to see who has the bags that you think are prettiest. After all, that's about all you can tell from a picture - a beautiful bag that is not filled right will not play well, and an ugly, flawed bag that is filled right will play as well as any.

I recommend you go back at least 5 or 6 pages on the Bags I've Made thread, because there are active stitchers who may not have posted in a few weeks.

Often, people will write reviews of the stitchers they like or dislike in the For Sale threads, so make sure to read those.

Once you have an idea of a few you're interested in, contact one or a few of them with a Modified PM or a post in their For Sale thread and see who can make the bag with the pattern, colors, and fill type you want in the time frame that you are thinking.

4. Should I consider other types of bags you haven't mentioned?

The bags you use should reflect the way that you want to play. You should ideally try lots of different bags and find one that just works for your style and preferences. The bags I have mentioned are really awesome safe choices if you want a bag that is going to play well for freestyle, but there are lots of fun bags out there with more or less panels than what I've mentioned, different fills and materials, and so on. It's all about what *you* want. I recommend you start with one of the safe choices and then experiment with the different styles that you run into. Who knows; maybe you'll have a blast with a shuttlecock or a sepak takraw ball!
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Dawn Of Freestyle
Shredaholic

Post by Dawn Of Freestyle » 21 May 2010 21:25

Thanks Matt for sending people to Freedom! In addition to the Mr. Sandbag we also have the new Infinity Footbag that is good for beginner and intermediate players who want to start learning freestyle.
If you want to get a hand-stitched 32 ($20-35), you can get one from Freedom as well, but you will probably get better prices and customization options if you buy directly from the stitchers on Modified.
If you want to get it fast - Freedom is a great choice! If you want to choose your colors...call our Freedom Line after noon MST and I'll tell you what colors we have in stock. 866-542-5373 or email me genzu@freedomfootbags.com Not quite a custom footbag...but you'll have a great bag fast!

Feel free to go directly to the source...there are a lot of awesome stitchers out there!
Shredita
Sunny Dawn Freeman Genz

lotus
Multidex Master

Post by lotus » 13 Jan 2011 04:28

elemental footbags also offers good freestyle footbags that are affordable, perform well, and ready to ship right away ... http://www.elementalfootbags.com.

our standard sized freestyle bags strike a balance between pop [kicking], flop [stalling], and durability with their larger size and mix of plastic and metal filler ... and many here will atest to the fact that our mini freestyle bags have reached a very high standard, being produced at the same sizes and weights as player-made bags, and are now filled with the next generation elemental metal filler.

you can also ask what colours are in stock, or simply ask for the softest/emptiest/fullest/brightest/etc, by emailing me at lotus@elementalfootbags.com.
only the movement moves
lotus
www.elementalfootbags.com

Footbag Central
Circle Kicker

Re: Bag Buying FAQ

Post by Footbag Central » 08 Mar 2013 09:37

You can also find a huge selection of footbags at Footbag Central http://www.footbagcentral.com/index.php
We carry tons of brands: Abshire, Bomb footbags, Pro Kicker, Elemental, Sandmaster, Dirt bag, Greater Cause, and a couple from Freedom footbags....
We are also verry descriptive on each of the footbags we sell and give alot of specs. on each footbag!
We also ship to any where in the world for only $2.99 :D

Footbag Central
Check us out at: http://www.footbagcentral.com/index.php
or follow us on Twitter @ https://twitter.com/FootbagCentral

Love God, Love People :)

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Mar 2013 12:24

I think something important for a bag buying FAQ is to note that a bag made by not only an experienced stitcher but an experienced PLAYER is more apt to be ideally playable and not just pretty and well-constructed. It's difficult to claim that a bag is good for shuffle and fearless links if the stitcher can't do these things him or herself.

ilovecoheed
Hack Fiend

Post by ilovecoheed » 08 Mar 2013 18:43

^this. I'm definitely one for doing my fair share of research on a stitchers stitching and shredding ability before buying a bag.

richardabshire
Fearless

Post by richardabshire » 09 Mar 2013 07:00

At 41 years old, I can still do fives and triple dexs. I only use my bags. Not to mention that I have been stitching for 23 years. Just speaking up for my products.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Aug 2013 09:18

Muffinman wrote:I think something important for a bag buying FAQ is to note that a bag made by not only an experienced stitcher but an experienced PLAYER is more apt to be ideally playable and not just pretty and well-constructed. It's difficult to claim that a bag is good for shuffle and fearless links if the stitcher can't do these things him or herself.
I kind of disagree. My 2 preferred stitchers over the last few years have been Waylon and Hania, neither who are shuffle/fearless machines. They still make a quality product.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 08 Aug 2013 11:35

C-Fan wrote:
Muffinman wrote:I think something important for a bag buying FAQ is to note that a bag made by not only an experienced stitcher but an experienced PLAYER is more apt to be ideally playable and not just pretty and well-constructed. It's difficult to claim that a bag is good for shuffle and fearless links if the stitcher can't do these things him or herself.
I kind of disagree. My 2 preferred stitchers over the last few years have been Waylon and Hania, neither who are shuffle/fearless machines. They still make a quality product.
Seconded. The best bag I played with at Worlds was one that Ivan made who is still in his intermediate phase.
Matt Kemmer