Dante's Blog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 15 Apr 2011 16:21

HEY BLOG

Still working away on this footbag thing. Sunshine helps.

Drilling drifters (vortex, ducking pdx and blurry) as well as spinning EVERYTHING. Nothing too out of the ordinary, just drills. Usually doing 25 vortex each side per session and spender both sides at least a few times. Working on getting my leg strength back from the winter and breaking in my pink quantums, which still just don't feel right.

TICKETS FOR WORLDS: July 22nd flight from T.O. and return flight from Helsinki on August 8th. Yes.

DTank126
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by DTank126 » 20 Apr 2011 11:50

STOP WORKING VORTEX! I need at least ONE trick to be better than you at. :P Cant wait for a new vidjeo of you dude.
Doug Tank

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 25 Aug 2011 10:14

So yeah I still play footbag. Worlds was awesome and I've switched back to Lavers. I think that Quantums are great but they let you 'cheat' a bit. They are so light that dexes are almost effortless and their surfaces are so big that you can delay the bag without really cushioning it. That's why I was at a roadblock - my style was lazy in a way that casued inconsistency. I would drop easy tricks simply because I wasn't delaying the bag with enough motion and precision.

Now that I am back in Lavers I feel more in control and confident about hitting tricks. Although they are much heavier, my legs are getting used to added weight and it's for the better. I have done some amazing runs in the past couple weeks of training, simply because I am gaining an understanding of how to control the set and delay of the bag. Dexing in between just comes naturally.

The 3 main things I am working on are:

- playing on my toes (landing toe->heel)
- getting the delay foot cranked or positioned EARLIER (so I can cushion the bag)
- keeping my weight forward and shoulders relaxed (with proper back posture)

I'm also conscious of all my sets coming from the body and not just the legs. Swiveling my hips and moving more than just my legs for components like drifter, atomic sets and stepping sets.

Currently I'm using double downs to drill proper toe-> heel support foot landings and always stepping out of the double downs to ensure proper positioning. Gotta' get those barflies back improve my record of 12.

Going to shred in London this weekend at the tournament organized by Johnny S. and Zach 4th. Let's see how it goes.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 29 Aug 2011 09:15

London was awesome!

I can't write too much... Just got all my wisdom teeth out and I feel like someone just surging blendered me in the mouth (knee from surging to break my jaw and the blender dex to knock my teeth out)

I played really well in London. I was nailing fogs and bedwetters, barflies and blurriests, atomics and quantums. I had some long runs (20ish contacts) which is a big improvement for me. I gotta keep working on consistency and form. My lavers feel more comfortable every session and should be breaking in nicely over the next couple months.

Thanks a ton to John and Zach for the great jam in London!

abstract
Fearless

Post by abstract » 29 Aug 2011 09:32

surging blender without anesthetic?

medical malpractice, imo. sue them for all the footbags they are worth.
greg raymond, kingston

FB: Rocker Holliday

"What is it that makes a complete stranger dive into an icy river to save a solid gold baby? Maybe we'll never know." - Jack Handey

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 23 Sep 2011 11:04

I think I'm getting good at footbag

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 16 Dec 2011 11:24

So yeah, still playing footbag! Thought I would post a highlight from my last session. Mathieu GM requested this and I got it b2b:

pdx whirl->blurry whirl->spinning whirl->ps whirl

Won't be able to attend NYJ this year, family wedding on New Year's. Hopefully will be throwing a jam here in Kingston (Kickass 4?) next spring or summer.

MathieuGM
Fearless

Post by MathieuGM » 17 Dec 2011 19:26

You are the man!

That combo is pretty hard dude... especially b2b haha! About how many attempts to hit that b2b?

Props!

See you soon!!!

MAt

Slowsis
Circle Jerk

Post by Slowsis » 19 Dec 2011 17:57

By b2b do you mean Rpt? :)

Any plans of heading down the T.O way anytime this winter? I've been considering making some footbag visits over the next month or two....when is a good weekend for the KFM?
Adam Greenwood
Live>Love>Shred>Die
Toronto Blog

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 02 Jan 2012 17:23

Thanks guys :P yeah rpt, not b2b :P

I just got back from visiting family but I'm in Stratford until heading back to Kingston on the 8th. Mathieu GM is going to come visit me sometime in January so we could try to coordinate that with you Adam - possibly Boychuk as well. With Greg and John, we can get 2 decent circles going :D We'll look at dates as soon as I'm back and have my final course schedule for the semester. I'm guessing either the 14-15 or the 21-22 weekends?

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 01 Mar 2012 22:25

Just got back from 2 weeks in South America where I was doing a Biology field course.

I played quite a bit in Argentina and Chile while I was there, much to the appreciation of the locals and my school group :wink:

I plan to continue shredding more and more as the weather gets warmer and warmer.

Oh and I have a a quite fascinating independent project underway which is taking up most of my time...

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 10 Mar 2012 18:19

That day when you haven't freestyled (in Lavers) in a month... and atom smasher feels like a 7 ADD.

That was today. Time to get back into shape. Mobius looking good, blenders looking good, dlo's and egg's are on the grill and heating up.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Re: Dante's Blog

Post by Dio » 06 Oct 2016 13:03

One day during a bench press (with a barbell, which I've always struggled with), I realized that I just didn't want to push hard in the gym. Especially on something as pointless as a barbell press. So what if my chest gets a little bigger? For what reason other than vanity?

But when I play footbag, I want to push. I'll keep trying that pdx torque until I'm out of breath, sweating into my eyes and on the brink of injury.

Lifting weights has improved my overall strength but has mainly enhanced my body awareness - from stretching and flexibility to muscle coordination in compound movements. For a footbag player, this is really important for combining trick elements and hitting difficult links.

Modded these babies last night after hanging on to them for about a year. They feel amazing, especially after shredding in slightly-too-large quantums for the past few months. Why Lavers?? :roll:

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 Oct 2016 17:07

Also, welcome back.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 11 Oct 2016 02:59

Glad to see you back in there, hopefully the weights work makes your footbag game stronger.

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 13 Oct 2016 15:44

Thanks guys!

One shot: Video:

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 15 Oct 2016 10:57

One Shot: Video:

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 16 Oct 2016 04:14

are you still in kingston?
Mathieu Gauthier

Dio
BSOS Beast

Post by Dio » 16 Oct 2016 16:17

No, I moved home to Stratford. Thinking of what to do next.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 25 Oct 2016 15:02

Come play footbag with Zach and I ;D

Sorry I missed you last time!