How long did it take to break-in your Abshire?

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.

1-2 weeks
26%
3-4 weeks
18%
3-4 weeks
18%
More than 1 month.
38%

Total votes: 39

Sergey
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Sergey » 17 Feb 2004 22:01

I got my mini abshire (black-white) 12 days ago and I've been doing all the requirements for proper breaking in (massaging, washing, kicking) every single day since I got it, but it still rolls a lot (comparable to Carol) and I have problems with xbd stalls. I'm really upset with it now, cuz I'm afraid my bag won't get better... :cry:

Anyways, how long did it take for you guys to break-in your abshire? Maybe the is nothing to worry about and it just takes a bit longer?

Any help is much appreciated!

Sergey.
Sergey Pikalov

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 17 Feb 2004 22:19

I bet Richie will be here soon to tell you not to worry.

Senor Grommet
Post Master General

Post by Senor Grommet » 17 Feb 2004 22:42

it is NOT uncommon for 32 panel bags to take at least 1 month to break in for easy playability. The myth of the 1 week break-in is bullshit in my opinion and should not be propagated. Do not distress if your bag is not broken in in a week or two. Treat it well for the first month and it can only get better. just keep workin at it! but most of all, please ENJOY the breakin of your bag. Its like your baby, your child, that you have to nurture into existence, and its your proper "care" that will enable it to reach its full potential. Never rely on the bag that you are trying to break in to be your shred bag- always have a backup!
(did that last sentence make sense :roll: )
My name: Jeremy Mirken, AKA Chocolatey Shatner, AKA jerk enemy rim.

I kick it with trunk chef elf and liz luck key my.

christof
Multidex Master

Post by christof » 17 Feb 2004 23:17

is it worth it

is it worth it when you can get a mr sand bag and not hafta work it in
:wink:

BTW is the stalling in a 32 panel better then a sand bag
Chris "Mr. take advantage of your goat when your not home" di Russo

!!!!!!!Back!!!!!!!
My Aurora has got a hole in it.

ebo
Unexplained Bacon

Post by ebo » 18 Feb 2004 02:01

don't want to be a fucknut, but this is at least the 10th post concerning
Mini-Abshire Bags over the past 2 weeks or so. Spread over 3-4 forums.
Why don't you all stick to one thread instead of creating just another
Abshirebag-thread?

Juice
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Juice » 18 Feb 2004 02:10

you could always make another sub-forum dedicated to bag break ins.
Just a thought... 8O
Robin Davies
You are your Footbag

Posi-Cole
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Posi-Cole » 18 Feb 2004 04:10

Or you could just talk about the topic ...... since the subject of this thread is different than the ones in other forums.

As for me, I've come to the conclusion that breaking in footbags is a long, and painstaking process which I don't exactly love.

Tsiangkun
Post Master General

Post by Tsiangkun » 18 Feb 2004 10:12

12 days lol.

Bags take months to break in fully. I wouldn't worry about it.
My mirken took about 3 months, my nikki broke-in in just over a year,
my abshires usually take 3 months or so . . . the new mini is breaking in a lot faster
than the bigger bags, but it probably won't be shred ready for 6 weeks or so.

Occasionally you will get a bag that is ready after a week . . . and then two months later it's gone.

RipWalker
BSOS Beast

Post by RipWalker » 18 Feb 2004 10:53

Yes, Tsiangkun speaks wisely.

Consider this scenario: You get a new bag... and it breaks in within one or two weeks of light hand-rolling, washing, and kicking. Awesome. You're extremely happy with the break-in time. However, what will happen to this bag in say... a month when you're still kicking and washing it? If it breaks in too fast, that means the material will continue to erode at a reasonably fast rate and you'll be left with a piece of facile in one hand and your filler on the floor.

A longer break-in ensures that the material is slowly wearing thin and getting ready for use, which means that once it's ready, it will continue to wear at a slow rate and provide you with a LONG period of broken-in enjoyment.

I'm in favor of longer break-in times so that I know my bag will last... So get a Mr. Sandbag or have a previously broken-in bag to play with while you're breaking in your new Abshire, Mirken, whatever... especially if you're an impatient person.

And christof, the stalling from a sandbag is more forgiving and possibly easier, yes. You can have your clipper or other stalling surface slightly angled and the bag will still stay whereas a 32 may roll or slide off. However, lots of 32's are different and the heavier broken-in ones will act much the same as the sandbag, and may even force you to get your clipper nice and flat which will make the sandbag rediculously easy to stall afterwards. There are many other threads about this, so do some research bro.

Peace.
Mark Bull

richardabshire
Fearless

Post by richardabshire » 18 Feb 2004 11:02

Amen, I think Senor Grommet, Ripwalker, and the always reliable EMG are right on the money. The key here is proper break-in. Stick with it and the bag will come around. I promise.

Atom
Multidex Master

Post by Atom » 18 Feb 2004 18:27

just because it's a post on break-in.....um I bought a 32 panel bag, a year ago almost....loved it, but there seemed to be no break-in besides just getting dirty. it says "Pro Kicker" on it. I'm wondering if anyone else has one similar, and if it is decent to shred with....? I want to give up on it...it seems rather large, and i have been pretty extreme on it's break in....mashing half with about 100 pounds and pound the other half with a hammer......and some minor stomping. anyway...what are positive signs that a footbag is breaking in well...or that it's hopeless?
Adam Czarnata
-Parkin cars on footbags since '04

richardabshire
Fearless

Post by richardabshire » 18 Feb 2004 19:07

You need a better footbag. Abshire, Mirken, Carol, Lonn, Wilson, Felix are all top level footbags. You would consider one of these a dream bag compared to the one you have.Hope this helps,Richie

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 20 Feb 2004 18:26

double post
Last edited by Maraxus on 20 Feb 2004 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
bodybuilda

Maraxus
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Maraxus » 20 Feb 2004 18:27

I purchased an Abshire about a month ago, it took 4 days to break in to the extent that it's a better bag than any I have owned before. It has really only gotten better since I purchased it. What you need is to take time out of your day for the bag, god knows I probably spent 20 of those 96 hours working mine.

As soon as I think I need another, I won't hesitate to buy from Richard again. This time, I'll get a mini too.
bodybuilda

sNale
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by sNale » 22 Apr 2004 07:55

Sorry for bringing up this old topic, but I just have to add my experiences :)
I got my Mini Abshire 4 days ago and I have had 2 long session with it since then, and I washed it 3 times. Of course it's still a bit rolly but I'm totally starting to like the bag for a couple of reasons:

1. I hit my first legbeater today with my new Mini :) 4-5 try
2. It really forces you to get your clipper foot flat
3. Cause of the small size its easier to dex it, compared to my other bags
4. Its perfectly round + its heavy so you can set the bag really well
5. Oh yes and I hit my first Drifter today, crispy, but still it was a Drifter ;)

Keep breaking in those bags!

Peace Max
Max Jaeger
munich-footbag.de

Du bist Footbag!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 22 Apr 2004 09:52

I considered my mini abshire usable after a few days of breakin. sorry for the bullshit post, Mirk, but that bag of mine is sick. I did some intermittent hand kneading (NOT ROLLING, which is bad because it causes pilling) for two days, then did one day of super intense hand kneading with sweaty palms, and it's been comfortably shreddable since.

I could see how someone else wouldn't feel the same way about that bag's progress after such a short time, though; I don't like bags with a lot of flop, because I have a hard time getting them off my foot and setting them straight up, so, by no means was my mini the 32 panel equivalent of a Mr Sandman. I appreciate bags that can keep their roundness pretty well when you kick them.

I'd have to say that this mini I have is one of the choicest bags I've ever had.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

ThomASS
BSOS Beast

Post by ThomASS » 22 Apr 2004 12:24

haahaaaa choicest....thats funny matt dog.....choicest doesnt even sound like a word after you say it a couple of times, choicest choicest choicest
choicest :lol:

choicest
Ryan Thomas

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 22 Apr 2004 12:49

Last edited by FlexThis on 12 Jul 2005 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

Thom
Shredaholic

Post by Thom » 22 Apr 2004 13:22

Hey I know this is kinda off the subject but what do you guys feel is best for a beginner a abshire mini or a regular abshire? I so far have only played with sandmasters and Mr sandbags but would really like to get a 32 so any advice would be great.

Thanks guys, Thom

FlexThis
Post Master General

Post by FlexThis » 22 Apr 2004 13:33

Last edited by FlexThis on 12 Jul 2005 13:49, edited 1 time in total.