Kyle's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle's footblog- Its Laver time

Post by Kylescook » 27 Feb 2016 15:30

The weather was great today so I went to the park and met up with some of the flow arts crowd. I was the first one there so I warmed up for about an hour before anyone else showed up. Took a break to meet with the coach and catch up with some people. I like how technical it all is, just like footbag. I'm gonna have to really work on clipper and osis after switching shoes. I don't have nearly enough confidence in my clipper to hit Osis>stepping and my infinity>stepping isn't really much better. I'll probably just do a bunch of osis and stepping ss clippers next session. I worked on Pixies today which is good because they've been a seriously neglected part of my game for a while. I had a couple of flip pixies that the set felt tight and controlled, which is not something i've ever felt on flip pixie before. .
Highlights
SMOG :!: first time only got one side
Smear>SS Smear>Rpt
PLO>PLO>SS Smear>SS Smear
Magellan>PLO>Rpt
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 29 Feb 2016 05:13

I've seen your Instagram, you don't look like someone who has problems with Open set. Especially not if you can hit Smog. Have you tried Smoke?
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 29 Feb 2016 05:23

Add Block wrote:I've seen your Instagram, you don't look like someone who has problems with Open set. Especially not if you can hit Smog. Have you tried Smoke?
I remember hitting catacomb one day, but dont know if I ever hit smoke. I guess i'll try both of them again after more flip open work.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 02 Mar 2016 11:45

Instead of studying before class last night I decided to play footbag. I worked a for a little while on Fairy. I've never hit flip fairy in the past without really bad form and pain, so I never pursued it. I guess working on pixie has made fairy make more sense since I was able to actually dex with my knee and not my shin. Did a bunch of Fears and Fairy op Legovers. Also worked on stepping from osis a little. Tried to work on swirl and reverse swirl but it wasn't all that productive.

I've been imagining Atomic Near Symp Twirl in my head for a few days. I gave it a shot but wasn't really that close since I don't do symp twirls. I'd love to see somebody hit that though. (Nuclear Near Symp Twirl is also acceptable)
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle's footblog

Post by Kylescook » 02 Apr 2016 12:39

Wow, a whole month since i've posted. Well, things have been pretty busy here. lately I've been too busy for 3 sessions a week so i've been having 1-2 full sessions a week with short 20 minute sessions focusing on toe kicks, toe stalls and atw mostly. Johnny Breakdown came to town a few weeks ago. Cory and I met him at the hotel for a session in the fitness cetner. I filmed but most of the footage was useless due to people walking in front of the camera every few minutes. Since switching back to lavers most of my sessions have been primarily me finding imperfections in my form on different tricks. I spend twenty minutes working on the trick and then find another one. It's pretty lame but after another few weeks my form and body will thank me.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Apr 2016 08:36

Went to the gym for a few hours to blow off some steam before my physics test Wednesday. warmed up pretty slow with kicks and toe/ inside stalls. went through the basic toe trick ss>op>rpt drills.
After getting warm I moved onto trying to break personal records on some more advanced toe drills
:arrow: Mirage>Atomsmahser>rpt x2+
:arrow: SS Mirage>Tap>rpt x2
:arrow: Mirage>Toe Blur>rpt x2
:arrow: SS Mirage>Slapping Mirage>rpt (couldn't get x2, but not sure if I ever got this x1 before this session)
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 01 May 2016 11:55

Been wicked busy with school. Failed my last physics test 8O , called a tutor the next day to make sure those same problems don't hang me up on the final. all the other tests this semester I had A's so it shouldn't be too hard to come back from. Calculus has been fun. I'm apparently the one in class that enjoyed infinite series. We're onto Polar and parametric curves now. I've been reading a super fun book by Matt Parker called "things to make and do in the fourth dimension". It's not a difficult read even for someone with no college math education. The section on hyper-spheres was amazing.

But onto footbag stuff. I've been trying to cut my sessions off earlier so I don't wear myself out as much and can play more productively. Two hours is my max for solo sessions, I've been trying to keep them down to 90 minutes. The YMCA has a spot just a few blocks from my school, so i've been able to swing by there after work for a quick session and shower with time to grab food on the way to class. The past few sessions have been really great. I'm completely used to my lavers again, and don't feel much impact left in my style from playing in units.
:!: Without a doubt this is my favorite drill i've ever hit. Near Symp Mirage>Op Flail>Rpt
some other dope stuff from my last shred
:footbag: Symposium Reverse Whirl War to six contacts.
:footbag: Footed Reverse Whirr two times
:footbag: a few nuke sets that took less energy than normal.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 08 May 2016 07:11

Played for a bit on Friday, hit a few things.
:!: Drifter>Far Symp Whip>Drifter>Rpt to 7 contacts
:!: Flail>Toe Blur
:!: Drifter>Spinning Osis>Blur>Flail
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 20 May 2016 04:47

Out of school for a few days for summer. Plan to play as much as I can.
Some recent stuff that I liked
:!: Nuke Muted Whip>Stepping near Whip was a pretty dope link from last session.
:!: pdx mirage>atomic near down>ducking flapper>bsos
probably some other stuff that I don't remember.
I've also been practicing three ball juggling trying to learn new patterns over summer.
Before I could do cascade and reverse cascade. I've since learned jugglers tennis, half shower, fake mills, mills mess, and columns on both sides, i've got shower on side. Been trying to figure out box but my left hand doesn't wanna work.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 21 May 2016 09:38

There isn't much footbag in this post.
School's been out for over a full week now. I ended up getting a B in Calc II and an A in Physics I. I'll be starting Calc 3 on the 6th in a couple weeks.
I've been reading a lot of math related books in my free time lately. In the order I read them:
Things to Make And Do In The Fourth Dimension - Matt Parker
The Simpsons And Their Mathematical Secrets - Simon Singh
Fermat's Enigma-The Epic Quest to Solve the World's Greatest Mathematical Problem - Simon Singh
A Mathematician's Apology - G. H. Hardy
I'm about to start
Poincare's Prize: The Hundred-Year Quest to Solve One of Math's Greatest Puzzles - George Szpiro

For the most part they are all accessible to those with a basic high school education. Fermat's Enigma was probably my favorite. the author did a good job in starting at the beginning of math and hitting all the important historical advances and events that lead to the conjecture and the hundreds of years contributions needed to prove it. He also has several one on one interviews with Andrew Wiles, who published the full proof (over 150 pages) in 1995. He goes over some of the details and emotional impact of his seven years of working in secrecy to prove the Taniyama-Shimura conjecture.

Cory's coming out tomorrow and we're gonna head down to this cool little strip not far from my house called the Delmar Loop. It's like a young people haven, some street performers are down there pretty frequently, a couple head shops, tattoo shops, restaurants, hookah bars, and craft shops. There's a weekly Sunday afternoon drum circle that goes on there that we'll be kicking at.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 01 Jun 2016 12:00

Had a session with Cory and a new kid today. He mostly just kicked and didn't really seem to interested in learning anything new. Would be cool if he wanted to pick up freestyle, but I don't really expect him back for a second session. We ended up playing for about 2.5 hours. new kid left after about an hour. It was my first session in over a week and we both played pretty well.
Had a run with Ducking Down>Dyno bs
Spinning Osis>Blur>Tripwalk was almost easy on strong side. which leads me to a massive hole in my flip spinning osis.
spent some time on toe blur b2b. didnt break the record for 4 but I did have a few that were much cleaner and with better rhythm than before.
I was trying for slapping symp mirage but couldn't get it so i tried for full symp. still no luck. anyone do these?
tripwalk>blur>toe blur one side
hit vortex on one side. footed the other. felt good about the placement of the bag on the spins which is the hardest part.
Run with Smear>Smoke on strong then flipside attempt with a good set on both tiricks.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 02 Jun 2016 10:21

Kylescook wrote: I was trying for slapping symp mirage but couldn't get it so i tried for full symp. still no luck. anyone do these?
That's the kind of trick me and Jindra would try whenever alcohol was involved in our training sessions. :)

Good highlights. Toe Blur b2b was always weird to me. Most days I couldn't get over 3, but once in a month I'd get over 15 consecutives. Hopefully yours will be more consistent :wink:
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 06 Jul 2016 06:47

Cory and I went to Chicago for the CIC BBQ on the 26th. Had a session with Zac Miley and Cory while all the Chicago dudes had prior obligations. I hadn't played in like two weeks due to all my Calc homework and the blistering heat. Zac played great though and I ended having enough clips to put together a video. I didn't have time to jazz it up so it was just clipped to together on my phone and posted to YouTube. I got fed up with the repetitiveness of taking partial derivatives all week, gave up on homework early, and went to the park to play footbag and juggle for a few hours. My cardio was garbage, I haven't been exercising at all, and i've been smoking way too many cigarettes. But I did manage to have fun while I was playing which was the whole point of going anyway.
Highlights:
:arrow: Osis>Dyno>Osis>rpt 4-5 times through.
:arrow: Spinning Osis>SS Symp Dyno
:arrow: Full Symp Toe Blur (Watching Zac gave me a lot of insight into Symp Quantum)(Edit: not full symp. i suck)
:arrow: Spinning Ducking Clipper BSOS (not sure if i've tried that before)
:arrow: Alpine Merkon
:arrow: Ducking PS Illusion BS
:arrow: footed Fury.
:arrow: Zulu PS Illusion BS (chicago session)
:arrow: Nuke Muted Osis>Gyro Symp Whip(chicago session)
Last edited by Kylescook on 17 Jul 2016 07:02, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 09 Jul 2016 17:46

Spent most of this week studying for my next Calc test. Went to the park for the last two hours of sun today. Didn't bring my lavers since I was mostly planning to work on my 4 ball juggling. I had my Levi Aart shoes on which have a pretty good toe and I had all my footbags with my juggling stuff so I ended up playing some. the clipper on those shoes isn't the best so no long runs. Hit a bunch of pixie ducking clippers and alpine smears. got one backside omelette, way harder than expected, might be easier in lavers. Pixie diving rev whirl. pogo pixie ss symp whip (not sure how you'd actually name that. its not symp since the foot doesn't start on the ground.) had one good pixie quantum set, out of a few tries. cleared the dexes on furious set a few times. almost had furious legover, set height was there just missed the catch.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 22 Aug 2016 11:02

The fall semester started today. I'm taking Physics 2 , Intro to American Politics and Differential Equations. More importantly today is the first day of Ken's business trip to St.Louis. His flight lands at Lambert airport in 30 minutes and we'll promptly be setting up for a session. more to come.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 11 Sep 2016 04:49

Ken was in town for almost a full week. We had some good shred and a great time hanging.
Session with Cory yesterday afternoon. Had a couple fun runs. worked on rev whirling set, got rev whirling near clipper and rev whirling near osis on BS. had a coupe rev whirrs that were slightly better than the one I posted earlier in the week.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 19 Sep 2016 04:37

Haven't played much footbag since last post. School started off slow this semester and i've had a hard time finding a good balance of study, work, and play. In other news the juggling club meetups are back in full swing, so thurdsay and saturday nights I usually end up with 2 hours of practice in. Most of my juggling efforts have been put into 4 ball tricks.
Here's a list of some 4b siteswaps i'm working on: 5551, 53, 534, 552, 7522, 7531, and reverse asynch fountain.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

bobgreen
Multidex Master

Post by bobgreen » 19 Sep 2016 08:38

My only exposure to the numeric descriptions for juggling that are in your last post are from a youtube video I saw a while back. Honestly I don't remember what they mean, but seeing that reminded me of the video and it seems like something you might enjoy if you have some time to kill. Perhaps you've seen it already.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 19 Sep 2016 10:42

I've seen this but haven't watched it yet. I'm not even tiltless when it comes to understanding the notation for siteswaps. I know that if there is just a string of numbers with no symbols then each throw alternates hands and each digit represents the height of the throw. But things get weird when you want synchronous throws. If you're ever curious there are tons of siteswap animators and libraries around the web that will show you a stick figure gif of individual site-swaps.
7531 for example is one I haven't done yet but am working towards. the 753 are all "cascade style throws" (from one hand to the opposite) 7 being highest, then 5, then 3(alternating the hand thats throwing). the 1 is a horizontal pass from one had to the other.
http://juggle.wikia.com/wiki/7531?file=7531_200.gif
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 24 Sep 2016 18:16

Went to KC for their JuggleFest this weekend. Cory and I made a day trip out of it. Left around 3p after class on Friday and just got home about 8:30pm Saturday. Friday night we had a session with Tim and Zac at Zac's place, it was dark so we kicked in the living room with mediocre light. Mostly just warmup stuff for our next session. I was working on Rev whirling set when zac had the idea to try it from toe, we tried it a few times and today and I had one toe set rev whirling op down that was really clean. nothing else new to note.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges