Janis's blog - (un)retired from footbag

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 04 Aug 2007 21:22

Just went to my last city session.
Sick to death of people bailing out and not telling me, I try to ring people and nobody picks up. In future I'm not going to be making the trip into the city, shredding at home just seems far more preferable. I just don't have the time anymore to go into the city to get fucked around.

Canthraxsoldier
Multidex Master

Post by Canthraxsoldier » 06 Aug 2007 18:17

Janis, I take offence to that comment.

The last time I talked to you, you said "no, I doubt I'll be coming on Sunday"

and then, I sent you a message, in the morning of Sunday, saying this is the time we're kicking. When I received no reply, I expected that you wouldn't be coming, as that was what you had previously said. Seeing that it was only a 2 person session, it was much shorter. Me and James played for about an hour, and once JP said he wasn't going to be coming anymore, we left.

Maybe you should consider saying that you'll come if you want people to meet you there. Or come on time, not 2 hours late.
Daniel Boyle
Footblog- http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=8613

LJ- http://www.livejournal.com/users/danbok/
myspace- http://myspace.com/danfromcanbra

President- UCU Footbag Club, Canberra
ACT Rep- Australian National Footbag Council

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 06 Aug 2007 20:42

Due to circumstances beyond my control I arrived at Alexandra gardens at 1:50, so then I went over to fed square, by which time nobody was there. I hung around for over an hour before messaging/ringing anyone.

I was pretty angry when I wrote that last post, so sorry if I've offended you.

however that is still the last time I will be making the trip into the city sessions. It has been good kicking with you guys, but now I'm too busy to make the weekends, thanks for the good times over the last year.

Canthraxsoldier
Multidex Master

Post by Canthraxsoldier » 08 Aug 2007 17:58

Hey Janis, I was pretty annoyed when I wrote my comment (I had just done my tax return, only to have the computer crash on the last question, only to have to do it again.)

But anyway, I think I'll be passing through Melbourne Uni in the next few weeks, as I've got a friend who goes there that I'd like to catch up with, so we should have a kick then.
Daniel Boyle
Footblog- http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=8613

LJ- http://www.livejournal.com/users/danbok/
myspace- http://myspace.com/danfromcanbra

President- UCU Footbag Club, Canberra
ACT Rep- Australian National Footbag Council

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 11 Aug 2007 06:46

Monday and Thursday at South Lawn 1pm are the kicking times for the Melb uni club.

Had a redicuously busy last week, only got a chance to edit some video footage from last weekend just then. Will upload soonish.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 11 Aug 2007 23:29

shred session with Dominik from Austria:
http://www.footbag.org/gallery/show/12139

I'd really appreciate any tips for my clipper form, please be specific. Tips for tatw out-in would be great.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 16 Aug 2007 01:55

Had a really good kick with the uni club today, really good atmosphere :D
Chilled out with some good hack action 8)

later on I had a shred session with Leon, it's amazing just how good he has gotten in the last few weeks. 8O

I had a great session, really drilled osis and hit some new clipper stuff. Managed to hit symposium torque and symposium drifter. Also bsosed some swirl moves.

hit a new 3 dex combo in shoes:
sailing ss mirage > pixie eggbeater > drop on pixie dlo

clip set near double pickup was amazingly on, double pickup > op clipper > rpt x6 > drop on whirr

dod> double pickup > 20ish contact run with toe barrage and pixie paradon

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 16 Aug 2007 23:43

WOAH fantastic session at a friends house.

20 flipside datw's in-out in the one run.

frantic legover>pixie eggbeater

frantic op illusion 8O

pixie egg > plo > rpt > run

some good enterrages.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 19 Aug 2007 02:00

worked quantum and rev swirls today. Flip quantum is feeling much better now, I had to change the technique to get it more consistent. BSOSed quantum mirage and hit some new flipside quantum moves. Hit 2 rev swirls in a row for the first time and psr whirl> rev swirl. Also footed fusion and plasma a few times, I really need to drill my double downs more.

and why does ripped warrior have to be so hard?...........

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 21 Aug 2007 09:27

ill highlights Janis! Pixie toe Blizzard is soooo awesome!! I hung out with your boy Dan Ednie at worlds some. Cody repped the barefoot shred and an inspired some other people to take their socks and shoes off as well, so you should see a fair amount of barefoot worlds footage in the upcoming weeks. Too bad you could not make it.

Oh and quantum is awesome. I hit my first toe blur at worlds. Glad to see you are totally pwning quantum, it's given me inspiration to skool it. Saw your new video and dug it, a lot less bails, your shred look really good.

2B

Kljopa
Post Master General

Post by Kljopa » 21 Aug 2007 14:53

Iron Clad Ben wrote:ill highlights Janis!

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 23 Aug 2007 05:18

thx for the posts guys :)

felt really sore recently, probably because I have stopped using anti-inflammatories as of last week. Played in random hack circles every day since the weekend, flier combos stuff like dragonfly>jester>pass are getting much more consistent now. Played heaps today, hit some new stuff and did some new runs. Managed to hit 2 new ticks in the one run by hitting quantum ss clipper bsos, the first time I'd done either. Also atomic legover>plo>rpt, quantum leg> plo > rpt. Hit heaps of flipside barflies, flip blurriest and pixie paradon are still really crappy though. I was trying to hit paradon>barrage> dbl switch>rpt but I kept choking at stupid moments. Paradon>pdx mirage>rpt> run was probably the best clipper combo of the day. Clipper news: osis and drifters are still really crappy, swirls have gotten quite a bit better although flip rev swirl is horribly inconsistent, though that might be due to injury.

been a bit pissed off with footbag recently, sometimes I'm tempted to put the time into getting good at footbag but other priorities seem to get in the way. I get the feeling I have a bad body type for footbag, I'm rarely injury free these days and that kinda gets annoying. Contemplating making a go for worlds next year, hopefully it doesn't clash with my studies...............

Pyroman924
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by Pyroman924 » 25 Aug 2007 04:57

Hot damn man. You've been keeping busy I see. 8 ) Props on all the new hits/drills and shit man. Atomic Legover>Pixie Legover>Repeat sounds nice. Now I just have to learn Pixie. :lol:

Hope all is well buddy.
Alan Underhill

http://www.myspace.com/pyroman924

"The more you drop, the better you get." -Ben Rinowski

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 26 Aug 2007 00:28

thanks for the props :D

Yeah I've certainly been keeping busy, too busy to shred as much as I'd like to :roll:

did a few rev swirls before, they are starting to feel a bit better now. I keep hearing talk about clipper form but no details, what should you be trying to do to get better clipper form?

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 26 Aug 2007 03:31

felt the need to shred, had a night session, played for about 45mins. Worked on my clipper game for almost all of it and also drilled some flipside pincher sets. Fixing up flip clipper has been a real challenge, I felt like there has finally been some progress over the last few sessions. Hit a perfect clipper set ss butterfly swirl>run, also hit ss butter>infinity > rpt > run quite a few times.
Swirl really seems to rely on clipper form, when the clipper lands in the correct position swirl is just soooooo easy. Rev swirl is getting better and better.
Whirl is still very difficult, managed toe ss whirl bsos a few times, but that was really hard.
Hit drifter>drifter to finish the session.

my calf muscles are killing me now, just not accustomed to the new clipper technique. But for once my quads feel great :D

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 27 Aug 2007 03:46

Another good night session with a friend. Managed to get some great butterfly swirls, worked on clipper form. Now head high stepping sets aren't all that hard. Also trying to get some better pixies and pincher pixies.

worked knee bumping for a while, hit pixie knee bumping butterfly bsos and pixie knee bumping dlo. Worked pinchers, hit pincher set ducking illusion for the first time in ages and also did some ducking clouds/pinchers.

also hit a cool challenge: heel>ss pincher>roll down to osis>rev walkover

all the drilling of clipper form seems to be paying off, rev swirls are way better now. Osis still sucks, I think I'm doing something wrong.....
right flapper kick set rev swirl 8O :D
Hit a badass pixie same swirl, also footed ripstein a few times, gotta drill regular (non symple) swirls heaps more though.

swirls > whirls 8)

macca
Hack Fiend

Post by macca » 27 Aug 2007 04:22

Good job Janis!

Its good to hear that you can see your improvement :) It helps when you know your improving. Keep it up man and nail those clippers :lol:
Andrew McIntosh

"These are my new shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it." Charles Barkley

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 30 Aug 2007 04:08

Played twice today.
First session was with the uni group, had a good old circle kick, had heaps of fun :)

had a session today with Daniel, Alex and JP.

hunted a few moves, JP hit eclipse like first try, then later on I hit toe set eclipse and pincher set eclipse.

some new clipper-clipper moves, clipper set flux and ss barfly.
did a "the" gyro barrage, desperately need to fix my clipper spinning.

tried a few new combos, managed to hit butterfly>blizzard>rpt in a guiltless run. Did lots of symp rev whirls,

tried to get some new toe-toe stuff later on (without shoes). Tried to up the ante with the toe flurries a bit, didn't hit any new flurry moves though.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 01 Sep 2007 18:13

Played 3 hours yesterday with Leon, great session but really sore now.
Leon managed to hit atw both directions bsos! :D
also some really good runs including kneebumping legover and flapper kick set near legover.

I was really messed up from the last week, it might have been the most sore I've been starting a session in months. Even some of the most basic clipper moves were a stretch. Rev swirl is getting better, I really like the feeling of that move and I'm going to drill it until I own it.
Clipper set felt really slow and heavy, even getting the set for pdx illusions was a stretch. Hit atomic legover>dod>osis, osis probably being the hardest of the combo :P
also hit heel set dyno.

Still trying to fix my flip datw in-out form, felt a bit of progress.
Finished the session with datw in>terrage>rpt>dso>dso>run with lots of pixie moves.

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 17 Sep 2007 01:07

Had the hugest weekend of footbag :D
Played heaps up at a friends place in the country, mostly practising long runs and routines. I managed to start getting some clipper spinning happening, still need to practice that heaps.

The "joke" combos of the weekend were legbeater>far legover and quantum butterfly>far legover or just any hard move to far legover. (we were joking about some recent video were there were heaps of hard tricks to far legover)

Also met up with a new shredder in the area, ordering him a pair of lavers soon.

Just did an epic 4 hour school demo with Leon today.
The day was fantastic, we ended up doing 8 routines that went for about 3.5 minutes each. The routines got progressively better as we went along. It was good to be consistently hitting double dexes in the routines and also just going really long. One routine was only 2 drops 8)

getting the kids to try some moves was pure chaos, but everyone seemed to enjoy it.

also 6 consec toe barrages first try.