Bobby G's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
bobgreen
Multidex Master

Bobby G's footblog

Post by bobgreen » 13 May 2014 18:16

Well, it seems that 2014 is the year to return to footbag if you’ve been having some time off. Who am I to say that is wrong when it just feels so right.

I’ve been toying with the idea of starting a footblog for a while, so here goes.

My name is Bob Green, and this time around I’ve been playing regularly since November 2013. In the before time, I played quite a bit in the late nineties and the early to mid oughts. Quite unintentionally, I drifted away from footbag around 2005, which coincidentally is the year my son Ruari was born. What shit do you throw down you might wonder? Well that isn’t so impressive given the time I’ve spent playing, but I can grow a glorious red beard so I have that going for me. I know a lot of you can link fearless and some beastly, but how many of you can grow a bushy red Amish, Taliban, lumberjack beard? That is beastly in its own way.

I guess it is bad form to not say something about what you are working on in your footblog, so I am mostly working on trying to get decently long tiltless strings on a consistent basis again, and also working on adding some interesting 3’s to the mix. Last weekend some of the trick highlights were whirl BSOS, pdx illusion BSOS, and diving clipper > pdx illusion. Prior to my 8 year break I was pretty consistent at whirl, but I am just getting them back now and pdx illusion is kind of brand new for me in general. I said it wasn’t so impressive, but it doesn’t matter so much because I’m having fun just playing again. Not to sound like I don’t care...I actually am putting quite a bit of effort into playing well, but at this stage I also really need to focus on having fun and not getting pissed off when things don’t come as quickly as I’d like.

Since starting back up, I was in hermit mode playing alone in my basement up until March. Finally decided that I wouldn’t totally embarrass myself in front of others, so I contacted Kevin Hogan in March and we’ve been playing once a week since then. Kevin is an awesome guy, and I’ve been having a blast playing with him. Also he hasn’t been scared off by the eccentricities of me or my family, so that is a good thing too.

Since this is my first footblog post, I’ll close out with a picture of my first footbag. Got this baby when I was about 10 years old, and played with it very little because I was pretty horrible and got discouraged quickly. Though I didn’t really ‘find footbag’ until some 10 years later when I was working a summer college job in Portland (OR not ME), I still got really excited when I came across this recently while going through my attic.

Last edited by bobgreen on 28 May 2015 18:43, edited 2 times in total.

Asmus
Ass Moose

Re: Bobby G's footblog

Post by Asmus » 13 May 2014 22:20

I would gladly trade you a couple of my fives for a decent beard.

Cool first hack! And welcome back to footbag.

I can already tell this blog is gonna be good.

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 14 May 2014 07:49

Did you used to live in Pennsylvania and play with Bob Riefer? And then you were in Pocatello ID for a while? Or am I thinking of somebody else?

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 14 May 2014 08:24

beards are good, so I like this blog. Hope to see more people getting "back in the game".

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 14 May 2014 17:14

Hi Ken! Yeah, that's me. I'm glad there is at least someone around still that knows who I am.

I'm going to work up to stories about my playing time in Idaho and Pennsylvania, so I hope people stay interested long enough to tune into that.

I'm not sure if it lame to give a preview, but stories for the Idaho years will have a shout out to my friend Steve Howland most people won't have heard of. He was really quite an exceptional player (at BAP level of the day in my opinion), but I think the only tournament he ever made it to was when we did a road trip to the 99 Vegas Jam that Daryl set up. Anyway, Steve and I hosted an event as part of a street festival in Idaho Falls where this kid named Jim Penske was in the crowd. I played with Jim quite a few times in the last 1-1.5 years I was in Idaho and got to watch first hand as he went from hitting clipper and a couple of basic 1 dex tricks to developing into a very strong guiltless player in record time. That by itself will maybe make an interesting post or two. And of course, playing with Bob Riefer and being part of Philly Footworks for 4 or 5 years will be fun to talk about as well.

So this week I've been in Columbus, OH for work. I found a nice place on the OSU campus to kick the last couple of nights, and basically had a couple of nice solo drill sessions. Tonight after getting back to the hotel I got changed and headed to the store across the street from my hotel pick up some water so I could go to my new found shred spot again. When I came out of the store sirens were going off. I asked someone what was going on and found out that there was a tornado watch, so I decided to head back to the hotel and see if I could play in their gym without getting kicked out. Another nice drill session, and I BSOSed gyro clipper 2 more times tonight.

Next up: The formative Portland summers and how I practically stumbled into being a spectator at the 1997 World Footbag Championships

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 14 May 2014 17:17

Yo Bob! Glad I found this randomly! I'm stoked to keep up with your blog, man. It was also really great meeting you at the Uncluded show. That was off the hook.

And yes, Ken, Bob used to play with Bob. That's how I became familiar with him.

Hope to actually shred with you sometime in the near future!

Good luck man
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 19 May 2014 19:23

Asmus and Boyle: Sorry I didn’t respond earlier, but thanks for the kind words. I’ve been trolling around here for a while, and your blogs are among the ones that I enjoy reading the most. I did shave my beard for spring, and I sincerely hope this won’t come between us. Rest assured, it will be back in fall.

Nick: Yeah man, the concert was dope. I’m bummed for you that they didn’t come out to hug it out with folks afterward. I’m bummed for me that I was in PA while you were in MA and that I missed shredding with you guys that weekend. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.

Current Events:
Attended my step-daughter’s college graduation on Saturday. The fact that one of my kids is a college graduate may lead some of you to wonder, so to get it out of the way I am 38 years old. Not so old (in my opinion), but not so young either. In any event, it was a pleasant enough ceremony (and I am certainly proud of my daughter’s accomplishments) but I couldn’t help but be reminded of this song.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ[/youtube]
I liked that one when it came out, and I still like it now.

Anyway, I got back home from graduation with about an hour of sunlight left. Took the opportunity for a quick solo power session. Hit 26 contacts of clipper>pickup>repeat during warmup. That was a record for me as far as anything I’ve kept track of since returning to footbag, and I know I could have done more, but I didn’t push that. Call it lazy man’s record breaking, but it gave me an immediate measure of success and also provides low hanging fruit for a future session. After working on gyro clipper, I decided to try and hit gyro pickup. My form is not yet perfect (I still have to briefly plant my set foot), but I managed to hit 3 on one side and 2 on the other. That was a new trick for me, and it felt awesome!

This week I am back in Columbus again for work. Was able to hook up with Mike Angeski for a session. I’d never met him before, so it was awesome that he was willing to meet up with me. I love that about footbag…that you can go to a random city and message someone who is in effect a stranger and have a 95% likelihood that you will have a lovely time hanging out with them. I didn’t play particularly well (couldn’t string for shit), but I did manage to repeat gyro pickup once more on each side and I also hit gyro osis (e.g. peeking osis) once on each side. That was a brand new trick for me too. Mike hit some cool strings with a lot of ducks in them. I’ve never played with him before so I don’t know for sure, but judging by the occasional muttering under his breath I thought it may have been an off night for him too. Didn’t matter to me though…..hanging out with a fellow kicker, even on an off night, is so much nicer than making idle conversation with others in a hotel bar (quick someone queue Billy Joel’s piano man).

I do intend to make a proper introduction to "The Portland Years” to describe how I really got started with footbag, but this is already somewhat lengthy of a post. I’m going to use my own attention span as a gauge and close out here.

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 19 May 2014 20:16

What I really love about footbag is that you are able to connect with this people almost anywhere in the world, and even if you play like absolute crap, it's still a good time, because you meet someone else who is just as passionate about this little thing as you are.

If you're ever in the Southern Hemisphere, let me know. In reality I'm not so sure where I'll be in the coming years... thanks for the nice words on the blog.

I know your beard will grow back too... :=) Looking forward to reading your stories of "the old days", ps congrats on your daughter's graduation. That must be a pretty awesome feeling.

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 19 May 2014 21:01

Yeah dude, props on the Gyro tricks bs. Hit Gyro Pickup a few more times on both sides, then try to do one a bit more powerful, turn a little bit more, and push your leg to dex through the pickup, leading to a Mirage. Gyro Mirage is a great one to hit after Gyro Pickup. Keep doing those Tiltless drills though. Your game is sounding like it's coming along. Awesome to hear.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 20 May 2014 06:58

welcome back to the sport. i came back this year as well (was just a circle kicker back in high school using the same bag you posted). anyhoo, i'm from raleigh and will be up in your neck of the woods may 29 - june 3. my biological mom and i are taking a trip up there and are staying in marblehead (just south of salem). not sure if i'll be able to leave that area but if you have nothing going on and want to take a short trip south to marblehead to meet, i would love to kick with someone.
Aaron Price
No reason why extreme cardio should be boring. -Salem Straub

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 20 May 2014 08:50

Hey Aaron, I'd be down for that. I just texted Kevin Hogan who lives around the corner from Marblehead, and he said he is down to have a couple sessions while you are here too. What is your schedule like that Saturday? We have been kicking around 11:00 or 12:00 on Saturdays. Maybe we could do that and also try to pick another day (evening if weekday) to session if you have time?

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 20 May 2014 09:58

that would rock! like i said i'm a newb at the sport but would love to learn from some others. don't know what our plans are for saturday yet. still have to see if mom wouldn't mind letting me have a couple hours to kick (since we are there on vacation together. i found her 7 years ago and we haven't really had a ton of time by ourselves to really get to know each other). mom's cool though and i'm sure she would understand. like i said, if you guys don't mind coming to me, it would prob make things a ton easier. hey, mom might even want to watch us shred, who knows. i'll talk to her and let you know. thx!
Aaron Price

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 20 May 2014 14:26

bobby green don't mess around!
Kevin Hogan

BSC

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 21 May 2014 07:04

ok, saturday is a go!!! let me know if you and kevin are ok with driving down to marblehead to meet me (this way if mom wants to leave and do something she has the rental car).
Aaron Price

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 21 May 2014 11:45

marblehead is one city over from me, driving to you shouldn't be a problem at all.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 22 May 2014 20:05

Getting into Footbag Part 1: High School Hack Exposure and Portland Summer 1996

I started my first regular job my junior year of high school at a dog track in Post Falls, Idaho that has since been closed down for many years. My official job title was “Lead Out”. We would collect the dogs from the trainers and bring them to the paddock for a physical exam prior to the race. It seemed to me at the time that this primarily consisted of the Vet lifting their tail up and checking out their asshole. Looking back, it still seems that is what the exam consisted of. After the dogs were checked out, there would always be some down time prior to the start of the races. Once it was time for the races, we wold walk the dogs around the track prior to each race, and eventually load them in the starting box a few moments before the actual race and collect them afterward to bring them back to their trainers. As with many first jobs, it kind of sucked but the down time between the physical checkups and the start of the races was my first regular exposure to hack as that was a staple break time activity. I was interested enough that I got a Sipa Sipa, but I wasn't totally into it. It didn’t help that the game we played involved getting pelted with the hack if you dropped or accidentally touched it with your hand out of reflex.

In my first year of college I was still working at the dog track, and was cruising along taking about 8-9 credits per semester. I took a road trip to Oregon to visit my Uncle in Portland, and he offered me a free place to stay and summer job making $8.00 an hour plus time and a half if I worked more than 40 hrs per week. I think my dog track wage was on the order of $5.25 per hour, and I did some calculations and figured out that if I saved the bulk of what I made that I could start going to school full time and actually graduate some day. Score!

So after my first year of college, I went to Portland to work for the summer. That first year (summer 1995), I was kept pretty busy and worked about 60 hours a week the whole time so I didn’t have much time for anything else. I came back in summer 1996 to work again. I was still working 40+ hours per week, but I had more time on my hands. I decided it was time to do something other than just hanging out at my Uncle’s condo, so I started going downtown in the evenings. I didn’t know anyone, and somehow I ended up going to Pioneer Square to hang out and just watch people. I still love to just watch people. At Pioneer Square, there would frequently be people circle kicking. The kids there were a lot more advanced than the people I played with in high school, they seemed to get on well, and I was fascinated watching them. I watched from a distance for a week or two.

Eventually I bought a bag I found in a mall so I could start practicing.

I started casually practicing out front of my Uncle’s condo. I’d play for maybe 15 minutes until I got bored, then go back in until I got bored again, then come hack for a while again. Rinse, lather, repeat. I remember the first time I kicked it more than 10 times in a row felt like a huge accomplishment. All along the way, I would continue to go down to Pioneer Square and watch kids hack with each other.

After watching from a distance for a week or two, I finally worked up the nerve to join the circle. Very shortly thereafter I was a regular with the group. There were a lot of people who rotated in and out, but the core of the group Kerstin, Jane, Mike*, and Hacky Chan. Last names were a foreign concept to 20 year old me, so I have no idea what their full names are. Kerstin’s signature combo was to do inside stall > toe stall > outside stall > heel stall > pass (all ‘muted’). Mike* was the most advanced of all of us and he could hit a variety of things including a a move I thought was awesome which I’m pretty sure was eggbeater. Jane was doing toe stalls, inside stalls, and flying clippers. Hacky Chan was a an immigrant from Fiji who I’m pretty sure was older than the rest of us. He had very broken English, and he specialized in crazy high kicks (regular and fliers). I don’t even know his real first name, and I realize it is probably culturally insensitive but we all called him Hacky Chan. That said, that is what he referred to himself as and he very much belonged in the group. Anyway, we were kind of an odd bunch, but this was my first experience of now inclusive footbagers can be.

*I can’t really recall what his actual name was, so I went with Mike. You weren’t there and it is my story, so I’m sticking with it.

I started kicking regularly with this crew and became friends especially with Kerstin and Jane, hanging out with them a ton that summer and getting into all kinds of Shenanigans with them, even outside of the hack circle. By the end of that summer I was kicking somewhat consistently and could hit toe stall and inside stall. I already was pretty hooked on the game, but I had not yet seen truly serious freestyle. I already loved kicking, but I had no idea how awesome footbag really is!

Next Flashback: Summer 1997 - Footbag Summer part deux and how I stumbled onto the 1997 Worlds

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 23 May 2014 04:40

thx for the flashback... very cool! reminds me of my old days in circle hacking. the original "hacky sack" was so fucking hard, it was like kicking a rock. i would run over mine with my car a few times, lather it in oil to soften the leather and throw it against a brick wall a few hundred times. stalling that thing was almost impossible. i could do toe stalls but my go to move was flying clipper. i thought i was a bad ass because of that trick, ha!

looking forward to meeting you and kevin next saturday!
Aaron Price

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 23 May 2014 17:04

love all these kind of "intro to footbag" kind of stories. I have mine in my blog from the early days. I especially like them if they involving running over the bag with a car to break it in!

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 25 May 2014 05:31

Hey Aaron, Kevin and I are stoked that there will be an opportunity to have a 3 man session with you next weekend!

Kevin and I had a nice Saturday shred session yesterday. We popped over to Salem and kicked at a nice spot that he suggested. Weather was beautiful, there was a lot of foot traffic, and I thought that we both played pretty well. The place we played had some steps next to it, and a couple of times people would actually stop and sit for a few minutes to hang out and watch us play. There was one guy who had been sitting at a table nearby I think since before we arrived. He was quiet and just hanging out, and I didn’t realize he was even watching. At one stage Kevin hit something combo involving a torque of some kind (I can’t recall if it was stepping torque, paradox torque, or what but I do remember it wasn’t just a ‘vanilla' torque). Anyway, out of no where this guy piped up and yells out “That was a good one!”. The dude had good taste in tricks, that’s for sure.

I hit a bunch of medium length tiltless strings that I was pretty pleased with. Kevin challenged me to try some DLOs and I managed to hit diving clipper > DLO > string, which I was extremely pleased with. Also hit ducking clipper > drifter, but I was a little off balance and dropped on the ensuing osis attempt. C’est la vie.

After shred we grabbed some lunch and a beer, and then I high tailed it home. I was gone all week for work, and starting to feel douchey that I had abandoned my family on the first day back. Luckily, when I got home it seemed that there were no hard feelings.

Footbag is fun.

akprice
Shredaholic

Post by akprice » 29 May 2014 07:10

leaving today at 4:30 for mass! i'll give you a call sat morning so we can coordinate the shred. looking forward to it!
Aaron Price