Reilley Adamson's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Re: Reilley Adamson's footblog

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 09 Apr 2013 07:28

Looked pretty effortless to me!

Nice stuff recently! You've almost broken through the tiltless egg shell into the guiltless world. Your form is looking great too. I wouldn't school 5 adds like Phoenix so much right now... I've learned that as you work on smaller tricks, bigger ones get much easier. I'd also like to see you spin/gyro more. Challenges: Gyro Clipper b2b, Spinning Clipper> Spinning Clipper bs, Spinning Clipper> Ducking Clipper rpt, Osis> Spinning Clipper bs (this concept, called Zooming is great for thinking during your runs if you get a case of "Shredder's Block" (kinda like Writer's Block, but with footbag))

Looks awesome so far, Reilley
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 10 Apr 2013 22:05

April 10, 2013

Too lazy to write stuff today. I tried a few open tricks drills (spent a lot of time on Magellan > open near mirage, rpt) and didn't really get through them. It was great practice though. I hit phoenix bsos almost immediately.

Got this at the end of the day:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb55CUOazf4[/youtube]
Mystery move revealed. It's thin (look at my face afterward :lol:), but I asked a few people, and the verdict is "clean enough."

I'm going through some hectic stuff outside of footbag so I might not be able to play Sunday, and I might not be focused until I have it taken care of. Moving sucks!

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 11 Apr 2013 07:05

Have you given up on Stepping, or just keepin' that on the back burner? Your Pixie game is lookin' freakin' excellent! Glad to see some strings from ya, lookin' dense and pretty varied, I'm jealous. Any chance that you can DATW both sides mid-string? Phoenix BS and PS Whirl, eh? Nice! :wink:
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 16 Apr 2013 00:56

April 15, 2013

Spontaneous session with Justin. I spent all of Sunday moving so it was nice getting to kick today.

I don't know how much interesting stuff I'm going to have to write for a while. I'm really trying to stick to a 'less is more' approach to footbag right now. More attempts at less things.

I spent a little more time than normal warming up with easy stuff, and had a few lazy 15-ish contact runs littered with inside stalls and stuff. It's still not really fun to work on (at all), and I still can't get through like 20 very well, but I know I'm starting to naturally do easy stuff with better form.

I again spent a lot of time of various drills that start with open moves. I got through my dimwalk > mixer > open legover, rpt and parkwalk > osis > far mirage, rpt combos, but not as one string. I spent some time trying to get Magellan > open ss mirage, rpt again, but did even worse than last session. I don't think I ever even got to the last move. Fucking pisses me off. I can get phoenix both sides easily at this point, and doing so many parkwalks has really helped my accuracy, but I can't get through little bullshit drills like this? I started getting irritated and setting it too fast so after a while lots of them weren't even clearing my leg on the way up.

I spent a little while on gyro stuff. I got gyro pickup and gyro mirage both sides. Justin tempted me by mentioning mobius, but I am not there yet. Put a couple vortex attempts in for fun though. I'd like to hit gyro mixers.

Between every other round Justin and I did sets of 10 inclined pushups, 20 squats, and 30 situps. I got through five sets, but it's hard juggling the energy required to do that during a session.

It seems a lot of my highlights now just come from me deciding to fuck around for a few minutes at the end of the day. I've totally avoided even trying double downs up to this point, but happened to think about Trevor hitting his first paradon on film like a year ago. I tried a couple and got pretty close. Justin gave me a couple pointers, and I hit three clean ones in a row:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAszQPcXg54[/youtube]
Derek: I don't think my flip double around the world is good enough to warrant trying that a lot yet. My right foot still sucks at dexing that trick!

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 18 Apr 2013 11:41

April 17, 2013

Another session with Justin. I really played like shit.

I spent most of the session just sucking at everything and getting frustrated. I was bound to have a downer session after a while. Nothing fucking pisses me off like thoroughly wasteful drops -- messing up a set, accidentally kicking the bag across the room with my other foot, and then accidentally dropping the bag just trying to pick it up off of the fucking ground.

I was trying to remember the drifter combo I was going for a week or so ago, but couldn't think of it. Justin eventually just suggested dimwalk > drifter > mixer, rpt, and I spent pretty much the rest of the session working on it. I got through it several times, but it's one of those combos that I want to follow up with at least another five or ten contacts. Twice I got through the drill only to drop two moves in at an identical point in a different follow-up combo. Fuck that shit. On the other hand my flip drifter got a lot of practice in. I've never been able to get the swinging momentum of my flip drifter right, but it felt a hell of a lot quicker by the end of the day.

Justin noticed that my right foot was not lifting straight up for open sets... a problem I've had before. We spent a little while trying to fix it, but I think it was just one of those days where I was not feeling very receptive to coaching. I'm not sure if it improved at all, but Justin was at least entertaining the idea that it was. My legs are still so weak that I have to put in a lot of effort just to do fairly basic motions like putting open sets in specific spots for specific tricks. 90% of my energy goes to just lifting my legs correctly rather than focusing on the actual trick. Because of this a lot of my parkwalks and smears are really off balance as I try to compensate for bad sets. I can't really complain as I generally still don't have the discipline to work out regularly or eat right!

Justin and I did get another crucial piece of U.S. Open planning done. It's really coming together. I have no idea how well attended this event will be compared to previous years, but I think it will be relatively stress-free and organized.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 22 Apr 2013 09:09

April 21, 2013

Session at the gym. I sucked!

I hit open ducking osis for the first time on both sides, but that's about it.

In the biggest fluke of all flukes I hit blender. First try ever. But none of my other attempts were even close.

I couldn't get through my drifter combo from last session at all. Why are the wheels going backwards?
Last edited by rjadamson on 22 Apr 2013 10:59, edited 1 time in total.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 22 Apr 2013 09:20

rjadamson wrote:I couldn't get through my drifter combo from last session at all. Why are the wheels going backwards?
Skaggs used to have as his signature quote: "Beginners practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they can't get it wrong."

Or something to that extent. I remind myself of this quote periodically. Oftentimes, it's not that you've regressed, but rather your last session you had an upward spike. Upward spikes are fun and show you what's possible, but to get to that briefly glimpsed level and maintain it requires a lot of work. When I hit my first beast I was thrilled, but I knew it was a bit of a fluke. I put in a lot of work over the next few months, and while I never got fully consistent with beasts, that work made them more frequent and less flukey.

Long-winded way of saying the wheels aren't going backwards, just that there will be fits and starts in both directions as you continue learning and getting better, just as there are for all of us.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 26 Apr 2013 21:50

April 24, 2013

I've been staying at a friend's place while I'm between leases. He left this afternoon on a trip to Iceland until the end of this coming weekend. The apartment itself is fairly high-end, and the roof of the complex is one of the most scenic shred spots I can imagine in the city. I thought it'd be cool to have a session up here so Justin and I planned on kicking on the rooftop. Unfortunately he forgot his shoes so we just went back to his place to kick as per usual.

I think our collective disappointment with the change of plans really affected our play. I had another really bad session. I have spent the last month pretty much doing the same bullshit-ass drills (dimwalk > mixer > open legover, rpt), and lately I can't get through them at all. Footbag has been much less of a release because I don't feel like I'm improving or doing anything of note. I hate feeling like I'm wasting my time. I can spend an apparently indefinite amount of time getting pissed off at this shit or I can probably spend that time getting results in another hobby (I've been trying to dedicate more free time to guitar again). The last few sessions have left me really disillusioned with my game. The only thing I was remotely pleased with were the cleanliness of my flip open sets.

Justin's foot has been bothering him a lot so he didn't play very well, and had to stop early. I think we only played for a total of maybe a half hour before calling it a wash.

April 26, 2013

We decided to try again. The weather was really nice today, and despite not being able to get started as early as I had hoped there was still ample time to kick. I did record video in hopes of having something noteworthy to post. I did better than I have in the last couple weeks, but I am to the point where tripless links and new 5-adds aren't really that satisfying. I want so bad just to have some decently long strings with more than bullshit mirages, but I think my longest one today was 14.

My legs did feel pretty fresh starting out though. Justin started by incorporating tripwalks into his game, and something told me I was going to have some luck clearing quantum sets today. I was right, but the downtime components were harder than I remember them being before. I got some tripwalks, but nothing really notable ever followed. Flip open ducking is clearing more and more every time I dedicate a few rounds to it, but like pretty much all of my flip components it just feels perpetually asymmetrical to my other side. I can hit flip dimwalk and parkwalk at about the same rate as my good side, but I'll be damned if it doesn't ever feel like I'm going to hit it.

I worked on paradon some more, and while it's really encouraging having some form of double down unexpectedly coming pretty easily to me I can already see it becoming just another torque or drifter -- something I suddenly hit a wall on once I'm at a certain proficiency. I just have so many things I can start strings with, but can't do spontaneously.

Got really pissed off when I couldn't even get like two contacts into mirage > legover, rpt. Honestly, I have been playing for going on two years now and I still have bad days on my easiest tiltless?

I don't mean to be so negative but playing footbag is completely bumming me out lately. I think if the next few sessions aren't more encouraging I'm just going to take a break from updating this. On a more positive note I've really enjoyed talking to various players about the U.S. Open lately. I should be playing this sport for the physical exercise and opportunity to truly challenge myself to get good at something few people can, but the social aspect really keeps me going more than anything.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 03 May 2013 23:25

May 1, 2013

I was spacing out watching Trevor work on torque, and pulled this out of my ass first or second try:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY7xGJUDIg4[/youtube]
I don't know.

The catch wasn't very good so I tried some more more. Of course the camera didn't focus for my good one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAAElUAXjHA[/youtube]
All in all a good Green Lake session... a nice change from the last few.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 06 May 2013 10:37

That trick is so awesome!!!

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 06 May 2013 22:51

May 5, 2013

I'm getting really behind on writing these.

We played at Cal Anderson Park for the first time in a while. It's so awesome finally starting to be able to play around the city. I've gotten more sun over the last couple days than I have all year. Galen has been playing with us again for the last couple sessions, and it was cool seeing him pick up on such a strong note.

I once again feel a little directionless. I've gotten a few concepts much stronger than they were at this point last year, but I've yet to really feel like I've gotten any one thing -- open sets, mixers, whatever -- to the point where I can do them and know I'll hit it. So many things are at that wall of 50% likelihood of both catching or dropping. Some days it's extremely frustrating feeling like I still can't put a string together after going on two years, but some days I surprise myself and hit weird tricks like stepping ingyro toe on one of my first tries. I am really jealous that Trevor's string length is getting so good, but I think I am still the overall most versatile newbie player in our club. Give me a day to hit a weird concept or set, and I can probably do it (though motion has been an exception to that rule over the past couple sessions).

I've been thinking a lot about my future with footbag. This fall I may unfortauntely moving further away from away from everyone in the club, and therefore might not be kicking with them as much . We'll see. But if that's the case I think at this point I've put enough of my energy into footbag so that I will move on to doing solo sessions like the big boys to really get good at playing. I don't like practicing flip illusions and other things I can't do when other players are around so maybe having more incentive to kick on my own will do a lot for my consistency, ambidexterity, and endurance. Until then I might just try and not take footbag too seriously until I get some other life things figured out (I've been living on a friend's couch for almost a month while I'm between leases, and that's just the beginning).

No video this time, but I would like to link to one of my favorite songs:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r03cMIWs2wc[/youtube]
What a introspective way to end possibly the best psybient album out there. I've been spending a lot of energy on a silly music collection reroganization project, and have found a lot of good potential footbag video/routine songs along the way. It's been cool feeding them to Justin and seeing what thinks. That reminds me -- none of us really have routine songs picked out for this summer yet.

Thanks for the comment Ken! I'll try and keep this blog active and interesting.

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 08 May 2013 22:50

May 8, 2013

Today I woke up to a call by the temp agency I had signed up with a few weeks ago on Justin's behest. I now have a one- to three-month job at a law firm downtown starting on about eight hours, and for the first time in my life actually had to go out and buy slacks and nice loafers. I'm slowly moving up in the world, but it's a little stressful considering I still haven't moved into a new place. I was hoping to have a permanent address by the time a real job came my way! I spent a lot of today running around doing errands and wasn't sure if I'd be up for kicking in the evening for most of today, but when the time came Justin, Trevor, and I got a nice light Green Lake session going.

I still feel at a loss for what to write here nowadays, but I guess it's been cool testing the waters of different concepts over the last few months to see what comes naturally. I had one really good string early on in the day today. There was a point in the middle where I lost control and had to do a few inside kicks, but I'm pretty sure I hit the deepest torque I've ever done, both dimwalks and parkwalks, and both mixers felt pretty symmetrical. I think I also had a drifter and both far mirages. I wish I had gotten it on video.

I hit a new trick today -- open far whip -- and am trying to modestly join the bothsidedness club:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn0mfArIogo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgdprGdt53o[/youtube]

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 09 May 2013 06:22

Props on getting a jorb! Always nice to have income coming in the door.

A word on temp jobs/internships. They may not pay a ton initially, so in that sense there's almost incentive to work less hard. In reality though, it's been my experience that temp/internships are almost like a free trial run for the employer to see how good you are, and if you impress the hell out of them sometimes there will be a permanent job at the end of the rainbow. So keep that in mind, and work your ass off. Impress some people, and see what happens.

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 09 May 2013 07:23

^knows whats up. great job on the job, Reilley.

props on all the new trickage aswell. now that your stacking paper to the moon you should find a way to come kick on the east coast, we're alot cooler :)
Kevin Hogan

BSC

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 11 Jun 2013 02:27

May 26, 2013

Totally late on this, but kicked at Northwest Folklife -- the premier free-music-festival-stoned-casual-kicker-gathering-event of the year. I usually am at this festival all day all weekend each year, but I just went for a few hours today. I even kicked in pants. For the last month I had been busy with my 9-to-5 and pursuing new business ventures in my free time. So I just went to this in order to blow off some steam and scout out potential kickers. Trevor and Galen were there. I had some strings in pants that rival the ones I've gotten in recent sessions. It was cool putting on a more professional face in hack circles and confidently demonstrating moves like phoenix on command. I hit my first butterfly swirl in pants. (Have I ever heard "down swirl"?)

I got two phone numbers from potential new blood.

June 2, 2013

My first session with the club in a while. We kicked at Cal Anderson. I have been pretty burned out on playing lately while I really try to juggle life stuff. I've been living in a new place for a few weeks now, but just can't get settled in at all. I had a decent day, but not making in progress on my level of fitness or game grate at me every time I do get a chance to play. Us intermediates did some circle contest scrimmages at the end and I emo'd out after realizing I can't rely on something as simple as osis > mirage on either side.

June 9, 2013

Our first session at Alki Beach. It's the best area in Seattle to kick. I've been totally absorbed in other stuff in my free time, but my schedule is finally evening out. And by that I mean I'm canceling plans so I can kick.

I got to show off butterfly swirl to everyone. I worked on basics with Galen quite a bit. I got fifteen to twenty contacts into several tiltless drills. Had some fun with open op clip > mixer, rpt. I hit open ducking ss down. If I can just keep kicking regularly up to the U.S. Open...

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 29 Jun 2013 00:14

June 19, 2013

Trevor and I went to Green Lake. It's not often I kick without the influence of Justin at the session. We just dinked around for an hour or two before Trevor asked me if I had ever tried stepping ducking. We ended up spending like 20 minutes both trying to hit ripped warrior for the first time. Trevor totally hit it! I didn't really do anything cool. I footed ripped warrior and open ducking dyno a couple times each.

June 22, 2013

I remember this being a pretty good session for me, but I don't remember even vaguely what I did.

I've decided that after I get through this weekend and do my U.S. Open write up I'm going to wrap up this blog for a little while. My life has quickly gone from free after work every day to having to pencil people in a week in advance just to hang out (if I am free at all). The last month has been a crash course on time management. I won't stop kicking, but I have neither the time nor desire to focus my energy into actively improving at footbag or writing about it here. I will probably start this thing up again someday, but it's time to put the time I spend on here to better use.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 03 Jul 2013 07:49

Sorry to hear the blog will close, even if its just temporary. I look forward to reading your USO write up though. I also hope some of your redirected time will go towards pwning n3wbs in TF2 with me. :)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 03 Jul 2013 10:21

Yeah man, major bummer to hear that you don't wanna improve at footbag anymore. Hope that mentality changes eventually. Also looking forward to your write-up. Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 03 Jul 2013 10:52

This is saddening, but understandable. Hope all is well in ya cosmos.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 09 Jul 2013 22:39

I enjoyed reading your blog and looking ahead at some of the challenges I may face as I get better (you seem to be 8-10 months ahead of me on a lot of tricks) . I totally understand that life and footbag don't always mesh, so I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors. With that said, I am looking forward to your USO write up and the day you decide to come back to your footblog.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!