Eskimo Joe's Foot Notes

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Derek
Fearless

Re: Eskimo Joe's Foot Notes

Post by Derek » 11 Sep 2013 10:08

I definitely dig those! Was that like a planted Leg-Over or something? That Nuke ss Butter is way clean, and I like the "Fuck Yes" :lol: . Isn't that just Fairy Drifter, though? Sucks to hear you had complications, technology can really blow. Did you happen to enter in the Sick 3? Hope you don't let it bring ya down too much, and there may be another this year.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 11 Sep 2013 18:27

Eskimo Joe wrote: Funny how you can ride such a high and feel fantastic and then get the wind knocked out of your sail.
I feel you but for different reasons.

It's nuts that we both happened to pick fairy drifter. But yeah the one you posted is fairy op drifter which is definitely harder :P

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 12 Sep 2013 00:56

I bet you could totally hit them again. I hope you keep playing... this is my new favorite blog to follow.

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 12 Sep 2013 15:15

Haha, you're right Derek. I was so pumped on the nuke ss butter that I mistakenly (and repeatedly) called it ss drifter. I am not sure if that is harder than your entry though Cassy. As I mentioned in your blog, yours seemed so much more effortless, which to me shows much higher mastery. I really want to be able to make everything I hit look and feel effortless. It is such a push when you are learning a move, that I feel it is a dis-service to the move not to try and master it. To utilize it as it was meant to be. However, I really like the speed of the one I hit and it made me feel like a ninja (one of the main reason why I started to play). I saw footbag (spellscheck is telling me "footbag" is a typo. Hmm. Maybe there should be a specific dictionary used for Modi?) as my only opportunity to be Bruce Lee-like. But he would have taken out a ninja, so I must rethink my initial feelings.....Mind=Blown.

I am in the middle of a squash tournament so I wont be able to play as much footbag, but I think it is a good time for a mini pause. Esp after my silly rendezvous with the internet. Maybe it is showing me the light. As in I should not be playing to hit moves on video and to compete but to have fun and enjoy. We need some footbag (again with the spelling, geez get with it Modi...) proverbs and shit started. The first one should be:
-hit not the move for video, but for the move itself (bonus if on video)

May this ball of fabric bring you eternal joy
Eskimo Joe

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 12 Sep 2013 19:06

You can add footbag as a word in your browser dictionary and then it will never have the red line :)

I fully agree about mastering tricks. That's why I'm all about long strings and don't really care for big 1/3 as much.

I just hit things I knew I was capable of for the contest. I'm not really about trying the same thing a million times just to get it on video. My entry may not have been difficult but at least it was clean ;)

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 23 Sep 2013 20:27

So this is awesome: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYnCj9ypqFw[/youtube]

I all of a sudden want to hang out with these fine folk. Also Derek.
Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 27 Sep 2013 06:09

Footbag. Gotta love it. I have played every other day since my last post but have not been trying to improve anything more than string length and consistency in the tricks I know. I have fun and I get frustrated. It has always been that way. But it seems to be getting more and more fun. I have been stopping after about an hour with a little bit left in the tank and is making all the difference in the world.

I wish there were other people to play with here sometimes tho. It is awesome to read about other peoples games and stuff so I just pretend I am there with people.

I played yesterday and dont have any highlights. I had alot of fun and left the session with a smile and then hit the steam room. So nice. I plan on playing tomorrow morning before I get to my pool (billiards) league. I am usually stuck in the bar all day long and it is nice to get there after having already done something physical.
Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 15 Oct 2013 07:45

Good day Modified!

I have played nearly every other day since my last post. I havent really been trying much but have been playing to play and enjoy the activity for what it is. I am enjoying footbag more and more with each session and am quite happy with that.

I am doing a terrible job of keeping this updated but after each session I dont really have any great highlights other than the smile on my face and the buckets of sweat. A few things have been getting better for some reason tho. I am able to hit nuke set each side much better now and hot a super sick nuke same butter again but not on film. I have hit it many times now and so close on flip. Also DATW has been getting better and better for what ever reason. I think that as soon as I removed the "this is for exercise" mentality from my game I magically got better and have enjoyed playing a whole lot more. I also havent been too worried about the time I spend playing and just listen to my body more. I am more present in footbag and it feels amazing. I will be playing again tonight and am eager to play!

Footbag!
Eskimo Joe

Outsider
Ayatollah of Rock n' Rollah

Post by Outsider » 15 Oct 2013 09:22

Cool post, cool highlights!

I often get wrapped-up in the "footbag as exercise" mentality, and, truly, I like that, it is not a problem for me. However, I think I may try following your lead on this for a change of pace. Thanks.
"The time has come to convert the unbelievers..."

Jonathan Schneider --- sometimes showers with his Lavers on (to clean them)
The Ministry of Silly Walks
NYFA
BAP

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 16 Oct 2013 07:41

Jon! So nice to have you comment in my blog. Hope all is well and kicking. It was a shame not to see you at Worlds but I understand how life can be. I was just lucky enough to be able to attend.

So I had another session last night that went swimmingly. Lots of drills and lots of practice. Nothing new but really emphasized strings and practiced some drifters. For my drills I aim for 40 contacts, or 20 rpts of each of the following. However, if I make it to 40 contacts, I don't just stop, I see how long I can go, but yesterday they were dropped on the last contact! So I moved on. Here are the drills:
legover>mirage>rpt
pickup>illusion>rpt
butter>pdx mirage>rpt
lo>atw out>rpt
pu>atw in>rpt
clip>ssbutter>oppclip>ssbutter>rpt
butter>ss osis>opp butter>ss osis>rpt
20 drifters to hand catch alternating sides. I want to be able to do this without the handcatches.
pixie pu>ppu>rpt
fairy lo>flo>rpt
the last two I cannot get the full contacts in one shot yet, but am getting to about 5-8 rpts before dropping.
Also datw in and out at random
So much fun and I had a few 60 contacts or runs of just random shit.
Eskimo Joe

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 19 Oct 2013 23:46

Man, I freakin' love your blog, Andrew. 60 contact runs made my night.
Last edited by rjadamson on 20 Oct 2013 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 20 Oct 2013 15:58

Haha, glad you enjoy the blog Reilley.
I played again today for the first time since Thursday. I must have tweaked my back with squash or maybe footbag. I felt a bit tight and tender on the left half of my back. So I took the weekend off of workouts and footbag.

It was nice to get back at it again today. But just as I was about to go play a guy at the club I go to asked if I wanted to play a bit of squash. This guy is leagues better than me but just wants to hit the ball around.I figure, hey, a good warmup to footbag. I hesitate and say that I am going to play some footbag. Then say fuck it, lets do it. I can get some experience in against a guy I know I wouldn't have a chance against in a competitive match. Win win.

I was a bit drained afterwards seeing as he had me running and lunging all over the court! But I played any way. My back was feeling loose and reasy to give at 'er.

I did all the usual drills and repeats and took my time to do it with a calm demeanor so that I would take it easy on my back. I had a blast! It was so fun to play to a slow tempo of just repeats and no pressure to perform high tempo shit. I had some good 40 contact runs.

Highlight, well, sort of. I didn't hit them, but had some very good, up close looks at my first three dex and first atomic anything. Strong side was so much closer than my flip. Next session will be all flip until th efeeling is the same. Stepping opp eggbeater. So close. Also atomic same butter and mirage were just about there. Out of nowhere. The stepping egg felt so good, everything was right in the centre. Have to work more on eggs.

Good times, good times.
Eskimo Joe