Operation: Guiltless and Higher

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 19 Aug 2010 04:25

So, I declare this week around about my 2 year anniversary if you consider the time I took off when I was in Japan(although when I was dorming I did not really play as well).

So after 2 years of footbag, and 1.5 years of trying pretty much 3-4 times a week, I can now do osis on both sides with the technique taught to me by Dylan Fry. Hit 20 contacts osis < clipper rpt today which is by far the most I have ever reached. I think previous record was like 6-8 contacts. Anyway this drastic increase was due to me finally being able to mirror the side I learned(which happened to be my flipside) on my strong side.

VITAL POINT/TIP FOR OSIS FROM ME:
Whenever I tried to do osis on my strong side, I would do a half spin while turning my upper body slightly. This caused catching the osis in the sweet spot a fluke. Concentrating on keeping the arm behind me and looking at the bag while turning my lower body allowed me to get the correct up-down sweet spot catch without too much of a scoop. Bending into the catch was something I already did, however the degree of bending helped with freezing the osis.
When I started concentrating this on my strong side, it just made the sweet spot a little bit easier to see, therefore stall.

The session involved mostly osis practice as I said I wouldn't move on until I hit 20 b2b osis. So next session will be more of the same. I think 20 shouldn't be too hard, hopefully have it in a weeks time!

In other news, Will do a worlds write-up soon! Have been having days of 10-14 hours of Uni study because I procrastinated when I got back from Worlds. Yesterday slept like 2 hours, night before about 4. Tonight I should get 7 hours so that's good.

Massive uber happiness all round
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
You've got a hundred years to live, but probably not footbag. Better get Shredding!

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 23 Aug 2010 20:29

So, Worlds ended two weeks ago for me. I decided I shall do my write-up now rather than save it for a time when the memories aren't still as fresh.

So, firstly, before I flew out with Dan Boyle to SFO airport, we had a meal in the Air New Zealand lounge in Sydney. The fact we got into the lounge was a miracle, considering I wasn't a member. My Dad flies a lot and somehow managed to smuggle us in. This was a very good sign for worlds to be awesome.

The flight took around 14 hours, by the end I was so relieved to get out of the plane. I had about 5 hours sleep and every bone in my body was aching. I really needed to stretch. Getting off the plane, I found myself really tired. This was most likely due to the fact that the night before I caught the plane I got no sleep. I tried to make myself really tired, so that I would sleep on the plane, but that didn't really work.

After disembarking on the Monday in the US, we headed straight to the BART and caught the train to the Oakland Convention centre. The trip took us about 40 minutes. I don't know if anyone in San Francisco realises that the noise in the BART is almost deafening and actually made me wince a couple times. Yeah, so for future reference, DON'T CATCH THE BART IF YOU WANT TO BE ABLE TO HEAR IN THE FUTURE.

So Dan and I reached the hotel after Dan had led us on some maze away from the correct direction. This was when I noticed that all the shops were closed. I found this very strange, not sure if that is natural in the US, as shops in Australia are usually open everyday of the week. When we entered the hotel, saw a few footbaggers waiting in the lobby. Considering this was my first World Championships, I did not recognise any of them. One of the players, turned out to be Lon Smith, came over and asked us who we were as he was ticking names off. So awesome that the first person I met over there was Lon.

Anyway, we headed up to our room on the 9th floor as I recall, entered and realised that the other players in our room had already arrived. There was like a 5 kg pack of Cranberries sitting on the counter, along with a lot of other random quantities of food. Dan saw the pool outside and was instantly drawn, I on the other hand pretty much collapsed on the bed. However my long-awaited sleep was shortly interrupted by Jay Boychuck and Kevin Regamy coming into the room. I remember Jay introducing himself as a nube, however I could see through his lies. Yes, even in Australia, we have constant access to the internet. Kevin was in our room with Marco Hartig from Germany as well.

Kevin and Jay said that they also were going to the pool so I decided to put my beauty sleep off for a while. I met a couple more people down at the pool; Anssi, Armin, Marco, Dave Clavens, Will Tuttle, Tuuka and a couple more. We chilled at the pool for a while, but once it started to get darker, I decided I could not put off sleep any longer. I went to bed at about 8 pm that night, also forgot to eat dinner. Dan and the others woke me up when they returned to the room. As we were sharing beds, it did cause a little bit of time to adjust to Dan's strange body movements. He slapped me across the face half-way through that night!

I woke up the next day at like 7am. I went down to the lobby with Kevin and chilled for a bit. We were eventually called over to help with the set-up of the net courts. I helped them out for like 3-4 hours, realising at about 10 am I was going to die from hunger due to not eating dinner the night before and exercising without eating breakfast.

The footbag meeting was held at 11 am that day, I remember seeing Vasek, Tina and other famous shredders for the first time. I remember when Dave hit nemesis first time during the interview and thinking, 'I am going to amputate your legs and try to attach them to me instead', or something along those lines. Leg transplants aren't realistic yet so I decided to oppose that plan.

Circle competition was beginning soon after. I tried to warm up, after I had got some food of course, but felt really sick and dizzy. Yesterday I had not kicked much with the others down at the park, and today I was still sleep and food deprived. Not a good way to start off my first ever world championship competition. So, I did the circle thing anyway as Ken, Brian Sherill and Brian Cooper were in my group. I had always wanted to shred with Ken, so I tried even though the exercise was taxing. I did quite poorly, no more contacts than 6-7 contacts in any of the strings. I remember almost passing out at the end of the circle as I was just taxing my body. Ken and the others did pretty well, although Ken was the clear winner. I watched the rest of the other circle competitions, which lasted till 2-3 pm that day. One highlight was, I met most of Team Japan during the day which was exciting. I am going to be at their National Championships this year, and last time I was over there I did not get to kick with many of them.

After circle, Dan and I went for a swim. This actually turned out to be a 3 hour swim nonetheless but it was very refreshing. Caroline, another Aussie trooper, brought out her stereo and a little wahu ball. We spent about 2 hours chucking that around before realising how wrinkled we had become. By this time, I had met a lot of the footbaggers.
That night I grabbed dinner, don't remember what it was, and came back to the large hall to watch Dante, Greg, Mathieu and Nathan still kicking. I was soooo impressed with all of their styles. I really wanted to be them at that point in time. I went to bed at about 11pm that night.

The next day was routines. I was going to do a routine, however I was still feeling sickly. Upon that I had received an injury before I had come to Worlds and did not really have a routine prepared. I told Steve Goldberg that I was scratching, he was not pleased that I did not tell him earlier. Dan and I went to chinatown for breakfast. We both spent about $2 for a breakfast consisting of chinese dumplings and buns. They were, to say the least, awful tasting but I did manage to eat half of each bun.

That day, I received the privilege of being mind blown time and time again. Although there were some amazing routines, Lon Smiths and Phil Morrison's routines stood out for me. Lon was dropless and had some crazy torque strings in there, while Phil did a handstand for about 10 seconds after doing some weird little dance. The intermediate routines led me to believe that most of the players probably should have competed in the open division, however that was their choice. The female routines were all extremely good, and apart from Tina, would be very hard to judge in the finals I thought. After routines, Dan wanted to just hide himself in beer after his routine fiasco, I decided to stick around and try to kick up a storm. I started to feel a lot better that night, after kicking for a couple hours. Afterwards, dinner was at who know where, and again returned to the hall area. Szymon, Tom and Wiktor had set up a two square court. I watched them for a bit, and decided 4 square is better. So, I went to work on setting up the first 4 square court for the World Footbag Championships 2010. Once a group of us started playing, it became an addiction. So many people gathered and we were force to make another 4 square court. Just as a notice: DON'T EVER THINK YOU CAN BEAT SZYMON AT 4 SQUARE. HE IS TOO GOOD. He proved this fact time and time again over the next few nights. Every night we played 4 square for at least 3-4 hours. Went to bed at about 2 am that day.

Woke up, had breakfast, went and got a Hot chocalate with Nathan Pipenberg at the closest Cafe. That day we had Circle semifinals, the names were astounding. The fact that only one from each group would progress to the final was even more so. Circle semi-finals was probably the most amazing footbag-related thing I had ever see. There were 2 nemesis' hit by 2 different people. Clavens and Penske both felt obliged to show us their skills with this trick. Damian Gielnicki, was to me, the most impressive shredder in the circle. I know this is arguable, however the strings he pulled off were amazingly difficult and he did not concentrate on string length(although his strings were very long). Pretty sure I had a swim that day, went and got a Jamba juice with Dale Waldren, had some US style dinner, played another 4 hours of 4 square and shredded for at least another 2. I was feeling normal today, so my condition was back to normal and was playing a lot better. I bought a pair of nucleas shoes on that Thursday. I have to say that yes there are some bad design faults however, my clipper has improved tremendously from practicing with them. I hit a few new moves while shredding on the Thursday. I hit smoke bs and pixie op whirl both sides.

I will continue with the Friday and the All-night shred in my next post.
You've got a hundred years to live, but probably not footbag. Better get Shredding!

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 24 Aug 2010 01:17

I think this was a great time for you to go to Worlds, now to just capitalise on everything you learnt there.

Sorry for slapping you in the face! See you next weekend.

When do you go to Japan?

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 24 Aug 2010 03:33

Japanese championship starts on the 18th of September, I am trying to get some cheaper tickets on the 17th to fly out on. My Dad is looking into it.

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 25 Aug 2010 04:05

So, quick write up today.
Just finished a session. I started off with 500 flip clippers in NUCLEUS SHOES!
It took a little bit of time, however I do have to say that for correcting your clipper technique they are the bomb. My flip now matches my strong so that is quite good.
Practised illusions which are still quite shitty for me. My technique is quite poor for them.
Then I went on to my main practice which was osis. I started with the osis > clipper rpt drill and got over 20 contacts for the first time. I was always hitting more than 10 contacts so there was a bit of improvement. I also decided at the end to just do some osis b2b. I broke my previous record first try. I got about 10 b2b, then went on to get 12 later on. I was so tired, so I couldn't really do much more than 12. Finished with a nice osis < down rpt bsos string that felt really cool.
Big sessions over the next few days as Dan Boyle and the Red Rocket will be in Melbourne next week. Phil will be staying at my place so hopefully I can bombard him with tips, and shred a lot of course.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 25 Aug 2010 09:24

Awesome stuff man, so jealous you get to hit up Japan! Haha and yeah Kickass should be... kickass but it's also halfway around the world from you :/ but dude if you're coming to Canada to work, make sure it's somewhere in Ontario!

KRyan
Shredalicious

Soloing Melbourne

Post by KRyan » 03 Mar 2011 02:53

Haven't posted in a while and a lot has happened since then. Actually been kicking often as well, just didn't bother to post anything though.

Been to Japan for a couple weeks and had a kick with most of the guys over there. Stayed with Suekichi in Tokyo and with TJ in Osaka. We only really had one kick in Tokyo as it was absolutely freezing and it snowed twice while I was there, which is supposedly a rare occurrence in Tokyo. Played everyday I was staying with TJ though.

Before the Japan trip, we had the Narooma Jam back in Australia. Did not do much footbag there though. A lot of Kubb and beer.

A few highlights that were recent:

-vortex
-drifter < osis < infinity rpt
-ripwalk < whirl rpt
-guiltless string of 15 contacts(trying to get this over 20)
-oh yeah, I can do osis both sides now lol, only took 2 years of trying.
-pdx whirl rpt
-spinning osis bs

Right now I really want to hit flip vortex, ducking osis, reactor and mobius(really need to work on torque though, can barely do it)

james_dean
space cowboy

Post by james_dean » 03 Mar 2011 03:28

Sounds good :) I'll have to get down to Melb in the next few weeks to shred.

"It's a punk one!" - Auntie Val, after being shown a spikey footbag

Bloggy

Challenge

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 04 May 2011 09:44

james_dean wrote:Sounds good :) I'll have to get down to Melb in the next few weeks to shred.
cool, let me know when your in town!

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 05 May 2011 04:05

lol, Janis. He posted that message in March.

Anyway, it looks like Jeremy is coming down this Saturday. Going to have a kick at Federation Square for the first time in ages regardless.

Had a session last night for the first time in a few weeks. The drastic change I started on my clipper technique, might post a video on this later, seems to be much more efficient. It gets a flatter surface for starters and it looks similar to what people look like they are doing in videos when they do a clipper. If anyone has ever seen my clippers, they were definitely not great. I changed my technique by bringing my catching leg knee closer to the support leg and turning it to almost how I would finish an osis. This probably doesn't make sense but whatever.

Anywho, was able to do:
- first-try > 50 ss clippers on both sides
- spinning mirage (new)
- stepping sets were effortless
- did a nice string of osis < infinity < spinning clipper < pdx mirage < dimwalk repeat

Might post a before and after video of my clipper technique to get some opinions. Anyway, definitely going to continue with my new form.

P.S - anyone ever felt like they are hitting something perfectly after changing their technique. I don't know why or how, but when I try a clipper this way I feel really comfortable and almost like an out-of-body feeling.

PoisonTaffy
Egyptian Footgod

Post by PoisonTaffy » 05 May 2011 05:26

I'm interested in a video.

J.M changed my technique in legover, which subsequently changed my technique in other toe op dex tricks, like dlo, toe drifter etc., gave me the same awesome feeling for a while.
"Childhood is short, immaturity is forever"

Roy Klein

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 02 Aug 2011 04:34

Sorry I didn't reply to your post earlier. Unfortunately I never really made a video for analysing my clippers. I hope you guys can see it through this video.

Well, haven't really had time for my blog in a while obviously. I have only started really getting back into footbag since about 2 weeks ago when I had a kick with Phil Morrison down in NZ, which was awesome. Been playing a lot since then and have managed to hit a lot of new stuff. Been practicing my flip pdx whirls for the last week and a half so that I could hit whirl war, and guess what?!! Here it is, first time I have ever hit it. :D :D :D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KU71xjGrCv4[/youtube]

It felt so good to finally hit it, don't worry about the background music. It is just a japanese band I really like.

Pretty sure I am going to go the Japanese Footbag Championships this year in Osaka as I hear that some amazing players will be turning up out there.
Gonna keep playing everyday so and ensure I can hit eggbeaters, flip spinning, more consecutive ducking, drifter < pdx drifter rpt and more things that I can't think of atm.
Last edited by KRyan on 02 Aug 2011 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 02 Aug 2011 13:54

Props on whirls, lots of improvement since last I saw you, good to see you are still playing!

I'll get in contact when I return to Melbourne and we should have a kick!

Anyone else in Melbourne still shredding?

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 02 Aug 2011 16:04

Hey Janis, good to hear from you.
Apart from me, Dan E is kicking a little bit, Leon started kicking again after nationals this year and also there is a guy called Dean who has just started. So at the moment it seems like there is a couple of us kicking again!
I will be doing 2 shreds a week outside my regular training. One will be at Melb Uni on either Tuesday or Thursday and the other will be a Saturday shred back at Fed square. I will be starting that up again this week. Feel free to give me a buzz if you want to have a kick outside of that. I don't know if you have my new number but its 0433428836.

KRyan
Shredalicious

I MOVED TO SYDNEY!

Post by KRyan » 22 Apr 2014 00:52

OMG It's been a long time since I was active.
Long story short, don't let people take your life away from you. Last few years have been a massive regret,
been missing footbag for so long and now I am finally back!
Also I moved from Melbourne to Sydney, but alas not much kicking going on here.

To be honest I haven't exactly changed much since I last stopped which is good because I would have
been devastated if I had to learn some stuff again.

Last 2 weeks I have been doing basic drills to get the muscles working again and getting them strings back
up and running. This is mostly what I have been doing:

- stepping ss clipper x 2 < infinity rpt (trying to get 10 sets of these a session)
- working on sidewalk < ripwalk rpt but still need to get the strength back in the flip to be able to do more than 5 contacts.
- finally for the love of god, I have learned how to spin. Spinning and osis have been such hard moves for me to learn,
but I have been so focused on it since coming back and it just feels easy now.
been doing strings of spinning clipper < infinity rpt til i drop as well as spnning clip < gyro clip rpt but I need to work on flip gyro clip
as I keep doing something weird on the plant.
- been doing fairy butter < blur < legbeater or dimwalk < blur < legbeater on both sides to work on my stepping from butter.

- Usually been doing a warm up session with this string (now with spinning clipper in there)
butterfly(down) < ducking clipper < spinning clipper (yay) < osis < pdx mirage and I have been able to repeat that for 20-30 contacts easily a couple times before I start a session. Going to start putting dimwalk or fairy down in there to make it a little more difficult.

What I plan to work on once I am happy with stepping/spinning:
- double dexes (ok I lost these a little) mostly paradon, dod and barfly.
- far osis tricks (might need a little help with these as I can hit it but not sure if my far osis is supposed to be so blind)
- toe whirl eventually onto pdx whirls again
- gyro/spinning moves (shouldn't be hard just want to put them in strings, can hit most the easy ones already)
- I HAVE TO HIT FLIPSIDE TORQUE OMG!!!!
- toe shuffle (i haven't lost this just need to practice it again to get the string length up)

SO HAPPY TO BE BACK! Was watching a Tanja and TPak vimeo today and gotta say i love TPak, such a
fun video from one of my favourite players. Might try to film some stuff when I get more consistent but
atm just glad to be playing again. :D

boyle
Post Master General

Re: BACK IN BLACK

Post by boyle » 22 Apr 2014 04:48

Was good to have a kick and good to see you back on here. We are moving back to Aus for good so look forward to reviving the scene.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 22 Apr 2014 07:42

Welcome back Ryan!

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 22 Apr 2014 14:06

Awesome to see you back!

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 23 Apr 2014 23:43

So been practicing one or 2 times a day the last couple of days as I have some time off work.

Still haven't quite got the stepping set down to where I want it to be and starting to feel
the sore muscles, that haven't been used in so long, screaming at me. SO, for the last 2 days
I decided to just take it slightly easier and just do this:

sidewalk < ripwalk < hand catch x 30 at the start of the session. Which tbh I was only hitting
first time like 50 percent of the time tops which was a little :-( but I couldn't do much more
on the days.
Then I would do some dimwalk < blur < legbeater or Fairy down < blur < legbeater for the practice
from toe.
I know I have only just come back but I really really really want to try and hit sidewalk < ripwalk rpt x 5 in
one string. Only then will I be happy!!!

Did some gyro clipper practice but sorta not focusing as much on spinning as I am on stepping as
its a little easier on the body.

In other news, catching up on videos and info from the last few years has been fun. Really looking forward
to heading to Europe for a month (or maybe the US). Going to be planning the trip to shred hard rather
than be a tourist haha. It won't be until July if I can find some cheap flights.

hmmmm apart from stepping ss clip and the sidewalk < ripwalk drill is there any other drills I should be working
on for stepping?

KRyan
Shredalicious

Post by KRyan » 26 Apr 2014 23:42

Not a great session today, maybe I was tired but I just couldn't do much stepping today. I know its going to take
a while to get back into form, but was hoping to improve a little this week but haven't changed much but I
am hitting the first stepping set almost hundred percent just the second is struggling haha.

Tried to just hit some tricks I don't usually do instead so did spinning osis on both sides as well as paradon < dlo
but just tried to keep playing rather than let the fact I didn't have the energy to do a lot.

Had a play around with gyro clippers and spinning clippers but they didn't really click like they did the other days.

Hoping tomorrow will be a better session, which I think it will be as I am well rested atm.
I have noticed that when my stepping set fails its always the same thing, the ball will hit my inner thigh on the uptime
dex. I think its just me being lazy as I was trying to just do piddly little movements to dex the bag today haha.

yay panda!