Making bags: instructions/tutorials

Discuss your gear and stitching and shoe modification in here.
Psyc
Hack Fiend

Post by Psyc » 04 Feb 2005 12:06

heh, I tripple knot. I forgot to add that, thanks Jericho.
Last edited by Psyc on 04 Feb 2005 14:50, edited 1 time in total.
Pamela Ocampo

DoctorJay
Fearless

Post by DoctorJay » 04 Feb 2005 14:07

Jochen Bauer

Paradox Feet Footbag Club
http://www.paradoxfeet.de

http://www.jochen-bauer.net

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 04 Feb 2005 14:34

whoa! I did not know that footbag.org had their own version of modified........strange....kinda like Bizarro world....but awesomer

Psyc
Hack Fiend

Post by Psyc » 04 Feb 2005 14:51

It's just the same forum software and skin.
Pamela Ocampo

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 06 Feb 2005 17:36

i'v made quite a few 12 panels now and they'r all turning out good. i just ordered some ultrasuede and i had a question. when using the ultrasuede, should make the bags smaller, because they'l eventually stretch out with break in? the t-shirt scraps that i'v been using doesn't stretch any bigger than it already is.

should i make the bags smaller with ultrasuede so it breaks in to the right size? should i gather more with the ultrasuede? any tips for switching from old t-shirts to ultrasuede that i should know?
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 07 Feb 2005 12:01

is this light? you should really consider ordering ultrasuede light....that's facile.

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 07 Feb 2005 15:30

yes it is ultrasuede light. i shoulda said that
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

Dat
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Dat » 07 Feb 2005 15:48

The plastic covers on mead 5-star notebooks work well for making panel templates. Pretty sturdy material that you can easily cut with normal scissors.
Dat Phan
-

CL: openFrameworks

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 07 Feb 2005 16:31

it's up to you but if you want to, I would reccomend starting to learn 32's. I did....it's soooo much cooler for me.

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 10 Feb 2005 13:02

oh I also forgot:

John Suderman Wrote This:
I'm not sure about pre-stretching the thread, but I do know that if you want the footbag to be easier to maintain then you should use more than just three pieces of thread. If you use one piece of thread for each pentagon then if it ever breaks all you need to restitch is the ONE PANEL. if you only use three pieces of thread then you will have to restitch quite a bit more.

yeah for anyone who stitches, he's right. I forgot to add the fact that by knotting the thread BEFORE AND AFTER each side you stitch, it helps seal that section up so you just have to replace that panel when the bag's screwed.

AND:
LittleBoy footbag wrote:
how many threads do you guys use on your bags? I thread a needle with upholstery thread, get it in the middle and get both end tied together in a knot..........I don't know why it's just me but in the blind stitch, that's where I fuck up the most. It just tangles like hobo hair......I just need to know how you guys inside stitch without it tangling up so much. I've puleld of a good inside twice but fucked up a third time.....
try threading your needle so you just have one thread that you're sewing with, and push the thread through the needle so it only comes out a little bit.

Gaa, it's hard to explain. I hope you understand. maybe this diagram will work.

Okay, diagram didn't work. Embarassed

yay I fugred that out! By using a fisherman's knot, I was able to use one thread to make my panels more flexible without that extra piece of thread........this truly is a good thread.

Thanks Erik for putting this up

EDIT:

I found these uber rocks near my house....like, smaller than BB's and are really nice but not sand nice......I'll try those out....

EDIT TO THE EDIT:

I've been experimenting so much lately and have found so many techniqes.......first, there's single thread, double stitching. then, double thread, double stithcing, then there's also single thread, another pass on the hole and then pass through that loop made by the thread........so I'm kinda experiment.....please say if any of you understand what the crap I'm talking about.....

rageingmule
Circle Kicker

Post by rageingmule » 07 Mar 2005 11:58

do you guys think microsuedes good for stitching
Zach Heidler

splatdome
Shredalicious

Post by splatdome » 09 Mar 2005 14:30

for some reason, when i'm breaking in my bags, the ultrasuede light gets all fuzzy from me rubbing it. i heard this is called "pilling" but i'm not sure. why does this happen? is it just the material i have?
Justin Johnson
ministry of silly walks

Virppa
Shredaholic

Post by Virppa » 10 Mar 2005 04:54

Don´t put too much pressure on bag when you are breaking it in. With "pilling" the bag has holes faster and so the lifetime of the bag is shorter.
Antti Virolainen

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 27 Mar 2005 13:39

I can make 4's 8's 12's and 14's, but when I try a 32 I can not get it at all. I have tried both styles. The one with pent'ss and hex'es and the one with pent's and tri's. I start out by taking one pent and a hexagon (or triangle) and sewing them together. I keep going around so I have 5 hexagons (or triangles) on the one pentagon. Then I am lost. I have no idea what to do next. Do I stictch the sides of the hexagons together or what? When do I add another hexagon or pentagon?

I stayed up all night trying to figure it out. It is to hard for my minute brain :oops: .

Any help from some stitchers would be very nice.

And happy easter :D
Luke Andrews

LittleBoy footbag
Official Streaker

Post by LittleBoy footbag » 27 Mar 2005 13:44

what? A triangle? I've never ever heard of that pattern.....if you DO make one, please show us.....anyways, my idea of a triangle is to take the tips and cut them all off uniformly so as it would be a hex then.

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 27 Mar 2005 13:49

Maybe you are supposed to cut the corners off...I didnt think about that.

I just need help one like the directions to sew and stuff.
Luke Andrews

Psyc
Hack Fiend

Post by Psyc » 27 Mar 2005 13:50

yeah stitch the sides of the hexagons together.
There should be 5 hex's around one pentagon.
Pamela Ocampo

peanutbuterboy
Fearless

Post by peanutbuterboy » 27 Mar 2005 13:53

...And then what do I do?
Luke Andrews

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 27 Mar 2005 15:00

no no no, you don't stitch the hexagons together!

You attatch 5 hexes to a pent, then tie off.
Get another pent and attatch it to TWO of the hexes that are attatched to the other then keep going around that pent adding the other 3 hexes until it is full then tie off.

Just keep doing that.

Look at the picture I posted in New Footbags of the inside of the 32 I was making for help.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

Nathan
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Nathan » 27 Mar 2005 15:52

Yo, just to add onto what mosher said:

You don't want to stitch through the whole hexagon, but most sewers sew through the hexagons on either side. When you finish sewing one hex to the pent, and you are about to cross over to the next hex, you should sew one stitch attaching the edges of the hexagons together. It helps to make sure the bleed holes don't leak.