Stanford Crew Blog - The God Tier of Footbag Clubs

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 15 Apr 2008 11:45

Um, I am in Green Bay, WI visiting family :) But you could give Babrams a call or something :)
Look a BLOG! That I never update
http://modified.in/footbag/viewtopic.php?t=16244

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 01 Jun 2008 02:52

Keep having to keep this thing alive!

Anyways here are some of the things that happened at th Green Cup! I am going to do this with Moxie! (or Moxie Style!)

David Clavens:
-Peter was being a tough customer with David Clavens and asking him various tricks to do. I suggested "your mom" while they were barefoot, and David said it was easy barefoot (except for the hard landing part). Peter didn't think "Your Mom" was easy on barefoot, and David said it was. There was a short pause and David replied "You little girl you think I can't hit it!" and promptly did it!
-David is breath taking as a player, and it was an honor to kick with him of course

The Chaos Green Cup Nutshell:
-The Green Cup was the first time I came there with a purpose to film. But I didn't do as much filming and different shots as I would have liked.
-Next time I plan on asking people if I can film, I kind of just started filming and sticking the camera where ever I pleased. But the players were very nice about it and none of them seemed to mind.
-Editing the footage I feel that the clips are beyond bad, its like a video with music and shred footage slopped together and kind of to the music. Its really a joke in my personal point of view.
-I didn't get to kick as much as I'd like since I was busy filming but when I did I felt I did decent despite being the worst of the Stanford Crew.
-My routine came together the day before -.- stupid me, and I didn't keep up with footbagging so my endurance was shit. The semi-finals was great landing me third place, despite some people thinking I shouldn't have placed so high. Of course the ending was my favorite part! I felt the trick hit and suddenly crashing onto the ground, I think I tried to put my hands out but realized not the best thing to do and fell on my side. Of course I got up and gave a good bow, nothing to be embarrassed about and it was a good laugh. By the way the last trick was going to be a Ducking Osis > walk-over
-It was nice to see Red, and Nick again since worlds!
-Got to see Cale and Eoghan since San Diego talked with them briefly, I was glad I was able to help Cale out with his missing footbag :)
-Final Routines sucked beyond bad for me, I dropped the whole intro and then some, and it was just pathetic. Those speaks a lot for my game :)

-During the stay at Steve's I managed to finally hit sidewalk bsos and was able to show Dave that I wasn't that bad(not that he said I was) But I just felt like I had to prove something, or I dunno self esteem issues (especially being the worse of the group)I suppose, especially around amazing players such as Dave.

Selfish stuff
Really frustrated with my game, its shitty for someone who has been at this for some two and a half years and I'm not guiltless yet. My right knee is being plagued with problems as I keep trying to fix my landings. Stepping has been a bitch, whirls, you name it not one trick has come easily and I quickly descended the ladder of sucking. Out of all the intermediate players of Chaos and Worlds its easy to see I am the bottom of the pool. My runs lack anything interesting, and lack endurance. I have yet to hit a five add trick, on top of that my flip clipper has just finally come together. It just feels like it wouldn't mattered if I did this footbag thing for an hour a day to eight hour a day, my game would simply still be worse than everyone else's. Everyone just keeps getting leap and bounds over me and I just can't seem to find my footing so to speak. Also why I haven't asked Steve to help me with my routine, since I just don't feel worthy/good enough for him to waste time on me. I already feel like quitting again.

Though Abram keeps telling me I am not bad, but if he wasn't one of my close friends, and met me in person. I know he wouldn't be saying the same thing. Then of course you get the friend who knows nothing of the sport saying I'm amazing and thats just not helpful since anyone who knows the sport well yeah I've already said it a hundred times. But they would know my game is just a joke.

I don't know maybe its the whole depression thing, or the fact that I'm in a semi-insomnia induced state so my emotions are some what high.

My totally massive two year trick category.

A list of my tricks both sided that I can hit consistently
Clipper
Butterfly
Mirage
SS Mirage
Pdx Mirage
Osis
Leg-Over
Pick-Up
Walk-Over
Step-Over

Both sided semi-consistent
Toe Whirl
Whirl
PS Mirage
Hop Over
Flying Clipper
Dragonfly
Illusion
Pdx. Illusion

One sided consistent:
Double Leg Over
Eggbeater
Bubbabeater
Ducking Clipper/Butterfly/Osis
Diving Clipper
Weaving Clipper
Ripwalk
Sidewalk
Blur
Smp. Whirl
Barrage

Yeah really amazing isn't it

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 01 Jun 2008 11:46

:-)
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 02 Jun 2008 15:09

Eric,

Thanks for keeping this thread going, i had forgotten it was here. I'm sorry to hear that you feel like you're not improving, but remember that you will improve if you practice lots. I also feel like you have improved a lot since you've been back in the bay. On a side note, you're not the worst in the club, steve, mark, and andrew are definitly worse. I do feel like you shouldn't look at who's better or who's worse, just have fun. If footbag weren't fun, I don't think anyone would play it.

fun=happy, not fun=sad

Green Cup for me was fun, I enjoyed everyone who came. Dave, Lon, and Nick were prodigious. I thought it was really cool we had a women's competition. Cale's foot disgusted me, but his bags did not. Shredding with oxana on tuesday and friday was awesome.

alex```~~~```
Alex Dworetzky
Member of the Stanford University Footbag Club (SUFC)

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 02 Jun 2008 22:27

Managed to hit flip Ripwalk some four times in a row, problem is after I took a break I couldn't do it for the life of me. Probably the most frustrating thing about foobag :evil: As a fun trick and for shits I tried Stepping Bubbabeater? Lets just say need a different stepping set and faster legs. 8)

Been working on my routine a shit load, at least 10 time per solo session and managed to consistently get to 50seconds dropless. Hopefully working my endurance will do better, and I need to figure out what to do. I might drop a risky trick to push it even further. To be honest I want to go one to two drop is possible, and a really high goal dropless and consistently.

Looking forward to another Stanford Session, and it will be my last til I come back. Looking to catch some more pointers on Spinning and Drifters before going. Also I think its time I tried some double dexes, as I think I should be there by now.

Cheers,

calemccoy
Flower Child

Post by calemccoy » 02 Jun 2008 22:46

hey man, it sounds like your routine is doing good. progress!!!!!

50 seconds is a long time, great job! ill be excited to see the difference at u.s. open :D

honestly however, your tiltless game could use alot more work before moving to double dexes. so go for 50 tiltless before you try sets, double downs, etc. look at the list you made above... make all the onesided tricks bothsided before you try a new trick. dnt feel like you should be doing something based on the time you have been playing... everyone's game is different, and will progress at a different rate.

try stepping bubba and bubba beater before combining them =]

thank you so much for chasing down my hania bag... i wont forget.

see you all soon.
my footblog
bombbags for sale
-cale mccoy-
RVFA footbag

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 04 Jun 2008 21:05

Today I went to some asian place with my Russian friend Alexei (I generally don't eat asian food :-p) I was also waiting for a friend to get dropped off there for us to hang out, and he said there were some guys footbagging, or rather hacky sacking.

My eye lite up, I always enjoy a good circle kick to be honest. So I asked if I could join and well it was relaxing to just kick and not worry about "the" pdx illusions or my form and just have fun. We did some flying clippers, and simple shit like that.

-Thanks Cale, hey its no big deal to grab your bag really. Your foot was hurt and it wasn't like it was some huge hike. But just remember you owe me your first born now. Also thanks for the advice, I even setup a challenge me post, and have been working at endurance and a longer tiltless game.

Cheers

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 06 Jun 2008 01:33

Zohan wasn't as good as I hoped, well its a funny movie. But they cut out ALOT of the footbag or "hackysack" in the movie. Though don't worry I kept saying footbag everytime they said "hackysack"

Though I can say for sure
Ryan M., Red, P.T., A. German (forgot how to spell his name) are for sure in there. Not to mention Steve in the background dancing!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO STEVE REP.

But really there was a scene where Red just clothe lines a streaker, and among other things all gone. The reason why it was cut out probably because of"pacing" and cutting the movie short. Really a shame since its what I went to the movie for. So go at your own risk, its a funny movie just don't go expecting a lot of footbagging. To be honest I'd say about less than a minute of footbagging....

Cheers

peterh
Hack Fiend

Post by peterh » 06 Jun 2008 18:40

That sucks about Zohan, Chang, I was hoping for more hackybaeg.

Just had an awesome session.
-8 contacts of Rubberman (woohoo!) :)
-Stepping ss clipper>stepping clipper>rpt.>ripwalk>sidewalk>rpt.>stepping ss whirl>string.
-PS whirl bsos (I did it at green cup, but it felt more controlled this time)
-Spinning Clipper x 5 bsos
-Spinning ducking clipper>ducking clipper>rpt.
-Smoke bsos
-Some nice overall runs.

Oh I hit whirling swirl bsos yesterday, that felt really good. I'm looking forward to club tomorrow.
Peter Holoien
SUFC

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 11 Jun 2008 02:04

Yesterday sucked hardcore pretty much.

I ended up losing the Clavens bag I bought and the Erik Chan footbag I had bought and got only a day ago. I had though I put them both in my backpack but as it turned out I didn't. Also I had the moronic notion that they'd still be there., so wasted gas trying to see if they were still there.

Would put more here but totally sick of this shit. (plus this so called top of the line Mac has trouble with loading gmails and likes to freak out in forums)

Highlights:

Bubbabeater > Eggbeater > Double Legover > Toe Whirl >Paradox MIrirage > Toe Whirl (same fucking thing I always do though)

Clipper > Stepover(that the right one?) > Osis > Stepover > Same Side Whirl

24 contact Tiltless strings (with bops and other stuff)

10 Diving Clippers

la-di-fuckingda

Moxie
Taphophile

Post by Moxie » 16 Jul 2008 10:27

I don't know if you guys check this thing anymore but Fletch, Adrienne and I will be there this Saturday. You had better show up to greet us with a smile.

:o
"I contend we are both atheists, I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."

Emily Kulczyk

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 16 Jul 2008 10:40

Dukes told me about you guys coming down to Steve's. I do check this and was about to blog in this wonderful bloggy blogity blog! So stay tuneded.

professor
Post Master General

Post by professor » 16 Jul 2008 10:53

Thanks for the voicemail guys. It seriously made my day!
Ben Skaggs

Amateurs practice until they can get it right.
Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong.

No, I don't play soccer. Yes, there are competitions. 4 years. Lots of practice.

Iron Clad Ben
Superior Precision Bionics

Post by Iron Clad Ben » 05 Aug 2008 13:26

What up guys.

I'll be in Santa Clara 8/19 - 8/21 for work (I'll have a rental car). Trying to set my schedule to incorporate work stuff, meeting up with old friends and of course FOOTBAG. Hopefully I'll be able to make the regular Tuesday Stanford session, but if not I still want to play at some point (especially since I'll be missing my normal Austin Wed night session).

hit me up ironcladben at footbag

See you in a couple weeks

Ben

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 02 Sep 2008 04:15

Worlds 2008 Write Up (Because its 4:55am and I can't sleep)

As it turns out I survived Worlds 2008, well maybe not mentally. There some good moments during Worlds but a lot of bad ones to be honest.

Good Stuff: (no order)

-Steve's MTV Cribs. (when we first arrived it was during an Iron Maiden concert) Go figure.
Steve managed to get us some awesome four star rooms for about fifty bucks a day. We had internet, tv, a/c, our own bathroom, two beds and pretty kick ass view. Not to mention there was a McDonalds (that we went to more than we should have) and a Tesco (think Sams Club or Costco) really close by. What was cool was the first day Ales was waiting for us and it was nice to meet him. He's a really happy go lucky guy and passionate about footbag. He gave us tips, and pointed out things that we failed to notice (or never voice) as a group. Not to mention he showed us how to make Double Leg Overs and Eggbeaters much smoother.

So anyways Steve stocked up on coke zeros coke, and diet coke (with red bull and various other things time to time) and we usually chilled at the end of each night just talking. Honza and his girlfrield Klara was there too, and it was nice to see and hang out with Honza again. I guess he comes off as not the nicest person in the world, but he really is and its always a blast to chill with him.

The first day we managed to find a nice shred spot near the Tesco in a well lite area and I regret filming (with Ales). There were a few drunk/high guys hanging around and kept complimenting us in Czech.We also had a shred session with Ales in the room, and then did improv routines as a joke, which failed and turned into more shred.

-First night out - shots + cocktail
Well I think it was either the first night out or second night out I went out and bought a shot, and a cocktail. Just to say that I did. But regardless I still can't stand the taste of alcohol. Yes about the shot, we all managed to mess up the order in which we took the tequila shot (which tasted good apparently. Basically any order of salt, lime, then shot was done. Some limed, salt, then drank, some drank limed, then salt, and I think I salted limed and drank. Amusing and worth it to say the least.

-Meeting Erik Chan... or Ken... or Eric... Chang? Wait its Lew... no musst have been Takumi....
I met Erik once before at Worlds 2007, but never really kicked or talked to him. I managed to say hello, and confuse him with different Asian footbagers each time I saw him (but I gave up). I constantly had to try to make my way into her circle if there was room and was fun to have kicked with him for sure. Just kind of wished I talked and hung out with him a little bit more, seems like a cool guy. Too bad we never did doubles though :) (every pester him)

-Goat Sucker.
So Honza told us that there was NEW footage of the Chupacabra, and had to show us on the computer since we wanted to dispute it. It was interesting because Ales had never heard of the Chupacabra. When he found out the name meant something like Goat Sucker, it instantly became one of his favorite animals up there with the alligator. He went off on a tangent about the Goat Sucker, sucking on you :) (yes in that dirty way, you know what I'm hitting to) and would make this sucking noise. Then in Czech randomly he went on this huuuuge tangent about the goat sucker and how you'd wake up and hear this sucking noise apparrently.

People who thought it was real:
Honza W

People who thought it was fake:
Myself (Eric)
Steve G
Ianek R
Mathieu G

People who were there and didn't really dispute:
Ales Z
Klara (?)

Added: 09/03/2008

-Justin Dale
It was awesome to see Justin Dale again! The thing was that we walked him at the reception and no one really said anything. Until I think Honza or Ales was like "Hey we just walked past Justin, and didn't say anything" I quickly ran down the flights of stairs (we were four flights) and sat down to chill with him as we watch Team USA trounce China in basketball. After that we chilled and a few other people came down. It was really fun to hang out with Justin such a chill guy, and we (Justin, Alex, and myself) ended up talking with a receptionist (who was cute) at like one in the morning. We did kind of plan to go to Amsterdam, but I think it was best that we didn't with some random Slovakian girl. For some reason I think I would have woken up with two missing kidneys and bad things would have happened to me. :) Justin also bought Alex Dworetzky a kick ass gift for his birthday, and managed to get my friend Abram piss ass drunk. Basically Abram was throwing up from weed vodka (basically I think there were seeds in the vodka, and then a bottle of abstineth (typo). The poor guy was throwing up hardcore and I was pissed at first because he was keeping me up. BUT then he woke up again and started to dry heave, then I felt bad. Since dry heaves are the worst and its like WHYYYY WHYYYY There is nothing left in my stomach!!!!!!

-A Proud Moment
Over in Ken's blog he fell down roughly five flights of stairs, well I was not there for the whole thing, I did see him lying on the bench hurt. Then back at Steve's crib, we saw him walk in limping with McDonalds, and he chilled with Honza and the Stanford Crew. Turns out Ken was going to stay with Justin (since he really should not have been walking that much) and Justin was in the room next to myself and Abrams. We chatted a bit and a secret that never really got out besides people who should have known, and just cool people. That if Ken wasn't up to par to kick, that he would warm up on the side. Then he would walk into the tent and switch shirts with me. Following that after Dexter or Steve announced "Ken Somolinos from the United States" I would come out. Yes it would have been epic I would have started the first ten seconds of the routine and go from there!

At first we don't think anyone would notice until they realized that this wasn't Ken doing the routine :). I planned on towards the end doing teh whirrs and just the strings and trying to end with Super Nemesis. BUT! Ken was feeling up to it and he went out to do the routine. At first everything looked alright, until you could see when he did flip stepping it was painful. Then from that moment, it was as if he was going to stop or continue and then BAM right into it. You could tell he was changing the routine (DUH he was hurt). But really I told him that it made my eyes water up a bit, to see him just plow through the routine despite the pain. I plan to upload it, if Ken lets me, really its something you need to see. THE last trick was hit and I went wild.

Same goes for either Michal Ostrowski or Tomasz Ostrowski I remember when he did a symposium move or something hard that his left leg was hurting. You could see his fist clenched and shaking from the pain and he just kept playing through his routine and finished. Just very epic, though in both cases I would have preferred them not hurt, but it just shows the dedication from a lot of players.

-Ken S. forms B.A.P. Ken Deny it Again Somlinos (I like to call him that as a joke) forms T.C.P.
Alex, Peter, Ken, and Jeff kept walking into Steve's room randomly and three out of four of them would touch the window and then leap frog it back to their room (which was next to Steve's room) and this kept happening. WELL as it turns out they were playing the game "Triple Cup"

Basically its three cups and a ashtray, and you have to toss two starbust bags and a mr. sandbag into the cups. Two footbags in is "balls back" meaning you get to toss it back in. The leap frogging would be done if the footbag got stuck on the edge. Well as it turns out this happened more often than not.

Then finally everyone got good enough to get triple cup. Ken was the first to get triple cup thus forming the Triple.Cup.Posse. Peter entered by getting triangle(I will post pictures to have this story make more sense. I forget how Jeff and Alex entered into T.C.P. but I was going to in big. My move was going to be a one handed triple footbag toss (rather than one at a time). I tried and tired, until I got a one handed toss and double leap frog. (Will post pictures). But it was so amazing we all went wild and I got hugs from everyone, being the last member to make it into T.C.P. I want to make shirts for the T.C.P. :) and we can induct people and make this a badass event. (by the way I named the one handed triple cup toss Super Nemesis :)

-The Epic Fight that Didn't Happen
So we're about to sleep and then Jeff Mudd comes stomping in all loud and was like " what the fuck does he want I want to sleep " he goes "DUDE Milan is about to get in this epic fight" Of course we did not believe him but he looked out the window and saw Milan waving a bottle with two of he friends standing in front of him and another telling some guy to go (he was pointing the other direction). We all said "we're in" Jeff, Alex, Abram, and myself BOOOK it down the four flights of stairs in less than thirty seconds and sprinted down the stairs. We got there and the guys begins to leave and we were wondering what happened (along with about twelve more other footbaggers coming from the closing ceremony party. It turns out I think Max Kerkoff (typo?) was hit and the guy hit someone else too. Ok I guess its not as epic as it sounded, but for some reason at that moment it was one of the most badass things to happen. Really sorry to hear about Max, and the other footbagger getting hit, but glad they were ok (at least I think they are). Damn, typing it out and it being almost two weeks later, makes this story dull now :(.
Last edited by Eric Chang on 03 Sep 2008 19:34, edited 2 times in total.

Alex Dworetzky
Shredaholic

Post by Alex Dworetzky » 03 Sep 2008 16:40

lol, keep it up coming eric, it's fun to remember all those awesome worlds moments. glaebenfig!!
Alex Dworetzky
Member of the Stanford University Footbag Club (SUFC)

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 03 Sep 2008 19:40

bump more added, and you should be able to tell where :)

More to be added later, don't feel like wasting a whole night to type everything up.

Eric Chang
Fearless

Post by Eric Chang » 06 Sep 2008 20:50

Saturday Session Update - September 06, 2008

Today was a mess for me. I was up the whole day for some odd reason and only managed to get two hours in a span of some 36+ hours. No good for me, so needless to say the session was rather hard for me.

Me (Eric C.) - I guess trying new concepts, and the fact that flip Ripwalk is coming together. Maybe because I was so tired I wasn't thinking about to do. I just need to clean it up and get stronger before I can do Ripwalk repeat on command (big goal for me). Also I'm going to start working flipside toe moves a lot sooner. There was some pain in the knee, but I didn't play that much so it really isn't bothering me.

Brian Bear- Man he's gotten so much better, and yes he can hit Pendulum. Which makes him better than Vasek :-p (We had asked Vasek to his flip Pendulum, and he shook his head and waved his hand saying "No no no too hawd") So Bear could at least give Vasek and H in H-O-R-S-E maybe beat him so long he didn't drop :) Then GAME OVER MAN. Also hit torque within a span of five minutes (after he passed it around the circle). So we're expecting him to hit a NEW trick. (Also he was really proud that Jorden liked his style). I want to call it Bear's Tail, not to mention there are so many tricks he is hitting never been hit (can't talk about them now) and call them like Bear 1, Bear 2, Bear 3 or something simple :-p

Peter H.- Short session, he was tired also but what strings he had were epic. He is showing why he's a force to be reckoned with in the Stanford Footbag club.

Jeff M.- Hit BS Blur > Toe Symposium Whirl then BS Blur > Toe Blender. He started to Hit Blenders out of no where very nice.

Alex D.- Nothing that grand, but he made his Torques look smoother and nicer. Take that back he also hit flip barfly cleanly ( I think ) and a good Magellan on his flipside that looked strong (I thought it was his strong side)

Pizza Stuff
Steve made two pizza's today, this was the better of the two. He figured out how to make the dough better, and the crust taste more epic.

Also this was Steve's plate, but if Jay were here we'd give him the plate, so here is to you Jay!

jay7
Flower Child

Post by jay7 » 07 Sep 2008 17:28

After looking at that picture, much like when you post something important on modified and check it every few minutes for any response, I actually DID have a dream about that plate of pizza yesterday.

I have forgotten most of the stuff that "made sense" during the dream, but I was at one of the after-parties at Prague and for some reason everytime I finished waiting in line for the Goldberg Pizza the bartender-ess kept insisting that they were busy making more, and that I would have to wait. Because I had to wait I got out of line, and then people kept distracting me so I couldn't get in line for a while, and then somehow the dream ended.

I can seriously taste that pizza, just looking at it I can formulate all of the best things that have ever happened to pizza ending up on those three delicate slices of heaven. This is the kind of pizza I can imagine finding on a road trip, where you stop at some random restaurant and eat a meal that is SO outrageous that you are annoyed that you will never have the opportunity to eat there again. The hardening cheese caressing the luscious red tomatoes who have been simmering in the oven just ontop of the now-dead yeast bread dough, as the timer spring is just waiting to climax and let everyone within earshot of the kitchen know they are about to be served justice, on a white porcelain plate.

UGH. At Chicago I will personally pay the finest Italian to build an oven exactly to Steve's standards, and just pray to god he takes the time from his trip to give me what I have been waiting for so very long, Goldberg Pizza.
Jay Boychuk

mannampepo
BSOS Beast

Post by mannampepo » 07 Sep 2008 17:44

ohh man! i want pizza now im gonna go out and buy some.
i hope its ass goood as the pizza in that pic. 8)