Ivan I's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Ivan I's Footblog

Post by Kylescook » 30 Jul 2015 11:26

isirc10 wrote: I also had one absolutely scrumptious Nuke set that I knew was gonna be good the moment it left my clipper. I watched it rise up past my dex leg and relaxed a bit, knowing I was gonna have time to do whatever I wanted... and then the bag hit me in the face and dropped to the ground. I felt pretty stupid for not moving my head to the side and ducking it, but oh well, it's happened once, it will happen again. I'll have to channel my inner pipebomb next time.

I love that feeling that comes with a perfect set, i've had that same thing happen with atomic
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 03 Aug 2015 20:41

Well, no footbag for me in the past week. I'm a horrible person, I know. Been very busy with work, re-renting the shred haus, and pursuing other interests. As I type, my newly finished timelapse rig is humming away behind me, running through its paces. I'm super excited to use it. Everything on it is removable, replaceable, packable, easy to assemble/disassemble in the field, and mostly made of aluminum/steel. The programming on it is pretty hefty, but I designed it to be really easy to use and it has a ton of customizable functionality (I programmed the thing, it better have all the bells and whistles). The closest commercially available rig comes in at a whopping $2500 - I spent $78 on materials for mine, and had a lot of fun making it myself.

I also just made $80 for submitting my model train creations to one of the biggest magazines in the hobby... I did it on a whim and didn't expect to get picked for the feature (the hobby is dominated by men in their 60s who have been at it longer than I have been alive) so it was a nice surprise to beat out some genuinely impressive entries. They spelled my last name wrong, but I'm used to that...

In other news, I went hiking last weekend. I was in State College to show the apartment to prospective tennants and couldn't resist the urge to hike around Shingletown Gap again. I used to go there quite often, and I always enjoy it immensely.

I think I'll play footbag on Wednesday. Friday I'll be off to the NYFA Jam with Zach, Nick and Krystof. There, this post has footbag things in it ;)
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 05 Aug 2015 16:10

:arrow: Cold Fusion
:arrow: Sumo > SS Butterfly RPT
:arrow: Paradon > Blizzard RPT
:arrow: Nuclear Illusion BS
:arrow: Nuclear SS Butterfly

That's about it. Nyfa this weekend. Can't wait.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 05 Aug 2015 18:21

I'm really excited to kick with you this weekend. Your game sounds like it's transformed quite a bit since the last time we played. See ya Flyday. Bring your flyswatter. #awkwardjoke :|
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 05 Aug 2015 21:02

Looking good Ivan. Looking good.
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 07 Aug 2015 07:22

isirc10 wrote: :arrow: Cold Fusion
:arrow: Sumo > SS Butterfly RPT
:arrow: Paradon > Blizzard RPT
:arrow: Nuclear Illusion BS
:arrow: Nuclear SS Butterfly
Cold fusion is incredible. props.
I'll be trying that first drill this weekend.
I love the way Nuclear ss Butterfly looks, think you could hit it b2b?
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 07 Aug 2015 09:30

Thanks!

I've been thinking of Nuke drills I could probably hit soon...
Nuke SS Butter rpt is one of them, though I definitely have a side I favor when nuking out of butterfly, so that would be an area to concentrate on before tackling the b2b link.

I've found that I'm closer to Nuking out of Paradon than Toe Whirl... so maybe Nuke Legover > Paradon would be a cool one to throw down. That might take a week or two.

Kyle, I've also been using some of your drills/links as inspiration for my sessions. I think I'm gonna look into toe blur b2b and ripwalk b2b and push my records for those. Let's just say they are pretty pathetic at the moment. :oops:
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 07 Aug 2015 10:40

I tried your Tripwalk>Blizzard rewind combo, and was barely able to foot one side. Probably have better odds on fresh legs. Nuking out of butter is something I should really be working on too. I couldn't imagine it from whirl or pardon though another area where your game far exceeds mine.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 09 Aug 2015 21:29

Happy Drew's Alive Day.
#DrewLivesMatter

That needed to be posted. Other things will follow. Nyfa knows how to host.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 12 Aug 2015 18:11

Well, the jam was super fun, but I'm lazy so there won't be a write up. Hell, I already spent 8 hours editing a video. Speaking of which, I don't think I've had so much fun editing a video since the Riverrock one I did last year. I also did that one the day after I returned from the tournament, so I still remembered the shots I took. I'm starting to think that I subconsciously sort and prioritize footage in my mind before I even get to cutting and editing it, because when I get to editing, everything just falls into place perfectly. I'm sure you think I'm making this up, but clips just fit in their natural places within a song without me really having to do much to them. It's happened for a few videos now, so it can't just be a lucky coincidence. Maybe I'm finally getting better at the whole video editing workflow. I know I certainly spent more time fine tuning things like color balance and timing in this video than previous ones.

I kicked today with Kat. I enjoy these sessions as I tend to play really well. I think it's partly because I change my mindset from drilling to runs/big tricks, which is a nice change of pace. We also kick at an elementary school in Radnor, which gives me about 30 minutes while I drive to get in the mindset for kicking after working all day.

After some tips from El Kemino last weekend, I suddenly got better at pdx whirls and barflies. The whirls are starting to feel way more controlled now that I am focusing more on the set/turn rather than the dex. I also confirmed that the recent knee/hip discomfort I was feeling after doing whirls was from bringing my right knee up too high. As long as I keep it down (well, I can lift it a bit, but not as much as I had been doing) I don't have any pain and my landings are better timed. This timely adjustment ought to keep me from getting injured. As for barflies... I realized how much time I have to do them if my set is straight and I pivot and raise my knee early. I should really think about pushing myself to get that same timing with paradons, which have been frustrating lately.

:arrow: Alpine Atomsmasher BS
:arrow: Tombstone BS
:arrow: Stepping SS Osis B2B

I'm going to be honest, these highlights are just the tip of the iceberg. I feel like people are impressed by the big tricks, but they aren't gonna be the immediate factors in my game... I've been doing a lot of work with pdx whirls and barflies that don't make the highlights, but they make me feel way better about where I'm headed. The new tricks are certainly nice "reward" tricks, but I think they can certainly be misleading when people expect me to hit them in a circle
and I know I can't because the moment I hit it, I realized that I needed to work on the individual components before I can hit it again. I'd say that it's almost like "responsible add hunting" where you stretch your limits and then fill in the gaps to make them less of a stretch the next time you go to hit that trick.

Anyway, that's enough typing. Time to go stitch.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 13 Aug 2015 06:50

Your copy/paste skills are through the roof, Ivan ;) :P And even though you told me about the Tomb and Alpine Atom, I'm more excited about the Stepping Osis b2b. Keep practicing that. It shows a lot of control.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 13 Aug 2015 06:57

What can I say, I'm a Ctrl C > Ctrl V master. Why write something twice when you've already written it once :)
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 14 Aug 2015 05:49

isirc10 wrote: :arrow: Alpine Atomsmasher BS
:arrow: Tombstone BS
:arrow: Stepping SS Osis B2B

I'm going to be honest, these highlights are just the tip of the iceberg. I feel like people are impressed by the big tricks, but they aren't gonna be the immediate factors in my game
Word. Tombstone is one I just hit both sides my last session too. I've also been trying Stepping SS Osis b2b records, Such a fundamental link. I don't know how you manage to duck atomics so easily.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 14 Aug 2015 08:59

Kyle,

I wouldn't say I'm ducking them easily... I still have to try a lot to get the required set height. It's just after you do a lot of atomsmashers and blurs, the mirage motion becomes automatic - regardless if there is a duck in front of it or not. It will still be a while till I can hit that stuff in strings though.

I ducked my first atomic set close to two years ago, but it was only one side and pretty strenuous - I also learned ducking from toe because I couldn't get my clipper sets high enough at first, so it really comes as no surprise that I'm starting to duck atomics.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 16 Aug 2015 19:21

Dang yo, bouta be passing me on that Atomic hype. You are really fucking good, make a damn video. Or send me footage, and I'll poop one out for ya, or keep it for my viewing pleasures :wink: Seriously cannot wait to play with ya properly!
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 19 Aug 2015 16:43

Oh Derek, there will be a video, don't worry.

Kicked with MIKE TOOLAN last Saturday. Had an okay session, was glad to hit fusion and blurriest (almost) on command.

Had an insane session today. Insanely bad. Couldn't hit anything consistently other than toe kicks... Played through it, but had to take breaks often to keep myself from throwing bags, screaming curses, kicking water bottles. It was quite unproductive, but I hit some stuff I'd like to revisit when I have a more positive mindset.

:arrow: (Stepping SS Mirage > SS Butterfly) x 4
:arrow: (Drifter > Osis > Osis) x 4

First session in a while where I seriously considered quitting and going home after every attempted drill/run. If I this was my first year playing, I probably would have quit this stupid game. I used to believe that grinding through shitty sessions was beneficial, but I'm starting to wonder if they are doing damage to my mental game. In soccer and hockey, it was easy - if you are having an off day and you suck, you either get benched or you draw on your team mates for help. Here, I'm missing tricks I've hit tens of thousands of times before, and have no idea why, or how to fix things.
Paradon is a great example. I feel really comfortable going for it mid string, and expect to hit a BOP or 2 add out of it, no sweat. Recently, I've had a really shitty time with my strong side, and it's starting to make me hate that trick. It's not like I've got horrible form on it, Matt Kemmer tells me I should be hitting it every time, but it's not happening. I've filmed myself doing it, and it looks like the roadblock is purely mental. I think the loss of confidence in the trick isn't helping, and it's starting to affect how I practice barflies as well.
But enough whining. I should just be thankful that I have the opportunity to spend my time playing footbag. Going to play again Saturday evening. Probably solo.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 20 Aug 2015 16:22

I've seen your game progress since the very beginning, and so I feel rather confident in saying that you have a knack for overcoming mental roadblocks. I know you'll work it out, and probably sooner rather than later.

In other news, props on that stepping ss mirage drill. I think I'll try that next session.
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 20 Aug 2015 16:30

To paraphrase our great leader Eminem:
In times like these, when your knees are weak and your palms are sweaty... mom's spaghetti.

Thanks, it's a good drill. The original one Matt suggested was legbeater>stepping ss mirage, but there was no way I was hitting that yesterday.
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 21 Aug 2015 04:43

isirc10 wrote:To paraphrase our great leader Eminem:
In times like these, when your knees are weak and your palms are sweaty... mom's spaghetti.
I dunno, it's just the way I am.
Matt Kemmer

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Aug 2015 10:45

Matt K wrote:
isirc10 wrote:To paraphrase our great leader Eminem:
I dunno, it's just the way I am.
^I don't think that's the real Slim Shady

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog