Identifying Microsuede

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
WyrmFyre
Fearless

Identifying Microsuede

Post by WyrmFyre » 14 Jul 2013 07:59

Sorry if this has been covered before, I have searched but didnt really find a concrete answer (if there is one).

Could anyone post some pictures, front and back, of some Microsuede examples? Ive got a stash of materials Ive picked up over the past few years, and I have a few pieces which are soft and flexible enough to be used in a footbag, but have a woven backing attached. A couple of the small scraps stand up to some level of "stress testing" (ie. I scuffed them under my feet on some concrete) and the good surface survives well, but the woven back does start to fray. It would help clear up a few concerns for me though If i had something i could reference to :D

Thanks in advance :)

PS : I tried to get a clear photo of what materials I have but my camera isnt up tp scratch for closeups.
Ian Cozens
My FootBlog :: PureShred

jaust
Multidex Master

Re: Identifying Microsuede

Post by jaust » 16 Jul 2013 00:28

You can either burn the edges (carefully!) or put some nailpolish on it to stop it from fraying. Regarding the Identification... it's nearly impossible to do this without having it in my own hands.

Basically Microsuede has a woven groundlayer which is soaked with glue to attach microfibers on top. The Microsuede which is used by Brian for example is also printed.

Ultrasuede in contrast is a completely non-woven material, kind of a fleece, and has a different mixture of materials than microsuede.
Michael L.