Eskimo Joe's Foot Notes

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Eskimo Joe's Foot Notes

Post by Eskimo Joe » 18 Jan 2007 08:08

So here is my footblog.

I started playing hacky sack back in high school and discovered freestyle in '98. But I really only started to play freesstyle this past summer I guess. However, I never knew that it was best to use both sides, so I need to drill my flipside alot more.

I am able to hit:
toe delay (bs)
inside delay (bs)
outside delay (bs)
atw in and out both sides
clipper both sides
guay bs
guay clipper strong side, never tried flipside
I have hot illusion a few times strongside
legover bs
mirage bs
clipper mirage strongside
pendulum bs
pickup bs
pixie (never tried flipside)
rake (never tried flipside)
sole delay strongside
wrap (never tried flipside)
butterfly (bs)
infinity
whirl (strongside only)
hit double over down a few times (strongside) (I think, I went from a toe delay to atw (1 & 1/2 times to clipper)
ducking clipper (only starting on strongside)
duck legover (start strong side)

I also hit atw>opposite toe delay, but I do not know the name
What is it called when you delay it like an inside delay but you scoop it and release it from the clipper position? It kind of goes xbody, then under your leg and up form teh clipper stall. I can hit that to opposite numerous times in a row. I have also hit this to atw and to clipper and to butterfly

Have come really close to:
dlo (starting on strongside)
drifter (starting strongside)
pixie legover

Really need to drill:
flipside everything
pixie sets
ducking sets from clipper and toe
uptime dexes

I plan on drilling alot more

I want to drill this for a while:
100 toe to toe delays
50 clippers each side
50 legover bs
50 pickup bs
25atw in and out bs
50 mirage
50 illusion
50 pixies
50 fairy

In the near future I would like to drill:
osis
ducking
pixie to...
fairy to...

If anyone out there has some good advice for drilling the basics, as I am a beginner, I would love to hear it.

Andrew[/b]
Last edited by Eskimo Joe on 13 May 2008 05:58, edited 11 times in total.
Eskimo Joe

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 18 Jan 2007 09:49

mirage>legover rpt

illusion>pick up rpt

mirage>same side mirage rpt

same side clipper>ss pick up>ss clip>ss legover>ss clip>ss mirage rpt

ss clip>op clip rpt

op clip>op clip>butterfly rpt

butterfly>far legover>butterfly>ss legover rpt

butterfly>whirl>rpt

clip>op clip>ducking clip rpt :D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Try to repeat these as many times as possible and keep good track
of your personal records and try to break some every session;
like that, the basics will become second nature on both sides, you build up
endurance and eventually, good form.

It may sound plain as hell, but good basics are the key to all the bigger
stuff .

enjoy .
EASYKINKI

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 19 Jan 2007 14:32

Hey Andrew, happy to see you here, here's a good one for you :

Clipper > Clipper > rpt * 12 ( means opposite side )

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 22 Jan 2007 06:43

So I only played for a few hours over the weekend, but it was fun.

I drilled the crap out of legovers, mirage, atw, left clipper and illusions.
I feel like the movements are becomming more natural (except illusion). I also drilled alot of clipper to clipper and found that I am getting better at putting moves together.

I can hit left butterflies alot easier now and it feels smooth.

But not much to report. Still did not hit pixie legover.

Finished a 32 and modded my lavers. Cut off the first two eyelets and sewed the toebox to the side walls, looks cool, and I also put some fire on them.
Eskimo Joe

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 22 Jan 2007 07:38

Hehe, don't worry about your illusion problems. That trick is the most unnatural two for most people. I had tons of trouble with it for a long time. Drilling really is the only answer. Do the motion without the bag alot too, just get your legs moving that way.

Props on getting your other two's more natural. If you're looking for your first two dex trick and plo isn't working, try smear (pixie mirage). Alot of people think it's easier.

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 24 Jan 2007 19:50

Played for just over an hour today.

Same drills, the bare basics. Drilling mirage, legovers, pickups, clippers and atw in/out. Tried illusions and can't get them. Weird feelin move. I was closer to geting it on the flipside.

Really different w/o the last two eyelets on lavers. Really makes you use better form and have more stability.

Tried many different bags today to see the difference. Used a Mr. Sandbag, Hania mini and reg, and two of mine. Hania bags are sooooooooo nice. I spent alot of time today just looking at them.

I don't know if I should use my Mr any more b/c it was too easy to stall, and after it felt like I was being sloppy.

Got a nice little run, nice for me

atw in>opp legover>opp butterfly>opp butterfly

Also tried a weird mirage, inside set, dex, inside stall. Is this even a move?

Got about 8 lo in a row and about 6 pickups. Clipper to clipper getting better, but not from flipside. Will spend about half my next session on just left clipper rpt. I found doing an inside left to clipper left back to inside left rpt helps.

Later
Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 29 Jan 2007 21:49

So, I had a pretty informative session today.

Had Kolo and Ianek in Montreal as teachers! Great guys and amazing players. Kolo is soo cool. He hooked me up with some kick ass lavers (will post pics later) for an amazing deal. Everyone who needs shoes, he still has a few colours left! He also has bag for every need, including footfighters.

Kolo and Ianek hit amazing things, things that made me dizzy. Insane. You should see this crazy set Ianek did for the first time. He also hit quite a few moves he had yet to hit until tonight, and they were all quite the sight.

I got a few good length strings, but all basics with a few butterflies thrown in. They helped me figure out the timing for illusions and clipper form and clipper sets. Also with leg placement for pick ups and legovers. Also Ianek tried to teach me xbody rake and I couldn't hit it, but I will not forget the tips. The move felt so alien. I guess what I thought were rakes before were just sideways pickups with a swivel.

I hit illusion for the first time and they said it was pretty clean! And my pick up>mirage rpt is getting alot better, found out I can pixie set, just need to refine it ALOT more, got a little closer to pixie legover, but need to plant the pixie first. Also hit far legover on my second try. So many things learned today. It makes me want to move here to Montreal amd study with these guys. Learn foot-fu.

It also kicks ass to have lavers that fit properly. My last pair fit well before mod, but a tad too big after. My choices were a shoe that was a little too small, 8.5 or a shoe little big, 10. I think I am actually a size 9.375. Plus I decided to keep the toe walls on the new ones. The small pair were given back to Kolo for him to give away as a gift somewhere, sans toe walls.

I came to the conclusion today that Kolo is Mr. Footbag. I should find out when he first got into organized footbag and if it was early enough, I should or get and IFPA member to nominate him for the Hall of Fame. There can be no one else as dedicated to footbag and also such a perfect ambassador for the sport.

Andrew
Eskimo Joe

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 30 Jan 2007 18:40

Nice to see it was a so great session! Really sad I haven't managed to join Kolo and you so we could met :(

Anyway here's a few tips to help you oriented your game for now.

First I think you need to be able to do all basics tricks set from all surfaces. That means, legover, pick-up, mirage, butterfly and illusion set from both clipper and both toe. For the same side toe set legover, illusion, mirage or pick-up you just plant before dex, so it's like ATW but with plant before. You can start learning pixie and stepping too. I guess they already told you that. Anyway good to see it was so fun. I hope you'll came back soon to montreal so we really can have a shred this time!

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 16 Feb 2007 12:11

I haven't written in here for quite a while.

I had an hour and half (at least) session last night, and it kicked some ass.
I only did a few drills b/c it was getting boring, but I did notice that I am very comfortable doing the basics now. Also I am getting more and more contacts per run. I used to get about 6-15 contacts and drop it, now I am able to relax and get about 20 or 30 contacts of the basics. But after about 20+ I start getting excited and forget to relax, and then drop it.

Also, I hit toe drifter! WHoo-hoo! I did not realize until two days ago that all a drifter was is a miraging clipper, and since I am comfortable with mirages, I knew I could do it. I tried from the toe, and missed the first try, second try I footed it, and third try BOOM. Toe drifter strong side! I was able to hit that about 6 or 7 out of ten. Flip side not so good, only about 3 or 4 out of ten. But I got it on the flip side.

I then tried normal drifters but could not get it. I footed it quite a few times, but it didn't stick. I was trying to clip, hop back with clip foot still in air, mirage then clip. I just looked at vids from hackrifice and noticed that I was attempting pdx drifter, and that I can foot it! HAHA! But the problem it is that I am not rotating enough to have my clipper support 45 degrees, it always ends up almost straight ahead and the clipper is not stable. Again, though, on hackrifice, the pdx drifter, his foot is strait forward when he lands it?? I am getting confused.

I am going to try normal drifters tonight and get at least 25 landed. But I am worried about timing and foot placement after the set.

I keep trying to set like you do for infinities or clipper to clipper, which is clipper set, hop back, keep clipper set inair, then put it down as I attempt the opposite clipper.

How do you do it for drifters? Set, put set foot down fast, and then mirage to clipper? I am going to try this way and will also make sure I land a few pdx drifters.

I was also extremely close to datw!! I need to get the timing down. AHHH!!!

After I get drifters out of my system, I really need to preactice sets. If anyone knows the best drills or dexercises to assist in developing datw, pixie and fairy I would be very grateful if you helped me out.

I really need to practice rakes, pixie, fairy, datw, and osis. Are there great dills for these out there? Please help, I want to keep having as much fun as I had yesterday.

Also stitching off and on. I am going to make a bag for Jorden Moir! Hope he likes it. I am making a 10-10 blur with 3 pinks for my girlfriend, who I just ordered lavers for. I am so excited. I also showed her how to stitch a while back and she has since made two 32s. I will post them soon.

Also a few bags ago, I stitched a few panels with my left hand so I could ensure bothsidedness. I guess you could say I stitched it BSTS. Both sides, twelve strings. HAHA!!

Please help me find drills.
Eskimo Joe

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 17 Feb 2007 16:30

The best way to learn set really is only to practice, but here's the best one I can think of now :

pixie legover > pixie legover > rpt As long as you can do 5 or 6 easily
Magellan > legover > rpt

And BIG props for drifter, these are hard!

You probably should learn stepping before fairy, fairy is a hard set!

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 23 Feb 2007 11:53

So I played for about an hour and a half last night. Really tough though. I have a chest injury, I think I cracked a rib. So I got tired too easily and then I was in pain every time I landed. But I kept at it.

Highlights:
10+legover>legover>rpt
10+pickup>pickup>rpt
Illusions left and right
Almost got illusion with set foot legover (name?)
pdx drifter
drifter

Spent alot of time on my left clippers. It is so weird, I can left butterfly on command, but it takes more effort for me to land a left clipper.

Also weird, I have a WAY easier time attempting pdx drifter as opposed to regular drifter. With regular drifter, it feels like I am miraging too early, and that I should be using my other leg for the dex, but then it also feels like I am not landing sideways enough. AHHHHH!!! I want to own drifters so bad and also pixie. Soon enough.

Also still trying to grasp the way to pixie properly. I have tried pointing my toe down after teh set, but I am taking too long from release to dex, so when I plant my leg, the bag is beyond it's peak and is falling.

I hate that I have nothing new to post, but oh well.

Modded my shoes too. Took out the canvas from the toe and the inside surface. Fells so awesome. Not a single nick on the mesh either, and I did it without saoking them in hot water first too.

Also found a dexercise machine that I already owned! HAHAHA!! The stand for my casio keyboard has two parts to it, and the top comes off. It has a bar across from one support post to the other about 2 feet off teh ground. Anyway......it is perfect for dexercising. I hope that I can progress faster than I am now, and I also hope my chest stops hurting soon. Even a deep breath here and there hurts.

My next session, tonight, I will focus on left clipper, pixie, frigid osis and drifter. After I do my warm up dexersice, then go through all the basics (20 x l and r legover, pickup, toe, inside, outside, butter etc, I also included legover>mirage X20 and pickup>illusionx20 as basics)

This new regiment should result in an increase in my stamina and hopefully get me up to the next level of play. It feels like I have been at teh same level of play forever.
Eskimo Joe

MatS21
BSOS Beast

Post by MatS21 » 23 Feb 2007 12:06

Hey andrew, it seems like you don't see your own progress! Drifter is damn hard downtime component, the fact that you can do it now really shows your progress!

I think the name of the trick your looking for is eggbeater is that something like :

toe set opp illusion SS legover
but all in downtime?

don't worry about them for now. You should try DLO before because it is a miraging legover instead of illusioning legover. Your a lot better at mirage too. I'm sure you can hit near dlo. But eggbeater really is a nice trick!

Anyway, I understand the feeling you have, I sometimes have the same feeling and want to progress faster. Sometimes I feel like I'm plateaued but everytime I look at my game a month later I see that finally I have progressed, just didn't notice it.

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 26 Feb 2007 06:13

So had a few sessions over the weekend, nothing spectactular. I drilled the crap out of left clippers and was consistently getting at least 8/10, but from a hand release to clipper, back to hand.

Also drilled dlo and drifter. I now do not count the drifters I have been hitting b/c they are too sloppy and slide-y. The bag contacts my foot behind the support leg instead of beside it, which results in a weird wrap style drifter, which is not really a drifter. ARGH!! And came withing 2cm or less of dlo. I found it easier to think of it as a miraging legover. I will keep at it and will soon get dlo and drifter.

Also drilled a little frigid osis and pixie. Will get osis down soon, but pixie is still going to be a problem for a little while.

GOALS by Next Friday:

-dlo
-drifter
-pixie to....
Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 30 Mar 2007 12:43

Had my first full session in like a month today. Work is closed because of a blizzard. You should see it, nuts. I had to drive co-workers home and you couldn't see three feet infront of you. Talk about stress.

But it landed me at home and I got to shred and am about to finish off Jorden's bag and start Alejandro's. Started a bag for CC2 and cut another. 1 will be a very nice Northern surprise.

Drilled the bare basics vigorously.

20 ss tap toe delay L R (toe delay, tap the floor after set, catch same foot)
50 toe to toe
10 out L
10 inside L
20 inside R
10atw in LR
10atw out LR
20 LO to LO
20 PU to PU
10 mirage LR, after first mirage, set same side right away and dex again>rpt
10 illusion LR
10 ssclipper LR
10 Freeze clipper LR
10 toe>op butterfly LR

20 r inside>wrap>ss inside; 15 l inside>wrap> ss inside
clipper hold L 30 sec x 3; R 20sec x 2

Also did quite a few clipper>ss lo; and clipper>ss pu
far l.o. far p.u. at least ten then stopped counting
Eskimo Joe

sen
Post Master General

Post by sen » 03 Apr 2007 14:53

Hey Andrew, the bag I got from you is sick. I'm loving it. If I make it to world's and this bag is still alive, I'm gonna use it in competition.

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 15 May 2007 06:53

So, it has been forever since my last post.

I have been playing as much as I can lately. But it is still like -10 and -15C. No good indoor spot. But spent a few days out in the snow in shorts and a sweat band! And stitching a bit too.

all BS
pickup>illusion>rpt (5 contacts)
legover>mirage>rpt (8 contacts)
ss clipper X 10 (left only up to eight)
ss illusion X 5
pickup>osis
infinity X 6 (my best yet)
ssmirage x 7
pickup>pickup x 10
legover>legover x 10
ss atw in>out X 10
clipper>op clipper x 6
osis>op osis (but not repeat)
clip>far legover
clip>legover
clip>far pickup
clip>pickup
clip>ssmirage
hit a few sketchy drifters
damn close to dlo, pixie>op legover (pixie set not high or that clean)
pretty close to datw quite a few times too
also hit toe set ducking clipper, toe set ducking mirage
hit toe set > weaving clipper

learning stepping (hit it about 6-8 times, about 4 were clean and up to my belly button) (almost half way to my dream move, ripwalk)

had a few nice strings of 20+ contacts

still can't pixie

Getting shin splints a bit lately too.

Can't wait for Montreal. It gets boring pretty quick when shredding alone, esp when you are not that good yet. I get stuck trying the same moves over and over and forget to try new things. Seeing people in person should be inspiring.

I have been using alot of bags too, TobyX2, Haina mini + reg, Brinard mini, Julien's, Johnl583 14P, FEARLESS 55 and one of mine.

john's 14 panel is the shit! The weight on it kicks ass and the size is perfect. I can't wait to try out the Streetfighters.

I hope we get above zero sometime soon. The sun kind of gets me going, when mixed with the right amount of Redbull!
Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 12 Jun 2007 07:15

Ahhh man. The Montreal Jam was killer! I had a great time meeting all kinds of new people. Everyone was sooo nice and some even put up with me until the wee hours of the morning. But it was fun. It was also very intimidating meeting all these world class baggers butthey were all very friendly.

Thank you to the following for being welcoming and helpful:

-Julien> finally met him! Cool as hell and so was his girlfriend

-Skippy > taught me symple legover and symple toe to toe (bs'd toe to toe in a few tries) and I have since bsos'd symple legover!

-Tom > very nice, helpful and complemented my bags!

-Pengpeng > very welcoming, very nice, helped me think about bags deeper and said my bags are pretty and so round

-James McCollough (sp?) > confirmed that I can osis! And helped me think about this move in a different way. Also he was very helpful with thinking about individual moves one at a time. Brought some patience to my game>he also won a bag of mine and was really excited!

-Matt Cross > sold me #77, which I will post soon, helped me with cleaning up illusions and commented when my form (legovers and pickups) was good. I also almost hit datw in front of him and he said all I needed was to set the bag alittle closer to me. I will hit this soon

-Marc Girard > very friendly and was excited to meet me

-Will Digges > super nice guy and what a show to watch. He got into Foufs!

-Paul > super cool dude, gave me a ride to Nicks and we hung out for quite a while. He knows some crazy yo-yo stuff too.

-Jorden Moir > sold me a DVD and was stoked about the bag I made him. I can't wait to meet you again

-All of the T.O. crew were very nice and helpful.

-Everyone else I met was awesome too, just too many to name.

And I can't forget the Montreal crew and the people who helped Kolo out.

Thank you all so much for the tips and for making it feel like my second home. I will make sure I contact you guys the next time I get down there.

As for play, I have had a few solo sessions since this jam and feel like I am improving at a steady rate.

Highlights as of late:
BSOS symple legover
BSOS osii
all of the basics are getting burned into my muscles and head and feels alot more natural.

Came soo f'n close to DLO and DATW countless times now. ARRRGGGGGHHHHH!!! But will hit them very soon. I am also starting to work harder on pixie sets, stepping sets and drifter.

The problem here is that the weather is still between -5 C up to a whopping +6 C with rain, snow, fog and a little sun here and there.

Well I hope I updat ethis more often, which would mean that I would be improving! So take care Modified, and to all those I met, thank you again. This sport is the best.

Andrew
Eskimo Joe

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 13 Jun 2007 05:07

Had a pretty decent session with my buddy Scottie last night.

I drilled alot of legovers, pickups, mirages, illusion, clippers, butterflies, osii, atw, datw (still never hit it), DLO (still never hit that either). And get this, I almost nailed paradox mirage first try, so my buddy started to try, and I watched him for a about 5 mins until he hit it! YEAH! I tried immediately after him and nailed it! Then a tried flip side, almost got it, and watched my buddy try. He got it in about 5-10min! Then I tried it after and got it in about 5-10 min! HAHA!! SO yesterday I hit paradox mirage both sides!

After a few mins thinking about it, I tried to BSOS pdxmirage like this:
toe>opp butter>pdx mirage>opp butter>pdx mirage (droped on last contact).

Can't wait for tonight. I will BSOS that shit and am determined to hit DATW and dlo. I amost got dlo when I thought of it as two moves, mirage to opp legover, but it felt slow. I am thinking that I will soon try to hit mirage>opp pickup. DOes this have a name? If anyone ever reads this, please let me know.

With the osii, practiced alot of frigid bs, and got one link osis > osis. But I hit about 10-15 frigid bs.

Andrew
Eskimo Joe

janis
Post Master General

Post by janis » 13 Jun 2007 05:27

Good stuff :D
props on the pdx mirages.
Which direction do you try DATW? Please tell me how datw goes, it's one of my favourite moves.

Eskimo Joe wrote:I amost got dlo when I thought of it as two moves, mirage to opp legover, but it felt slow.
this is a good approach but think of it as a mirage to op symple legover that should make it quick enough. And practice symple legovers, they make many moves easier.
mirage>opp pickup
I think this is called curve, in any case me and Jamie did some on the st Kilda part 2 video:
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=15523

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 13 Jun 2007 07:00

Thank you Janis for the props and the comments. I am still downloading your videos. But from what I read in the thread, it should be pretty cool.

I have been attempting DATW with my right foot going from in to out. So close yet so far. Soon enough. About DLO, I just learned symple legover in Montreal! THis is awesome. A move I just learned and am getting better and better at will help with DLO. I love it.
Eskimo Joe