The Fast and the Furious: Operation El Kemino, Tokyo Edition

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 07 Jun 2011 05:43

I'll give it a try Reid.

Session in the park on Sunday. I only got 8.5 hours for last week, but I had a surplus from the previous two weeks, so I'm only 30 minutes behind where I should be at this point. Taking two days off for work at Siena, but it is much needed, since my legs really never recovered from my great second week.

Ended my session yesterday with a nice Superduperfly, and had Maelstrom bsos during spinning ducking practice.

Session with Will tomorrow to prep for NYFA. I'm really excited. I haven't been to the city in a while, and it'll be great to play with everybody.
Matt Kemmer

Reid
Norwegian Water Beast

Post by Reid » 07 Jun 2011 09:09

props on maelstrom bsos!
"...You have to get, really, practice, like eight hours every day. Then you get good level and then you can compete....There is no money, so players are like big family and that is what I -like" -Vasek-

Reid Strellner

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 08 Jun 2011 16:02

Thanks Reid. I hit Montage midstring while warming up today, and was pretty close to bsos the one time I tried.

Which was a great way to start my session with Will. The 2 days off really helped, and I felt like I did 2 weeks ago. Now looking forward to NYFA even more =D

superfly>ps whirl>spinning whirl>bw>bw>ps whirl>spinning whirl>superfly
finally figuring out stepping ducking for real, and got some good ripped warriors
footed spender>wind>spender =/ I think I could hit the drill soon

Good runs all around as well

oh, forgot blurry torque bsos, after footing it at nyj 2.5 years ago =P
Last edited by Matt K on 08 Jun 2011 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
Matt Kemmer

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Jun 2011 16:47

So sick Matt. I think I enjoy your blog the most sheerly 'cause of the intensity and difficulty of the stuff you're doing. You're such an amazing player, with better-than-Ales form. Keep going man!!

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 08 Jun 2011 17:24

Wow thanks, Erik. That means a lot to me =)
Matt Kemmer

cd
Egyptian Footgod

Post by cd » 08 Jun 2011 17:27

Dude I can't wait to shred with you at USO! You're a beast. I love seeing the frequent updates.
chris dean

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 13 Jun 2011 10:31

Yo Matt! Great to chill with you and get to know you better than I did at NYJ. You're a pretty awesome kid. Your game was really fun to watch in person this weekend. So rad. Keep it up dude. Thanks for saying that my game was fun to watch too, that was a big push for me. Hope to chill and kick with you again dude.

4-Square was freaking awesome btw.... "Zero: Fuck You!" lol
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 13 Jun 2011 18:36

I have a slightly more in depth thought about NYFA at my work computer which I will post tomorrow. Until then, here's some cool stuff I got over the weekend

stepping symp whirl
spinning symp egg, sealed with a footed spender>food
"flip" food>wind>spender ("flip" because I hit the other side 2.5 years ago and they've probably switched sides now)
whirring swirl, coached by jay
good runs every day. really satisfied with my game right now
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 15 Jun 2011 16:35

First session since NYFA. Will and I played for 2 hours, and it was much better than expected. This is the best I've seen Will play in years, so good for him. As for me, I didn't have a ton of highlights, but there were a few things:

pdx blender>psw>spin whirl>psw>spin whirl>bw>bd>bw>bd
dimmiest>fog>dimmiest>bw>bd>bw>bd>psw>spin whirl (should've had at least the other psw, but I was in the grass already with the last move)
superfly>shaft>superfly (damn you drill)
Matt Kemmer

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 16 Jun 2011 06:31

Can't wait to shred with you at USO, sounds like you've really leveled up.
Matt K wrote:I have a slightly more in depth thought about NYFA at my work computer which I will post tomorrow.
Post it!

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 17 Jun 2011 04:56

C-Fan wrote:
Matt K wrote:I have a slightly more in depth thought about NYFA at my work computer which I will post tomorrow.
Post it!
Well my work computer likes to get rid of files occasionally, but it wasn't so big that I can't just do it again.

I had a great time at NYFA. Besides the 10 minutes of abysmal circle competition I gave, I played very well and really enjoyed myself. Hopefully I can iron out my nerves by USO, and continue to push myself to the next level. Boston, host your jam in July! Some thanks that are deserving of being written:

-Matt Cross for making sure I had a place to stay, and being an extremely generous host
-Jay for coming down from Canada basically because I asked him to, and pushing me to play my best over the weekend
-Nick Polini for being hilarious and always keeping me entertained
-Drew Martin for chauffeuring myself, Nick and Kevin around on Saturday, taking us to the MMW concert, and for playing with me after circle earlier that day
-Pete Bowler for not letting me slide through circle just because I was the high seed
-Kevin Hogan for being the best date ever
-To everyone I played with in a circle; I enjoyed them all
-To everyone I hung out with over the 2.5 days

I hope some of you will join me in Idaho this summer. See you all soon!
Matt Kemmer

slapdash21
Futureless

Post by slapdash21 » 17 Jun 2011 06:36

you have a really good, motivated, smart attitude. i can tell you learn a lot from your experiences and make good use out of that knowledge. thats huge for getting really good at anything, so props.
good shreds mang

pb
Pete Bowler
B$C
keeps it offah da ground.

617 FOR LIFE

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 17 Jun 2011 09:06

I built a shitty end cap last night and thought of our dude date.

i had a good time kickin/chilling with you dude. I enjoy your genuine positivity, especially when Nick was hating on girls :lol: . I feel like although you and me are alot different, footbag aiside i definitely consider you my friend.

i'd bet even money that guy never put his hand down.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 17 Jun 2011 09:38

Glad I was able to entertain you man haha. Chillin' at NYFA and kicking with you was a great time.

Just for the record... I was hating on girls (mainly referring to the girls I've dated), but I (like most guys) have a love/hate relationship with the babes. When you're in love, it seems like nothing can go wrong and everything is perfect, but from my experience, that can soon be turned completely around and the girl can have 2 faces. Kevin, you just made me sound pretty homo there, so I felt I needed to back that up with some explanation lol But Kemmer, it sounds like you have a really good girlfriend, so you're a lucky mofo. Either way, Kevin is right, you are a super positive person and a trait like that will get you far in life.

HUZZAH!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 17 Jun 2011 11:00

Thanks you 3. It means a lot to me.

I'd like to film a video at Siena next week. I realized that there are a lot of really beautiful places that would look great in an HD video here. Filming hopefully on Monday, so I'll give you guys an update if anything actually happens.

Haven't played yet today, but I'm looking forward to my session after dinner, and probably playing with Will tomorrow.
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 18 Jun 2011 15:57

I did play last night, working on double downs mostly to end the week. Nothing really notable though.

I've also added a new portion to my drilling sessions before I warm down. I decided that I want to do each of my common fearless links bs at least once each session, just to keep fresh on them, and get better without really going for true fearless strings. This seems to be working, because when only going for bw>bw>est>est, I naturally added on fog>dimmiest>psw>spin whirl without even thinking about it.

Last night I said to ripped warrior, you are going to be my bitch this time next week. I didn't make much progress last night, but I hit about 10 each side today, all feeling really nice, and I think I'm finally actually understanding how to do them. I'll have to see the next time I play, because stepping ducking has been a notoriously fluky concept for me.

Actual highlights:
a perferct whirring swirl (this time coached by myself). a couple good looks on flip, but I'll need to work on whirr and whirling swirl more
"flip" nemesis (again, because it's the side I haven't done before) which felt clean enough. I got one the other side which probably wasn't clean, but I can see myself having this consistently by the end of the year
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 19 Jun 2011 18:06

No session today, but I watched about 10 old online comps from 06/07. It was nostalgic but also strange to have a new perspective on it, now that I'm at a level where I can hit a lot of that stuff. Also strange to know that a lot of those guys don't play anymore. Anybody remember Matt Coffman?

Filming tomorrow at Siena. I'll try to get some cool stuff in cool places for everybody
Matt Kemmer

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 20 Jun 2011 10:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1zt2Yxz ... re=related

I wanted to copy the video of him playing solo in his garage but it looks like he took it off youtube. But yeah, that video of him in his garage motivated the hell out of me. He had the best freakout after dropping on the last contact of rubberman. Dude had such precise style and form.... Kinda like your shred nowadays.

Anywho, good seeing you at NYFA last weekend. Wish I could've kicked with you more... Do you think you'd be able to make it to Boston if we hold a jam in late August/early Sept?
Doug Tank

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 23 Jun 2011 10:59

Thanks Doug. I probably will not be able to make that because I'll just be coming back from USO and I'll be at Siena in late August. I'll look into it when the date gets closer, but for now it's looking like no.

I tried filming at Siena on Monday, but I was playing absolutely terribly. I decided that from now on I'm going to have my camera rolling for the entirety of my sessions, regardless of what I'm doing, just to help with nerves a bit. (Hopefully I can get some good film too).

Played with Will and Drew on Tuesday. Thanks for taking some time out to hang with us Drew, I had a lot of fun. I didn't play great, but I had some pretty good strings.

Playing tonight, so I'll probably pizzost about that later. (Man I'm lame)
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 28 Jun 2011 17:53

Awful session after a mini break at the end of last week due to seeing my girlfriend and going to my cousin's graduation.

FS Blaze was the only thing decent
Matt Kemmer