62 panel footbag stitching help

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Ramen God
Multidex Master

62 panel footbag stitching help

Post by Ramen God » 21 Jun 2010 11:23

I was planning on making a 62 (For some reason, I love them.) panel, but after looking at one I see the technique might be different than that of a 32. So I was wondering if you stitchers who have made 62s could explain them, like similarities and differences to the sitching of a 32.
Basically, what do I need to know?
Tips?

Thanks!

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 21 Jun 2010 14:22

62s eh?

My first thought would be to consider the triangles as their own singular "core" panels alongside with the pentagons, much like how pentagons are for the 32-panel. So, stitch a pentagon with 5 squares all around, then sew 5 triangles on any adjacent squares and attach the next set of 5 squares, and then repeat with the whole system of pentagons/squares to continue into the schematic of the 62-panel.

Does that make any sense?
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 21 Jun 2010 16:25

Sort of. So maybe this would be a good reference image? It is very much like what you are saying. (The image is to be printed twice, two shallow bowl parts and 2 "snakes."

http://isotropic.org/polyhedra/3454.pdf
:roll: hmm... I guess I'll have to think this through some more.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 22 Jun 2010 09:10

Okay, here's a step-by-step program:

1. Attach the squares (5) on all five sides of the pentagon. You will now have geometrical flower with 5 square petals.
2. Between 2 squares, attach the triangle and then add another square at the remainder side of the triangle. Repeat this onto the four other portions where the triangle(s) are supposed to be.
3. Repeat step one, this time connecting the squares onto the pentagon (just like how you would for a 32-panel with pentagons and hexagons). Once you can do all you can do with attaching pentagons, repeat step two.

*When the opportunity shows itself, loop the thread through the stitches where the pentagon/triangles/squares meet so that you can have a better foundation on the 62-panel, but also to make your work look straighter and cleaner. It's similar to how a 20-panel works where you loop the thread through the end holes to bundle all five triangles/hexagons together.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 23 Jun 2010 04:08

Do you have a picture of that?

I haven't yet made a 20 panel. I need to have a visual see see what you're talking about. :roll:

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 03 Jul 2010 04:32

Waylon, how does that work, I have no idea...

Corey
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Corey » 03 Jul 2010 04:53

Ramen God
Multidex Master

Post by Ramen God » 03 Jul 2010 08:14

Wasabi wrote: *When the opportunity shows itself, loop the thread through the stitches where the pentagon/triangles/squares meet so that you can have a better foundation on the 62-panel, but also to make your work look straighter and cleaner. It's similar to how a 20-panel works where you loop the thread through the end holes to bundle all five triangles/hexagons together.
I know how it's put together, but not this part about the thread looping.