Twisted Footbags

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Twisted Footbags

Post by C-Fan » 18 Jun 2011 16:28

When I started playing in the late 90s, you'd still occasionally see these at tournaments. My net partner recently busted out his old footbag collection, and gave me his Twisted, since he knew I'd appreciate it. I always thought this was a super cool pattern... have any modern stitchers tried anything like this?

Here's what the bag looks like:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7PzOkyqDkQ[/youtube]

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 19 Jun 2011 16:37

Louis Rinowski is the only stitcher I've known that tackled the pattern and made a successful one. I think he made a custom template too.

If I had a busted Twisted, I could make a template out of it and make the bag. It'd be a fun challenge.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

jtm94
Hack Fiend

Post by jtm94 » 22 Jun 2011 18:54

mc posted a picture of the footbag from the vid here: .http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=22398
idk if he ever stitched it though.

mahhkohh
Flower Child

Post by mahhkohh » 13 Jul 2011 13:20

you would need one of these to see how the panels look exactly around the bag, maybe cutting it open and use it to make a template, but that should be the hardest part of this. i tried something similar once, its just awkward to visualize while you sew it.
come get your mÃcrÖ¶ bag today
buy one of my bags and help finance my guitar lessons :)
mäcrö hartig

jaust
Multidex Master

Post by jaust » 14 Jul 2011 08:19

make definite markers on the seams, then cut it open, use the old parts to cut out new ones also copying the markers.... (take care, if the old parts of the bag bend, dont make them flat!)

this principle will work for almost every stitched textile you want to copy...

DubleDex
Shredaholic

Post by DubleDex » 22 Aug 2011 08:21

That was when I got into kicking as well. I remember seeing the Twisted for the first time at the '92 Funtastik. And I had to have one (and I still have it).

However, every one I or my friends ever had blew out at the center of the "arms." It was a really cool and different design, but I also recall it being oddly triangular or pyramid like as opposed to round.

I'd be curious to see how they performed with today's fill and size, but I imagine the blowout issue would still be the same.

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 30 Aug 2011 13:09

Like I said before, I can make the bag. I just need a busted Twisted footbag. It should only take one template and a consistent sewing path with a smidge of gather to make it flexible and not unappealing.

I doubt this is difficult. The one difficult task with the Twisted Footbag is identifying the template, really.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 31 Aug 2011 12:00

Here is the basic idea. It's just a quick sketch and the proportions are not exact, but the arms look thinner/longer. It looks like it would be a pretty forgiving template so you could guesstimate and come up with a good bag after one or two tries.

This is a four panel bag. Each panel is the same size and shape so you only need one template. I drew out how the first panel comes together with the other three. When you take a moment to think about it, the scheme isn't very complex and I think the entire thing can be done with a single thread... I also drew some arrows to illustrate where the next part would come together.

chris dean