A Master with a Riceball

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
boyle
Post Master General

Re: A Master with a Riceball

Post by boyle » 07 Aug 2023 00:47

It was great to see people like Nis and Matthias Schmidt earn some medals after many years of hard work in footbag. I liked that.

As noted - I forgot the top post painting. This is one of the murals in the Chilean metro stations, this one Universidad de Chile station, but most of them have these - though this is probably the most impressive.

Memoria Visual de una nacion - Mario Toral - https://www.alluringworld.com/universid ... o-station/
Last edited by boyle on 13 Oct 2023 23:58, edited 1 time in total.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 08 Aug 2023 22:41

I need that top post painting Daniel. Maybe something modern and Australian? I like Anthony Lister speaking of modern and Australian.

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 06 Oct 2023 18:26

Darn, I don't remember what the comic shop was called, but when you walked in there was stairs down to manga and collectibles to the left and then stairs up to mainstream Western comics on the right, and the entrance was on the corner of the building maybe?

Hold up, working for a billionaire?? I need to hear more about this lol

Ooh, the restaurants sound amazing!

Great stuff with the paintings! And congrats to Nis!

Also, yes, seconding the request for a top painting!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 08 Oct 2023 22:57

Also, yes, seconding the request for a top painting!
You have 24 hours, Daniel!
Hold up, working for a billionaire?? I need to hear more about this, lol.
I have since stopped working for the billionaire. That was wild. I was just the caretaker of this big music and video studio that he had built. Lots of crazy stuff happened. Also, it was the only job I have ever had where I had to sign an NDA about everything.

I now work as an Art Director for Denmark's biggest property management company. Sounds dry, but I like it. And the marketing and communications team I am part of is great. My boss is a friend who headhunted me for the job.

I still play footbag, probably on average every other week. Last week, I had my first indoor session of the winter season, and we had a special guest in Søren Nøhr. Some of you might remember him.

Click for a larger picture

Søren brought a pair of Lavers from 2006 that completely disintegrated in two minutes. I have heard about this, but never seen it. It was wild. He had a backup pair with him though.

Søren played well for not having played in ages. Nis was also very solid. I was a bit meh, but had fun.

Here is a little video by Gus Van Sant visualizing a short story by William S. Burroughs. I feel it relates well to footbag.

You can also read it here: https://tayiabr.wordpress.com/2016/07/0 ... burroughs/

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 21 Oct 2023 02:07

Asmus wrote:
08 Oct 2023 22:57
it was the only job I have ever had where I had to sign an NDA about everything.
Dammit!
Asmus wrote:
I now work as an Art Director for Denmark's biggest property management company. Sounds dry, but I like it. And the marketing and communications team I am part of is great. My boss is a friend who headhunted me for the job.
Oh, wow, this sounds amazing also! Well done!
Asmus wrote:
I still play footbag, probably on average every other week. Last week, I had my first indoor session of the winter season, and we had a special guest in Søren Nøhr. Some of you might remember him.
The name sounds familiar? I'm not sure. That sounds fun. I also have one of those pairs of Lavers that just disintegrated. Just on one shoe though... really weird...

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 21 Oct 2023 13:06

I imagine you have a great budget to do pretty much whatever you want, which would be a great opportunity. You should use footbag as an excuse somewhere in the "art" world!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 23 Oct 2023 00:31

boyle wrote:
07 Aug 2023 00:47
As noted - I forgot the top post painting. This is one of the murals in the Chilean metro stations, this one Universidad de Chile station, but most of them have these - though this is probably the most impressive.

Memoria Visual de una nacion - Mario Toral - https://www.alluringworld.com/universid ... o-station/
I forgive you. You came back with a banger. I wish our metro stations looked like that.
boyle wrote:
21 Oct 2023 13:06
I imagine you have a great budget to do pretty much whatever you want, which would be a great opportunity. You should use footbag as an excuse somewhere in the "art" world!
I am trying to find ways of helping all the communities I am part of with this position, but it is a big and slow organisation, so it's kinda hard.

Frede did a video from the last session:

You shouldn't see it for the shred, but I think it illustrates the vibe well.

I have been painting a lot lately. Started to look for a studio to do it in, since my girlfriend is tired of me taking over our living room. You can see the paintings on my instagram here: https://instagram.com/asmushelms

Haven't played since last time, but I hope to kick this week.

Here is two old videos with some Søren footage.

First one is Blau and Søren playing at my moms house:

And one of Tina and Søren playing in Sørens hometown:

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 06 Nov 2023 00:39

I played footbag on thursday night with Nis. I ate way too much for dinner, so I was feeling heavy and didn't play very well. I made moroccan tagine with chicken, so it was worth it though.

Half way into the session Kim showed up and hung out. He hasn't been playing, since he got heavily involved in his two son's soccer teams. Coaching and all that jazz. He did say he wanted to start showing up and kicking on Thursdays again, so that's good news.

On Saturday I tried something that I have been wanting to do for 15 years maybe. I painted a legal graff wall. It was very fun and I am gonna try to do it maybe once or twice month. Bad hobby to take up during the winter months in dark and cold Denmark. I can still get a lot better, but I think the result was decent for my first try.
Here is the final result:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CzOuDndNgFd/?img_index=1

Wish I could go to German Footbag Open in Berlin, but unfortunately not this time. I miss the Berlin homies and the crazy city.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Nov 2023 02:41

It's great there's some tournaments coming up, quite a few actually. Good to see. I had a lot of fun in Berlin at Worlds time, then also got to visit for a couple of days after Denmark. It would be great to go back there again.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 15 Dec 2023 01:21

Yesterday we had a little end-of-the-year/Christmas session. We also played routines to keep the streak alive of having Danish Champs. Me, Nis and Jasper competed. Kim, Rasmus and Frede hung out. Mads Hole also called in for half an hour.

Nis won. Me and Jasper. got a shared second place.

Afterwards we played Foursquare and had some beers. Kim won, Rasmus got second and I got third.

Great times hanging out with the boys.

Recently it was the 10 year anniversary of the Danish Open. I organised (with the rest of the team of course). This was when we realised we could host Worlds. The event was sponsored by GoPro and Skullcandy and a lot of foreign players showed up. Great times.

Here is the official after movie from GoPro:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 16 Dec 2023 02:57

That looked really cool, I would have liked to have gone to that although at least I got to Worlds in Denmark. Seemed like a very well run competition.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 16 Jan 2024 03:48

Now it works..

Had a session with Nis on monday last week. It's been extremely cold lately. I think we have been down to -15 celsius (5 fahrenheit).

We ended up in Nørrebrohallen, since our usual spot might have ended now that we are in 2024. That is not good, but we usually figure something out.
It was cold and the floor was very hard. Two womens handball teams were warming up around us at the beginning of the session. That was quite fun.

Hit Terrage > Pixie Reverse Whirl on both sides. Worked a bit on my steps and spins and seemed to get better during the session. Finished off with a longer round with, among other things, Ducking Clipper > Blink.

Here is my latest attempt at mastering the spraycan. Still a lot of fun. Can't wait for better weather though.
www.instagram.com/asmushelms

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 17 Jan 2024 19:40

That's a fun photo of you two. The terrage combo sounds cool. I actually find terrage>terrage reasonably difficult but I'm getting that more regularly lately. Is that a known character, or is it a rodent of your own creation? Looks pretty cool regardless.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 26 Jan 2024 05:23

boyle wrote:
17 Jan 2024 19:40
Is that a known character, or is it a rodent of your own creation? Looks pretty cool regardless.
It's my own creation, but I can see a bit of Gus from Cinderella in there and maybe even some "Frederik" from the Danish cartoon "Cirkeline".

Yesterday we played footbag and 9(10 with Hole, who showed up after we ended the session) people were in attendance! Big props to Frede for being the mastermind of getting so many to show up.

From top left: Kim, me, Tobias, Jan, Jasper and Nis
Bottom from left: Frede and Verena

I played for a little over an hour with Kim and Verena. I felt like we all played ok for not playing that often. I hit Terrawhirl first try.

Afterwards we went out to drink a couple of beers and we had to take another picture.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 31 Jan 2024 02:06

Great to see the scene still kicking on - I think I saw Verena was in Austria over the Christmas time too and they had something there.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 18 Apr 2024 03:21

Things are as dead in here, as my footbag career has been lately, but I do have a banger of a post for you.

On Saturday we had our annual Footbag Denmark Christmas Lunch (maybe more of a Easter Lunch this year?). The day started with a footbag session with a huge turnout. In attendance: Mads Neuhard, Mads Hole, Lise Thygesen, Nis Petersen, Mathias Blau, Jan, Jasper, Tobias and Frederik.

The session DJ was none other than Ryan Mulroney. He lives outside of Copenhagen now with his Danish wife and three kids. That’s what I call a special VIP surprise guest.
I have only met Ryan once, and that is a great story that you can find in my footblog somewhere, but it was very short. So it was pretty cool to actually hang out with him for a bit and get answers to some questions.

I mainly played with Lise with Mads Hole, Frederik and Kim Mortensen also joining. I played surprisingly well, so that was nice. Kim completely blew out his knee, so that wasn’t nice. He took it like a trooper, and seemed to be okay. He will need surgery though. It’s his birthday today. Happy birthday and get well soon Kimmie.

Afterwards we had dinner at Spiseloppen in Christiania. We have had the Christmas lunch there for years. Here is the evidence:

Image[/url]

Verena and Rasmus also showed up.
After eating we had our legendary FootbagDenmark lottery, and I won a lot of shitty prizes. After that a smaller crew went out to get more beers.

Great day and night. FootbagDenmark is still breathing.

In other life news I am still painting a lot. Both on canvas and on walls. You can see that here: https://www.instagram.com/asmushelms/

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 22 Apr 2024 01:29

That's so good! Lot of legends in there. I remember reading about you meeting Ryan in the streets while out on the drink. Great to see Lise and Verena in amongst the action.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Apr 2024 15:01

Great post! It's great to see so many of you continue to get together. I remember you from that first 2009 picture. I think that is when we met? When did we meet I wonder, was it Berlin?

Also, holy shit about Kim. A blown knee for a birthday present? No thanks. At least he gave it to himself, and didn't get it from someone else.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson