Bags in Competition

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.

Should bags used in IFPA events be measured and weighed?

Yes
100%

Total votes: 5

PacLoc
Shredalicious

Post by PacLoc » 24 Mar 2011 08:49

One thing I think some are forgetting is that the discussion is about "Freestyle" footbag. Comparing it to non freestyle sports is irrelevant. Comparisons to aggressive skating, skateboarding, freestyle bike, and other sports make more sense. And in those sports there are probably no rules as to what to use, whatever skates, boards, bikes, wheels, bearings, shoes, gloves, pads, pants, shorts, hats, etc. It is common sense that you use the best equipment of your liking to compete with, which may vary from player to player. Regulating it is not Freestyle.
Greg Solis

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 24 Mar 2011 16:40

PacLoc wrote:Comparisons to aggressive skating, skateboarding, freestyle bike, and other sports make more sense. And in those sports there are probably no rules as to what to use...
Freestyle Footbag does have rules. Whether other sports have them or not is not the question. The question is why aren't the rules that Freestyle Footbag does have being enforced? And as a side note, why are so many athletes so against following the rules?

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 27 Mar 2011 06:58

i personally wouldnt mind giving my bag to the judges after my routine, this could be really easy, one extra person at the judges table in frot of a scale that you give your bag to and get it back after 5 seconds. no problem with that.
but then we should also have standard shoes with standard mods (like the formula 1 tires :P ) standard shorts, standard t-shirts... that would go a bit too far i think. and what about people that like to use fugglers because their routine requires juggling... much to discuss. i think since footbag is kind of changing every once in a while we should maybe modify the rules to meet reality a bit more.

but on a sidenote, i think competition bags are pretty much standardised right now. i think you see same size and weight on pretty much every player.
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 27 Mar 2011 09:12

mc wrote:
Footbagger007 wrote:Who gives a shit? There really is not an advantage to a 90g bag compared to 48g bag. You still have to be able to dex, spin, duck, and dive.
and stall.

;)

ya, I agree with this sentiment.
+1

I have still yet to go to my first footbag comp, :oops: ....(I work every weekend)...............but the idea of standardizing a footbag seems a waste of time and disadvantage to the sport......I dont give a shit if you hit a 7>7>7 with a footbag or stuffed monkey...its still a jackpot. Given the difference of muscle mass, weight, height, I.Q., underwear size, religious views, sexual preference, hair color, .....etc........there should be no other standard footbag regulations except it has to be a footbag. (someone please do not start a "what is a footbag "topic which this conversation sort of feels like.
\

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 27 Mar 2011 11:48

mahhkohh wrote: but then we should also have standard shoes with standard mods (like the formula 1 tires :P ) standard shorts, standard t-shirts... that would go a bit too far i think.
Nope. We wouldn't need to standardize those things. They aren't in the Footbag Freestyle Rulebook.

Hitting tricks with random items is fun. I think most of us agree with that. But that doesn't mean it counts for anything in competition.

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 20 Mar 2012 20:23

revival.

I am now lobbying for bags to be weighed in competition. why?
1. Anything over 70 is really quite excessive unless its a massive bag.
2. We should follow the rules that are in place.
3. It is incredibly easy to weigh a bag, and will take no time away from comp.

I'll try to get this started at worlds this year :)
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 21 Mar 2012 13:39

At what weight do u play at most of the time ? I usually keep my main shred bag around 65-67 Grams ( just my preference )
SHRED HARD!

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 21 Mar 2012 17:39

used to play at those weights, still do sometimes.
now i'm at 60-63. mainly changed after worlds last year when I was playing in circles where 57-60 seemed more norm.

i also refuse to stitch standard bags weighing over 70 now.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified