mc

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 07 Sep 2008 20:09

Hey Matt,

I had a chance to listen to your music. Aside from being impressed by your talent, I also really liked the way you performed your covers.

Somewhere over the rainbow was well-restrained with such a nice groove, and attention to detail. So many unexpected and powerful colorings.

The Zelda theme was quite unexpected. I may have to get you an empty bucket of KFC next time I see you if you keep up with that walking baseline/hammer on magic.

Karma Police is one of those songs that I played, myself, a hundred times, easilly. What I like about your version was the agility of your fingers, the higher bits that represent Thom's voice, how well you owned the meandering nature of the track, and the finishing touches with the harmonics was very well done. props.

I will have to listen to your new, original track another time when I can pay it the attention that it deserves.

Oh yeah, Thanks for the Bag. I think it's going to be epic when I let myself use it. As it is, I just took the time to break in the bag I bought off of you at Cornell last year and it's really impressive. It's so small and perfectly even and weighed that it makes me want to wear lavers with it.
(Sorry for taking the top of your page, btw)

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 09 Sep 2008 12:39

Doug and Mosh and Ian!

Thanks for reading my piece on TOJam :) I had a blast doing it. I haven't felt like doing interviews at my last few event, but hopefully I can get some good opinions at the next thing I go to.

Ian in particular, thanks for looking over my YouTube videos. My music definitely means a lot to me.

Sometimes I wonder if I'm more footbagger or more musician...

funny thing is, I go to music concerts and hardly listen to the music, I just play footbag.

I go to footbag tournaments and hardly play footbag. I play a shit ton of guitar, though.
BRICK!

rfa::never give up::
nyfa

Ian Brill
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Ian Brill » 09 Sep 2008 20:37

Matt Cross wrote: I go to music concerts and hardly listen to the music, I just play footbag.

I go to footbag tournaments and hardly play footbag. I play a shit ton of guitar, though.
Sounds to me like you are living your life the way you see fit. I know how well your individual efforts manifest in our sport. Ridiculous inventions. Great, improvisational mc'ing. Almost forgot- really good footbags. What I don't see is what you bring to these concerts. But I can guess. I started playing guitar around the same time I started playing footbag. It's not all about being a performer. It's about giving something unique to a fresh audience. Almost as if to repay the inspiration that originally attracted us to a medium.

You are an alright guy, and I am as glad that you demand so much for your footbags as I am glad that you have a marshall stack. Word. Still looking for the right time to check out your solo stuff but it's a lot easier to review covers when you take creation very seriously. Just got to find the right time.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 22 Sep 2008 06:37

Hi modified!

Here's some recent bags I've made. I'm loving them! I've switched back to 3 stitch for now, but I've picked a different way of moving the needle through the fabric. Plus, I just got some new colors. So I'm feeling like a brand new stitcher. I made 2 bags yesterday, and 2 bags the day before (one of which is already busted; DO NOT BUY TULIP).

Also, due to a HUGE drop in sales, I've brought my bag price back down to $30 +shipping.

As for footbag playing news, I've done it once since funtastik in a serious fashion, a few times casually. I have a lot of fun with the game, but I'm not pushing it forward right now. I got to a new plateau over the summer, I felt, and I'd like to get back there. it's good to rest, though.

As music news goes, I spent some hours in the studio on thursday, and I go back tomorrow. I've got 3 tracks done so far, and a lot more to go! I'm excited; the next album will come soon. I hope some baggers will want it :)

Someone should come visit me in fredonia soon. I've got some sweet couches and a sweet shred porch. Give it some thought.

Matt
BRICK!

nyfa

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 22 Sep 2008 09:40

do you remember playing somewhere over the rainbow for us at the harrisburg east campground years ago?

as you built that song towards the end, it reminded me of Tuck Andress (of Tuck and Patti). I'm sure you know him, but if not (or if you haven't listened to him much) youtube him. He's amazing (Patti is too.. you can find duet stuff or his solo improv). Actually, just saw he does over the rainbow too.

Anyhow, good stuff
Bob R.

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 22 Sep 2008 09:54

Hey, I haven't heard much tuck andress, although I've heard that he's off the hook. I'm going to watch some now.

I do recall that version I used to play. it was a good bit more complex than the one I play now, but here's a big difference: when I played it that way, I didn't understand what I was doing, or what the chord substitutions were, etc etc etc. Basically, I played it like "monkey see, monkey do".

with the new way I play it, I can play it in many different keys, I understand how the chords function with the melody, etc...

so, yeah, I'll probably revisit that old style in the future :)

nice to hear from you, Bob. You hosted my first tournament! Philly Open 99, I believe! maybe 98?
BRICK!

nyfa

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 22 Sep 2008 10:33

Matt, I miss you!

I should come visit you in Fredonia.

See you sometime soon friend!
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 23 Sep 2008 20:03

here's bag 191!

Here's some Music Vids!@!!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy7yu9_oPCA[/youtube]
I Heard It Through The Grapevine - part tutorial, part just playing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTJZ9kkKKuk[/youtube]
Wish You Were Here - acoustic guitar instrumental

I just spent 4 hours in the studio, 3 hours of which was unproductive! everything that could have went wrong, did. We were glad to get a bad session out of the way so we can come back with a good one next time... Hopefully not so many technical difficulties, and hopefully I won't fundamentally screw up my guitar tracks! I left one part out on the first recording that led to an hour and a half wasted.

but, I don't feel bad. We got some good touches put on one track, and we had a good time, and I really like working with these guys, so next time will be good.

Been stitching footbags, but not kicking them. That's okay. I've got a bunch made now. Just took an order for #200, from Matt Beall. He has 100 and 150 as well, so when he said he needed a new one, i suggested he wait a little bit for the next one in his number scheme.

I'm glad for my new stitching technique, it's really fast and looks nice... nicer than my pics do justice, actually, but oh well :/ They feel great. They're going to be great bags.

anyway, I'm just rambling right now. I hope some people enjoy the videos!
Last edited by mc on 25 Sep 2008 07:59, edited 1 time in total.
BRICK!

nyfa

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 24 Sep 2008 21:46

Awesome rendition of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." That's great that you're making a cd, how many tracks are on it? Are they all originals? You should put "The Botanist" on a cd someday. That song was bomb the night you played it at GRASS or YEAH or something. Anyway, sounds like your doing well. Music sounds good, footbags look good, hopefully I'll see you at a tourny sometime before the end of 2008!

Peace
Doug Tank

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 15 Nov 2008 09:29

page 3 in the footblogs. !

tom and jay and hacky sack jack are coming to visit me, and we're going to have a sweet session with a local player that I played with in buffalo this summer.

We're going to film for a christmas calendar vid!

just wanted to let people know that I am alive and still aspire to be a good footbagger.

other than that, I have 2 bags for sale right now. get 'em while they're hot!

i look forward to playing with the PengPeng and David footbags I got in the mail from Sergey Kozlov. Thanks Sergey! it's gonna be a rockin good footbag day today.

I ate a good breakfast, I'm drinking coffee now, and I'm going to get one of those 5 hour energy things before the sess, and hit some good stuff for the camera, including my rev swirl symp torque in better quality that I can then slomo for people.

Then we're going to chill at the house for a while, and go to a house party tonight! I can't wait!

I haven't had a good footbag hangout in a long while. I wish paul could make it.
BRICK!

nyfa

footbagi
BSOS Beast

Post by footbagi » 16 Nov 2008 07:21

Hey Matt,
It's uplifting to come back and see that your still motivated and on track with footbag. Page 3 eh? Mine was somewhere even deeper in the basement. I would compliment you on the quality of your bags but you know that I would have to shred one before I could properly judge it. :wink: I recently stitched the first footbagi in 7 months. Then, that night, I forgot it at the movie theater. 8O Despite the lack of stitching the quality of my bags are at an all time high so I might be ready for a trade....

Tom, Jay, and Jack are coming for shred? Well I hope you make the most of it because it sounds like a ton of fun! When is your next trip to Kingston to shred with Greg and I?

EDIT: I really enjoyed the videos, great work!
Last edited by footbagi on 16 Nov 2008 13:42, edited 1 time in total.
First think about how to practice or don't bother practicing.

John Bagi

semiconscious
Multidex Master

Post by semiconscious » 16 Nov 2008 09:10

Hey Matt Cross!
I was just listening the tunes you posted, and I dig them heavily. The instrumental wish you were here is great.
You actually didn't trade bags with Sergey Kozlov, I'm pretty sure you traded with another very skilled Sergey, Sergey Pikalov, who lives out here on the east coast. I only know this because I was talking to him, and he said he was trading these bags with you. I'm real excited to meet up with him and give the bags you traded to him a test run.

PS the blueberry bag that I got at TO Jam is just coming into its own, and has moved from 'warmup' bag to 'choice- middle of the session when I wanna try hard stuff' bag. And it continues to be, as it always was, the prettiest sack in my sack collection.
Sam Neale

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 28 Nov 2008 10:14

Sam, don't know if you'll read this... sorry I didn't reply sooner!

yes, pikalov, not kozlov :) the bags I made him were nice. I was very glad for the trade. He just ordered 2 more as well. It makes me feel so good when people place orders for multiples. a few of my repeat customers have done this.

I liked that blueberry bag a lot, I'm glad you're enjoying it as well.

Cormac and tommy gartland may come through today! we can have an epic jamout and chill at the gig I'm playing tonight! how exciting.

well, I just got an order for another 2 or 3 bags, and I'm 3 or 4 bags behind, so I'm going home to stitch now. peace baggers!

miss you all... can't wait for NYJ.
BRICK!

nyfa

Jdigges
Flower Child

Post by Jdigges » 28 Nov 2008 15:41

matt cross don't joke when its time to smoke!!
Josiah Digges

Embassy Footbag Crew

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 28 Nov 2008 15:54

woooo countdown to NYJ!!! 8)
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

footbagi
BSOS Beast

Post by footbagi » 14 Jan 2009 14:15

Cross,

your fresh footbagI is in thine mail. Keep in mind that this bag is a rare experiment. A unique little friend that will make you smile. Ok I'll stop prepping you for its arrival. I've got my fingers Crossed on this one though.

Can you make it to Toronto for some Canada UNITE feat. Finland and America. I think Jay is setting up a constant smorgasbord so it should be tasty. Hope to see you again, its been a while.
First think about how to practice or don't bother practicing.

John Bagi

mc
Modifiend

Post by mc » 26 Apr 2011 19:34

<3

played fbag today with ben cooke in mccarren park in brooklyn.

I had a goal of 60 contacts with good moves and variety, hit 63 at the end of the session. I'm going to try and break my last session's highest contacts at every session. Also, I hit rubberman today, as well as osis > symp whirl > flapper > clipper > symp whirl > rpt. Two new moves as well: symp revup, and cloud set symp swirling osis.

We had a long session, and some long strings. We were pretty beat by the end. The weather was ideal, and we got a great workout. I'm lucky to be in a big city with a great club and lots of passion for footbag going around.

In other news, I'm starting work soon for a huge music festival called Gathering of the Vibes, and a good friend of mine is marrying an awesome chick in about a month and a half. You may know him as Slick. There also happens to be a footbag jam associated with this marriage, complete with complementary shred apartment and beer.

If you're within an 8 hour drive of Montreal, I expect you to be there.

Maximum thrustage commence.

Also, please order footbags from me.
BRICK!

nyfa

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 26 Apr 2011 19:59

Yo..love the repeat combo and cloud set sounds sick...
glad your doing well

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 26 Apr 2011 20:43

Maximum thrustage commence... haha i love it.

Whatcha doing at Vibes?
chris dean

Laroche
Footbagger.

Post by Laroche » 28 Apr 2011 07:54

REALLY looking forward to seeing you Matt!

Good string length too, btw... you've gotten buck nasty on us :D
Nicholas Laroche