Drew ~ Philadelphia

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 02 Dec 2008 14:27

uh oh 5 consec. posts=good luck charm perhaps?

Been shredding more again now that I'm not sick/recovering. Have also been jumping rope a ton during my sessions and workouts, between random exercises and reps. It helps endurance, I can tell already.

Anyway, been working on toe same side whirl/drifters, symple legovers, and unusual links with osis and butters. Also since playing with Bob last week, I've been really paying attention to my butterflies and double planting, which I previously had a problem with.

pixie set on both sides is continuing to progress, now able to pixie in strings, have just been drilling things like legover<pixie set & rpt opposite side.

I feel more controlled in movements and can put less effort into the basic foundation tricks in the middle of a string, saving energy for more intense stuff. Stitched a few bags, love how they look and feel. I'll try to get pics up. Have been shredding only in my leather lavers recently, out of the blue switched back to em, now I'm glad I did. my other lavers were getting beat and the sole was wearing down, these leather ones are in great condition.

more soon.

edit:

symposium whirl hit. DLO hit. pixie drifter hit. ducking butter bs hit. pdx whirl toe'd

JoshC.
Multidex Master

Post by JoshC. » 03 Dec 2008 12:08

Post those pics! Your bags are my favorite out there and I'd love to see new ones.
Would you be down for a trade sometime? My bags are not up to par yet, but when they are, I'll I let you know.
Peace.
Josh Cummings

I'll rest when I'm dead.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Check out my shred blog: http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 20&start=0
Check out my skate blog: http://cummingsspeedskating.blogspot.com/

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 03 Dec 2008 21:45

some pics of footbag gear

made for myself, plays like a dream. 55.4g, purple biohazard with black hexes in middle, surrounded by mixed light blue/petit pois(green) pents

2 stitch, 72grams, first bag made after long break. light blue pents surrouneded by flash red, orange, and yellow hexes.

59.5 grams, nice and round, good fill to it. orange hexes surround petit pois pents

My fav of recent bags. 62.1 grams, active green ultrasuede soft surrounded by ultrasuede light blue, red, orange and yellow. I call it Fruit Loops.

and my shoe collection.

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 04 Dec 2008 06:19

nice bags! the active green one is easily the sickest, at least by looks. nice kicks too.
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 09 Dec 2008 17:39

Thanks Pete!

I've been considering starting a thread in For Sale to try and get my name out there for bags. I've been pumping out some nice looking ones lately that feel sexy! Sexy bags MMHMMMM

62.8 grams

Had a session this morning for 2 hours. Nothing new but good progress, except I feel like I'm working backwards on stepping while doing better on pixie. Oh well, will drill stepping once pixie both sides is workable into strings. Shouldn't be long. String length is getting longer, and adding some nice tricks to em'

JoshC.
Multidex Master

Post by JoshC. » 10 Dec 2008 12:10

Those are awesome looking.
Josh Cummings

I'll rest when I'm dead.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always gotten.

Check out my shred blog: http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.ph ... 20&start=0
Check out my skate blog: http://cummingsspeedskating.blogspot.com/

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 10 Dec 2008 23:42

thanks Josh!

58.8 grams country cream biohazard surrounded by multicolors

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 11 Dec 2008 17:13

Hit reverse whirls for the first time today. both sides.

whirl < rev whirl bs

butterfly's are sexy,

inifity x 10

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 29 Dec 2008 14:33

Just got back from a 5-6 mile run around town. Little chilly out but I warmed up quickly.

Xmas was great,good to be home with the family, see friends haven't seen in years and catch up. Not to mention time off from class!

Played with Bob and Brian Friday at collegeville ymca, I played ok. Used to shreding with music on my iPod, and being able to flow with the music much easier and closer than with speaker audio.

Bobfilmed for a little bit,I hit some cool stuff but nothing new. Good bops, good whirls, good tiltless. Was cool seeing themm hadn't played at the ymca in a few months and we all seemed to improve some. Bob and Brian are hitting their more difficult tricks more consistently and longer strings

I want to have more tricks and wider variety

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 08 Jan 2009 10:38

AAAAAAHH! My first day back working on campus, nothing here to fix :D
Just finished swimming for about 45 minutes, I smell all over like chlorine. Been swimming more recently, feels great and my form feels like it is improving.

Had a good session last night and the night before too, each session for about 1.5 hours in the middle of a workout with lifting and other cardio like jumping rope.

Been working on ducking recently, hit some new stuff last night, ducking paradox mirage both sides, ducking symposium mirage, ducking osis both sides. Also worked a good amount of drifters, whirls and pixies both sides. Drifter and whirl from opposite toe and same side toe keep getting better. Paradox whirls are more occurring on each side too.

Pixie is still really strange. I realized yesterday that I need to land primarily on my toes for pixie, landing on the heels of my feet will just slow me down and I'll have to try to move faster, which is what I have been doing for a little while. So I tried this method of staying more on the toes and it was a good idea, not as rushed and the bag pops up straighter and faster, leaving more time for the next component.

String length is getting better. I'm more concerned with getting every trick solid at the moment, and after I have it schooled adding it into strings. I would like to be able to hit tricks solid and smooth rather than worrying about the length of contacts with sloppy looking tricks.

Have been stitching more bags recently, sold a couple already, going to have to update my for sale thread.

I have a few resolutions for the new year, stitch and sell/trade more bags, attend more events, stop smoking (even if just a lil when I drink), bench 200+lbs, participate in at least 3 local running/biking events, keep meeting fresh faces.

It seems like more people are slowly hearing about footbag! I ate breakfast with my mom and sis at this cafe back home last week, and while eating this kid working there commented on the Laver's I was wearing. Apparently he plays footbag and lives nearby, so I'm pretty anxious to kick with him sometime. It seems like kickers are popping up all over the place, which I think is a good thing. It's too bad that I think I'm the only active player up here @ Temple, Carrie is busy usually and Tom has work a shit-ton, but Tom and I are supposed to kick sometime soon. Haven't seen him in a few months, I feel like my level of play since last time we kicked is a great deal better. Can't wait 'til nice weather so I can play outside, maybe have a hat or Frisbee out collecting tips

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 11 Jan 2009 13:32

I twisted my knee stupidly the other night hoisting my bike into roommate's truck.

It sucks.

Had to cancel my trip to NYC for surprise party and shred after twisting it.

Been icing it and resting, but it really fucking blows.

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 20 Jan 2009 18:05

knee is better. played some today, made me feel good. Whirls and dynos with my recently injured knee are going to be at a minimum for a lil while, but other side is looking good. Just doing basic stuff and tiltless string length.

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 22 Jan 2009 17:41

Played some hacky sack today and yesterday. Yesterday played with CArrie who hadn't played in a few months, she was better than I remember.

PLayed by myself today for about 45 minutes, huge progress on pixie both sides. ducking clippers are getting pretty solid.

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 29 Jan 2009 17:21

Been doing a lot of stuff lately. Class, work, at the gym pretty much takes my entire time. Not much time to just hang out and relax these days, trying to keep busy.

So I sprained my knee a few weeks ago and recovered pretty quickly from it. Whirls on that side are coming well and so are dyno's.

So I've been steadily keeping up with the gym 4+ days a week, mixing up my routine as to when I play footbag, before or after lifting. I've learned that after doing squats whatever work I do on pixie set seems to have more of an impact, maybe from my upper legs getting tired or more used, but it's working. Ducking tricks are improving a ton, able to consistently hit them mid string like ducking pdx mirages and ducking clippers.

I'm taking a Tae Kwon Do class this semester too! We really began doing things this week, so far each class has been a ridiculous cardio work out. the instructor is pretty much trying to get the people who aren't so devoted out of the class, and get everyone in shape for the moves he wants us to be able to do. a fourth of the class is usually pretty winded after about 20 minutes into the 1.5 hour workout, but I've been looking for a great cardio workout like this for a while. We're working abs, upper legs, lower legs, and ridiculous stretches on quads and hamstrings, I did not know my legs could stretch as far as they did! I think I'm going to join the University club if it's anything like these first couple classes have been like, I'd love to be able to compete in events along the east coast.

I've also started running/jogging more at the gym. A year and a half ago I was about %9.6 body fat, according to the rec center's IBA method of electronically finding body fat %. Yesterday I was %13.3, definitely still in the healthy range, if not more healthy than last year, but I'd like to lose 5-10lbs I've put on recently, though it may be muscle.

Plan on hitting up a few events this year and starting some jams here in Philly. Jam in pittsburgh, NYC, boston, and possibly worlds if all goes well. We'll see :lol:

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 12 Feb 2009 17:05

EDIT! Anyone happen to have some good strings I can practice? Anything will do, looking to up my game, string length and technical wise.

Sitting here @ work, getting stuff done.

Pretty sore from TKD club last night, it was over 2 hours, where as the class is 70 minutes, but I learned a lot, going to try to keep going. Only problem is I'm a little sore, especially after the class this morning again.

After TKD class I played some footbag, worked on ducking and diving both sides. Getting that flick sort of clipper down on both sides. Rewatched a video on stepping set and it has some great tips, I've been meaning to revamp my stepping game now that pixie is stronger. Too bad my quads were so damn sore from TKD, haha, I'll end up playing this weekend when they're fresh. I did end up getting a few good stepping sets in, but mainly worked on easier lower leg stuff like osis and dyno bs.

Recently got me some more thread, I've been out of it for more than a month, so should be pumping out some more bags soon, including a custom one I owe my younger sis :P

More updates soon, I'm sure of it!
Last edited by Drew on 13 Feb 2009 08:56, edited 1 time in total.

Rieferman
Flower Child

Post by Rieferman » 13 Feb 2009 06:21

yo, first, probably should get another bag from you soon. moderate gather like we discussed.. i think you understand how "full" I like em etc. too. no hurry the other 2 bags should last me some time yet. and don't forget we were going to add some fill to that blue bag too.

bring pen and paper to next session together and we can spend some time afterwards working out some ideas for you to practice.

i haven't played all week (shred tent is being dismantled this weekend too) and plan to play on sunday... any chance you'll be nearby?
Bob R.

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 16 Feb 2009 19:48

Played some today! Decided to slip on an old pair of lavers instead of my leathers ones and I feel liike it made a difference. Everything felt smoother, dexes cleaner, and certainly faster. Pixies midstring were abundant, and stepping was seen both sides in multiple strings. Me happy. Going to try back with my old lavers for a lil bit now.

Hit ducking legover bs, ducking dyno, diving dyno, ducking butterfly bs, just felt like good shred. and only played for like 30 mins.

legs are sore from TKD. more shred soon

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 19 Feb 2009 16:08

So this is odd. Few months ago I was shredding regularly in mesh Lavers and randomly was in the mood to switch to my leather lavers. I ended up shredding better in leather than I did in mesh lavers so I stuck with them for a few months.

Now, I again recently switched from leather to my old mesh and have seen another progressive jump in my game. It's all very strange to me.

Played for about 40 minutes after TKD class today. My legs were pretty tired and a little sore from class but I toughed through it. Pixie set both sides mid-string has been getting better and better lately. I am very happy :D So happy that I've gone back to work on stepping set both sides, which is also better mid-string. Better as in I can hit it mid-string now both sides.

Ducking is pretty good both sides as well, much more solid than previously, able to hit it mid-string both sides. Tricks are getting easier in general to control which in turn means longer strings. Have been working on more difficult links lately on both sides, and then incorporating them into the strings.

I'm dipping lower on the support leg on my clippers, which is partly the reason stepping and ducking has improved, I feel.

drills I've been working on:
blur b2b 1st attempt
pixie > ss osis > near legover rpt
whirl > butterfly rpt
dyno > drifter rpt
dyno > ducking clipper > osis rpt

some other stuff I don't remember :?

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 19 Feb 2009 16:40

duffelbag wrote: drills I've been working on:
blur b2b 1st attempt
pixie > ss osis > near legover rpt
whirl > butterfly rpt
dyno > drifter rpt
dyno > ducking clipper > osis rpt

some other stuff I don't remember :?

toe blur? blur doesn't repeat.
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Drew
Fearless

Post by Drew » 19 Feb 2009 18:16

aha good point!

My mistake, blur > op clipper > blur

Toe blur, what exact kind of set would that be