A Master with a Riceball

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Re: ASMUS' FOOTBLOG

Post by C-Fan » 04 Nov 2016 16:02

Yay Top Post Painting! Gonna go a lot more classical than what I think you normally like Asmus, but hopefully you dig it.

Russian/Armenian painter I recently learned about, Ivan Aivazovsky. He did a ton of seascapes and sea scenes, and I'm just blown away by how he captures light inside of waves.

Are you going to Worlds in Portland?

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 18 Nov 2016 00:43

Tjuggles wrote:Had not seen dorm shred before. Yikes!
I think you are missing out on a lot from not being part of the footbag freestyle group on facebook. You should consider that.

LinoSphere wrote:dude, that was an awesome weekend!
It sure was an amazing weekend. I am so thankful that you and Angelo are part of the footbag family. You two are definitely some of my greatest friends in and outside of footbag. I will let you know when there are news about Distortion.

boyle wrote:Would be awesome to go to Denmark again sometime.
You are welcome anytime!

Cass wrote:Looks like it was a fun event! Denmark has a bad ass scene.
Thanks Cass! You are a bad ass as well and you are more than welcome back here anytime!

C-Fan wrote:Yay Top Post Painting! Gonna go a lot more classical than what I think you normally like Asmus, but hopefully you dig it.
I like that painting. Very dramatic.

It is true that I generally speaking I like modern art (roughly 1860s-1970s) more than older stuff. But that doesn’t mean there aren’t paintings made before that tickles my fancy. I like (christian) religious art and Indigenous art and I very much like old Japanese art.

Here is an old Danish painting I really like:
Wilhelm Bendz: A Smoking Party, 1827-28, Glypteteket, Copenhagen Denmark
He was only 26 when he painted this!

C-Fan wrote:Are you going to Worlds in Portland?
That is the plan. The plan is one week in NY with the misses and then I go to Portland from there. Still a lot of things that need to fall into place but I am optimistic.

After Danish Open I felt a bit burned out, both from footbag and from life in general. I needed a break. But on Wednesday I realised footbag is not what makes me feel burned out, it actually helps. So I washed my bags and decided to play Thursday (yesterday).

Semi-clean bags

In attendance were: Troels Westh, Nis Petersen, Kim Mortensen, Andreas Hald and yours truely.

I played with Troels and Kim. They both had a rough day but I played semi-decent taking into account a two week break. Kim footed Spinning Ducking Drifter and Troels did a bunch of blinks on both sides. No highlights worth mentioning from me. We played for a little over an hour.

Post session beer

Afterwards we had a beer more than usual and talked about Danish Open and the future of footbag in Denmark and the rest of the world.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 18 Nov 2016 03:45

Asmus wrote:
Tjuggles wrote:Had not seen dorm shred before. Yikes!
I think you are missing out on a lot from not being part of the footbag freestyle group on facebook. You should consider that.
I think you are missing out on a lot from being a part of facebook. :p
Asmus wrote:Kim footed Spinning Ducking Drifter and Troels did a bunch of blinks on both sides. No highlights worth mentioning from me.
You mean like ducking void? Shit I need to try that!
Asmus wrote:Afterwards we had a beer more than usual and talked about Danish Open and the future of footbag in Denmark and the rest of the world.
Those after session beers/talks are the best.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 25 Nov 2016 01:14

Tjuggles wrote:You mean like ducking void? Shit I need to try that!
Yeah - Morpheus is da name.

I played footbag yesterday. It looked a bit like this:
In attendance were: Andreas, Nis, Kim and me.
No highlights from anybody. I need to get my endurance up.
Why does Pixie Muted Swirl not have a nickname?

DK music is having a lot of success out in the big world. You americans have probably heard MØ and Lukas Graham and the peeps in Asia have probably heard Christopher.
Here are three new DK tracks I am really feeling(of course in English for you mofos):

Noah Carter - B.O Felix De Luca - Buzzin AV AV AV - About You

verena
BSOS Beast

Post by verena » 25 Nov 2016 12:12

Always cool to read your weekly updates on Fridays! :D

Asmus wrote: need to get my endurance up.
You are very wecome to join me running! :P

Hope that my arm will be well enough to start playing footbag again with you guys in 2-3 weeks! :)
Verena Lenneis

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 02 Dec 2016 02:27

verena wrote:Always cool to read your weekly updates on Fridays! :D
Thanks Verena!
verena wrote:You are very wecome to join me running! :P
Never gonna happen. Running is probably the thing I least wanna spend my time doing. My plan is to end the session with a lot of kicking to get my endurance up. I started the session with it last time, but I ended up being sore and not having enough energy for actual playing. The more you know.
verena wrote:Hope that my arm will be well enough to start playing footbag again with you guys in 2-3 weeks! :)
I hope so too!

I am really happy with the reaction my joulu video got. Most of the credit should really go to Mikko, but it still feels good. We have our own little Christmas calendar thing going in FootbagDenmark and I have made two videos for that as well. So I will share those later.

I was supposed to play yesterday, but people confirmed super late so I got lazy and didn’t go. :(

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Dec 2016 17:08

nice start to the joulu. Consecutive kicks can really tire you out, even though it sounds quite easy.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 08 Dec 2016 00:48

Gonna make a couple of year in review posts, here is the first one. Pop culture:

My favorite movies of 2016:

Clever movie of the year: Funny movie of the year: Technical movie of the year: “THE FEELS” movie of the year: Best new TV-series: Westworld, Preacher, Billions, Animals and The Last Panthers
(Honorable mention: I have only watched two episodes of Atlanta, but it should probably be on this list. I also really liked “Vinyl”.

Favorite hip-hop albums: Vince Staples - Prima Donna, Skepta - Konnichiwa, Kaytranada- 99.9%, Anderson .Paak - Malibu and Aesop Rock - The Impossible Kid
(Tried to fit in a lot of different styles in this and I have a feeling that Danny Brown’s album will make the list, when I get around to it)

My favorite electronic album this year was for sure Mr. Oizo’s “All Wet”: It was harder than I thought it would be to make album lists. I used to pride myself on still listening to entire albums, but I must say I have fallen off. I have also listen to podcasts a lot more than new albums.
My favorite podcasts this year (other than The Symposium of course!):

Juan Epstein
https://soundcloud.com/juanepstein
Cipha Sounds and Peter Rosenberg's 'Juan Epstein' is the longest running and most beloved hip hop nerdcast on the planet. They ask the questions that only TRUE nerdy fans can ask. Past guests include Jay-Z, Eminem, Aziz Ansari, Big Daddy Kane, Ghostface, Diamond D, Redman, Patrice O'neal, and many more!

Bench Talk
http://www.benchtalkpodcast.com/
Bench Talk is the podcast that delves into the minds of artists to find out their creative process, how they found fame, and how they make a living off their art.

Jalen & Jacoby
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/podcast/a ... id/9545077
Jalen Rose and David Jacoby give the people what they want, breaking down sports and pop culture as only they can.

Books read in 2016 (didn’t read enough to make a toplist, gonna try to read more next year):
The Wasp Factory by Ian Banks
Double Cup Love by Eddie Huang
Los Angeles Ink Stains, Vol. 1 by John Mahfood
Dansker by Halfdan Pisket
This is water by David Foster Wallace
Death in the Afternoon by Ernest Hemmingway
Drawn & Quarterly: Twenty-five Years of Contemporary Cartooning, Comics, and Graphic Novels by Devlin, Tom
Asterios Polyp by David Mazzucchelli
I read more comics than on this list, but most of them were small independent or Danish comics.

Gonna play footbag tonight! Can’t wait!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 09 Dec 2016 01:36

Footbag yesterday with Nis. Kim had a crisis at home and didn’t show but we had two special guests. Lilbro Pedro was there the entire time and kicked a bag around and Rasmus showed up a bit later and hung out.

Pedrito got his basic kicks down and can do ATW and Legover, but he still needs to figure out toe stalls with magic hop and good form. I tried to convince him to work on it, but I don’t think he was really listening. I would love for him to get so good that he can actually join the circle. Toe stalls, ATWs and Legovers should be enough for that to happen. Rasmus told a funny story about toe stalls - about when he first met Yves Kreil. Yves told him that he had spent half a year(!) just practicing toe stalls to perfect them. Rasmus didn’t understand it at all back then. These days it makes much more sense.

Nis’ knee is acting up again and he did not have a great session. I played okay for the first 30 minutes then my energy sort of disappeared. Had a run with both Toe DLOs and Clipper set DLO. I also had a run with both PS Rev Whirls and a Ducking PS Rev Whirl. Got my 100 kicks + in as planned.

Afterwards we had a couple of beers and talk about New Years parties. Would be nice to see some of the footbag homies on that special night.

Hello good looking!

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 16 Dec 2016 01:53

Yesterday I had one of my best sessions in a while.
In attendance were: Kim, Nis and Andreas.

I played almost an hour and a half with Kim. High intensity and lots of props.
I worked very hard on getting 20 infinities. I got 19 once and I got 15 maybe 10 times. I need to hit this before 2017. Good thing I got one more session this year. Kim went more for big tricks and hard links, where I was more in drilling mode, but we fed well off each others energy. Great session.

Next week we are gonna try to do a end of the year / chrismas session and get some more people to show. I did some photoshop magic to convince “The Foot Clan” to show up.

FOOTBAG YEAR 2016

I gotta say - this year was good year.

Here are the goals I had for 2016:

- Play more footbag
Definitely did that. If as planned I play next thursday I will have played footbag 41 times this year.
- Attend two footbag tournaments outside of Denmark
Only attended one - Euros in Frankfurt.
- Make one great video
I feel like I did that with this one
- 50 Tiltless
Not even close - gonna try again next year.
- 20 Infinites
Hopefully getting this next thursday.
- 12 contacts of BOP drill
Fuck osis!

FOOTBAG!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BN-ILFdA-Cb/

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 29 Dec 2016 02:51

On the 22nd we had a Christmas session. Kim, Nis, Jasper, Rasmus, Peder and Frederik all came out and played. I finally got the 20 infinites. I also hit Gyro Guay > Muted Swirl and Symple Legover > DATW [rpt].

2017 PLANS

Shred goals:
- Play footbag 52 times (Once a week average)
I played 41 times this year, so it should be possible.
- 30 Infinities
- 75 Tiltless

Footbag & Travel:
- Worlds!

Video:
- Seems pretty obvious that I should make a big production from my trip to the US
- I also wanna do a good solo video - It has been too long.

FootbagDenmark:
- Small Danish Champs only for DK players
- Cottage trip
- More promotion

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 06 Jan 2017 00:36

It has been a rough morning. It was -10 celsius (14 fahrenheit) when I woke up and that is exactly where I find it is too cold to bike to work, so for once I took the bus. When I finally got to work the coffee machine wasn’t working and it still doesn’t. So here I am drinking tea and looking forward to the weekend. Yesterday’s session was dope however.

In attendance: Nis, Kim, Frederik, Verena and yours unruly.

I mainly played with Verena. We haven’t seen her for a while since she has been travelling and has a broken hand but I thought her game looked decent. Also played quite a bit with Frederik. Second session in a row he has attended. He says it is a 40-year crisis and that his wife is pissed that he isn’t rich enough to buy a sports car instead. I found that quite funny. I played so/so. Some highlights:
- Same DLO b2b
- Flying Toe Stalls bs (Haven’t done that in ages)
- Paradon bs (Also haven’t done that in ages)

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Jan 2017 04:03

That's a much cheaper mid life crisis option...

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 01 Feb 2017 01:32

I have missed the past 3 thursday sessions. First I was sick, then I had to work super late and then I was in Norway - also with work. I hope to play tomorrow and on friday we have our annual (this time very late) Christmas lunch. More on that when it has actually happened, but there is something I have got to get off my chest and what better place than here:

I broke up with my girlfriend on friday. It feels right, but it is also rough. This is a girl I have lived with, have talked kids with, been with for 2+ years etc. She is currently staying at my apartment and I am staying at my brothers. The bad thing is that it will be costly. I will have to find a roommate or pay full rent on my home and pretty much buy all new furniture. This makes me doubt that I will be able to go Worlds and that fucking sucks.

On a more positive note: As a christmas gift I got a drawing course. The teacher is a full time artist, used to live in NY, graduated from the finest Danish art school. Here is his website. I’ve been four times now(it is 3 hours every week for 8 weeks) and it is great. Here is a drawing I did there:

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 01 Feb 2017 04:08

That's rough. You were planning to go to the USA with her, weren't you? Get a new roommate, charge them way more rent than you pay, sleep on the floor, then you should be sweet to go to Worlds.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Feb 2017 15:24

Asmus wrote:
01 Feb 2017 01:32
I broke up with my girlfriend on friday. It feels right, but it is also rough. This is a girl I have lived with, have talked kids with, been with for 2+ years etc.
I went through the same thing a couple of years ago. Was with her for 4.5 years, traveled between Japan and Taiwan with her, then we both moved to NZ together. I realized, as you said you did, that it felt like the right thing to do, but it was definitely rough; it took me 6 months to finally decide and break it to her. It does suck at the beginning but does get easier to deal with. I made it through, and so will you :P

It also sucks about worlds. I am trying to get there myself but as of right now it looks grim, being on the other side of the world and all...

Maybe we should just skype while everyone is at worlds and play with our sacks together.

Love you.
TJ Boutorwick

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 09 Feb 2017 00:57

Thanks for the nice words guys. Footbaggers are the best.
boyle wrote:
01 Feb 2017 04:08
That's rough. You were planning to go to the USA with her, weren't you?
I was.

I did not play footbag on thursday. I did however go to our annual Christmas Lunch on friday. We met up at the usual restaurant “Spiseloppen” and first had our “Annual General Meeting”. Here are some notes from that:

In attendance: Nis, Rasmus, Mathias, Troels, Jasper, Jan, Frede, Tobias, Paul, Michael, Verena, Peder and Me.

Chairman(Nis)'s Report:
- A very quiet year
- Nis and Hole went to Worlds
- Asmus went to Euros
- Danish Open was cheap and cozy
- We did no shows this year.
- We started selling bags. It is going well without much promotion.

Election:
- Board stays the same except one extra member (Verena).

Other:
- We think we are gonna have a small Danish Champs this year. No foreign guests. Hopefully that can make more Danes compete.
- We encouraged everybody to post more on our facebook page.

After that we had a lottery with some footbag prices ate dinner and got drunk. Afterwards some of us went to a bar. It was a good night.

The crew and some random youngins

My own life is still pretty chaotic. I am back living in my own apartment, together with my now ex girlfriend. It is working out okay. She is moving out early March. So hopefully I can get my life back together soon.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Feb 2017 01:13

Asmus wrote:
09 Feb 2017 00:57
...So hopefully I can get my life back together soon.
new-and-improved-Asmus wrote: ...So I am looking forward to getting my life back together starting in March.
You can do it homie, and it will be such a good feeling when you do. I'm looking forward to that post.
TJ Boutorwick

Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: A Master with a Riceball

Post by Asmus » 10 Mar 2017 01:40

IIIIII’M BAAAACK” - Juelz Santana

The new blog title is a direct translation of the title of this old article about me.

I played motherf’ing footbag yesterday with Kim and Mathias.
Blau was playing fairly well. He had a run with Pixie Gyro Mirage bsos and a Pixie Gyro Drifter thrown in there. Kim was struggling a bit but it was good to see the big homie again. I played okay for taking a long break.

Two highlights from me:
- Atomic Reverse Whirl [bs]
I think that’s a new trick.
- 16 Guiltless
Definitely seeing progress on Buttahflies and Pdx Mirages

I feel good about life and the future is looking bright. You are gonna get a longer life update next time.

Has anyone ever commented “The Owls are not what they seem..” on one of Kenny Shultz’ owl pictures? It seems so obvious but I had a little laugh for myself. I can’t wait for the new season of Twin Peaks.

boyle
Post Master General

Re: A Master with a Riceball

Post by boyle » 14 Mar 2017 16:32

Look forward to hearing about this bright future!