The Fast and the Furious: Operation El Kemino, Tokyo Edition

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Zac Miley
Post Master General

Re: Matt Kemmer: Operation DGI (Don't Get Injured)

Post by Zac Miley » 12 Apr 2014 10:13

jesus
Jay (8:06:01 PM): Bu-bu-buu-buug--Looks up, and the feeling goes away like a sneeze-bu-buuuh-BULLLSHITTT
Jay (8:06:14 PM): *wipes bellybutton*

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 13 Apr 2014 19:10

Super good session with Dan today. We did 3 hours; first time doing that outside of a tournament in years.

I felt really on again, I hope it's not just a spike.

2 combos from old posts in this blog:
Gyro DLO>Symp Egg bs
Superfly>PS Whirl>PS Whirl>Superfly bs

Regular stuff:
Pdx DLO>Phoenix rpt
Legbeater>Stepping Whirl>Schmoe>Parkwalk>Stepping Mirage rpt
Blurry Whirl>Blurry Whirl>Tomahawk>Tomahawk>PS Whirl>Spinning Whirl>PS Whirl>Spinning Whirl(>Mobius one side) bs

9 is the new record for the year; it's great to keep increasing this every session. Getting more than 10 seems pretty easy with a combo like the above one.
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 18 Apr 2014 18:42

I've managed to play the last three days in a row. Nothing super noteworthy other than that I can't remember the last time I did 3 solo sessions in a row, so that's something. My legs hurt in a really good way.

Worked on normal stuff. My drifter tricks are still really suffering so I'll have to work my ass off for all of them for a while.

Ended todays session with PS Whirl>Stepping Whirl rpt bs
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 Apr 2014 05:41

Wow Matt. You're still fucking good.

Ending drill seems impossible for me.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 19 Apr 2014 18:32

Thanks Nick.

I played with Dan today for about 2 hours. I'm struggling to remember being able to play this much just about every week not too many years ago.

Nothing super noteworthy, just worked on some basic drifter drills to work out the new kinks in those. Made some progress but still could use a lot more.

It's not big but I did get Pixie Far Clipper>Rev. Swirl>Pdx. Mirage rpt>Pixie Far Clipper>Swirl>Pdx. Mirage rpt, which I wouldn't have been able to come close to even a year ago.
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 21 Apr 2014 17:46

Got in 2 hours of solo drilling. Mostly worked on stuff that used to be really solid that is now only so so. Also went back to my old way of practicing of doing a drill 5 times instead of just the link:

Infinity>Rev. Swirl rpt 5x bs
Pdx. Whirl>Schmoe>Pixie ss Clipper rpt 5x bs
Legbeater>Stepping Mirage rpt 5x bs
Drifter>Blur>Pixie ss Clipper rpt 5x bs

After that I did 5 strings of good 20 contacts. I did notice when I was doing it though that most of my long strings are pretty bullshit shuffly, so I'm going to work on doing more purposeful strings.

Finished with some closing links:
Blurry Whirl>Fog>Parkwalk bs
Tombstone>Blurry Drifter (and the opposite) bs
Blurry Drifter>Blurry Whirl>Blurry Whirl>Tomahawk>Tomahawk>PS Whirl>Spinning Whirl>PS Whirl>Spinning Whirl>Pdx. Blender

This is only the second time I've got 10 fearless, but it only took a few tries this time. Looks like I'll be setting a new PR pretty soon.

edit: Also just wanted to say that I'm so happy I'm playing a lot again. It really feels great, physically and mentally. I'd like to do at least 6 hours a week, and since Dan and I have been playing twice a week it shouldn't be a big problem.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Apr 2014 20:48

You're always going to be a beast in my book. Props aren't enough for hitting your 10 Fearless again. You were at the peak of your game years ago, and now you've probably pushed past it. I think that is wicked cool. You're an inspiration to me dude.
Nick Polini

Funblog

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 22 Apr 2014 06:15

Props on 10 fearless. There's a reason you have 220 props...you're a boss!

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 24 Apr 2014 09:57

Thanks fellers.

One of my co-workers walked into my office today and handed me a copy of Tricks of the Trade that he found cleaning out his son's college dresser.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 24 Apr 2014 11:05

You should hold a Tiltless level online competition and use it as a prize.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 24 Apr 2014 17:08

Just got home from a 2.5 hour session with Dan at Siena. We had to stop because we couldn't see anymore, but I felt like I could've gone for another hour. Dan continues to improve, will probably get some dexes soon.

I felt really great. This is close to the most control I've ever had, and in general my strings were all good. I focused on putting more 5s and harder 4s in them, and I felt a lot more satisfied by the end of each one. The best part of the session was just playing and feeling great doing it, but I got a couple of highlights:

Pdx. Torque>Pdx. Blender bs
Scorpion's Tail>Superfly bs
Double Blender bs
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 27 Apr 2014 20:14

Footbag!

So this weekend was special because Nick and I had been planning a surprise for Kevin for about a week. Nick and Kevin had weekend plans to hangout in MA, play footbag, and see a concert. Nick said that I should come and I sort of laughed it off at first, but the more I thought about it the more it seemed like a good idea. I finally pulled the trigger and drove up Saturday morning to meet the two friends at a diner and watched Kevin's mind trying to process why he was randomly seeing me in this diner.

We played yesterday and today, for like 5.5 total hours. Nick filmed the majority of both sessions so I think there'll be a video of it soon. So much cool shit was hit by all, and they were two of my favorite sessions I've ever had with this sport. They were the perfect balance of good footbag and good friends hanging out. Everyone was psyched about what the other guys were hitting, we were all stealing combos from one another and racing each other to links, all while talking shit constantly. They were so much fun and it makes me sad that the three of us don't live closer to each other so we could do this more often. Oh well, smile because it happened!

...and massage my aching legs.
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 06 May 2014 17:00

Phew. Dan, Will (!) and I played for 3.5 hours today. It was absolutely gorgeous out and it was a great session. Will was rusty but is getting some stuff back already. Dan hit his first clippers and his form is looking better than ever. I had good runs all around and felt great most of the way through the long session.

My highlights:
Mobius>Tomahawk>Tomahawk>Mobius
Tomahawk>Stepping Whirl rpt
The best Fury I've done in 5 years
PS Whirl>Spinning Whirl>Blurry Drifter rpt
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 07 May 2014 05:47

I can always count on you two for props. Thanks team.
Matt Kemmer

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 08 May 2014 18:57

Dammit, Nick.

Dan and I played for 2.5 hours today. That kid's going to kill me; neither of us seem to be able to stop until it's dark or we can't physically play any more. Dan hit his first couple of Legovers today, so it was a pretty special day for him.

It was a great session for me too. Not many highlights but countless number of good/long/dense runs. I'm feeling super great these days, and I hope all of these great sessions is close to my new baseline. I continued my quest to get good at Eggbeaters, and they're starting to feel consistent enough to throw mid-string and fast enough to do some sets in front of them.

Superfly b2b for the first time in a while
Wet Dream bs
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 08 May 2014 21:02

I'm glad you finally had your first Wet Dreams. Both sides of the bed too, good job man. Sometimes you just gotta unload in the night hahahahaha
Nick Polini

Funblog

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 10 May 2014 15:17

Played solo for about 2 hours. Most of that was filming the Level 1 Badge which I'll upload later. It will be a rare 'treat' because it may be the only time you see me do a lot of the tricks on that list.

In all seriousness I'm glad I did it, but a lot of the stuff was a real challenge. Some of the tricks on there (neck stall, lap stall, pincher, toe swap) I had just straight up never done before because I've never been interested in them. I don't think I'll pursue many of them further, but I should work on a few of the things more, just for flexibility's sake that are probably holding back some potential for other tricks.

I didn't have much energy after filming so I just got Drifter>Bubba Beater>Whirl rpt bs and called it a day.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 10 May 2014 17:13

Pinchers gonna haunt your dreams yo
Nick Polini

Funblog

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 12 May 2014 19:18

Word.

It's was gorgeous out today so I couldn't resist playing after work. It was also super hot so my energy was pretty low from the beginning. I was OK for my normal drilling because they were short combos, but anything over 10 contacts had me gasping.

Revup 5x bs
Sumo 5x bs
ss Butterfly>Bubba Beater>Smear rpt 5x bs
Blur>Phoenix 5x bs

Tried to get a couple good runs after that but I just couldn't. Maybe one was 20ish contacts. Only real highlight was Bubba Beater>Atom Smasher>Dimwalk rpt. The only run-y highlight was ending with my BOP warmdown dropless.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 May 2014 21:54

REVUPS ARE FOR PUSSIES.
Nick Polini

Funblog