FuteBlaug (PSU)

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Re: FuteBlaug (PSU)

Post by krustykrakk » 19 Aug 2014 16:58

Woo! Thanks, peeps! I cannot wait until East Coasts so we can kick once more! I thought the last link of the video was cool as well. I thought it was so cool, in fact, that I hit it both sides today!

I tried again for the unusual badge. Unless I got the rules wrong again, I am pretty sure I got Gold +3. This one took a few tries and consisted of 8 tricks, 7 of which were BSOS'd (I dropped on the last one.)

The session today was great. It was just April and me. She has been rocking it lately with fairies. Her instant grasp of the set and her ability to hit just about any trick she knows BS is astounding. It's crazy, like bad. Bad as in she must die.

Assassination conspiracies aside, I did alright today. Other than filming for the badge, I mostly worked on pixies.

I am super excited for East Coasts. However, I have not even attempted to work on my routine. I have the song picked out and have an idea of how I am going to jive with it but have not even tried kicking to it yet. I realize most players practice and practice them a long time beforehand but it;ll be my first routine ever and I just want to see what it's like.

Highlights:
-Flapper > near calf roll BS (New on flip)
-Stepping ss clipper BS (new)
-Footed flip clipper DLO
-Footed Muted toe inspinning rooted toe (Post-session shenanigans)
-Dimwalk > Pdx mirage Rpt.
-Toe diving toe (New strong side only)
-Footed ducking refraction
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 19 Aug 2014 17:22

Ok, folks.

This qualifies for Unusual Silver. As I mentioned in my last post, I was trying for Gold and then some but I fudged up on rooted legover. I did them completely wrong. Other than that, the rest was good but I told Ianek that I will try once again.

Here is my video. Please excuse the incorrect rooted legovers.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP1MhI0kAUQ[/youtube]
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 21 Aug 2014 12:16

Hi, gang!
I was hoping for some feedback on hitting toe whirls BS. I would like to strengthen my whirls from all angles: toes, toes ss, clipper, pdx, duck etc. I have only ever hit whirls from same clippers and think I need help with them. If you anyone has any constructive critism or general advice to give, please do. :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySRyfDONaLM[/youtube]
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 21 Aug 2014 12:27

How are your clipper whirls? Can you do them at least x3 bs?

Your dex looks okay but the bag placement is all wrong. Set the bag to your clipper so you don't have to reach for it.

Matt K
Flower Child

Post by Matt K » 21 Aug 2014 12:30

Your motion is pretty OK; I think you're real problem is timing when to start your dex. If you watch the high speed portions of your clip, you can almost imagine a clean dex happening if the bag were higher than it really was. If you get into your whirl position faster, as soon as you set, you'll have a pretty good shot at it.

The next problem you'll run into will probably have to do with that flair out that your delay foot does towards the end of the trick, but the timing thing will definitely get you off to a better start.

(And I'm sorry that I haven't gotten to do your butterfly/osis video; it's still on the to-do list)
Matt Kemmer

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 21 Aug 2014 16:30

Cass:
I have tried to hit consecutive whirls b2b once but ended up with whirl > whiz. I have not tried it since :oops: Thanks for the advice!

I started hitting whirl around this time last year, practiced them for a month or two then abandoned them as Nick and I felt as though I was not yet proficient enough with more basic tricks. I just picked whirls up again recently as per suggestion by Ivan. I got excited to get good at whirl tricks after watching Ryan T hit mullet and whirlwind at the ArtsFest Jam.

Matt:
Thanks also for the advice. The foot flair is something I noticed with regular whirls but put a stop to them by trying to laser my clipper directly to the stall. I find this harder to do with toe whirl due to the quick switch, hip turn, and whirl dex altogether.

I will work on the timing, turn, clipper, and just getting better at clipper whirls in time. Thanks, again friends!
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 25 Aug 2014 00:37

Hello.

Today is when the school year starts. It’s weird not being in school and hearing all of my friends talk about classes. My job is going to pick up this morning with my orders basically tripling. I went in on Saturday to help out a girl who needed the day of in order to move in. Many people moved in that day as I ended up working for 10.5 hours. I also moved in the day before which, between all of the trips to and from the stores, new apartment, old apartment, stairs, and stairs, took 13 hours.

We did have a session on Saturday. It was April, Khoa, Aidan and me. Ryan showed up right at the end just in time to join us for some Austrian cuisine at a place in downtown State College called Herwig’s. In order to get food from there, one must at least attempt to pronounce the names of the dishes correctly. I got the wurstplatte and shared bacon/chocolate cheesecake with April for desert. They also yell at you if you don’t finish your food. We all cleaned our plates as the food was delicious so this was not an issue. As we were all finishing up, Ivan showed up. It is awesome to see him walking around. He still wears a smaller ankle brace but can bike which is huge for him.

The session was awesome. Despite being dead tired and sore, I didn’t play too badly. I put off filming for the unusual badge and focused a lot on pixies. I didn't really touch whirls. It was a few days since I last played so I didn’t over-exert myself; this was also a result of my stamina being completely fucked. After the session and food session, we all (except Adian) headed to shredhaus and hung out.
It was a good time. 8)

Highlights:
-clipper > weaving knee bump
-Defraction BSOS (my “revfraction” concept is already a trick, new)
-Dyno BS (new!!!! I hit this a lot; feels good.)
-Magellan x3 (new record, I need to hit weak B2B now)
-Magellan BSOS (new)
-Pixie defraction (not new, just sort of neat)
-Refraction > defraction (new, felt cool)
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 25 Aug 2014 02:51

krustykrakk wrote:They also yell at you if you don’t finish your food.
I think that is just amazing.

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 25 Aug 2014 15:09

Cass: Eh, it is a silly gimmick. Sadly(?) we all cleaned our plates.

Today was another long work day followed immediately by footbag.
I had a decent a session but my stamina was gone. On the flip side, I did some cool things...

Highlights:
-Osis x6 (not new, I executed it with OK form even though a flock o sorrostitutes walked waaay too close to me in the midst of it)
-Dyno BSOS (new, I hit it a few times during the session but cannot B2B it. I need to slow it down/turn more)
-Refraction > ss defraction (new with the ss component)
-Rev whirl (new, strong only. I tried strong but ended up bailing into a the ugliest butter in the Western Hemisphere)
-Footed spinning osis
-Pixie pickup BS (not new)

Not footbag
-Spinning inside kick with a ball
-Footed eggbeater with a ball
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 28 Aug 2014 15:42

Hi!
I done been at it again!

My boss decided to let me go from work early today since it was not that busy, my part-time helper is getting good, and I think they want to avoid paying me overtime. Today I worked for about 6.5 hours but every other day this week was 10.5 hours.

After work, I took a nap. It was amazing. I woke up, had a few beers, read some comics, then went to an impromptu session with April and Ryan. I played pretty shittily but almost hit spinning osis a few times. My focus since I have been working has shifted a bit from trying to perfect pixies to being lazy and hitting lots of osis tricks. Learning dyno was inspiring and repeating far osis on both sides feels sex especially after/before other osis tricks. I threw in a few pdx mirages today and did some butters. Ok, maybe more than a few butters.

Ryan left the session after an hour to practice his routine. I'd like to take that as a wake-up call for my own routine but care so little about it. I have been putting thought into some links and how I can jive to the song. I have off on labor day, so maybe I can do some stuffs with it then.

Highlights:
-Osis tricks > (far osisx2)
-Been hitting a bunch of shmoes lately.
-Clipper > far legover > legover > clipper rpt (Everyone in the club has little tiltless drills they bail to or repeat when showing off to a crowd. Maybe this can be mine)
-Atw > orbit > legover rpt (the flip part of this drill is embarrassingly unpolished for how simple it is)
-Footed spinning osis three times, I think
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 29 Aug 2014 16:04

What's happenen, cheeses?

There was a concert welcomey freshmany thingy in front of the HUB today. I went with April to kick and soon after, Khoa showed up followed by Ivan. It was a relaxed session with two seemingly interested new players. "Relaxed" may not be the right word since the music was obnoxious and there were a ton of people, but I had a good time kicking.

My legs were super sore from all the work and kicking this week but I thought I'd kick today and take tomorrow completely off from everything. I have the day off from work and need a day for my legs to rest.... although, if I am feeling up to it, I might work on my routine a bit in the evening.

I want to get an acceptable routine together for EC just for the sake of performing my first one. I realized today that I only have a few weeks. If I stop procrastinating, I may just make one that is not just toes and insides.

Back to the session. It was great. I had a few good BOP-centered strings where the only tiltless bail I used was legover. I hit some stuff, gained some insight to my flip pixie, and even managed to watch a bunny* eat a piece of popcorn on the way home!

I am now enjoying a beer and am about to rerererererewatch Ken's new video. Props to Ken for being a total badass and also to Ivan for being the third most Russian person I have ever met. The video made me so happy for the thought of being in a circle with that guy in a few weeks.

Also, I am super stoked to see The Misfits with mah main homie Nick Poohbearlini. I think Nathan Pipecleaner is coming back to PA in December which I am also thankful for. I am also thankful for the Michigan Jam and Jamps V. Happy Thanksgiving!

Highlights:
-Spinning Osis (new, sloppy finish)
-A few runs with lots-o-BOP and little else
-A few osis-based runs
-Smear BSOS (not new)
-Easy Ripwalk BSOS (still far from B2B but am trying a few stepping ss clippers each session)
-A few infinity > ss butter rpt runs
-Pickup > mirage rpt (after dropping about five pickups in a row [strong side] :oops: )...I should drill this a lot more
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 01 Sep 2014 13:15

Hi!
I have been busy these last two days!

Yesterday, April and I went to BestBuy where I purchased my first smart phone ever as well as a vacuum! The phone is amazing to me although it is only a 50 dollar pay-as-you-go phone. The vacuum is pretty dope as well.

Today, April, Joe (who lives at Shredhaus but is a non-kicker,) and I went to Altoona to pick up April's and my first pet together! He is a six month old chincnilla.

He is named after a footbag trick. I will not give away his name but will let you, the reader, guess it based on the actual name of the trick.

His name is the nickname of Atomic Symposium Whirl.

Here is a picture:

On to footbag!
Today was one of the worst days in state college in terms of humidity. It wasn't even that hot, just horribly humid. Cass mentioned in a previous blog post that the ArtsFest Jam at Penn State this summer was super bad. Today was way worse, trust me Cassy. I am showered. My shred shirt, however, is soaked to the bone. We only kicked for a little longer than an hour then peaced.

Ryan and I gave each other little sneak previews of our respective EC routines. I need to do some work.

My left pixie has been worse than usual all last week and today. I think I have a shin splint there which is odd because I never get them. Working a lot might have something to do with it. The closest I get to shin splints are sore shins after I shred but they don't last past a day. These have been sticking around. I have been trying new things so I guess I have to just clean up my form on them.

My best strings today were osis-based. I did a bunch of BOP but had a ton sweet, sweet osis combos!

Highlights:
-Far osis B2B2B BSOS (new, dizzy)
-Far osis > osis rpt (new, first try, easy, need more reps!)
-Refraction > far osis BSOS (new)
-Refraction B2B BS (new, not sauce :()
-Park walk BSOS (not new, just haven't hit in a while)
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 01 Sep 2014 13:24

Nice rodent. I have no idea what the name is. My footbag terminology game is weak.

It doesn't surprise me about the humidity. It wasn't even humid around these parts during the artsfest jam but this past weekend was probably one of the most humid ones all summer.

Are you wearing comfortable shoes for work? Consider investing in some decent insoles for walking around and stuff.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 01 Sep 2014 19:31

You named him Gary Coleman!??!!? Hahahaha You're awesome!!!!!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 09 Sep 2014 00:19

Yes. The name of the quirky, little creature is Gary Coleman. April was cycling though footbag trick names and it came down to that or Blackula.

Put your left ear on your shoulder and look at this picture.

April and I have accumulated a wealth of knowledge between the two of us, regarding chinchillas. I would be happy to answer any questions as they are very unique.

Facts: Humans have 1 to 2 hairs per follicle. Chinchillas can have 50 to 80. Because of this, their fur is very sensitive towards water, making their fur fall out. To "bath" and remove excess oils, they roll around in volcanic ash for up to 15 minutes per day.

I also played footbag.

Saturday was interesting. I had a session with April, Ryan, Khoa, Aidan, and two FS Footballers Noah and Jacob. I had already met Jacob but not Noah. They both are good at Football.

The joint session was cool even though I had an off day. It was the first time kicking since Monday for me and it showed.

I hit nothing except for far osis x5 on strong side and x4 on weak.

Shitty session aside, I had a great drill session with the April last night! We went out behind our apartment to give a new spot a shot. It was bad. Uneven surfaces and lots of cars was annoying. We both got by it and managed to make some cool progress. I started off with basic links, like butterf;y > pdx mirage > mirage rpt then moved on to BOP then moved on to osis (as April noticed my struggles with hitting pdx mirage out of osis and I realized that my toe ss butter is worse that clipper ss butter... weird.

April took some video of me doing osis things. On this video, I almost doubled my osis record. What once was 6 is now 11.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCzu5JbLtWE[/youtube]

Highlights:
-Osis x11 (new)
-Cool osis links
-Various cool/basic drills
-Dizziness from ots of far osis b2b
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 12 Sep 2014 00:07

Good morning!
I had a session at Old Main yesterday with April, new guy Andrew, and Juggling Club. It wasn't too bad and my legs were relatively fresh. I didn't do anything amazing but caught a passer-by's attention and allowed her to film me. Such flatter. I have not much else to say.

Highlights:
-The full BOP drill: toe same butter > osis > pdx mirage rpt (new, milestone?)
-Footed smudge weakside (soon, flip pixie need some juice)
-Smudge (strong side, new) --This is huge for me. I never would have thought I'd hit an uptime set into illusion by the end of the year. I never ever ever practice illusions.
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Post by krustykrakk » 26 Sep 2014 12:09

Hello friends. I have been practicing for east coasts,
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

East Coasts' 2014 Write Up

Post by krustykrakk » 29 Sep 2014 06:49

Hello.

A lot has happened since my last post. I beat a few personal records and got to kick with the homeboy, Vince. I am getting better at my control and pixie is being nice to me.

Moving on. I got from New York last night with the rest of PSU. East Coast Footbag Championships was awesome. It proved to be a really fun environment with lots of people I have never met or seldom see.

Friday:

PSU and I got to Bruce's earlier than expected. We were of the first to arrive after Tristan and Boats followed soon after. After a bunch of fooling around, Hogan and Pete stumbled in. We ended up watching “Journey into the West” which turned out to be an epic story about demon hunters, greasy pig demons, and giant tiger fish demons. I tried to get a good amount of sleep but actually got to bed around 2, I think.

Saturday:

As usual, I was one of the first to wake up. Last East Coasts, I woke everyone up by accidentally kicking a wooden speaker down a set of stairs. This time, I woke everyone up by tossing footbags at Nick. His reactions were funny as he tried to sleep through it until I threw one straight at his testes. Got 'em. Nick woke the whole place up with his yelling and whimpering. I was happy to have everyone up but they all fell asleep shortly after anyway. The only person to really stay awake other than April and me was Ivan. The three of us decided to get an early start and grab some food at a cafe called “Norma's.”

The food was good and I managed to get five shots of expresso in me before we left for the event site. The Saturday site was the same as last year. I warmed up with some exciting circles with various players and then continued to do the foot thing. I played well except for the hole in the bottom of my right Laver. The left one was developing one as well which my my big toes hurt a bit. I wanted to try to avoid switching to new shoes until after the weekend but it proved impossible. I managed to finish Saturday with my old, broken in, comfortable shoes but had to switch to the new ones I brought on Sunday, boo. I performed my largely impromptu routine with the rest of intermediate and got the loudest applause. I chose “The Nomi Song” by Klaus Nomi. It might have weirded some people out because Klaus Nomi was an operatic pop singer who sang almost entirely in his high-pitched falsetto voice in the 80's. Hopefully a video of my performance comes out soon as I would like to see it, myself. I performed the routine with a brand new 8-panel Bear Bag. I traded Brian for a 32 I based off of a past design of his. The eight panel is unique in that it has four chubby triangles and four Y shapes that join them. It proved to be nice and goopey as well as good for rolls. (my perfect combo :))

Circle was fun, I guess. I like doing well in circle but don't view it as even close to distinguishing players from each other in terms of difficulty (at least in intermediate.) I upset Johnny in the first round but only because he had hardly played in the past month at all. He came back on Sunday after getting the dust off his foot and wrecked us in finals. I could complain about some things holding me back from performing my best during finals but then I'd be a crybaby.

Open routines was a lot of fun to watch. Ken and Evan both went dropless. I also enjoyed Ryan Thomas' rountine as well as Brian's and Mat's. I felt silly thinking that Ken's and Evan's were so great because neither of them practiced their routines too much; not the prelims at least.

The party was fun. I enjoyed the Shred House and the environment.

Sunday:

Waking up was hard. I coughed up a lung then got ready for the kick. We got food at a Deli which meant that my only chances for caffeine were the sugary, fatty Starbucks drinks or sugary, fatty energy drinks. I would have preferred coffee or expresso or both but in the end, went with some antioxidant fruit drink. As a result of this (and the six hours of shred the previous day) I was drained. The partying the night before left me very thirsty all day and my joints never really woke up. I played terribly during circle, I wasn't even warmed up. I expected to lose to Johnny since he kicked off the rust and saw Marc and Greg as threats. They both beat me as my heart wasn't really in it. With that being said, Marc, Greg, and especially Johnny deserve how they finished. To be brutally honest, I did not expect to lose to Greg but it came to me as no surprise. He has been killing it. He hit DLO from outside this weekend.

Derek wanted to kick with me since we didn't really kick together on Saturday. He is awesome at toe game. I feel bad for people always giving him shit about “balancing his game” with clippers and what not. He went with what comes naturally (which is common advice about trick selection) and got good at it. People might say “do more clippers” but I'm going to say “do more alpine smogs!”

Open circle was fun to watch. Adam Greenwood was kicking ass. Wow. He kicked so well in the comp. Evan, Ken, and Chris also played very well! Duh. I talked to Chris about mashed potatoes for a bit. Routines were sweet. Also, Erik Chan and Corey x3 came on Sunday. Erik gave me a big hug and started being awesome right away. I recently learned whip so I showed him. He's good at whips. Unfortunately, I had to leave for the bus around the time I saw those two.

I have just started using the phrase “Drew Martin” as a greeting. IT IS A SIGN OF THE UTMOST RESPECT.

In summation, I met new people: Andre, Chris, Brian, Ken, Haley, Brian, Evan, Jordan, Bob, Derek and Net people. All of the aforementioned peeps are friends if you were to ask me. (Sorry if I missed anybody!)

Other Notes:
Dan kicked my butt in Yu-Gi-Oh!
Hogan got whitegirl wasted.
April made lots-o-cash selling bags (footbags, not heroine)
Again, hitting Nick in his sleepytime boner with a footbag
My chinchilla's name is Gary Coleman. April and I named him after the trick (atomic symposium whirl.) I asked Evan to hit it after explaining this to him. He gave a chuckle then did it.

Highlights:
-First routine ever won first place booyah.
-crispy torque > infinity
-pixie shuffle (so, I can do this now???)
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Derek
Fearless

Post by Derek » 02 Oct 2014 17:22

krustykrakk wrote:
Derek wanted to kick with me since we didn't really kick together on Saturday. He is awesome at toe game. I feel bad for people always giving him shit about “balancing his game” with clippers and what not. He went with what comes naturally (which is common advice about trick selection) and got good at it. People might say “do more clippers” but I'm going to say “do more alpine smogs!”
I cannot state how much I love you for this.
Live, Love, Footbag

Derek Littlefield