Break in Tips (was: doctor)

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Rieferman
Flower Child

Break in Tips (was: doctor)

Post by Rieferman » 10 Sep 2003 12:17

How best to "doctor" a bag to make it as sweet as possible?

I think washing each day is a good start.. and working the material in your hand helps.. But what specifics do ya'll use?

That is, particular soaps? Particular rituals? Do you pray to a certain footbag god? Let's hear it.

PS - you all have inspired me and I'm attempting my first bag (7 years later than I should have).. Slow going, but steady it goes. I'll let you know how my lopsided ugly bag is shortly.
Bob R.

ShredNJ
Multidex Master

Post by ShredNJ » 10 Sep 2003 12:59

I always use three paper towels to dry a bag. i dont know why, i just do.

Good luck with the bag.

Panda Licker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Panda Licker » 10 Sep 2003 13:20

u use paper towels to dry something that is wet? you my friend, are a trendsetter
-Angelo Oliveria

-solid-
BSOS Beast

Post by -solid- » 10 Sep 2003 13:22

i always got my jay with me and when i havent got anything to to its in my hand :D
Belgian Kick Crew
Dimitri Van Den Berg

Post by Guest » 11 Sep 2003 12:06

ShredNJ wrote:I always use three paper towels to dry a bag. i dont know why, i just do.
haha i always use the same yellow dish cloth.

Anyway. Washing amounts depends on how much you play. I only play about 8 hours a week, so I wash my bags about 2 times a week.

Johnson And Johnson hand saop works best for me. :)

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 11 Sep 2003 18:55

by the way, i would think that washing your footbag every day would not be good for its longterm life
with each wash, although dirt is removed, you are abrading the bag, and with almost any material, water is not good for it. nor is soap! But there are things we must do. Id say only wash it when it is dirty. once a week, or is you shred more often, every couple of days. not every day.
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 12 Sep 2003 05:54

Let me be more specific..
I'm referring mostly to the break in period.. I've heard stories of some soaps being better than others.. Or of "tricks" that allow the bag to break in faster.. Whatcha got?
Bob R.

Panda Licker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Panda Licker » 12 Sep 2003 10:39

wut i think helped is pinch the material about a inch down, so that you have no beads in it. then rub those 2 sides together
-Angelo Oliveria

gibsonian
Shredaholic

Post by gibsonian » 15 Sep 2003 16:07

Use shampoo, or if its already broken in, a little conditioner.

Paul Toews
Shredalicious

Post by Paul Toews » 15 Sep 2003 17:26

Shampoo for sure. Lather, rinse, repeat. then Conditioner.

Always with warm water.

Also, massage the bag untill it is dry.
4:20

ShredStylez
Republican

Post by ShredStylez » 15 Sep 2003 18:00

i use all organic shampoo so there aren't any chmicals at all. just natural oils.
There is always a bigger trick.

Go watch a vid. of Dylan Fry.

-Mark "The Force" Schwartz

Rob
Flower Child

Post by Rob » 15 Sep 2003 18:42

Panda Licker wrote:u use paper towels to dry something that is wet? you my friend, are a trendsetter
That actually made me laugh out loud. You can have your avatar rights back :) heh sorry it took so long but if anything was worthy of such a deed, that was.

Working it alot is good. I'm trying to get in the habit of kicking my unbroken in bags at a session, then switching to whatever bag the circle is using when I start my run.
this is the 44 Wand, the most powerful Handwand in the world, so did i fire 5 or 6 fireballs? now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do i feel lucky? well do ya punk.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 16 Sep 2003 05:17

Thrilla and Josh B. both use fabric softener on their bags and they both have the most broken in and flexible footbags I've seen. I'm going to try this out this weekend.

In fact.. If this works out well for me, I might consider using it on fabric prior to sewing the bag in the first place..
Bob R.

Kaezziel
Circle Kicker

Post by Kaezziel » 16 Sep 2003 05:57

I've found that after washing and drying it, place it in a dryer sheet and palm roll it for about 10 minutes... take it out of the dryer sheet, and continue to palm roll it until you get the "waxey" feel off of it... this softens it up pretty good...

Rob
Flower Child

Post by Rob » 16 Sep 2003 09:23

Rieferman wrote:Thrilla and Josh B. both use fabric softener on their bags and they both have the most broken in and flexible footbags I've seen. I'm going to try this out this weekend.

In fact.. If this works out well for me, I might consider using it on fabric prior to sewing the bag in the first place..
So instead of soap they was the bag with fabric softener? Or is there some sort of special meathod to apply the softener?
this is the 44 Wand, the most powerful Handwand in the world, so did i fire 5 or 6 fireballs? now you got to ask yourself one question pal, do i feel lucky? well do ya punk.

calex
Fearless

Post by calex » 16 Sep 2003 09:31

How do you repair a small hole in a facile bag? I'm got hole in my carol bag and I really want to play with it again. I know there is some stuff on worldfootbag that they sell, but does anyone know of something I might find locally? I know silicone sealant is supposed to work, but does anyone have a brand name or a place where I should look for some?

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 16 Sep 2003 10:39

Hey Rob,
From what I understand, they first wash as normal (hand soap or whatever) and then apply the fabric softener.. You'd work it into the fabric, and then rinse it out. Leaves the fabric not so "crunchy". The method explained here makes sense since this is how you'd apply that stuff if you were washing clothes.

Side note: Josh Penney told me once that he'd heard of putting the footbag in the pocket of a pair of pants (as an example) and throwing the whole kit and kaboodle into the wash (with detergent and softener).. I'd worry slightly about bleeding (and ruining your clothes) but otherwise this seems like sound advice to me. Air dry though.

Calex - this really wouldn't go in this thread, but try Elmer's Stix All or some other similar rubbery glue. Apply with a tooth pick. Stop the toe pick ups if you're doing them.
Bob R.

Panda Licker
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Panda Licker » 16 Sep 2003 11:15

i forget where i read it on here, but somebody said that if u go buy the real sticky fabric bandaids, that u can just cut out the shape of the panel, and stick it right on there. seems to me like it would work good
-Angelo Oliveria

ShredStylez
Republican

Post by ShredStylez » 16 Sep 2003 12:55

fabric softeners always say not to put directly onto fabrics so is there any risk involved for your bag?
There is always a bigger trick.

Go watch a vid. of Dylan Fry.

-Mark "The Force" Schwartz

MegaFighter_X
Post Master General

Post by MegaFighter_X » 16 Sep 2003 16:59

I suppose you could soak the bag in the softener.

And how does the conditioner improve the bag? is it that much better?
John D