Old Shred Tape Archive Project Blog

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
LinoSphere
BSOS Beast

Re: Old Shred Tape Archive Project Blog

Post by LinoSphere » 08 Sep 2015 05:55

this is such a cool project. thank you for doing this!
just had a quick look at the first video, and i am looking forward to more.
i guess in the final platform, player names should be included, if possible.
so cool. keep up the good work!
Matthias Lino Schmidt

Allan

Post by Allan » 08 Sep 2015 19:27

I finished capturing Jay's 23 tapes last week. 70.83GB of shred. Well, more like 64GB or so, since two of the tapes were family stuff that had no shred on them. I split a few of the tapes into 2 files, so there's, like, 28 or 29 files.

Finding a solution for distribution hasn't gone too far. janis suggested using bitorrent and that's the avenue I'm going down currently. I'll have some more news on this front at some point soon.

As I type I've started with tape #1 out of 80 of Sunny's tapes. They start in 2000 and span the following half-decade or more.

I'm still waiting on tapes from Peter and I'm going to start pestering some of the other peeps to send me their tapes too.

I actually wrote up a rather post about the encoding aspect of this that I saved as draft. I should probably just publish it as is, but there's more I wanna add to it...

Allan

Post by Allan » 08 Sep 2015 19:28

LinoSphere wrote:i guess in the final platform, player names should be included, if possible.
so cool. keep up the good work!
Yeah, I'd like for each tape to have an annotated timeline to go with it.

Sporatical_Distractions
registered sacks offender

Post by Sporatical_Distractions » 09 Sep 2015 07:14

Wouldn't torrenting cause accessibility issues? There aren't a lot of footbaggers in the world compared to the rest of the population, so seed counts would be extremely low. Also, it would seem like pure luck to be online at the same time as one of the seeders, assuming they don't leave their computers on 24/7.
Welcome to Flavortown

Kevin Crowley

Allan

Post by Allan » 09 Sep 2015 18:09

Sporatical_Distractions wrote:Wouldn't torrenting cause accessibility issues? There aren't a lot of footbaggers in the world compared to the rest of the population, so seed counts would be extremely low. Also, it would seem like pure luck to be online at the same time as one of the seeders, assuming they don't leave their computers on 24/7.
I'm planning to run a dedicated tracker with at least two but probably three dedicated seeders. As well as having these base seeders, I'm sure we can convince a few other sources to seed 24/7. Steve would probably host a copy on .org's cloud, maybe.

I dunno. Like I said, it's an avenue I'm going down at the moment. It might not work out properly.

Allan

Post by Allan » 12 Sep 2015 15:04

It's been slow-going on Sunny's tapes. I'm only on tape 4. This tape happens to be the "Seattle Footbag Boogie Woogie" event from late 2000. I was there with peeps from Victoria and lots of other old friends from forever ago :) Good memories there.

Allan

Post by Allan » 17 Sep 2015 18:35