Stanford Crew Blog - The God Tier of Footbag Clubs

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Re: Stanford Crew Blog - The God Tier of Footbag Clubs

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 07 Nov 2013 18:29

Hah! I didn't even know about this blog. I always thought we should have one of these things and we do! We really are the best club ever :lol: :wink: :?
Alex Dworetzky
Member of the Stanford University Footbag Club (SUFC)

Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 07 Nov 2013 18:31

Oh, I do remember this now. Eric started it all those years ago and I forgot
Alex Dworetzky

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 Nov 2013 09:48

Sooooo... since this thing exists now... post some highlights ;)
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 08 Nov 2013 15:28

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXdYFldzaDs[/youtube]

part 2 from that 2011 summer session. Adrian Dick from NZ or Australia (can't remember) was visiting. There are 5 parts total, i like the music on part 5.

my ankle is finally feeling semi normal, still can't crank with it though. stupid torn ligaments and split tendon thingy
Alex Dworetzky

Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 08 Nov 2013 15:31

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMhdB8A0j04[/youtube]

"Back up in yo with a resurrection!"
Alex Dworetzky

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 09 Nov 2013 11:03

Yeah Alex! Representing. Those steps were fire fire.
I took over this blog for a while, glad to see you on here.

I'm gonna start filming frequently since I got Steve's old ipad, so keep yo eyes on dis here bloggo.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags
or on occasion (also for fabrics) thru modified

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 13 Nov 2013 17:39

i guess any filming i do will be saved for the calendar :)

my knee is kinda f'ed up right now, but nothing too serious. a lingering pain in the back of the knee which i believe is being caused by lack of sink, knee bend.
its been an off and on pain for a long time, but some days it is literally not there at all. back to x-training i suppose :)

reminders: footbag: learn pixie and fairy on my flip side.
other
eat healthy, less sugar.
ride my bike and stretch more.
destroy dustin if he doesn't come to shred this saturday.

i have been playing with dave 2-3x a week power hours all the way. i haven't gotten much better at footbag in a while, but i am not concerned. if i ever forced myself to play solo/train i think i would get better, would rather spend my time getting stronger all around right now.

oh yeah, day 4 of no tobacco sprinkles on my weed bowls after like 5 years of that shit. sweating like a madman when i shred i think all the toxins are tryin to get out!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 13 Nov 2013 23:31

Last night, I dreamt that I was in the San Carlos Safeway parking lot, and Alex Dworetzky was throwing 5"x8" cards into a big construction garbage bin. I joined in, and he clearly was better than me, in every way. We decided to walk back to Steve's, and while going up the hill, Mr. Bear was surfing down the hill while walking a camouflage coloured dog. I must admit, he looked like he was having the time of his life. Once at the top, Steve was getting out of his new car, in shred clothing, really excited that he just bought new socks that would let Alex play.

Also, Bear, a Calendar video would be appreciated. :)
Jay Boychuk

Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 15 Nov 2013 14:23

i am incredibly good at throwing 5"x8" cards into construction bins :)
Alex Dworetzky

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 15 Nov 2013 22:18

YES jay. what a great dream. there are not many times when i am not having the time of my life, but that sounds very exciting.
Stanford will make a christmas video, maybe alex and i will work on it together as that has never happened.

Tomorrow should be a grand day: steve prepared dough on wednesday for the pizza which is the prime incubation period, derek is coming from woodland, dustin is coming for his first session in a month or so, alex is looking better and feeling better with an appropriately cautious approach, and I confirmed that a lack of knee bend on my flip side has been the (main) cause for off and on knee pain. no dave but thats ok i have been shreddin a ton with him, which can be slightly demoralizing.
Leroy is so fucking fat i can't believe it.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 04 Dec 2013 13:36

I am feeling pretty healthy lately, so I might actually start drilling for like, the first time ever.
If any of you know me, you know I never drill. I believe this is because I do not play by myself EVER. Why don't I play by myself, you might ask? Monday nights shred with dave, tuesdays at stanford, thursdays at steves, saturdays at steves, and between weds, fri, and sun me and dave have 2 sessions. That leaves ONE day a week where I am not playing with others, I guess I should change that from a rest day to a drill day.
I am getting older (27!?!), and would like to see how good I can get before my body can't handle every day/ while I am not employed.
So many times I have said I would drill but it just doesn't happen lol. 2014, be prepared.

Stanford Club is booming lately.

The core of the club includes myself, Alex, and Steve.
The past two tuesdays have been off the hook, with 6-7 people each time!!! Myself, Alex, Steve, Katya, Cona, Marc, and Andrew.
And then we have Derek about every other Saturday, dave on an occasional thursday/saturday. And Dustin on a rare saturday.
Cona is a great new addition to the club. He has been kickin for a long time and is very interested in expanding his game. He understands all the advice we give him, we just need to make that magic hop happen automatically.
Playin solo sessions with dave 2-3x a week.

Workin on a new remix of the christmas calendar song and getting my clips organized. stanford day is gonna be off tha hook!
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 11 Jan 2014 00:58

Been a slacker in the new year. Dave and I need to get back on our power hours.

I will be leaving in less then a month for South Lake Tahoe for a couple of months or as long as I can afford food I guess :)
People can help me out by buying bags once I get back on the stitching train :) I won't be making 32 panels anymore unless asked, as I now firmly believe they aren't and have never been necessary. Such tiny little bags only need 8 or 14 panels. in fact, most of the stanford xmas video is with a glorious 14 panel that dave loves. Trust the doctor of bags, just a wee more bite and gather keeps em round and stally.

Anyways, if any other shredders want to cruise out to SLT while I am there it's cool. 6 beds and 2 futons, might even hold a jammer late february if people are interested. It is a pretty central spot for west coast baggers me thinks. High altitude training for worlds. If you snowboard or ski it is prime time.

drill to get on film. vortex - double spinning osis - rpt. (i have hit twice)
drills to work on. mobius - marius - rpt. and void - marius - rpt. (i have hit combos on both sides)
simple flip side things to work on: *** pixie, double downs, eggbeaters, grifters.

peace to the footbag world.
Last edited by brianbear on 12 Jan 2014 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 11 Jan 2014 06:18

Woah, that sounds like an interesting trip. Best of luck, Bear. Wish I could take you up on the offer. Will you have an internet connection?

Thanks for intending to film that. Those type of things need to be on film :)

I also think that you are onto something with the 14 panels. Perhaps I'll stitch my first one because of you. Thanks for writing.
Jay Boychuk

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 15 Jan 2014 11:44

thanks for readin' jay :)

I designed a funny 14 panel last night, but am not going to stick with it. it was too much work really, and although i think the bag will be good (maybe awesome) normal 14's are just fine.

The cabin does have internet, so i won't be completely gone to the world.
It will be the longest streak of missed stanford sessions for me which is kind of sad :(

Dave and I played again on monday night, yesterday was me steve alex and kona.
Hoping to play tonight with dave, and thursday shreds might be over for a bit cause alex is back in school! props to him for that.

I already have an interested homieee to join me in tahoe, mister derek.

reminder to me: engage yo arms.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 Jan 2014 09:55

Absolutely agree with you on the 14 panels. That's all I've been making recently. Can't wait to see your next video. Those drills are phat. Props on hitting a few of those.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 26 Jan 2014 14:55

thanks nick, yeah 14 panels are the best!

footbag medal rant:
I will never be a part of the medal thing, because I desire no reward for the tricks i do other than my own feeling of accomplishment.
I also think it may lead to a few people misrepresenting their level of play. You can try for hours and hours on the same drill to achieve these,
and hit it once on film and never be able to do it again. this is clearly not the goal, but i can see few people doing this.
If anything, this would be a good in person challenge. 1 try, and you are assigned your level. whether it is nothing or gold.

tahoe is getting pushed back to the 15th or so, gotta house/dog sit for my sister before i peace out.

alex and i went to cona's bday party in da city on friday night. ridonkulous. alex djed, there were live artists painting walls, some good drugs, and some fine chicas. i can see why i used to be a party animal, lol. also felt like shit on saturday though, maybe that is why i party less/not at all anymore!

steve is searching for a new kitty, can't wait til he gets it! we have been watching my cat from hell to prepare properly.

that is all, be good footbaggers.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags

brianbear
Egyptian Footgod

Post by brianbear » 26 Jan 2014 14:57

thanks nick, yeah 14 panels are the best!

footbag medal rant:
I will never be a part of the medal thing, because I desire no reward for the tricks i do other than my own feeling of accomplishment.
I also think it may lead to a few people misrepresenting their level of play. You can try for hours and hours on the same drill to achieve these,
and hit it once on film and never be able to do it again. this is clearly not the goal, but i can see few people doing this.
If anything, this would be a good in person challenge. 1 try, and you are assigned your level. whether it is nothing or gold.

tahoe is getting pushed back to the 15th or so, gotta house/dog sit for my sister before i peace out.

alex and i went to cona's bday party in da city on friday night. ridonkulous. alex djed, there were live artists painting walls, some good drugs, and some fine chicas. i can see why i used to be a party animal, lol. also felt like shit on saturday though, maybe that is why i party less/not at all anymore!

steve is searching for a new kitty, can't wait til he gets it! we have been watching my cat from hell to prepare properly.

that is all, be good footbaggers.
brian "bear" sherrill
buy my footbags
via freedom footbags