Cass shreds - USO 2023

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Re: Feminine Freestyle

Post by Cass » 22 Sep 2013 11:47

I played footbag again today even though I probably shouldn't have.

My old injury isn't bothering me but now new things are starting to hurt :P

I was worried about not doing my routine justice at ECFC because I don't have time to make a new one. I practised it a couple times today and I'm feeling confident that I will have a new and improved version for next weekend :D

I decided that I will only play Wednesday of this week and that session will probably be mostly routine practice and maybe drilling some basics.

Here's another quick video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0694_q4kwt4[/youtube]

I also got

Ripwalk>Twirl BSOS
Drifter>Swirl rpt.

I really need to work on dialling back the intensity of my runs so I can get my string length back up.

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 26 Sep 2013 18:12

I practised on Wednesday but I never posted about it because nothing notable happened. I've been working a little on doing tiltless runs with nicer flow and style. Muted tricks are fun.

I was sort of betrayed by a friend recently. I understand why it happened but that doesn't make it suck any less. I guess I should have saw it coming. Note to self: disappointment can be avoided by setting low expectations ;)

ECFC is this weekend! Nothing is going to get me down :D

I'm really looking forward to meeting a bunch of new people and seeing some old friends that I haven’t hung out with in ages! I loveee footbag events! They never disappoint :)

I decided that since I'm only going to be in NYC for about 38 hours I need to make the most of it. I will not be sleeping more than a few hours during my visit. Luckily I have some longggg bus rides for getting caught up on sleep :P

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 28 Sep 2013 23:13

I guess I won the open routine category at ECFC. Weird.

Not many people competed.

Having a blast in NYC. So worth the journey to get here.

<3

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 29 Sep 2013 04:04

Congrats Cassy - that's a pretty big achievement. Nice work!

Jazzkid
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Jazzkid » 29 Sep 2013 06:09

your the east coast champ. HELL YEAH !!!! PROPS >>>>>It doesnt matter who did or didnt compete.........you are the WINNER!!!!!

(considering I won east coasts once......I challenge you to a east coast coast off
SHRED HARD!

Muffinman
the gimp

Post by Muffinman » 29 Sep 2013 07:23

Congrats, Cassy! Awesome news!

rjadamson
Multidex Master

Post by rjadamson » 29 Sep 2013 15:07

Cassy wrote:Note to self: disappointment can be avoided by setting low expectations ;)
It can also be avoided by choosing carefully who you associate with.

Congratulations on another great win! Cool whirling rakes.

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 30 Sep 2013 04:03

Thanks boys!

What an awesome weekend!! I want to blog all about it but unfortunately I have an assignment due at 5pm and I probably won't make it home until almost noon.

It was really neat to check out an American event for a change. It was my first time meeting many people which was kinda neat. Keeping track of names was a little tricky.

I don't think I played my best this weekend but apparently I played well enough to get mad props :P it gets a little excessive sometimes though haha.

Competition was pretty rough. The "battle" style circle event took longer than anticipated and by the time I did my routine I had already been playing for about four hours. My legs were just tired by this point and I dropped five times and overall I was just really unhappy with my performance. I had to leave the site and go for a walk after because I was pretty rattled.

When I returned Drew told me I won. This was a pretty big surprise because I didn't think I deserved it. I couldn't hold back my emotions at this point and I started bawling. Sorry Drew! Haha.. But I seriously just didn't expect to beat both Jon and Mike. They both had way more difficulty but also more drops and less choreography so I guess my win wasn't completely undeserved. I just know that I can (and previously did) do better and that was pretty frustrating.

Man these bus rides are rough though. I've spent nearly as much time travelling as I spent at the event. Still worth it but next time hopefully I can fly. There is talk of a New Years jam in NYC which would be pretty fuckin rad. It would be nice to spend a little more time seeing the city etc.

More complete write up to follow when I get a chance.

I fucking love foobag :)

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 30 Sep 2013 19:49

ECFC!!!!

Oh man where to start. The beginning I suppose.

I started my journey at 6:30 Friday evening.

5 min drive > 1 hour train > 20 minute walk > 10 hour bus ride

The bus sucked. I was just too excited/uncomfortable to get any sleep. Luckily there were several rest stops to stretch my legs and use stationary toilets. That definitely made it bearable.

I got questioned a bunch at customs which was kinda weird. It's funny cause I told the guard I won at worlds and he asked "so you're like a professional?" and my response was "well I don't make money doing it". That’s not completely true anymore :D

I finally got to sleep as the sun started coming up.

I arrived at Port Authority bus station about 45 minutes late at 7:45. Jon offered to pick me up at the station but I was pretty worried I would never find him and my phone was not functional across the border.

I needed change for a pay phone and caffeine to wake me up a bit. I asked the girl for some change and was like "just give me a loonie and the rest quarters" and then I felt pretty silly. The girl thought it was cute.

Dollar bills are irritating. So are pennies. Get with it America ;)

I never did get through to Jon on the pay phone and had just started to wander aimlessly when I heard my name. It was Jon! Apparently our timing was pretty good because he hadn't been there too long. Port Authority is huge so I'm glad he found me pretty easily.

I dropped my bag off in Jon’s car and we went for a walk around a bit of the city since it was my first time in NYC and we had some time to kill. I got to see Time Square and some other touristy things. It was a good opportunity to talk to Jon about various things. I really enjoyed that.

We drove to the event site and arrived pretty early – around 11? Some net players were there but no freestylers yet, as expected. I went to clean myself up in the rather grimy nearby public washroom. I'm pretty sure there was a lady doing heroin or something similar in one of the stalls. I tried to ignore that.

I grabbed some bananas and a super greasy breakfast sandwich at a nearby market and hung around the event site for a while. It was a pretty chill morning overall.

Freestylers started to trickle in during the afternoon. I met a lot of new people at this event! It was awesome but tricky to remember all the names.

I think I played my best at the beginning of the day Saturday. The playing surface wasn't really ideal; kinda dirty and uneven. No big deal though I guess.

Drew ended up running and MCing all the competition stuff. It was a little rough but I give him credit for trooping through it even though he hadn't slept Friday night due to some kinds of questionable adventures.

They did the battle style event in place of circle. It ended up taking a pretty long time. I competed in open against Dan who kicked my butt. I had a couple okay runs but choked at the end like always :P His difficulty was way higher anyways so I didn't have a chance :D

I wrote a bit about my routine in the previous post. It sucked to see Dan bail on his very first trick and scratch from the event. I got to go last and I watched Jon and Toolan perform. They did lots of hard tricks compared to my routine and I figured I only had a chance if I killed my routine. That certainly didn't happen but I guess I did well enough. I really didn`t expect to win.

Eventually it got too dark to play and the usual footbagger indecision took place. Normally in these situations I try to take the lead and initiate happenings but being in a new city I had to rely on others to get me get places etc. Most people needed to go back to Bruces but I had my stuff so I went with Drew to hang out at Ben's place. I was kinda hoping everyone would get back together to hang out but we ended up being split in two groups for the evening because the subway wasn't running for some reason.

I got some greasy pizza with Drew and then we met up with Ben and ended up grabbing some more food at a nearby pub. While we were there Hogan, Pete and Boats met up with us. I had only met Drew and Pete prior to this event. It was awesome chilling with these guys. We all hung out on the roof of Ben`s place which has a killer view of NYC. We drank beers and smoked things and Hogan complained about the battle event. We played a little hack and some other residents of the building abandoned some cupcakes and beers which were consumed by our group. The cupcakes were sub-par at best. There was also some chucking of various bbq meats.

Such a fun time!! After we had been chilling on the roof for a while MC arrived and we went downstairs to meet him. Back in Ben's apartment Drew promptly fell asleep and the fun began. I've seen many photos of this phenomenon but this was the first time I got to witness it first-hand. That boy sure can sleep. It got pretty out of hand. Drew ended up covered in stuff and taped to the chair. At one point he kinda stirred and tried to move and then faintly said "oh noo…" and evidently accepted his fate and went back to sleep.

Pete, Kevin and Boatz left and I scored a pretty comfy couch to sleep on. When I woke up Drew had already escaped the chair. He was kinda rattled about it and I can't really blame him. Sorry bro but it was hella entertaining.

Matt, Ben, Drew and I went for breakfast at this place that had kind of a crazy menu. I got a lemon-blueberry pancake thing and bacon which was all pretty delicious. No one else seemed to be satisfied with their food and the coffee was pretty bad but whatevz I just like being with footbag people.

I was happy not to have to worry about competition on Sunday. The battle comps finished up but I didn't really pay too much attention tbh. What I did watch was mostly disappointing cause everyone tries to go to hard and then drops right away. I do remember one sweet 30+ contact run from Polini and Outsider had some really good runs also.

I think my favourite circle of the weekend to play in was with Hogan, Polini and Cross. So awesome.

At one point I grabbed Ben and got some one on one time with him. I've never played with him so that was really cool. Didn't last long enough though cause he wanted to watch the competition.

Near the end of the day Saturday there was only one circle left. It was Matt K, John Goode, Dave and Toolan. It was pretty jokes playing with these guys. So much 'guy' talk. It was funny cause everyone would try crazy hard shit and self-serve like 3 times each and then it would come around to me and I would do an actual run. They were giving me props almost every time lol! I know I wasn't playing that well but at least I was hitting tricks I guess :P

I really liked playing with Boatz! He surprised me a lot with his unique style. I love seeing people do unexpected stuff and his game is full of that shit which is super cool .

Jon and I were the last people playing on Sunday. Playing one on one with him is awesome! He gave my some good tips/inspiration with dragons and things.

There were sooo many people from PSU! So awesome! It's nice to have some fresh blood around cause pretty much all the people I usually play with have been in the game for many years now.

I kinda wish April and Nadiah would have actually joined a circle! They seem super cool and I would have liked to have a circle with them but I guess I'm a little intimidating or something..

I scored a pair of G-Units in my size! I never expected this to happen. Mikies girlfriend Alyssa brought them to give back to MC cause she didn't use them. They just happened to fit me perfectly. They are in pretty awesome condition too which is perfect because I really need to stop playing in my poor old lavers.

This event had super sweet prizes! Bruce made really fucking cool trophies for us and we got to choose which colour middle piece we wanted for it. So neat! To my pleasant surprise I also won the pretty Ivan bag that I was kinda hoping for. Not only that but this even actually had prize money! I definitely wasn't expecting that. Who know you could actually get a little money playing footbag. I decided to stash it away for the next time I visit the states :D

The organizers of this event were so awesome! I'm really grateful for the work everyone put in to make this happen. Especially Jon, you made my life so much easier by driving me to and from the bus station. Thanks soooo much :D

A lot of people left pretty early on Sunday but my bus wasn't until 10:30. After everyone was burned out on shred we decided to grab some Mexican food. I rode with Jon and we met up with David, Drew, Bruce and Ben. It was a really nice last meal of the event. Jon treated us to a pretty tasty tequila shot. I got four tacos involving four different kinds of meat and a lime soda. Soooo good.

At around 9pm Jon dropped me off at the Bus station. My bus was supposed to leave at 10:30 but ended up running late. It left around 11. I ended up near the back of the line and was limited in my seat options but I really wanted a window so I grabbed one at the back. Right next to the bus bathroom which proved to be quite smelly. On the bright side a pretty sexy hipster girl sat next to me. She was super cool.

I slept a little better on the way back although never for more than an hour at a time. We stopped in Buffalo and when the bus left it had to turn back around cause apparently it hadn't fueled up. That was annoying.

Customs on the way home is always less stressful. I told them why I was in the states and they asked me if I won. It was cool to be able to tell them I did! I showed them atw because that's all I could muster the energy for at 6am after two days of footbag and 7 hours on a bus.

Finally my phone worked again. I missed being connected haha. I checked fizzied and made the above blog post on the bus. The rest of the drive to Toronto was very slow due to rush hour but I managed to sleep a little more at least. Finally the bus arrived an hour and a half late and around 10:30 this morning.

Subway>Train>Car>Shower>School

Luckily my bro Baxter texted me at around 11:30 just as I was getting back to Oshawa. Apparently I had to be at school for a seminar at 12:40 so I rushed to shower and get my shit together. I made it just in time. Then I proceeded to finish the school work I had due at five with 45 minutes to spare and then do chemistry until 9pm.

It's been a crazy few days! Definitely looking forward to sleeping in my bed tonight :D

I'm super stoked to make it to more events like this. I've stopped spending money on silly things like clothes and started using most of my disposable income on footbag related things. So worth it. See all you guys at New Years ;)

Ever increasingly stoked on footbag. I didn't know it was possible :twisted:

<3

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 01 Oct 2013 09:44

Cassy wrote:There were sooo many people from PSU! So awesome! It's nice to have some fresh blood around cause pretty much all the people I usually play with have been in the game for many years now.

I kinda wish April and Nadiah would have actually joined a circle! They seem super cool and I would have liked to have a circle with them but I guess I'm a little intimidating or something..
:D

Sorry Cassy! It was really great meeting you and I wish I kicked more, but I was sort of taking it easy on my legs, since they've been having problems, and I'm a wimp...
And it is a wee bit intimidating to kick with people who are really really good like you are.

In the future, we shall have a circle together! (I need to get over my fear of failure in front of others first though, or something).

That aside, you were awesome at East Coasts! Congrats on winning routines! :)
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

pips
Multidex Master

Post by pips » 01 Oct 2013 11:56

Awesome write-up, Cassy, and congrats! Sorry I couldn't make it. My mom and sister ended up moving into my neighborhood and it just had to fall on the same weekend as ECFC :/ Anyhow...I am stoked to hear about a New Year's Eve party in NY. I should be able to make that one :)
Chrissy Fryer

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 01 Oct 2013 19:44

Thanks ladies! I hope to play with you both soon!!

My good ol' lavers have served me well for nearly seven years.

I did my first tiltless runs and whirls and swirls in them. I competed in my first ever event and won my first worlds title in them. They've been with me through sooo many amazing memories and helped me fulfil my potential as a freestyler.

I have several other pairs of footbag shoes but they will never be my first pair of Lavers.

It's kind of sad to put them on the shelf but now it's time. I think it's the beginning of a new era. It's time to step up my game.

So I chopped up my already (kind of poorly) modded "new" g-units this evening. They are the white ones (or presumably were at some point). They are pretty crusty. I modded the outside for dragons and things and the material underneath is a completely different colour from the dirty inside and toe surfaces.

Perhaps I will take a Sharpie to them or something in an attempt to make them a little nicer aesthetically.

I put the insoles in them that were previously in my Lavers and threw them on to try them out. They may look ugly but they feel awesome! The soles are mint and they shred real nice.

I was hoping to have a proper training session tomorrow but doing a few stalls in my units tonight made me realise that I desperately need a third rest day.

I've been doing a lot of events and things lately which have been amazing! Now I really need to take some time to play alone and improve more. School is starting to bear down on me as well. I think I am going to devote the next couple weekends to catching up with school stuff, family stuff and solo training. I need to improve at a faster rate and that will only happen if I keep drilling :)

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Oct 2013 16:14

Yo! Great to see you at ec! Wish you caem over bruces instead of chilling at Ben's. We were too lazy and worn out to go anywhere. By the time boats, Pete, and kev wanted to go to Ben's, we were just worn out and wanted to lay low for the night. Sucks we didn't get to hang out much. And I wish we would have kicked more. I get so nervous with competition that I just space out and try to play as much as I can with my competitors so I can see how it will be and how tired they are and what tricks they drop on. I love competing but I hate it too because I just wanna shred with everyone :/ hopefully we can shred more next time.your game was looking good though. Very cool that you got the free units... just Beware about switching to them. If you want more of my opinion, message me on facebook. Keep up the good work!
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 02 Oct 2013 18:46

Nick!! I wish you guys had come to Ben's! We had sooo much fun!!!

We always end up in different places at events :x Hopefully next time we can hang out more and stress about competition less. I tend to prefer casual jams for that reason. In general I tend to switch circles a lot because I want to get a chance to shred with everyone!

As for the units I'm aware of the issues. They will not be my primary shred shoes.

I'm in footbag shoe heaven right now!! :D

I just received two brand new pairs of Lavers! The classic white/green pair and the mahogany ones in the middle.

Featured on the bottom right are my newly retired original Lavers.

Looks like I have some serious modding to do :footbag:

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 03 Oct 2013 08:48

Feeling super optimistic right now! Today is an amazing day!!

Footbag is better than ever!

I’m wearing fresh new Lavers!

I was the recipient of a random act of kindness this morning. The lady in front of me in the Tim Hortons drive through paid for my coffee for no apparent reason!

I recently had a really important realization about my future and what I want to do with my life. I learned how rewarding teaching can be. I know that this is what I need to do if I want to enjoy what I do for a living. I had a girl tell me today that I helped her understand a particular concept. It is such an awesome feeling.

I brought my gear to school today but I’m on the fence about playing because I’m still a little sore from the weekend. It will probably be a pretty low-key session with lots of stretching if I do end up playing.

Love<3

Eskimo Joe
Cold Blooded

Post by Eskimo Joe » 03 Oct 2013 10:35

Awesome shoe collection! You are a few pairs shy of my collection now! Haha.

Just wanted to say congratulations in winning two tournaments in a row! That is super bad ass and you deserve it with all teh hard work and dedication.

Andrew
Eskimo Joe

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 03 Oct 2013 16:45

Thanks Andrew!

Playing in G-Units feels like I'm cheating on my faithful old Lavers with a cheap slut. It feels so good yet so wrong.

Everything is so easy in them and I can just feel my style getting lazy. It felt as if I was morphing into Lon Smith and I’m not sure how I feel about that.

PLOx30>handcatch
Flip butterfly dragon>ripwalk
Wink BS
(blink ending in inside) [Thanks for the inspiration Nick this trick is sooo dope!!!]

I took it pretty easy this evening and avoided anything really intense.

Lots of rev swirling tricks and rakes and dragons.

I guess it's going to be cold soon and that means fewer footbag events. It's time to get into serious training mode.

This is the winter that I step it up from being "good for a girl" to just plain "GOOD" at footbag.

Watch out 8)

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 04 Oct 2013 15:09

First session in fresh lavers!

I modded the white/green ones last night. They are instantly wayyy better than my black ones! The inside has just never been right with those shoes. Oh wellz at least they look nice..

It’s strange shredding in new lavers. They have so much soul ;)

I switched part way through my session to G-Units and filmed a little because I’m curious about the difference in my style between shoes. I will edit soon.

Unfortunately people showed up to play squash on the squash courts (who’d have thought :P) so I ended up finishing out my session in kind of a cramped space above the squash bleacher area.

New lavers definitely take a little more effort to play in but at least when I drop I know it’s my own fault. I can’t blame in on the shoe..

100 tiltless>handcatch!!! (with good variety in new lavers!!!)

Today was another pretty low key session. I don't have anything planned this weekend except schoolwork and solo shred. Should be awesome! :D

<3

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 04 Oct 2013 19:39

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 05 Oct 2013 10:37

This has been a really great page in my blog! So much positivity and support from friends :D

I played again today (in the new lavers). Still taking it easy because my lower back has been a little messed up from doing torques poorly. I'm also sore from general overuse ;) I figure I will have one more session tomorrow while I still have time and then take a few days off footbag to fully heal.

Being sore is a good opportunity to practice low impact things like pinchers and sole stalls. I enjoy doing silly runs with lots of kicks and this sort of thing :)

I used to always drag my footbag up onto my toe with my shoe instead of picking it up. I can't do this anymore with my new shoes because the sole is so thick. I guess I'll have to stop being lazy and actually bend over to pick the bag up from now on :x

Dragon stuff is feeling a lot more comfortable. It's a lot easier/flowier to string if you do like a gyro set out of it.

Infinity Dragon>Gyro infinity BSOS+1
Fear>Eggbeater

Lots of tiltless. Working on getting better diversity and style which seems to be paying off.

I'm trying to take Anssi's advice about incorporating more tiltless into my runs. It doesn't feel quite natural yet but it's coming along. I still have the urge to shred really dense runs but they never last long..

Those Pixie ss Clippers in the last video are hideous. Note to self: stop doing that. Also, stop sucking at flipside ducking.

<3