Khoa Nguyen's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Re: Khoa Nguyen's footblog - Drilling Osis

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 25 May 2014 16:51

Cass wrote:Well I'm gonna be at the PA net champs next weekend so you should probably come to that ;) Otherwise I already have all my events planned for the summer! I doubt another trip to PA will be feasible.

Nice video! Crazy tiltless football shred. The run with all the pixie tricks was sick!
Thanks Cass! :wink: :D :D :D
Hmm actually yes I might try going to that. I have no idea if Megabus runs there so I don't know if I can, but I will try. That's a promise!
I actually went out and tried all the requirements for the Level 1 badge today, and got some of the requirements. I will still need:

:arrow: same outside kick x6 BS
:arrow: mixed kicks x20, use all 4 kicks BS at least once.
:arrow: same illusion x4
:arrow: same butterfly x4 BS (left side)
:arrow: mixed dexes x10, use butterfly BS + 2 toe dex BS at least once.
:arrow: toe stall > swap x3 BS
:arrow: toe stall > jam x3
:arrow: inside stall > wrap x3 BS
:arrow: rake x3 BS
:arrow: osis x6 (Not happening in about 2 more months :x :cry: :oops: )
:arrow: clipper > flying clipper > toe stall, 3 tries in a row BS
:arrow: clipper > pincher > pickup, 3 tries in a row BS

Time to train!

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 May 2014 22:50

anhkhoashevakt wrote: :arrow: osis x6 (Not happening in about 2 more months :x :cry: :oops: )
Dude, you should film yourself doing Osis from a few different angles. Then send the footage to Matt Kemmer. He said he would critique PSU footage. I think that could benefit you.

Also, keep trying to finish level 1 badge. I think it's really beneficial. I am doing it too ;) Just gotta find time to do that instead of train other stuff. Maybe tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll see you and some others at PA Net Champs next weekend.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 26 May 2014 05:10

anhkhoashevakt wrote: Newest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M05IIq1NCSY
Very cool stuff in there....I really enjoyed that!

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 26 May 2014 16:36

bobgreen wrote:
anhkhoashevakt wrote: Newest video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M05IIq1NCSY
Very cool stuff in there....I really enjoyed that!
thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it! :D :D :D :D

Today, I got these:

:arrow: mixed kicks x20, use all 4 kicks BS at least once.
:arrow: mixed dexes x10, use butterfly BS + 2 toe dex BS at least once.
:arrow: same butterfly x4 BS (left side)
:arrow: toe stall > jam x3

Remaining stuff until level 1:

:arrow: same outside kick x6 BS
:arrow: same illusion x4
:arrow: inside stall > wrap x3 BS

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 27 May 2014 18:23

Stuff that remains until level 1:

Getting there!

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 28 May 2014 04:10

damn, your almost there on level 1! can't wait to see it. good job dude.
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 28 May 2014 12:03

Whoohoo! You got it man!
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 29 May 2014 19:24

Thanks everyone!

Today: got :arrow: rake x3 BS

Stuff until level 1:

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 08 Jul 2014 19:59

Sorry for not posting a whole lot lately. Haven't actually achieved a lot of things in footbag, unfortunately. Haven't kicked at all this week in particular, because I have to do a lot of last trainings for the US Freestyle Soccer Competition in Seattle this week.

I just discovered that when I toe stall on my right side, I don't do the motion by my knee, but with my foot instead. As a result, my right toe stall has been very shaky. I'm setting my goal to get it back by the end of the summer.

Some things I have achieved recently:

:arrow: 2 Osii - combo.
:arrow: Barrage (left side). Will try to follow this up and train barrage right side.
:arrow: Double Around the World on left side
:arrow: Double Orbit left side
:arrow: DATW BSOS
:arrow: Double Orbit (left) - combo - DATW (right)

I will continue training more when I get back from the US Freestyle Soccer Comps this weekend. Actually, when I'm there in Seattle, I may get in contact with the RCS Crew as well, just to see what's up with them!

DC Clinks
BSOS Beast

Post by DC Clinks » 08 Jul 2014 21:06

Have fun in Seattle! Sounds like a really cool time. Your freestyle soccer (football? Not sure of the proper terminology haha) skills are epic. Congrats on all the orbit/ ATW/ other dexey things! Orbits are kinda becoming my favorite thing to do now that I sort of understand them.

I tried some double orbits on my right side for kicks the other day, didn't even get close! Guess I should master just doing one orbit first lol.

Hope to kick with you again soon. I'll try not to fall asleep in the car again haha :)
-Daniel C. NY, USA. "Sacrifice a goat to our Lord and Savior Evan Gatesman".

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 08 Jul 2014 23:15

Good luck with the freestyle football, great timing having it around the World Cup. I'm hoping to go to the Australian titles here, I think they are in October.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 14 Jul 2014 12:50

Hey guys!

What a weekend. I couldn't believe everything that has taken place. I'm still feeling like I'm in a dream, which I as well may be because of the lack of sleep and everything.
So, in short, I won both Routines and Battles this year, and have officially became the new USA Freestyle Soccer Champion.
Couldn't believe it! Everyone did soooo well. It was only the matter of luck that I came out on top. Everyone there deserved to be recognized. US Freestyle Soccer scene is looking up! I was very happy and pleasantly surprised!

There were 2 judges who flew all the way from Europe to judge the competition. One of the was Pawel Skora, the one everybody agrees to be the most legendary football freestyler there is. If there is one description for him I can think of, it'd be the "Vasek Klouda of the freestyle football world"!

He landed the equivalent of Atomic Far Eggbeater (and combo it too) with the ball, as well as Pigbeater - Fairy (far) Eggbeater with a ball. Was just mesmerized to watch him in person.

In other news, I met Justin and the rest of the Seattle Rain City Shred crew, and had a super fun time with them. I shred a bit with Dan and Reilley, and Justin showed me how to relace my Lavers so that my toe box becomes better.

This is just the beginning. I will update the entire thing after Tuesday of next week (one week and a day from now).

In short, this is the best thing that has ever happened to me in my life, period.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 Jul 2014 12:55

anhkhoashevakt wrote: So, in short, I won both Routines and Battles this year, and have officially became the new USA Freestyle Soccer Champion.

Whaaaaaaaaaaa?!?!?! 8O 8O 8O 8O

Video please. And mega super duper props! :D

Ryan_Morris
Multidex Master

Post by Ryan_Morris » 14 Jul 2014 12:57

I cannot give you enough props for this, Khoa. You are amazing.
Ryan Morris

PSU crew, ECFU, Michigan Footbag, and counting.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 14 Jul 2014 13:08

Wow, that's incredible. Congratulations!!!

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 14 Jul 2014 13:13

Congrats Khoa! You definitely deserve it! :D
Can't wait to kick with you back in State College, champ!
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 14 Jul 2014 13:15

Thank you guys. I feel so honored and happy! :D :D :D
I could not believe it myself! It was a surreal experience. Felt like I was dreaming.
My friends have recorded the footage and will upload them as soon as they are able.
I will post it on here soon, as well as the detail account of everything that happened there. :D :D :D :D :D :D

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 Jul 2014 13:32

felicitaciones, campeon! Great to hear the freestyle football scene is picking up there, and that you are at the top! That's awesome.

anhkhoashevakt
Shredalicious

Post by anhkhoashevakt » 14 Jul 2014 16:28

ah what tha hell... seeing how everyone of my football fsers friends have already gone home and left me behind :( :? :lol: :lol: :lol: , I will take this opportunity to write out the first part of my journey to the US Freestyle Soccer competition this year.

Needless to say, this is definitely not a footbag only experience, and if anyone of you guys don't care about fs football at all ( :( ), it's completely fine to ignore the next couple entries altogether :lol: . However, if anyone of you guys still want to read this, I will provided to you the background (in fs football) as I write so that you guys will hopefully understand and enjoy the things I'm about to jot down. But still, if I happen to miss anything an this become an incomprehensible mess, please feel free to ask a lot of questions so that I will be able to provide you guys with all the necessary details!

OK, here goes...

1. Thursday, 07/10/2014

After finishing lab, I immediately came home and get all my things together. I got to the airport at 5:00 P.M, just 20 minutes before boarding. After a very quick check in, I got into the plane from State College to Philadelphia, and it finally took off.

On the plane, I reviewed the list of things I know about the comp:

1/ It will take place in the International District in Seattle
2/ Two judges flying from Europe will judge: Soufiane Bencok and Pawel Skora.

* Time out! Before going any further I have to explain why # 2 is sooooo significant:
In contrast with freestyle footbag, which is fairly straightforward with people standing up and dexing from clipper and toe stalls, freestyle footballl actually have 4 different categories of tricks:

1. Lowers (or "Airmoves", "Air combos" etc): are the tricks that are done with one's legs while standing up. Yes! These are actually footbag tricks done with a ball, except that we haven't explored to the maximum limit the clipper tricks yet. Most of the lower tricks in freestyle football are toe tricks, and unsurprisingly, there are some tricks that bear great similarity to footbag tricks. I will definitely explain more to any of you guys who are still interested, but for the purpose of this post, let's move on.
Lowers is the most popular category of freestyle, with people practicing it as the main style far exceeds the 3 other categories, which are:

2. Uppers: tricks done with the upper parts of the body: head, neck, shoulders, chest, sidehead, eyes, lip... these involve stalls with the upper parts of the body. Very hard to do with a bag because the bag does not roll very well, making the transition between each stalls incredible difficult. I tried doing uppers with a bag once, and let's just say it did not really work out. :lol:

3. Sitdowns: tricks done while lying down. Involve a wide variety of dexes done while the practitioner is sitting down. There is also a subcategory of this style called "sole tricks" which involve stalls using the sole of the foot while lying down.

4. Ground moves: this is sometimes not considered a real freestyle category because it relates more to street soccer. Basically it's dribbling the ball using movements that confuse an opponent and left them vulnerable for what called a "panna" aka. the ball goes between the opponent's legs from one side to the other, which is considered the worst form of humiliation in street soccer.

So why am I telling you all this?

Because Pawel Skora, one of the judges, is the absolute master of the lower style. He released this video called "Skora Air Moves 1" back in 2005-2006 and absolutely owned everyone at that particular style because of how hard the moves displayed in it were. Sounds familiar? Yep! Vasek did the same thing with footbag a while back. In fact, these guys are so similar that I consider Skora the "Vasek Klouda of freestyle football".

Also, Soufiane Bencok, the other judge, is the absolute master of ground moves, and street soccer for that matter. The things that he can pull out on the ground is just crazy, and he is an absolute beast at giving people panna. In fact, he won the whole panna competition in a major freestyle competition.

So now could you imagine how excited I was? :lol:

Besides that, I will be 3/ meeting a lot of football freestylers, people that I haven't met in ages, alongside people who I would meet for the first time at this meeting. Needless to say the plane ride, even though it was only 1 hr from SC to Philly, was a torturously long experience for me.

After getting to Philly, I practiced some light freestyle moves in the airport to "warm up" for the competition and to get my conditions ready for it. I didn't go for anything too crazy, but it definitely felt good because it released a lot of the anxiety I had.

1 hr and a half later, I began to board the plane from Philly to Seattle, and if it's like what's scheduled, I would be arriving in Seattle at 11:31 P.M on Thursday.

Needless to say, something had to go horribly wrong.

After 2 hrs of the plane taxiing and me waiting for the plane to take off (which felt like 2 centuries in my perspective), the captain finally announced that due to a weather condition, the flight has been delayed and the plane had to be brought back to the terminal to be refueled.

On hearing that, I literally yelled: "F......." (don't worry it was in Vietnamese and nobody seemed to know what it meant :lol: ) so loud I startled the guy beside me (needless to say I apologized to him afterwards). I only had 4 days in Seattle, I told myself, and now God was going to take some of that time away from me too. I didn't know how long the next flight was going to be scheduled, and by the way this is going, I might even miss a chunk of time on Friday that I could be meeting my friends. I was dissapointed and tired at the same time, and had to resort to buy a tuna sandwich and gulped it down before thinking anything else.

However, after that, the situation improved. The announcer said that it might be possible that the plane would take off later that night, so even if I missed being in Seattle on Thursday night, I would be there early Friday morning. Needless to say I was very glad to hear that, because that was the next best thing that could have happened. So I texted Noah Garrabrant, my football freestyler friend in Seattle, to tell him the situation, and it sure felt good to have someone to share the news with.

In the time of waiting, I did some basic juggling the ball. It sure felt good to finally got some control over the ball again after so long a period of stagnation due to my juggling problem.

* Clarification: I had been having this annoying juggling problem in which my left leg decided to curve inward every time it touches the ball, messing up the juggling rhythm and severely damaging my lowers ability. In January of this year, I could not juggle past 10! However, with perseverance, the problem seemed to have mitigated somewhat, but I won't rest until I got this completely under control.

So, finally, after 2 hrs of waiting, the boarding began again, and this time the plane took off, and headed for its destination. I closed my eyes for my much needed rest, and awaited my waking up... in Seattle.

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 14 Jul 2014 17:34

I am anxiously waiting for the next installment of your write-up!

Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?