1974, year of the Curtain

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Re: ~MetZelRio~ GTG is inspiring better shred

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 24 Aug 2015 13:07

MetZelRio wrote: Perhaps I ought to do Ducking Pdx mirage > Paradon > Blender for my first 4>4>4
hell yeah you should!

props on 10 straight days. looks like the game is elevating nicely. that atom smasher in your vid with turner deserves a post on it's own.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 24 Aug 2015 15:01

Made my Day Hogg.

Also, "Nick Polini <3 Footbag" I often wonder about combos/categories, because I KNOW that people aim to hit Beasts, Fearless, etc so I'm not add hunting with combos, just aiming for similar goals as y'all. It's not about the adds, it's about the category in this case. Like BOP/Guiltless is the category I'm focusing on now, and pushing myself out of my comfort zone with the next category for a combo or two. Admittance of guilt: I still don't understand why my legs will not do flip paradon, so that combo on both sides would be easy, but that darn paradon eludes me. In this case I'm not guiltless =( you're the man Po-po =)

Day 11. I must have shredded hard for the past ten days because my Achilles tendon is very sore. I can't walk without a limp, but I couldn't go a day without practicing my new consistent osis. I did 3 strings of BOP/Guiltless. Shortest sesh ever. Dropped one osis on flip, that's it. I'm so proud of where my game is.

Hay, anyone reading this absolutely puzzled by Osis? Ask me for help. I'm no master, but I have struggled hard with it for ages, I've GOT them now. I've crossed over the mine field. I'm on the other side. I can guide you across the field, and hopefully quicker than I made it.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 24 Aug 2015 22:57

The correct trick categories are

1) Three DEX tricks
2) Four DEX tricks
3) Five DEX tricks
4) Weird shit

8)
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 24 Aug 2015 23:17

In that case, I do not play footbag.
I play pretend footbag.

3 Dex tricks I've done:

Fairy ss DLO 1 time to hand catch
Paradon Swirl 2-3 times to hand catch
Sidewalk swirl 1 time to hand catch

(All pretend footbagging)

4 Dex tricks I've done:

5 Dex tricks I've done:

I havent even pretended to play pretend footbag on these levels.

1 dex tricks such as drifter and torque are hard enough for me to sometimes hate playing pretend footbag.

0 dex tricks are keeping me in the pretend game.

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 25 Aug 2015 00:17

Fairy DLO is awesome :wink:

Vojta

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 25 Aug 2015 16:21

Don't worry, Paul. Pretend footbag is the shit. That's all I play.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 26 Aug 2015 08:42

I took one day off after 11 days of pure goodness.
one twenty four hour period, because I was too sore.
I lost everything.
here is where I'm mentally at:
I never ever want to take a day off again, because I've regressed several months worth. I can't hit ANYTHING. barely a clipper stall.

OR

I never want to play again, because it's too difficult mentally for me to lose everything after playing SO FRICKING GOOD and Have to start all over.

I hate this so much. I don't know what the heck I'm going to do.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 26 Aug 2015 09:31

Hmm, I think you've actually said this before, but you have a series of bad sessions and then one great session. Here you've had a serious of amazing sessions, and one bad session and your reaction is that all is lost...

Frankly, I'm not surprised you've had a crappy session, it happens to everyone. Considering your consecutive days played streak, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Just the law of averages catching up, that's all. If you're feeling mentally or physically burnt out, take a longer break, 2-3 days. If you feel fine, play through the shitty sessions. You'll climb out of the hole just as quickly as you got there.

BTW, I think you should look back in your blog, re-read it from the beginning. You'll see a few very similar posts where you were struggling. Notice the patterns, be able to recognize them, know how to deal with the mental aspect of the game. It will make things more enjoyable in the long run.

Sorry for the straight up, no pity post. I could say "keep at it, you'll feel better, hugs and kisses" but I don't think that would really benefit you. From your highlights and recent progression, I can tell you'll be a good player, and your mental game will have to deal with the lows as well as the highs. Now's the time to form good habits. Why do I care enough to be frank with you in this post? I have the same issues when I hit rough patches in my game. If I came off as a dick in this post, I apologize, it wasn't my intention. :wink:
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 26 Aug 2015 10:07

Agree with Ivan.
isirc10 wrote: you have a series of bad sessions and then one great session. Here you've had a serious of amazing sessions, and one bad session and your reaction is that all is lost... :
Yeah, if your pattern has changed from "multiple bad sessions followed by one good one" to "multiple good sessions followed by one bad one", that's great progress. All players have the occasional bad session. The really good players though recognize it happening, and don't overemphasize the importance of one bad session.

isirc10 wrote: I think you should look back in your blog, re-read it from the beginning. You'll see a few very similar posts where you were struggling. Notice the patterns,
I like this advice too. By re-reading my own blog, I noticed the pattern of me overreacting to injuries (e.g. "oh no! I twisted my ankle! I'll never recover to be as good as before!") followed by "miraculous" recoveries a week later. Once I picked up on that pattern, I stopped overreacting to injuries, since I was now aware of the pattern of me recovering just a little slower than anticipated.

The hardest part of the footbag game is mental. I still struggle with it, but whenever I can recognize my frustration, it helps me deal with it better too.

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 27 Aug 2015 15:07

Thank you for the responses. I was being honest. You guys know I cannot "never play again" since footbag consumes much of my thought life, much of my free time
(wether I'm making a project for the community, studying videos, or practicing myself)
and financial
(shoes, bags, clothes, video editing software, cameras, etc)
And friendships.

Today, I practiced for about an hour and a half:

I practiced DLO from toe because I've only been good at it from near clipper. I was able to get

DLO > butter BSOS

Diving clipper > Near DLO BSOS

Diving clipper > osis BSOS

A nice string with toe DLO try flip midstring and surprised myself and continued with the string

Blender > Pdx Mirage on one side, didn't try flip because strong took too long and I pulled a muscle. Flip won't be too difficult for me.

Vojta, I did try some of your stuff, but I didn't have my camera with me.

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 29 Aug 2015 18:00

Ducking Pdx Mirage > Paradon > Blender

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 30 Aug 2015 01:43

MetZelRio wrote:Ducking Pdx Mirage > Paradon > Blender

Zajebiście. That's a lot of variety for a first Trip. I didn't even know you do Blenders :)

Vojta

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 30 Aug 2015 06:04

That's a great combo. All quite different moves. The ducking pdx mirage can be tricky to play out of.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 30 Aug 2015 21:52

Holymoly, it's MetZelRio!

Looks stupid.

I saw myself on video today for the first time in a while. (If you're apt enough to catch the nod to the above statement, props)

There may be an actual good reason for me to become much more involved in the promotion of the sport, making videos, sponsoring, implementing new ideas, collaborating on projects, etc RATHER than playing the sport.

I can't watch myself play footbag and honestly think I belong as a player. But I do think I can contribute to this sport in other more productive ways.

Here's the most recent thing... GTG has basically been finished for quite some time, with the exception of one key piece that needs to be inserted before it can be released. This has been a WONDERFUL/TERRIBLE experience. The best part about it is......... I WILL NEVER USE A CHEAPO editing program again because I bought a top notch, virtually no limit to what I can do video editor suite. My next video project, the second in the MetZelRio Films Trilogy, will look NOTHING like GRAND THEFT GRAVITY. To some, this may be a mistake because of the give you get from watching it, an "I could do that!" Vibe. A "anybody could join in this" vibe, and yet the players of GTG are not average players, and yet, nor BAP (yet)

I've got several more projects up my sleeve. Two more may be released before J-LoCarolineTerri. For those who don't speak Boggly, that's Joulukalenteri. For those of you who do not know what that is, stick around a few more months. It's the best part of December.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 30 Aug 2015 23:08

Hi Paul

I started playing footbag 11 years ago. With the perfect body type and at the perfect age. Still I never became a dominant footbag player - I never even went guiltless and I might never do that.

Is this discouraging from time to time? Yes. But it is not a reason for me not to enjoy playing for my own sake.

Just like you I know I am not gonna push the sport shredwise but I do contribute and plan on contributing to it in many other ways. Is that a reason not to play if I enjoy it? No.

You rock Paul and I look forward to play with you one day.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 31 Aug 2015 08:00

I agree with Asmus. I think you are a very valuable player. You're well on your way to guiltless. Just keep pushing. I believe in you.

Asmus, you too. I wish you'd both put out more footage. No footage is bad footage unless it's never released.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 31 Aug 2015 09:56

MetZelRio wrote:Holymoly, it's MetZelRio!

I WILL NEVER USE A CHEAPO editing program again because I bought a top notch, virtually no limit to what I can do video editor suite.
Adobe? I didn't know you were having trouble with your video editor, I had a few "free" ones for Winx64 uploaded on my file sharing sites.

And I think everyone looks at themselves and doesn't see themselves getting good. I've had the same thoughts of "I could just stitch and make videos, screw doing this thing that makes my legs hurt every time I play" It would be just as fun, right? Then I went to an event or a big session and realized that not playing would be criminal. It is just so much fun. I still don't like how I look when I see myself on film, so I just film others :wink:
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 31 Aug 2015 10:46

Bunch of thoughts:

:arrow: Props on your first 4-4-4 combo. Definitely a more styly one than say, ripwalk-blur-dimwalk. Too bad yours can't turn into a drill, unless you turned the paradon into DOD.
MetZelRio wrote:
I saw myself on video today for the first time in a while.I can't watch myself play footbag and honestly think I belong as a player.
It took about 6 years for me to get to a point where I was OK watching myself play. Probably close to 12 years before I liked my style on video.
MetZelRio wrote: There may be an actual good reason for me to become much more involved in the promotion of the sport, making videos, sponsoring, implementing new ideas, collaborating on projects, etc RATHER than playing the sport. .
I don't see why this has to be an either/or proposition. You can play, and you can also do things like promote, make vids, host tournies, etc.
MetZelRio wrote: . My next video project, the second in the MetZelRio Films Trilogy, ... yet the players of GTG are not average players, and yet, nor BAP (yet)
I never heard about the GTG project until I saw the trailer. As a non-BAP player, where's my invite to participate in the next one?

MetZelRio
Fearless

Post by MetZelRio » 01 Sep 2015 18:28

Video Proof:
I need some time to think about some of the things you guys said before I reply.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 02 Sep 2015 22:01

Ken, we did talk about you being in this, since you aren't technically BAP. but ultimately, we decided against it, because you are still bap level and you have been offered an invitation into bap. No hard feelings, you're just too good :P

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
Nick Polini

Funblog