Why the heck do they fill bags with sand??

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
TylerTarris
Hack Fiend

Why the heck do they fill bags with sand??

Post by TylerTarris » 05 Jan 2011 18:06

Well, I measured out the weight of my extremely mushy broken in sandmaster without the fill, carefully calculated a good amount of .25g, .12g, and copper bb's that would make the bag exactly 50-52 grams, and feel perfect. its about 40% filled, with a perfect amount of filler and restitched with floss, then rolled, etc. I went from stalling consistantly 20% of the time to 80% of the time, and can now kick 60 insides whereas before my top was 28, i can hit 30 toe kicks, top before was 10, and im getting 10x better performance. Its a bazillion times better feeling, and it was perfect detour from starting my homework, after this realization im starting to think about buying about 3 abshire mini a910's, and a pair of lavers :D

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 05 Jan 2011 18:22

abshires and lavers=good idea, and they fill them with sand because it is cheaper, probably and ussually sand is easier to stall, some players prefer sand but ussually only beginners, but yeah imo metal is 100% better
Ryan

zachatree
Happy Hippy Hoffa

Post by zachatree » 06 Jan 2011 20:31

get a bear bag

abshires are really light an poofy... personally i dont like them.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 06 Jan 2011 23:30

get a zachatree bag!

hehe, i gave some pointers at NYJ, and his bags are getting juiiicy.

abshire makes good bags if you know what to ask him for ;) if you do go with abshire, i would say send him a pm here with specifics about what you want.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Jiffy
Shredalicious

Post by Jiffy » 07 Jan 2011 12:31

well i have heard a lot of good things about abshires but have not actually used one, but i can deffinately vouch for how great zach's bags are! :D
Ryan

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 08 Jan 2011 07:34

zachatree wrote:get a bear bag

abshires are really light an poofy... personally i dont like them.

Bear makes nice bags.......but,

My abshire is 68 grams and mushy......basically the guy can make any kind of bag you want. The regular abshires are more of an overall footbagers bag. THe new pro model 65 in ammeretta is SO CHOICE.

ps...i love peanut butter so I didnt give you the rolly eyes
SHRED HARD!

Alf
Fearless

Post by Alf » 08 Jan 2011 13:13

sand= OLDSKOOL!!! :D

lotus
Multidex Master

Post by lotus » 08 Jan 2011 16:29

well ... MIDSKOOL at the very least :wink:.

sandbags do one thing very well ... STALL!
and they are very durable ... downside is that everything else about them [pop, setting, flight, etc] sucks!!

they were all the rave, but the vast majority of good players moved away from them around 8-10 years ago, as metal filler came on the scene and players realised they could get the consistent stalls like sand + the kicking, setting, flight benefits of more traditional pellet-filled footbags.
only the movement moves
lotus
www.elementalfootbags.com

jtm94
Hack Fiend

Post by jtm94 » 19 Jan 2011 11:48

In my opinion I like the way sand contrasts to other footbags. I just like having one to bust it out every once in a while. I even made a quick little microsuede 4-panel footbag that I filled with black graphite sand that plays so smooth.
I see a well made sand footbag outlasting most any kind of metal footbag any day.
I do still like metal though, but not big pieces of metal, reallyy tiny little bb's around the size of a mm which is basically metal sand.

Pasquar
Fearless

Post by Pasquar » 23 Mar 2011 08:26

sandbags are perfect for just friendly circles. I've had many a experience with people bitching about my bags because they're too small and heavy.

also, for just a regular circle, sandmasters are perfect, have a lot of bounce and are pretty overall therapeutic as a break from freestyle :)
Nick Pasquarello

Shred on