hogan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
christisgodlike
Shredaholic

Re: the

Post by christisgodlike » 16 Jun 2016 17:53

keep lubing up my larry bird cardboard cutout.....
4eva

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 14 Jul 2016 08:57

3 sessions this week, one with Little Ben and 2 at my new spot. finally scoped out the new little boardwalk they built at the restaurant 2 minutes away from my house and it is hands down the best shred spot i've ever had! wicked spacious, 3 different playing surfaces, fantastic fucking lighting for playing at night, not a crazy amount of foot traffic, not terribly sketchy for pre-session sessions (brown baggiiiiin it!) and i can jump off the pier if it gets too hot or run home quick for water or green if need be. perfecto.

already breaking it in with some drill sessions and some good shred. watched the sun set behind the bev/salem bridge and then hit my first double spinning osis

Going to attempt to do a writeup of left coazt adventures once i get my life together (although the combo of derek's writeup + bobs blog vids covered most things). back in reality and already getting owned between my tire blowing out the highway the other night, work stuff, icy chicks who don't dig me and desperately dry humping the american dream. s'all good baby baby.

also had a breakthrough scratching session the other night. spent a lot of time hunting and pecking samples i liked and practicing spinning the record to the end of a given sample>letting in breathe>spinning back with some added baby scratches and distortion. my sensei and i went back and forth battling beastie boys and nas samples over gang starrs "mass appeal". baby steps but so motherfucking fun, i love the process of being bad at stuff. i'm hooked, saving up for a sampler and some tables of my own, can't wait to start putting in real practice.

heres a vid my friend took of a not so clean datw in da studio between premiere cuts: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHtGgP6hUbI ... utsrecords

running out of good tune ideas somehow. I think i'm becoming a much more casual music fan in my old age, can't keep it real forever, right bernie?

Neil is on every top 10 list i have. such a boss.

Kevin Hogan

BSC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Jul 2016 11:27

Nice. That's probably my second favorite Neil Young song after this:

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Hogan

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 25 Jul 2016 09:01

that was so dank! stills cut that shit up!

playing alot still. 4-5 times a week the past month. footbag has been offsetting life things greatly and is the best form of meditation. drilling alot and getting better at working fun things that don’t destroy my body.

random stuff from the past few weeks:

-new breakfast combo: omelette>egg beater>blender to some pixie stuff

-blurry whirl>double spinning clipper

-fairy drifter>pdx torque>ps whip>spin whirl

-whip>whirl>rev swirl>drifter rpt

-fairy symp egg and fairy ss double pickup>smog flew away from me barefoot

i know theres been alot more but can never really remember lol. pdx drifter>vortex>drifter rpt has been pissing me off lately.

went to peep the sand castle contest at revere beach yesterday and had a gnarly day chilling with the chosen one, ben little. we started kicking around 2, grubbed out, enjoyed some fabulous, as well as varied cilantro, juggled for awhile with some kid who ben taught some 4 ball tricks, went swimming and spoke of what is and what should never be. ben is like boston’s best kept secret, such a a great asset to the crew and all around wonderful human.

we shredded it hard for like 3 hours amidst sketchy revere people and yuppies. ben hit atomic muted clip>ninja slipper and a line starting with atom>clipper kick>pincher>double pickup>eclipse. so hawt. lots of long runs and great style from big ben. we grinded out alot of good stuff amidst some bad turns and lost focus.

my stuff:

-ps whirl>revup sealed with ps whirl>ps whirl>spinning whirl midrun

-frankenstein sealed with a ripstein using the other swirl set

-zig zag>ps whirl

-atomic symple butterfly>mobius both sides

neo ss pickup>fairy non symp, downtime swirl>whirling swirl

fairy weaving osis>gyro dlo>stuff

we had a good day. think i may take the day off to cross train and finish some design projects that have been getting lost in the shuffle.

asmus sent me so much music. can't wait to peep.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Re: hogan

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 30 Aug 2016 13:14

last BSC session at revere beach on sunday deserves a post. not my best, but pete and ben certainly went off. spinning butterfly reverse swirl and tapping torquescrew were two tricks i'd never seen before that pete made look great. We've had a solid summer at revere beach, I think this is the most Ben & I have played together since like 2009? Other than hanging on the west, that really made my summer.

quit caffeine a few weeks ago and am slowly working my way towards easing off of worse habits. Mainly just drinking and recreational chemistry that i'd like to eliminate. only really using the coach when i need em' which is usually for cooking and projects at home, not going dankrupt multiple times in the same week anymore so thats tight. i turn 25 in a few months and it's starting to hit me how much time/money/brain cells i've squandered. no spun out tuesday nights anymore for this guy...where did the time go?

went down to NYC last friday night to get a peep at what this Olav hype is all about. Olav sent me a pm in the long, long ago when i posted a video of my first ss butterfly giving me tips that i still have in my inbox, didn't realize he was a man-god at the time nor that 7 years later i'd drive 4 hours to peep his nemesis. warmed up with lots of same butterflies when olav joined the circle as a full circle inside joke with myself. i was impressed by olav's game and especially polini's improvements.

my game felt pretty whatever but i did hit montage on the first try and my strong phasing set is getting gnarly, lots of phasing revups and franks and also a phasing pickup on revere beach. fairy alpine drifter again, which was new with ben from a few weeks ago.

good seeing polini, boatz, outsider and bruce as well. we got some post sesh sushi and saki bombs which put me where i needed to be. I parted out around 7pm saturday night but was pretty tempted just to say fuck it and watch mad shitty tv with them. there's something about kicking it at the castle in the summertime, which will be weird next summer when boatz dosen't live in ny anymore :(

other than that, fuck a highlight i guess. hanging out with my grandma hoagy, olav, and some of my favorite peeps both boston and new york is way cooler than tricks anywayz.

off to a wine tasting networking thingy. i suck at so bad at networking. i want to go home and watch twin peaks and make ramen noodles and do some dabs. fuck.

been doing this music sig for over a year now. in the theme of always keeping it diverse heres some barrington levy. been getting back into reggae again. ain't nothing as beautiful as music.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 31 Aug 2016 08:08

Jealous of your NYC session. I miss living on the East Coast for the random NYFA shred trips on weekends.

Nice song link. I only knew "broader than broadway" as a reference in this Beastie Boys song:
That album is so dense with references, I'm still learning them.

Props on your efforts to cut out caffeine and other un-necessaries. First half of your twenties is a lot of fun messing around, and second half of your twenties can be a lot of fun seeing how much you can accomplish when you stop messing around.

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 08 Sep 2016 10:40

:footbag: .

polini gave me some me tips on torquescrew when we were in NY last weekend and i finally found the best way for me to hit it after we talked. hit 6 or 7 on my goodside as well as toe torquescrew, which i’ve never done downtime. nick and pete use this trick so effortlessly, i’m super stoked to have a new downtime concept to throw around. stuff like spikehammer>torquescrew and gravediggah screw is going to be the tittys. learning something new that results in a wider trick selection is the stuff i like.

stuffkid:

-muted near gyro toe>tripwalk>rpt (ugly pause on the link though, will keep schoolin’)

-barrage>tripwalk>barrage>tripwalk>tomahawk>run

-Pdx blender>ps whirl>spinning whirl to a run felt good. the first link was the easiest its ever been which was a nice suprise. also got a good pdx blender bsos, been making sure i hit it bothsides every few sessions.

-vortex>double pickup bothsides, close to bsos.

-dyno>gyro toe rpt

-fusing ss mirage, first fusing trick. (only barefoot, couldn’t get the set clean in shoes…yet)

-mobius screw!!!! fiiiiinally. always nice to cross off a dream trick, didn’t take many tries on the day i got it.

also the jolu rumours are true, i'm trying to create a banner before i leave for east coasts but we'll see, early next week at latest. i need to talk with nick to organize the junk draw of ideas in my head, but you can expect to see all the fan favorites like LOTD make a return as well as a prize bag or two and some graphical enhancement, if ya know what i'm saying. I hope you all will work with me to make this one a banger...the video i have in place for Day Juan is so sick, i can't wait to share with you all :)

saw this guy open for blockhead years ago. style isn't so dissimilar than bonobo/blockhead type stuff but if your into beatz you need micky mouse operation/we are but hunks of wood in your collection.

one!
Last edited by h0ag3yb3atZ on 16 Jun 2022 18:53, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 15 Sep 2016 07:40

We talk so much already, that it's weird to comment on your blog :P But I wanted to, since it's been a while. Your game is looking dank. I'm stoked to be helping you with Joulu this year. You're going to do a great job. Torquescrew is dope. You're a good person.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

jooles
Hack Fiend

Post by jooles » 17 Sep 2016 12:48

To your Osis issue: A video would be great! My Osis fails most of the time because of a floppy clipper set. (if your clipper set is always straight up than you just have to move your body every time for the same degrees) Also my body movement (head from one side to the other) was too sloppy and slow. It maybe also applies for yours.

To your actual post: Anger management! He should put his anger into hitting this trick not on the equipment (which isn't to blame if you don't use it correct). I moan "sometimes" at myself when I don't get something but that's also not the best way. Best way is to get away the anger at all but this seems not to be realistic for everyone :)

It appears to me that Kevin is a really beginner. I think the best way to bring somebody to drill is to show him where the problem is when it appears and then tell him how he can handle the situation. Also challenges are a good way:" Have you ever hit 5 consecutive clippers?" But I would never force it to strong because everybody has to find his own way, learn things by himself. If he prefers Mirages over Clippers I wouldn't worry to much, a problem for beginners is that there lacking of tension for the clipper stall so it's frustrating. Here it can help to do some exercises without a bag like lifting the inside stall up and down or bringing a inside stall to a clipper stall with the bag always on the shoe.
Julian
Vienna, Austria

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 29 Sep 2016 13:10

what are you responding to? osis issue? are you referring to posts from like 2009 hahah? get your shit together, julian.

4/5 weekends i’ve shredded with boatz which is phenomenal math. The BSC hit up hemp fest one weekend and than a casual commons shred last saturday. Boatz style looks like it’s improved alot this year, much more guitless based with no signs of the weird stopping. i really wish my double downs looked like his :)

Pete hit an epic move i’d never seen, surging symple blender aka “backside” margaritaville. “Cheese burger in paradise” may be a good name. He tried a symple spender mid run that was footed that looked nutty too. that trick deserves a post on it’s own.

i haven’t had very clear footbag motivation post east coasts and have instead been trying to cross train more and work on some of these footbag projects. Slacking on graphics for the calendar but looks like i’ve filled most of the spots anyways. I’m usually pumped about the unknowns of the calendar as a viewer which sort of sucks to know how stuff will fall, but i have no doubt this year will be some seriously creamy shit.

east coasts was a thing that happened too. It was sort of a weird weekend shred wise as competition had me saving my legs and playing in bursts and i burned out a bit quicker than anticipated. I would have liked to have done a little bit better in circle but am glad i didn’t as nick polini would have yelled at me :) i’m not mad at 3rd place in both events. the lostboy? show may have been the highlight of the weekend, that davey jones guy has never sounded more on point.

routines were a breakthrough for me, watching the tape i’m stoked i took alot of risk and still had fun which was pretty much the only strategy i had. i think if i actually can nail down a few sections other than pointing all da way up, i won’t do horrible planning routines in the future. my qualifyer was way better then my final but i’m honestly proud of it. sometimes the hours i put in my parents basement figuring this weird shit out manifest themselves.
saw the SOOHAN with ben little and a lady frand on tuesday night. every type of epic there could be, the venue was perfect and we were tearing shit up, i hit a ps rev whirl off the stage while a little tipsy which was tight. post show we kicked with the soohan and toked with him! absolutely epic, i’m 100% for “coach consultations with artists i’ve seen live” statistic this year, not so bad, i know that Kevin garnett did better in that category in 07' but i’ll keep pushing.

highlights have been sporadic. the one session i had this week i did 20 pdx torques on my flipside and back to back starting on my bad side which i don’t do alot, i’m gonna work towards 5 each session just for fun.

stuff i remember:

-frankenstein>near gyro toe. i’d really like to hit frank>whirlwind and flipside frankenstein soon.

-paradox torquescrew

-blurry whirl>paradox torque>tomahawk>spinning whirl to open up an ok string. this should be pretty easy to tack stuff before and after, i might make 10 fearless my sole footbag goal next year and dedicate a half hour or so each session just working links.

mostly just strings that seem to be ok. i remember a big gyro symp swirl>mobius deep midstring on a decent run, that link makes your soul shine a bit more.

favorite track off the new record, i'm picking up what your point down LB?
also heres some soo-han-han
shake them dreads.
Last edited by h0ag3yb3atZ on 30 Sep 2016 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 30 Sep 2016 02:27

Good routine homie! Looking forward to see what you cook up in that department in the future. You plan on competing at Worlds?

Check out my homie Kriswontwo. I think you will like his production style.
https://soundcloud.com/kriswontwo

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 21 Nov 2016 13:25

ay girl ay. you da man asmus.

had a pretty real few weeks. nothing that needs to exist in writing anywhere but was doing nothing other than sleeping too much, going to work, chain smoking on my porch and watching the simpsons. really wanted to say fuck it and bail on all the footbag projects i’m invested in, in order to get my head back on straight but i can’t see a scenario where i could bail on the joulu at this point and feel good about it....so that ain't mothah fuckin' happening.

played with the bsc saturday on boston common in honor of little ben’s big birthday. this was one of the most high five filled sessions i’ve been apart of since i started playing with these guys, everyone was on point and flow-y. post sesh bowler and i did some trampoline dunks mixed in with spleefs and cleaning out his parent’s church before going out to dinner with ben little, his wife and co. i drove home stoked as fuck.

if you don’t know ben little you are sorely missing out, and if you know ben little, you know this isn’t an exaggeration. one of the best people there is let alone footbaggers.

as the weird little corner of swept under the rug, glossed over dorky counter culture hacky is, i am insanely lucky my geographic location has put me in proximity with such a solid group for more than 8 years now.

heres some things from saturday’s shred and a drill/LOTD heavy sesh sunday.

-mobius and pdx torque bsos in the same run

-pretty good run starting with fairy gyro mirage>same side symp whirl

-muted parkwalk swirl bothsides and bsos…. new trick inspired by pedro bolero….who hit it off a sweet fucking bench amongst other things lol.

-eggbeater>smudge>toe blur rpt, aleksei challenge to derek that sounded fun.

-struggling and struggling with this one LOTD on several attempts that is a tad out of my wheelhouse…hit it big midrun randomly and with a good enough angle to include it in the calendar! you’ll have to wait and see, although it is a tribute to my friend bob green.

some other grab bag stuff from the month that sticks out:

-pig>smog>smoke>whirling swirl a few times

-toe spinning clipper>spinning ducking clipper>ducking legover rpt

-fear>smear>toe blur>rpt>whirling swirl>lots of stuff.

-fairy spinning ducking osis>tomahawk

motivation is certainly coming back. Thanks to everyone who has/is helping me with the joulu, i’ve had some epic bails so far but it looks like the community for the most part is pulling through. this is gonna be a banger methinks, folks.

if you haven't heard adventures in counter culture you probably should.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Joulu

Post by C-Fan » 28 Dec 2016 08:12

Just wanted to thank you for doing such a great job running the Joulu this year. I know its a lot of work with very little thanks, but it really makes a lot of people happy. So good jorb!

On my drive into work this morning I heard a CSN song I'd never heard before. Thought I'd share with ya:
Thanks again for your work on the Joulu, and hope to see you at Worlds!

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 05 Jan 2017 14:18

i wrote a lot but none of its really needed.

time is interesting. sometimes it seems like your stuck in one spot and everything is the same flyin' stagnant through space & time and than suddenly holidays, side projects, side side projects, work, family, relationships, events, sex, self care, stress, setbacks and everything else in between turn into this whacky cosmic hellball that comes down on you and just nukes your comfort zone and your only choice is to nope the fuck out or grow a bit and shove your dick in the hellball and start pumpin'.

pigbeater>same symp whirl>paradox torque & nuke same osis>gyro doublepickup

As Ken mentioned the Joulu is over and i could not be more stoked about that. i owe everyone who helpede a huge shoutout post at somepoint, especial thanks to nick polini, I could not have gotten threw it without you playa. This project was a blast, i wish i had a slow stagnant month so i could have taken a little more pride in the project but times of growth, mang.

my only two goals this year are to buy some turntables and attend worlds.

twiddle!
Kevin Hogan

BSC

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 06 Jan 2017 08:22

Nice job on the joulu. It feels great to complete it. For one, you don't have to do it anymore, and second, you've got a nice little slice of something to show that you have given something to the community.

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 02 Feb 2017 11:56

some things so i don’t forget. playing a good bit again. first non solo shred of the year was with david flowen byers outside of my apartment a few weekz ago.

-ducking pdx torque>ps whirl>run (instant grammed)

-foe>spinning clipper (harder then the first link, shamelessly guyed from boatz.

-fear>flo>atomic legover>rpt 10+ish shuffle>osis>gyro whirling swirl>hand

-fairy muted whirl>revup>same side symposium whirl

-atomic muted whirl>revup (boatz inspiration too)

-stepping egg>pigbeater>run

-toe gyro whirl mad times for the first new trick of da year

-good looks on flipside flurricane

-first genuine from gyro whirling swirl (gyro toe)

-phasing pickup>same revup

meh. i think i’ll be back in form in a few weeks. ben & i saw the devil makes three last week and realized it was the first time we've chilled since november, that math is pretty horrific & we vowed to never let that happen again. met the leedle little too, all the cuteness & steeze of her fathah. doubtful the BSC gets together this weekend (i just got a new job sat nights & i'm sure we'll all be pushing the bounds of gully on super bowl sunday) but sounds like we're all on the same page, feeling motivated and seeking improvement.

working flip fairy a whole lot, ensuring to link in and out of it. still a bit weird but getting closer to bigger shut bsos-ez and drillz. was workin’ on my tards/moist dreams and realized i’m having that stepping problem jay described a long time ago with the clipper hitting the ground on the set. i think i’ve had this issue for quite a bit of time, did some stepping sets with proper form and they felt the best they have in years, going to be working form here each sesh too.

lots and lots of work to do. weight training>footbag tonight then finishing up some super sexy square rack cards, oh yes.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 02 Feb 2017 23:05

Could you do another ducking trick from duck p torque? Eg mullet, mindbender? That would be sick.

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 03 May 2017 04:27

-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Slaaaang

Post by C-Fan » 04 May 2017 06:32

An oldie but a goodie. If either of you make it to Worlds, we should incorporate these phrases into our conversations.