Detroit David's Footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Vraidave
Shredaholic

Re: Detroit David's Footblog

Post by Vraidave » 07 Jul 2014 08:57

Someone gave me that tip the very first time I said i was struggling with paradox Nick. It helps a whoooole lot. And i thought orb weaver spiders had the big round rear end, this one didnt. Couldve been a juvenile. I suppose i can do research myself lol
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 11 Jul 2014 18:15

Had a short sweaty session with zach today. I hit 6 plo b2b and dropped on the seventh. Not a record but it was nice. Schooled my flip smear a bit, and hit pixie ss clipper for the first time. I also landed my first pdx whirl. I thought i kinda flung it off, but zach thought it was sealed well enough. We got some film, but i dont think zach plans on posting it so ill post some highlights if i can get the footage from him. Another session with some folk on sunday. Its been a good week for footbag
"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants" ~Isaac Newton

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 13 Jul 2014 12:22

Today was good for footbag, and I haven't even played yet. Yesterday i saw a bid for good old fashioned lavers starting at ten dollars in my size. So I started bidding. I had to bid at work, but I still won then for just $13. I also saw a pair of Lavers in my size for $40 and had to scoop them up. After shipping, $66 will provide me with two preowned pairs of lavers. I just hope I'm not getting duped. I'm a bit scared of Ebay, but I'll hope for the best.

About to leave to go kick with some folk. Hopefully hit some cool stuff today. I'll tell you guys if I do ;D

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 13 Jul 2014 12:51

At that price, things are looking pretty goid! Nice work on the bargains.

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 16 Jul 2014 12:12

So this week has been good for footbag gear. On monday, I got three footbags from two different people, Ivan and Marco. One of the bags (the fourteen panel) was a surprise gift from Marco, saying that he wanted my feedback on it because he doesn't normally make fourteen panels. So that was super nice of him. The blue and gray 32 is Marcos, and the Red and grey is ivan's. Thanks a lot you two.

Then this morning i got both pairs of lavers. They're the classic Made in china kind. The ones I paid $13 for are a little dirty, but still almost new. The navy ones i paid $40 for are almost brand new, with a small amount of scuffing. Very excited about these.

Very exciting purchases, because they all mean i can keep on kicking.

On a non equipment themed note, yesterday i had a really good solo session. Schooled my BOP, as I do with most of my solo sessions, tried all three of my new bags for a decent amount of time. Nothing crazy happened, but I played hard and I think my BOP is improving day by day. From BOP to BAP. am i right?

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 21 Jul 2014 08:30

Had a pretty killer session with Zach and Anton yesterday. We were all playing top of our game, Zach especially. Pretty sure Anton hit ripwalk double BSOS. I also had a few decent highlights. Flip Whirl is normally one of my biggest challenges, but I was nailing it like never before yesterday. i even double BSOS'd whirl, and I hit flip toe whirl for the first time. Had a lot of fun at that session, it was the kind of session that makes you love the sport like brand new.

On a side note, I'm a little bummed that modified has been so dead lately. It used to be every time I logged on, I'd have at least one reply in a thread I posted in. Now, I see new replies maybe three times a week. And most of the time, the posts are in the ever-busy Bags You've Made thread. Let's bring this site back to life guys.

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 21 Jul 2014 09:24

first off i agree with the lack of replies on here lately, especially when it comes to encouragement or critique on our games. maybe i shouldn't expect that but it sucks when you post 2-3 sessions without a comment at all. guess i'll just treat it like a blog, which is what it's set up to be anyway.

so on that note... PROPS on bsos'ing whirl! i can't wait to get my clippers down well that i can start trying that trick. looks cool! also good find on the lavers. look in pretty decent shape to me. ebay?
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jul 2014 11:22

Nice stuff man, improvements for sure. I've pretty much given up on the Facebook footbag community. I couldn't encourage them to come back to Modified. So I'm going to be paying footbag for myself now. Jay Boychuk was so right. It's better this way. I encourage you guys to team up on Facebook and try to herd a few more people into modified though. If you do stuff, they will come. Ever since I deleted Facebook and just been in modified, it feels so much likes fucking barren wasteland. If you guys can fix this, then you win. Is just like Ska music... You gotta remember your roots. Modified started us off and @Allan is doing shit load to improve it for us... Meanwhile, no one is using it, which is like a slap in the face to Allan...
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jul 2014 11:22

@allan
Nick Polini

Funblog

bluevampire101
Multidex Master

Post by bluevampire101 » 21 Jul 2014 11:37

Vraidave wrote:On a side note, I'm a little bummed that modified has been so dead lately. It used to be every time I logged on, I'd have at least one reply in a thread I posted in. Now, I see new replies maybe three times a week. And most of the time, the posts are in the ever-busy Bags You've Made thread. Let's bring this site back to life guys.
akprice wrote:first off i agree with the lack of replies on here lately, especially when it comes to encouragement or critique on our games. maybe i shouldn't expect that but it sucks when you post 2-3 sessions without a comment at all. guess i'll just treat it like a blog, which is what it's set up to be anyway.
F[uns]tylin' Eclectic wrote:I've pretty much given up on the Facebook footbag community. I couldn't encourage them to come back to Modified. So I'm going to be paying footbag for myself now. Jay Boychuk was so right. It's better this way. I encourage you guys to team up on Facebook and try to herd a few more people into modified though. If you do stuff, they will come. Ever since I deleted Facebook and just been in modified, it feels so much likes fucking barren wasteland. If you guys can fix this, then you win. Is just like Ska music... You gotta remember your roots. Modified started us off and Allan is doing shit load to improve it for us... Meanwhile, no one is using it, which is like a slap in the face to Allan...
Reading all of this is kind of depressing. You guys are all like a couple of pessimistic log trees. (Don't worry about the log tree part... focus on the pessimism).

I've actually been thinking that modified has been on it's way up. I mean, sure, perhaps not everyone posts ALL the time, but sometimes they don't have much to say. Ben has helped me figure (about my own blog) that I should be writing for myself, and not worry about others. Yeah, it's nice to hear from others, perhaps even some critiques, but if you're fishing for some compliments or if you get all the joy from others, what's footbag to you, right?
I think that if you truly believe that footbag is for you, it shouldn't just be about the community, because sure it's great, but you also gotta do it for you. Not anybody else.

I check modified all the time, but sometimes I have nothing much to say. I've mostly been gathering my thoughts about what everyone says, either on modified or on Facebook. It seems like there are people who have such a negative mindset on the sport/community/social networking, but I don't think that's the case. Perhaps it's just a small lull/bump.
Like, Honza and the whole competition/event discussion. Sometimes it's just not the right time or place for everyone to go on competing and everything. As for people's online presence, not everyone has the time or makes the time to post or keep up with people's progress.

I'm not really sure if the message I intended got through, but what I'm pretty much trying to say, is to keep your heads up and footbag for the sake of footbag. :) Everyone's hard work will show off in time.
April Tou
kicker, stitcher, footbag enthusiast, baker of PSUFC

"Drill until it's ingrained." -old Indian proverb according to a book I read

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 21 Jul 2014 11:50

Yeah I agree with April you can't expect mad posts on your blog every time you post a highlight.

You're much more likely to get a reply from someone like me if you discuss an interesting idea, do a cool session/event write up etc. Props are always great but they lose meaning if you get them all the time and honestly I don't pay much attention to most highlights in peoples blogs.

I love getting replies in my blog but if no one feels like commenting that's cool I'm still gonna keep playing and keep documenting it for myself :)

The footbag community is not modified. The community is embodied in events and jams that happen all over the place.

isirc10
Fearless

Post by isirc10 » 21 Jul 2014 12:02

Solid assessment of the situation, April and Cassy. I have nothing more to add.

Actually, I have two things to add... Thank you Allan for keeping this place up and running

And this:
Ivan Iakimenko

Maker of I^2 Footbags!

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 21 Jul 2014 14:11

Well im not just talking about a lack of replies on my blog, those are nice but i agree, theyre not the main point of the blog. I just mean in general. All the threads i follow have been tapering. Maybe i just need to follow some newer threads :p

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 21 Jul 2014 14:55

No, I still agree with Dave.

People are clearly having time to be online because there are almost constant posts to the Facebook group. Then you look at modified, and you wait for some posts for something interesting to come up, but nope.. that interesting post was already most likely posted on Facebook. Believe me, after deactivating my Facebook account, it's way too noticeable that people are just using the Facebook and couldn't give a shit about Modified.

Also, no, I'm not a pessimist. I'm a realist. I realize what's going on and I spoke up about it. Sure, definitely play footbag for yourself. That's the main reason I play, because it's super fun. But it's also fun to encourage new players, see what other's are hitting, talk about concepts… stuff we do at jams, anyway. And since we can't always be at a footbag jam, Modified used to be like a 24/7 e-footbag jam. You could talk to your favorite players and also players around your level and just everyone. And you could do it in an organized fashion. It was great. Facebook does not feel like a footbag community to me. It feels like good 'ol overly chaotic Facebook. Even in the footbag group.

I'm thinking what Dave's thinking… Maybe I need to follow some newer threads too… Oh wait, there are slim to none.

To add to one of Cassy's points: The community is not Modified… You are correct.. But anyone who was around for Modified before 2011, can not argue that the community WAS Modified.

This is why Modified needs to make a comeback. It definitely HAS made a bit of a comeback.. more buzzing than it was in early '13. And I think if we're posting things of value, people will start to come back to modified. I have a good feeling about that. One by one, they will come.

Also, hell yeah, everyone should thank Allan for keeping Modifed afloat and putting so many man hours into it. You're seriously the man, Allan.

And Dave, I read your highlights, man. I've got my eye on you as an up and comer, don't worry ;) Keep it up, man.
Nick Polini

Funblog

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 22 Jul 2014 04:28

first off, sorry david for hijacking your blog for this topic but i feel like i need to comment here rather than my own blog.

i understand april and cass's point that you shouldn't be looking for comments on every post you make on your blog. also, that your blog should be for you and your game. i somewhat agree with this but it is also easy for people to say this when they have a footbag club, when they have actual human beings to shred with. i don't!!!

i love this sport and for me to still be here is important. i don't have anyone pushing me to get better besides a few people that have expressed an interest in my game from a far. i liken it to working out or lifting weights. it's hard to push yourself when you work out by yourself but if you have a friend there that can yell at you saying "give me another 10 reps", then you progress more quickly. you also feed off each other and receive instant feedback on how you are doing or what you could be doing better.

i use modified as a means to see whether i am improving or not. but i also use it to get feedback from others on my game. i don't want to keep drilling the same thing over and over not knowing if my form is correct or not. then all i'm doing is drilling bad habits. this is exactly what happened with legovers. i drilled those fuckers for 2 months with bad form and execution. it wasn't until erik, paul, vince and matt told me what i was doing wrong. now i am back at square one on legovers. this all could've been avoided if i had someone to drill with.

in the past i had used facebook freestylers for posting vids and getting feedback. i switched to using modified so i wouldn't clutter the facebook page with shit vids of my feeble attempts at mirage and legovers.

if i don't have people watch my vids and comment and tell me what i'm doing wrong, i will never know. i know that people are busy and i know that i don't personally comment on everyone's blog. but i am a noob and i don't know the difference between mobius and janiwalker. so it's hard for me to comment on a higher level players vid when i don't know half of the shit that they are doing in the first place.

this is an extremely tough sport and if you don't encourgage the new players, they are going to get frustrated and quit. everyone "talks" about growing this sport but i don't see many that do shit about it!

sorry, just my honest opinion.

if anyone wants to continue this conversation, please do so on my blog so we don't clutter david's blog anymore.

fyi... darren kautz moved to raleigh last week from ohio and we are kicking tomorrow night. FUCK YEAH!!!

-end of soapbox-
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 22 Jul 2014 06:04

Maybe a new thread is in order? If nobody else wants to start it, i will

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 12 Aug 2014 05:26

I know I haven't been posting much, so here are some updates:

Had a few sessions since my last post, one five man session with Zach, Anton, Adam, and Torrey. I've been drilling Osis, and that's been getting stronger. The other day I hit a few new tricks, like Pixie far Rake, and then Rake to flip rake. That last one was cool because I've never been able to hit flip Rake. I also footed parkwalk, and I feel smog coming to me. That will be my first 3-dex, that's fun. I haven't been practicing as much as I should lately, but when I do, it's normally pixie centered and BOP centered practice. My flip pixie is still really weak :/

Session later today with some folk.

Work for now.

Later

Vraidave
Shredaholic

Post by Vraidave » 25 Sep 2014 10:35

I haven't been on modified in a long time. I haven't posted in even longer, so I can't help but feel like I'm contributing to the demise of this forum. I haven't made much progress, and if anything I've gone backwards a bit. Not much but a bit. I've been so busy with school, work, and social life (ugh) that I haven't had much time for shred. However, I do think this un-development might be good for my game in the future. Now I'm focused a lot more on hitting longer strings, and being both sided, so it's sort of like I started with a clean slate.

Last weekend was incredible for footbag. Evan Gatesman and Cass Taylor came to Michigan for the weekend, and kicking with them was incredible to say the least. Watching Evan's shred blew my mind. Since Evan and Cass were out, it brought a few other players out as well. We ended up shredding with seven or eight people, which was my largest footbag experience. The first day I.. disappointed myself. I felt like I was rushing a lot, and dropping a lot. Cass had a piece of constructive criticism that really, really helped out on day two. She mentioned that when I rush, and try tricks that are big for me, even when I land them, they look sloppy, and I'm not impressing the likes of Mr Gatesman. Instead, these people of such higher caliber than myself would rather see nice, long, both sided strings. So on day two that's what I focused on.

Day one highlights: Beat my infinity record, now it's ten, doubled my previous five (Johnny Sarah came up to me and said "let me see you do infinity, then I broke my record)

Hit dimwalk rake and followed it up with a string, which felt nice

Flip whirls starting to come along nicely.

On day two, my game was way stepped up. The tricks I was hitting were simpler, with less ADDs, but I was executing cleanly, with respectable runs. It was only near the end I reverted back to trying big tricks, but that was mostly because my legs were pretty much done and I started feeling silly (a sort of "why not" attitude, yaknow). So thanks for the advice Cass, I felt way more confident Day 2, and I got way more props, which is what's really important ;P

Day two highlights: longer strings, better overall play, even though I didn't hit anything crazy

So hopefully I can start playing more, and hopefully I'll feel the urge to post a little more here. Sorry for abandoning you, modified. I'll be back.