Making bags: instructions/tutorials

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Guydro1
Circle Kicker

Post by Guydro1 » 23 Feb 2008 07:50

Frank_Sinatra wrote:
JSACK wrote:how do i post a picture of my moms bags?
Adult images are NOT appropriate on the forum.

Now that was FUNNY stuff!!!

JSACK
Multidex Master

Post by JSACK » 23 Feb 2008 14:13

hahha well today im gonna show her all this shit n hopefully she will learn something
Shred The Flipside, and THE BICEPS- I'm 17 too (James McElwain

- some call me jsack, many call me, kickin' wing

http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=18162 ( my footblog )

mikep
Hack Fiend

Post by mikep » 24 Feb 2008 07:51

apolgies if this was already linked in this thread-
I think the slideshows from this thread http://www.modified.in/footbag/viewtopi ... c&start=20
would be helpful for her
Mike Paras

JSACK
Multidex Master

Post by JSACK » 24 Feb 2008 07:53

okay so she said she is learning a lot, and going to use a smaller template, but ne tips on stichtcing the hex-hex together once u are finished with pent and hex, i noticed in dat's video it looks like he just puts one thread through the finished side onto the the new hex and then goes thru the pent

that is her biggest question now

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 24 Feb 2008 14:09

What Dat is doing in that video is that he's completed stitching 5 hexagons (on their long sides) on all 5 sides of a single pentagon, and at the point where he's finished sewing the pentagon flower (as I would like to call it) the hole is just near where he started his first stitch.

So basically, as you are finished with the last side of the pentagon, you are returning to where you began sewing the pentagon's first side onto a hexagon. This could either be the "bleedhole" stitch, or the last stitch you implement on the pentagon's last side. In any case, the thread that you've anchored or began with should be near the other end of thread that's tied to the needle.

From there, you just pull until you have an even gather on all sides of the pentagon. This can take a lot of trial and error, depending on your template size. I like to use my pinky finger and eyeball it, but a lot of people like to use a AAA battery or a pen cap. From there, you just knot efficiently (surgeon's & fisherman's knot is pretty common, I think), cut, and depending on what type of thread you use, burn a bulb into it.

Hope this helps. If your mom is using a unique sewing technique, keep us informed so we can help her. :)
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

RawSko
Green Footbag Ninja

Post by RawSko » 24 Feb 2008 19:26

Hexes. The long side gets stitched to a pent, as you know. The only stitching that's done on the short sides of hexes is that one you put through on your way by (on each side, therfore 2 stitches per short side), when you're stitching around your pent. That means that each hex will have 6 holes per long side, and 2 holes per short side. This makes it possible to adjust your filler after the bag has been completed.

hopefuly:
1. I understood your question
2. You understand my answere.
Ben Roscoe

JSACK
Multidex Master

Post by JSACK » 24 Feb 2008 19:32

so after the final pent is done, do u stick it in the hexe after it just came thru the pent on the first hex?

im still kinda confused on hexe to hexe :(

Wasabi
Amatera-Sewing

Post by Wasabi » 24 Feb 2008 19:40

Hex to hex? Easy. On the short side there should only be two holes per each short side. Or rather, to be more diligent on the schematics:

6 holes (3 stitches) on each side of the pentagon
8 holes (4 stitches) on each long side of the hexagon.

The first and last hole of the long hex side is also considered as the holes for the short side of the hexagon. These areas, as they are completed throughout the 32-panel, form the "bleedholes" of the 32-panel, in which Ben mentioned above that they are used to fill/refill filler for your completed bag.

Be sure to keep the first and last holes of the long hex side adjacent to the other long hex sides, to keep your sewing cleanly and even.

Basically, as you are running your needle along with the running stitch, you only need to clear your needle once through as you attach a hexagon to a hexagon. From there, you just attach that hexagon's long side to the pentagon and continue sewing through.

edit: This is a picture that Jay Boychuk posted in another topic. It shows a pretty clear picture on what to do in sewing 32-panels:

Hope this helps.
Waylon Lew - maker of Wasabi bags
NYFA represent.
"Footbag can be pretty frustrating when it's supposed to be fun. I was partly driven by this forum - practice, practice, practice... As that is true, I think someone can be too focused on progressing and training that they miss the fun aspect of it." - Bander87

JSACK
Multidex Master

Post by JSACK » 24 Feb 2008 20:24

that does help, im gonna start stitching my own bag soon, this is gonna be interesting

3gr8kids1120
Circle Kicker

STITCHING LESSONS FOR DUMMIES.....like me! :-)

Post by 3gr8kids1120 » 15 Mar 2008 13:49

Greetings footbag community,

After searching through the (what seems like) thousands of threads pertaining to making footbags, I am at a loss. I want to learn how to make these bags for my kids, it seems like a great way to pass time on the weekends while hanging out ensuring they keep their asses out of trouble (sorry guys, but its true and you know it). Does anyone have any "beginners" advice, diagrams or cutouts, and step by step directions? I want to start with a 16 panel, and work my way up to a 32 panel. I know I can do it, becuase I can do just about anything crafty I set my mind to doing. I would definately be open to trading a few custom designed, SICK hemp necklaces or bracelets, for some sound advice. Anyones advise is appreciated.

Peace!! :D

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 15 Mar 2008 14:54

my advice is to get your kids some inexpensive-yet-playable Mr Sandman footbags from www.freedomfootbags.com while you learn to stitch :) it will be a little while before you can make something that they will be able to / want to play with.

If you want to learn now in the shortest amount of time from starting to learn to being able to do it without a teacher there, it's best to have a teacher physically with you, showing you step-by-step, so you should go to a tournament where a good stitcher will be who is willing to help.

now, notice I said "the shortest amount of time from starting to learn to being able to do it". That method almost definitely isn't the way that will get you stitching in the shortest amount of time FROM NOW til when you can do it without too much help. Do you see what I'm saying? You'll learn best and fastest from a real life teacher, but it may be a while until you get that opportunity.

I was lucky enough to have a real life teacher, so I have no idea what online tutorial is the best.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Holliday
Hack Fiend

Post by Holliday » 15 Mar 2008 17:30

Welcome! Always good to see a new stitcher! :D

I'm not the greatest stitcher by any means, however, i did learn completely over the internet (through PM's and forums), and what I found to be really beneficial was to mark your stitch holes! You can do this by: finding a good ruler, and set it against the side of your panel, and mark about 4 - 5 stitches (that's what I found good for starting out) - make sure they're evenly apart. Obviously add more if you're going to make a big bag. 4 - 5 was for a 32 panel, about a 6th of an inch apart.

By marking your stitch holes, you stitch consistently, and therefore come end up with a round bag! :wink:

good luck! Send me a PM if you need some basic help.
"We've got a microphone, so go to hell if what your thinking is to try it."
-Bob Marley

Max Holliday

3gr8kids1120
Circle Kicker

Post by 3gr8kids1120 » 16 Mar 2008 08:41

Thanks for the advice, I will for sure PM once I figure out how to begin, if questions arise. I ordered some swatches from the fabric online store in Michigan, and ebay...and will practice first on old t's; just need to know what thread to use, what type of needle, and if there is a cut out of the size hex & pents I will need. One of my sons friends can help me also I would imagine, but I for sure appreciate your response!

I wish I could have an in person teacher, as that is how I learned to make hemp, and it was in fact the easiest way to learn....not everything you wish for comes true however, so I will continue to press on, and hope for the best.

Peace!

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 16 Mar 2008 09:33

Use dental floss for a thread. Its easy to thread, and won't break on you easily.

Any kind of needle, preferable a small one(in thickness,..so the holes made by the needle aren't too big)

http://patterns.phasing.org

i use

.58 pentagon
.63 hexagon
35% short side length.

hope these pics can help you.

3gr8kids1120
Circle Kicker

Post by 3gr8kids1120 » 16 Mar 2008 10:54

:D

That response freakin rocks!!! Thank you so much; exactly what I needed. One more quick question, how many hexagons and how many pentagons, make a 16 or 32 panel sack?

Let me know if you like hemp, I would have no problem sending you a bracelet, or necklace, or quite frankly, both!!!! I have glass beads that look really sweet in them, and would only need to know if you prefer a spiral or box stitch.

Thanks again, great info!!

Peace

Benzilla
The Professional

Post by Benzilla » 16 Mar 2008 11:13

20 hexagons, 12 pentagons

Attach 5 hexagons to a pentagon to make a flower..like this

And then attach another pentagon with 3 other hexagons, like this. i did'nt have any hexagons cut out so i used 3 old templates i had to represent them
If you get stuck just post here or pm me. And Its really no prob, but if you wanna send me a hemp neclace/bracelet just pm me :wink:

Another stitch picture, by Jerab

and these links from a sllideshow tutorial by Jerab will help alot too.

First one
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... e173e4.pbw
Second one
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... 5cca40.pbw
Third one
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... 0f6c1e.pbw
Fourth one
http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/cc26 ... 843fd8.pbw

Holliday
Hack Fiend

Post by Holliday » 16 Mar 2008 11:21

Ben has ya covered man! Jerab was the one that personally taught me how to stitch (through PMs). His slide shows REALLY help, I had them scrolling the whole time I was stitching my first bag.

Good luck!

EDIT: Here's what i a part looks like all laid out (32 panel) and marked.

This was the tricky'est part for me, make sure you have something that looks like this before continuing farther.

Finished Product:

NOTE: this was done with butter suede. Not great for playing with, but the entire thing cost me about 50 cents. So it was great practice material.
-Bob Marley

Max Holliday

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 16 Mar 2008 15:44

I guess all the things I have to say are going to sound really confusing after what every one else just said, but here goes.

First off, what I think is more important than 'always mark your holes' is to NEVER mark your stitch holes!

If you mark the holes then you don't learn the fine art of needle control and stitch placement.

When you make a bag you cut out panels in whatever dimensions you feel like working with, then decide upon a few parameters that you have to keep completely constant on every edge. These basic parameters include stitch depth (from the edge), number of holes per edge and amount of gather. Gather refers to how much you 'bunch up' the edges after they've been stitched, this is either done after stitching the full perimeter of a pentagon or after each edge.

The degree that you gather it, from not at all to completely gathered, will affect many characteristics of the bag. In general, a less gathered bag will feel looser and more supple earlier in the break in process. But this is only in general, some masters of the needle stitch quite tight but still produce delectable soft bags, it's all in technique!

So, on the topic of actually getting into making bags I guess the question is how much stitching experience do you have?

You said you can tackle any crafty thing, so this is right up your alley.

My suggestion to every new stitcher is to start out on a 4 panel bag. They are the easiest to put together and a great way to get used to dealing with panels, a needle and thread in your hands. It is a very fine and precise thing mostly, and it really just boils down to consistency and being able to repeat a stitch perfectly for the whole of the bag.

Here is an image containing the shape you would need to make a 4 panel.

Print that out and then use it to trace some panel shapes onto some microfleece or crushed panne and then make a whole bunch of panels to practice with.

To make the 4 panel you just put 2 pieces face to face then do a running stitch down an edge at about 1/4 inch depth, add a panel when you get to the tip and continue to the end. Use a length of thread (I use exclusively waxed dental floss from the dollar store) a bit more than arms length.

Hahahah I just now realized I am basically explaining all of everything ever. I really need dinner.

So all I should have said was:
- don't mark your stitch spots, just learn to use your eyes and magical powers
- start with a few 4 panels to learn to handle small panels and stitching
- when making a 32 (or any bag) it is ALL about consistency to make a sphere
- practice makes you better

:D
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Holliday
Hack Fiend

Post by Holliday » 16 Mar 2008 17:47

I disagree with mosher, obviously. But here's why: When making your first bag, you want to set it up so you learn where your stitch marks should be. This doesn't mean that you would/should mark them every time, but for your first shot, it will help you see what it should look and feel like. After you get the hang of it, you can then branch off and develop your own technique. Needle placement and accuracy comes with time and devotion, why start off frustrated and a lopsided bag? :wink:

Just my 2 cents, Mosher stitches some great bags, but to each their own. :D
Last edited by Holliday on 16 Mar 2008 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
-Bob Marley

Max Holliday

3gr8kids1120
Circle Kicker

Post by 3gr8kids1120 » 16 Mar 2008 17:51

You all are so great!!! Thank you for all the sound advice.

More than likely, I will try it both ways first, until I get it right, THAT my friends, is how I roll. When I first start anything, it takes me a few crappy tries before I am happy with the end results; and then I find such pleasure in making whatever it is, with as much perfection as I can manage on that particular day. If I have had a few cocktails, I get sloppy, otherwise, I get pretty anal about making things as perfectly as possible.

Keep the advise coming, it is very useful, and very very much appreciated.

Peace & love to all!