Kyle's footblog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Kyle's footblog

Post by Kylescook » 12 Sep 2014 04:49

This is the beginning of my footblog. I've been interested in hacky sack since winter of 2010. Earlier this year I found out about Freestyle and the Footbag community. You guys helped me get in touch with Cory Allen and from there I started growing and falling more in love with the sport. I've been practicing almost everyday for at least 40 minutes, or as long as my legs can handle. I cant wait to see how much I can accomplish in the next year, and I appreciate all the support the freestyle community has given me.

9/11/14 Highlight: Double Legover [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1RXRbqsY4E[/youtube]

Trick List

2 ADD:
Clipper
ATW
Orbit
Clipper
Guay
Legover
Illusion
Bubba
Mirage
Pickup
Hopover
Reverse Hopover
Walkover
Wrap
Pendulum
Pincher

3 ADD:
Butterfly
Ducking Clipper
DATW
Double Pickup
Osis
Refraction
DLO
Flapper Stall
Drifter
PDX MIrage
PDX Illusion
PLO
Smudge
Smear
Pixie op clipper
Magellan

4 ADD:
Da Da Curve
PDX Drifter
Dyno
Ducking Butterfly
Ducking Osis
Dimwalk
Parkwalk
Sidewalk
Ripwalk

Goals for 2015:
[]Controlled duck-able Stepping Sets BS
[]Controlled duck-able Pixie Sets BS
[x]50 Tiltless
[x]10 Guiltless
[x]Stepping SS Clipper x10 BS
[]Drifter b2b x8
[]Spinning gyro drill
[x]Diving Ducking drill x2
[]B2B Osis x30
Last edited by Kylescook on 02 Apr 2016 12:28, edited 15 times in total.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

krustykrakk
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle Cook Footblog/ Practice Diary

Post by krustykrakk » 12 Sep 2014 05:42

Hello.
I like your goals. Kick!
Benjamin J. Babyak

I kick, therefore I am.

Did ya look at it?

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 12 Sep 2014 06:02

Thanks Ben. I appreciate the support.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

PrunusAberration
Shredaholic

Post by PrunusAberration » 12 Sep 2014 08:00

Welcome new found friend. :D It's always awesome to get new footblogs here. For your video, edit the post and remove the "s" from https and it will display correctly.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 12 Sep 2014 08:06

Thanks for the youtube correction. I was curious about that.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 12 Sep 2014 08:31

Hi. I like those goals. Nice and systematic. Although that Flail confuses me greatly. :D

In my experience, Flail is really easy for some people, and borderline impossible for others. It's a bit like Marmite. :footbag:
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 12 Sep 2014 08:49

I saw the Flail this morning browsing around and just wanted to make note not to forget to try it. I had to do some searching to figure out what Marmite was... Once I realized it was similar to Vegemite the comparison made great sense. I'm part of the group that does not like it.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

F[uns]tylin' Eclectic
Post Master General

Post by F[uns]tylin' Eclectic » 12 Sep 2014 14:15

Yo whats up Kyle? Glad you joined us on Modified, as well as Facebooks. You've got great form, by the looks of it. Hope to see you make your way to the top. Looking forward to reading this blog.
Nick Polini

Footbag is good for the SOLE

Funblog

"Yeah dude it's all mental. Then it's physical" ~Evan Gatesman

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 22 Sep 2014 09:36

Good Afternoon fellow footbag fiends.

I had to take a week off due to a couple of factors. The first bad news is that I ripped my Bear bag. I immediately ordered a new Haniabag to replace it, but that was going to take a week to get here. In the mean time I lost my bear bag in some tall grass. After two days of not being able to kick at all, I tripped up the stairs outside my apartment and took several layers of skin off of the front of my big toe. But finally after a few days without a bag and a few days with an injury I was able to get back to kicking yesterday. It wasn't the most structured practice session but I was able to hit Smudge and Smear on my strong side a couple of times. My schedule for the week is pretty open so I plan to work on my b2b clippers and my opposite side Mirage, Illusion, and ATW.

Thanks for stopping by and happy kicking.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 23 Sep 2014 07:19

last night was pretty productive. I spent a good amout of time working on my flipside. I was able to get four good atw's, a couple paradox mirages, and made it to 8 contacts on SS Clipper> Op Clipper Rpt. Just when I was ready to call it quits for the night one of my neighbors saw me kicking and sat down to watch. It gave me so much more energy knowing someone actually wanted to watch what I had been practicing so hard at so I pushed through for another twenty minutes. Before I went in for the night I hit my first Drifter [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpou2GFOkPg[/youtube]
Last edited by Kylescook on 23 Sep 2014 08:46, edited 1 time in total.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Cass
Egyptian Footgod

Post by Cass » 23 Sep 2014 08:03

Nice man that's Drifter. Grifter has an illusion dex.

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 23 Sep 2014 08:46

Woops. Thanks Cass.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 25 Sep 2014 07:07

Good Morning Everyone.
I had a pretty good hour session last night. I spent the last twenty minutes trying to hit Paradox Drifter. After my session I uploaded all the footage from the evening to my PC and started playing with movie maker for the first time. So here's my first edit. It's just some highlights and fun stuff from last night. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvoXfxLJ2nY[/youtube]
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 29 Sep 2014 13:05

Afternoon All.

Had a great weekend. Got to kick for a couple hours with Cory and Mark. I love getting to see dudes flow effortlessly through stuff I'm struggling on. It just gives me so much hope for the months come. Last time I got together with Cory to kick I had trouble getting past 4 b2b clippers and I think at one point I had 15 contacts of clippers with at least 5 on the off side. Another highlight, I was able to get Paradox Mirage BSOS.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 12 Oct 2014 19:03

I have been really busy lately. I've been working extra hours training some new people. I went out to watch my mom and some family friends run in a Tough Mudder race on Saturday. It was cold and rainy all morning and they ran 11 miles in the mud with a bunch of obstacles. It was pretty cool.

I was finally able to get a good practice session in today. I focused mostly on ATW/Orbit flipside and DATW/Double Orbit and what I assume would be Double Guay on my strong side. Also spent some time on Walkovers and Wrap Arounds.

With the winter equinox this past month its now dark outside when I get off work. So I have to get diligent about working footbag practice into my morning routine or finding a good indoor spot for night.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 19 Oct 2014 17:45

Today was an awesome day. I kicked with Cory from 12:30-4 and broke almost all of my personal best records. My strong side Clipper I hit 22 and 9 on my weak side. I was able to up my butterfly record from 4-6. and I lost count but know I was able to get at least 15 b2b Legovers but they felt so smooth. I'm sure I can double that in the next session or two. I hit Whirl for the first time. I wasn't able to hit it both sides but it felt so good to get the set height and timing perfect.
Edit: I forgot I also hit eggbeater once yesterday!
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 28 Oct 2014 20:29

So today's entry will consist of two days of shred Yesterday, October 27, and Today.

Yesterday I spent a fair amount of time working on Leg overs. I really like this trick and can see it being a huge core move to build of off. I've set a new goal to get 50 back to back Leg overs by the end of the year. My record so far is somewhere around 15-17. I spent a while working on my set height and form on my clippers and swirls. I also worked on my Butterflies Same Side and back to back. They're definitely feeling better. I keep trying to hit DATW rpt but I haven't been able to hit it more than twice in a row, and any time I spend too much time on it my Knee hurts later or the next day. I know its because I attack them to fast and get sloppy. so I just need to work on keeping them tight, slow, and deliberate.

Today's session wasn't that impressive but I wasn't really into it. I'm still kind of sore from playing so hard yesterday. With that said, I had a couple new links and one new trick. I was able to hit SS Buterfly> SS Mirage Rpt a few times. I was able to hit Ducking Clipper> SS Pickup (only strong side). And the trick was Diving Clipper.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei0xsU8wuxk[/youtube]
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Re: Kyle Cook Footblog

Post by Kylescook » 31 Oct 2014 06:16

Yesterday was a very satisfying session. I spent a few minutes warming up, then worked on Whirls for a few minutes. I realized I was setting them too far out and leaning my whole body over to much. As soon as I started setting them straight up and standing straighter they became loads easier. I still haven't hit it flipside but plan to soon. Another highlight: I was able to hit swirl mid string. After that I went to work on some challenges. I spent a total of about 30 minutes working on the all basic mirages challenge from MetZelRio. I was so excited to be able to hit them all in the same string. My flipside Pdx needs some work. Nick gave me a pointer to try and keep them muted so I'll put that into practice my next session. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMRiZ1-zrLY[/youtube]

I've got a couple of challenges from Cass that I've been training my illusions and pickups for. Nick gave me a few challenges. The first one I'll be going for this weekend is 100 alt. inside kicks. If I get that one knocked out I'd also like to tackle All basic Legovers. Will keep you guys posted. Enjoy the video and keep on kicking.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges

Add Block
BSOS Beast

Post by Add Block » 31 Oct 2014 06:59

You have that american springy style, like Nick, Adam and Jay. That means, I will hate you when Stepping set comes easily for you. :D
I hate bad form and I'm a hypocrite.

Vojta

Kylescook
BSOS Beast

Post by Kylescook » 31 Oct 2014 08:28

Haha fingers crossed. Ripwalks are one of my favorite tricks to watch.
Kyle Cook
St.Louis
My Footblog
My Challenges