Allan's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Allan's Footblog

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jun 2015 18:54

Way to set the mood with that 40 contact run right off the bat. That was wicked. Loved the Rake> DSO> Paradon combo right around contact 33. I love how I can see how much fun you're having in these strings. The non - standard 5 Fearlessential run was great too. Also really liked Matt's outside kick> Spinning dragon. Not something you see every day.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Allan

Post by Allan » 16 Aug 2015 08:47

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 16 Aug 2015 09:44

Nice vids. I'll definitely be adding Matador>Ripwalk>rpt to my drills to hit list.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Aug 2015 15:51

Holy shit Allan! You are looking really strong. Great delays, good sets, nice light sounds from the shuffle. Controlled.

Can't wait to see more!
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 16 Aug 2015 17:09

amazing stuff, I want more!
Mathieu Gauthier

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 16 Aug 2015 18:54

That Rust session, though :O Super clean with the slow-mo, as well. Thought you had the slowest Swirls in the land for a minute. Was greatly appreciated, same for all footage. So raw!
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 16 Aug 2015 22:50

Ugh so good. Loved the butterfly twist run and the matador run! Love your game so much.

Allan

Post by Allan » 24 Aug 2015 22:59

Thanks for the kind words, folks :)

Matt & I played tonight. Don't ask me why it's not on video. Fucking beta software, man. I hit my personal best 8 fearless:

ripped warrior > blurry whirl > blurry whirl > PS whirl > spinning whirl > mobius > paradox blender > symposium twirl > footed paradox torque, but missed it.

So, 8, almost 9 fearless :) For a guy who doesn't really care too much of how many fearless I can do, I was pretty stoked on that when I hit it. Perhaps next session I can hit that torque and motion out of it for 10?

:lol:

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 24 Aug 2015 23:16

Cool combo Allan! I really like the pdx blender > symposium twirl link.

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 24 Aug 2015 23:43

Wow, I don't know how I missed rust sesh. Glad I didn't miss it altogether.

Allan

Post by Allan » 15 Sep 2015 21:07

Testing 123.

Solo session last week; tweaked neck; haven't played since; probably playing tomorrow.

Allan

Post by Allan » 01 Oct 2015 17:37

My neck has turned into a bit of an issue. I had to take a couple of days off work last week, and I've not played in, like, 10 days. It's been feeling better, and I'm almost tried to play today, but I think I'm going to try to save it until at least the weekend.

I'm on vacation next week, and plan on taking a trip over to Vancouver to play with Olav Piwowar :D He's living in Van right now and apparently has been playing with the guys there quite a bit. I'm stoked on playing with Olav, for sure. He's a legend.

I've also had a serious setback with my computer. After 6 years, the system board called it a game and died a fast death. This was extremely unfortunate for a number of reasons, not the least of which is that I'm super-broke and can't afford to replace my computer. As I do still do some professional work, I kind of need a decent computer, so I've taken the rate drastic step of over-extending myself and, after a lot of investigating the options (new versus used etc), I've purchased a new laptop. I'm terrified about what it's going to do to me financially.

The death of the old also has an effect on the video archive project. I'm going to post a bit about it soon over on that projects blog, but sufficed to say: my old laptop had a Firewire port; my new one doesn't. I'm looking into a Firewire->USB 3.1 converter or something similar (there's a displayport adapter that might work), but it just kills me to spend money on stuff like that, as it tends to be stupidly expensive; I mean, $99 for an adapter? Fuck me. I'm considering asking for donations from the community, but that's not a step I want to take lightly.

Anyhow, here's a couple of videos from my last couple of sessions:

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 02 Oct 2015 07:44

You should ask for donations, if not for hardware, then for your time. I'm broke, but I'll pitch in $5.
Please film when you play next week. Oh, and have fun.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Allan

Post by Allan » 02 Oct 2015 08:09

Thanks Ivan :)

I'll certainly record next week's session with Olav (if he's into it).

A

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 02 Oct 2015 19:59

I really cant get enough of your videos. I'm gonna have to give inspinning another go soon.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 08 Oct 2015 16:04

Allan wrote:Thanks Ivan :)

I'll certainly record next week's session with Olav (if he's into it).

A

OMG yes plz

Allan

Post by Allan » 14 Nov 2015 14:02

SOOOO MUCH GOING ON!

We're hosting what was supposed to be a small jam here in Victoria next week, but it's blowing up! We've got folks from all over showing up and I'm stoked!

Nothing new on the video project front :( I've been working on various solutions to my current predicament, but nothing yet. Soon. I really should update the project's blog ...

Haven't been playing much, but I do have a session or two's worth or highlight clips to publish at some point soon... not exactly high on the priorities list.

Been working on the forum a bit. See the Meta forum for details.

There's something else I'm forgetting to touch on, but I just wanted to punch out a quick update while I was here. Hopefully more soon.

OH YEAH, here's the video from the session I had with Olav & Co. in Vancouver last month:

Allan

Post by Allan » 09 Dec 2015 14:30

Man. A lot can happen when you're not paying attention. Or maybe it just feels like a lot happens? I dunno. I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with things right now. I've got more on my plate than I'd like to have, but I keep wanting to start new projects.

A couple of weeks ago now we tried to host a small tournament. When we announced "The Vic Hacky Party," we got more people saying they were going to come than we had anticipated and we were stoked on that. Greg & Liz and Antonio and Olav & Vivian that had confirmed from Vancouver. Then Nick said he'd be coming, which was crazy cool; then Justin Dale & Chris Dean chimed in saying they were going to make it over to our little island too. We were all set to have a pretty fun little jam.

It was only a day or two before the event was to happen when the cancellations started. Chris was too stressed with school to come. Justin was having issues with crossing the border and decided not to risk a trip across just then so as not to jeopardize a future trip abroad with his SO. Greg & Liz decided they couldn't make it either, and when Nick found his airline tickets vanished without warning, it was down to Antonio, Olav & Vivian. I guess Antonio had some bad things happen to him and he decided he didn't want to make the trip. We were down to Olav & Vivian, BUT THEY MADE IT!! We counted ourselves fortunate that they could still come and made the best of it.

Olav is my favourite player. He's truly amazing with a footbag with seemingly double-jointed knees. He makes furious set look stupid easy. I don't have time at the moment to do a full Cass -style writeup, but sufficed to say that we had two decent sessions; one on Saturday and one on Sunday. I recorded both sessions, though the first day I didn't put nearly enough effort into framing things and my camera decided to focus on the footbag closest to it, rather than to focus on the players. So, most of the footage from day 1 is out of focus; it's not too bad, but it's less than ideal. Day 2 is much better framing and focus (so of course I played like shit), but the lighting wasn't awesome and there's a fair amount of grainy noise polluting things; when you shoot at 240fps like I was, good lighting is paramount. As well, we were forced to play in a thoroughfare that had too much traffic and there was a lot of distracting elements in the frame. Next time, I'm going to make it more of a priority to get that shit correct.

Despite the drawbacks, I did manage to get about 15 minutes worth of usable footage (mostly Olav) that I'm in the process of editing. I'm hoping to have it done in time to contribute it to the calendar.

Despite the lack of people, we still had a blast. We partied at Matt's house at night and toured around the city on Friday and Saturday. They left early afternoon on Sunday and that was that. Olav & Vivian are awesome people and I'm really honoured to have been able to get to know them better, while having Olav skool me on shred. Hopefully something will happen again for us by the time they leave Vancouver in early February.

Other things: the ancient video archive is back on track!! Despite several consecutive setbacks, I'm finally up and running and able to capture video again. I'm going to do a more complete write-up in that projects blog at some point soon, but be on the lookout for one extra special video that'll be featured in the calendar next week.

My game hasn't really gone anywhere. We've played a few times since the hacky party, but nothing stands out in my head right now. I've got a couple of minutes worth of video out of it that I'll probably just publish to my vimeo account without making much of it; it's just my personal video-journal.

What else? In January/February I'm taking a leave from work. I'm still not exactly sure what my plans are for that time, but I'm thinking it will result in some significant changes to my life; it might not, but it very well could mean a new job. At very least I should have some more time to devote to wrapping up many of the projects I've been working on and have on the back burner.

I've got some other thoughts percolating in my head, but I suppose I should cut this short and go deal with the responsibilities of life.

Happy shred people!!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 11 Dec 2015 06:37

Good read. If you ever want someone to talk projects with, you know where to find me. I've got a bunch of ideas, too.

Sorry again that I couldn't make the trip. I was just as bummed about it as you guys :/
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Allan

Post by Allan » 12 Dec 2015 11:19

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:Sorry again that I couldn't make the trip. I was just as bummed about it as you guys :/
It's all good :) We appreciate you making the effort and know that shit happens.

Matt & I might be playing tonight. Matt has back problems. Last time we played he pulled his back out quite badly :( We're hoping to have a light session tonight. It's funny, but sometimes when we designate a session as a "light kick," I actually end up playing really well.

I've been giving "footbag" a great deal of thought recently. I'm completely full of doubt as to how I feel on a fundamental level, about so many aspects of the game. I guess I always have been. It's kind of not my fault ;) I've got issues.

I could be using my skills as a developer much more effectively for the community, but my mental state is generally not conducive to playing well with others. I feel relegated to working on fun-for-me little hobby projects that I find some passion in, rather than participating in some larger goal of furthering the sport. That sounds kind of sad, but I served, like, 4 years with the IFPA (stints as communications & membership director respectively) and was almost completely ineffective. I've learned a lot since then, but the more I learn about myself, the more I learn that a) I like being behind the scenes, and b) I have no fear that footbag will die; none.

And so, I think all I can do right now is to keep doing what I'm doing, hacking away at the small stuff and having fun, just trying to support as many people in their goals as possible. If anyone thinks that's not enough from me--that I'm being juvenile or irresponsible--well, I feel you; but, my ability to care has been on the wane for a while now. This isn't to say that some major life change might alter my direction, but that's where I'm at right now.

[drops mike]