Kankeri Japan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Kankeri Japan

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Aug 2020 13:35

Had a kick as I mentioned I would, last Thursday. I really notice the difference in motivation kicking two days in a row. When I was younger I feel like I could kick most days at like 90%, whereas now I'm more like 90% the first day, they 60%, then it drops more. I noted the following:

- little toe stalls x 50 (with 3 drops throughout). I think this is good practice for my left toe.
- swirl > osis > rpt > rev swirl > osis > rpt
- gyro clip > stepping ss clip > rpt > gyro clip. Making slightly more progress with this. It is a fun combo.
- blender x2. Would like to do x10 of these.
- 3-bag juggling x 3, then x4, then x4. Tough.

I should be returning to these posts and continuing to try stuff that I have hit, and also the things I was not able to hit. Just made a note i my journal of stuff to hit today. Perfect.

EDIT: TOP POST PAINTING...
Just spent some time looking for a good one and still nothing...
Last edited by Tjuggles on 27 Aug 2020 13:03, edited 1 time in total.
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

cammel
Fearless

Post by cammel » 26 Aug 2020 23:04

Tjuggles wrote:
12 Aug 2020 13:20
EDIT: Here is one video in the interim, one I think we can all relate to.
:lol: I agree wholeheartedly with Taishi, this is my favorite video.

Appreciate all the notes you're writing down here, definitely going to try some of these drill you've been doing. Especially the spinning/gyro ones. gyro clipper>stepping clipper>rpt is first order of business in my next session! swirl > osis > rpt > rev swirl > osis > rpt is awesome. I would love to be able to do any part of that, but I'm still pretty far from reliably hitting swirl or rev swirl.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Aug 2020 13:03

Thanks for the kind words! Glad my notes are useful.

I kicked Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday! Each time I felt the desire to keep pushing, which is great.

Monday the 24th of August:

I wanted to hit blender x10 but was nowhere near. I also made a note to hit some fearless stuff. I noted the following:

- gyro toe x 3
- left foot i-o ATW x 5. nothing special, but much needed practice. I think my game would benefit greatly from prioritizing this.
- osis x 17 first try.
- op pickup x21
- PLO bsos + fairy op legover bsos
- gyro mirage > dimwalk > rpt
- pixie op pickup x3

Tuesday 25th August

- PLO > magellan bsos + dimwalk bsos
- stepping ss clipper > stepping ss osis x 2.5
- 3-bag juggling x8, then x7, then x4.

Wednesday 26th August 2020
- Blurriest bsos. Good to know I was thinking about the fearless note I made above. Thanks Daniel for the idea.
- dyno x 21. This is a great higlight. I think this is my new PR. I could have kept going if the wall didn't get in the way. May try again next session.
- dyno > gyro osis > rpt
- 3-bag juggling x5, x8, x3
- bubbabeater bsos. This is a trick I rarely do. My flip took many tries to get. I don't take enough time to delay the bag before setting; the delay and set are almost the same thing. This means that the whole trick then becomes a race against gravity. I need to relax into the delay, and take the set a bit more slowly.
- a run of 2-bag left foot x8 > right foot > 10 > left foot > 8 > 4 contacts of one bag on each foot.
- fairy ss mirage x5

Need to film!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 02 Sep 2020 16:20

I have had two sessions since the last post. Footbag is so good. I would be in a very different place had I never found footbag.

Here are some notes.

Session 1 (31 August, 2020)

I thought of a sweet combo that I would like to hit one day:
PS whirl > blurry drifter > rpt
This would look so cool, and a sweet combo to hit on beat to a song.

- I wrote down that I had a long run with lots of stuff. That likely means bsos-ing things like pixie and fairy stuff.
- I noted that my left foot fairy felt solid. I was aware of the delay, the bag on my toe, and the set.
- pixie ss mirage > fairy ss mirage > fairy ss mirage > pixie ss mirage. Styley.
- blender bsos. Blender (and whirl) is a trick I don't practice a lot, but would like to.
- 3-bag juggling x13, then x5

Session 2 (2 September, 2020)

I wanted to hit blur > datw > dimwalk > rpt but couldn't; my datws on left side trip me up.

- Left foot ATW i-o x2. I have been doing lots of pickups and legovers. If I can get these ATWs dialed on my left toe, my game will improve greatly.
- gyro osis > osis x7
- fairy ss mirage x2 in a run of many pixie tricks
- P illusion > dimwalk > rpt
- ripwalk x7
- pixie op pickup x7
- magellan > pixie ss mirage > rpt
- osis > vortex bsos
- 2-bag x10(left foot) > x10(right foot) > x8(left foot) > x10(right foot) > x2(left foot). My left foot sets are feeling slightly better. Gotta keep pushing.
- 3-bag x 14.

Sometimes I like to sneak in a quick shred on days when I normally don't kick. On those days, especially when time is limited, I like to 'shut up and shred'. This name comes from 'shut up and write' which is another name for the more commonly known Pomodoro Technique. Essentially, shut up and shred involves setting a timer for 25 minutes, maximizing contact time with the bag (by minimizing rests), and shredding for that 25 minutes. I will be doing this today when I sneak in a cheeky sesh.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 06 Sep 2020 13:16

Tjuggles wrote:
02 Sep 2020 16:20

Sometimes I like to sneak in a quick shred on days when I normally don't kick. On those days, especially when time is limited, I like to 'shut up and shred'.
...and what a cheeky sesh it was. I ended up kicking for about 40 minutes instead of 25. This was mostly owing to the 'just one more trick' itch.

At the beginning, I worked on the left foot i-o ATWs, but no consecs.

- left foot set whirl x 10
- right foot set whirl x 10. I noted that my hip was hurting when I did these and that I may be looking too far over my left leg. Will check out my posture today when I kick.
- drifter x17
- toe set op knee > ss pincher > ss toe x6
- gyro clip x10
- osis x 54
- symp whirl > sidewalk bs
- symp whirl > stepping ss clipper bs
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Sep 2020 17:51

Catching up on a couple of sessions:

7 Sept 2020
I warmed up with op toe > same toe. Trying to increase the quality of my form (especially left toe).

- stepping muted op clipper x4
- dyno and blender bsos
- symp far swirl bsos
- gyro dlo > dimwalk > rpt
- spin dlo > legbeater
- 3-bag x4, x5, x6

9 September 2020

- left foot set ATW i-o x10 (finally I did some consecs!) I will be putting this on my list each time I kick.
- gyro mirag > flip dimwalk > long run (around 25 contacts?)
- gyro clip > step ss osis > step ss osis > gyro clip
- pixie op pickup x7
- gyro dlo bsos
- right foot set swirl x 10
- left foot set swirl x4, then x8
- symp whirl > osis > rpt
- 3-bag x9, then x6

Looking forward to another sesh today!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 13 Sep 2020 20:34

My session was great, although I was a bit tired.

- left foot set ATW i-o x15. More please.
- knee bump > op inside stall > op inside stall > op knee bump x 4
- pixie op toe x4, x18
- op pickup x19
- gyro weaving osis bs

Footbag is so good at diminishing all the bullshit that happens in life from my periphery. I always come out of a sesh reset and ready to take on the world. Such a blessing.

One measure the university I have the next 4 Fridays or so off which is nice. That means that I won't be kicking on those Fridays (unless I come in to uni which may not be a bad idea.).
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 14 Sep 2020 17:48

Had another session yesterday.

- left foot set atw i-o x12, then x10
- mirage > ss mirage x4 or so during warmup runs
- spinning osis > gyro osis x3
- toe set op pickup x 55
- toe set gyro toe x4, x4, x4. Couldn't seem to get more than that. This was inspired by Ken's latest vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYgBzo5dj44
- gyro clip > stepping ss clip x2, x2, x2. Can't seem to get more than that. I think I am not turning my upper body before the set on my right foot set gyro clips. The set also seems to be getting away from me meaning I am likely not setting straight.
- grifter bs
- left foot set datw i-o x2 (with a slight pause)
- 3-bag juggling x7, x7, x7, x7

I have a few toes on my left foot that are still slightly sensitive, but since adding the insoles back in my shoes I have noticed that they are getting better.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 16 Sep 2020 12:53

16 September 2020

- i-o atw left foot set x25
- 3-bag x7, x4, x3 + individual practice
- to > knee stall > ss pincher > ss toe > op toe > rpt
- spinning osis x5, x3, x3, x4
- dyno > spinning osis > spinning osis > dyno
- flip atomic practice
- dlo > ss dlo > rpt (set from flip ss dlo)
- stepping ss clipper > stepping op clipper x 4
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 23 Sep 2020 17:16

Aotearoa New Zealand is now in COVID alert level 1 for all places except for Auckland. Among other things, this means that the longroom is open again! I enjoyed kicking by the table tennis tables while skilled students played each other. It was a nice vibe and there were heaps of people around. That being said, I am also looking to return to the long room for a bit more privacy, and perhaps more importantly access to the pull up bar!

On another level, I am grateful to be in a small island nation tucked away globally, with a government who trusts science that was able to bring us to a point where we can move around without fear of catching COVID.

I wanted to create some video for JFC, but was not able to. Today I will make it a point to record something so that I can post some footage (Erik has been itching to see some I think). That reminds me that he hasn't been around for a little while. Hope he is well.

That also reminds me that I was following along with the new website on discord, but seem to have fallen off; life.

My last session was as follows:

21 September 2020
- atw i-o left foot set x1, x14, x2, x13 (i.e., x30 total)
- pincher > calf roll > ss toe bsos
- blender x2
- op knee bump x 47
- stepping muted op clipper x5, x3
- 3-bag juggling x6, x9
- stepping ss legover > toe spinning osis bs
- P torque bsos
- mobius bs
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Sep 2020 20:18

I have had two sessions since my last post. The weather is getting slightly warmer as it does for spring. However for Wellington 'warm' should be taken lightly. It has been crazy windy the last 2 or 3 weeks, as is also typical of this time. Not nice for playing outside. That being said:
Tjuggles wrote:
23 Sep 2020 17:16
Aotearoa New Zealand is now in COVID alert level 1 for all places except for Auckland. Among other things, this means that the longroom is open again!
It was nice getting back down there to kick. I have also been able to do pull-ups again which is nice; footbag boday typically means slender (unless you are Ales), so any exercise time for developing muscles is welcomed.

24 September 2020
- left foot ATW i-o x35 (comprised of x5, x14, x13, x3)
- toe set op knee bump > same toe > rpt > toe set op knee bump twice > same toe > rpt, then x3, x4, x5 x6, all rpt (except I only did x6 on one side).
- left foot set ATW i-o to ss inside > ss legover x10
- left foot set fairy ss mirage > magellan x2.5
- blender x2

28 September 2020
- op knee bump x39
- dyno x 10
- gyro clip > stepping ss clip x4
- p drifter > gyro clip x2. The combination of off-balanced p drifters and fast gyro clip sets make this one tricky!
- blender x3
- tomahawk bs. My right foot set whirls and p whirls hurt my left leg. I am turning it out too much or something. Should investigate further.

Recorded a few drills, and some three-bag juggling. Hopefully Erik sees this (he mentioned he wanted to see some footage of me)! On a unrelated note, I often mistype 'footage' as 'footbag'.

TJ Boutorwick

boyle
Post Master General

Post by boyle » 28 Sep 2020 21:04

I always do that footage/footbag thing. It's like something just drilled into the mind!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 30 Sep 2020 17:19

boyle wrote:
28 Sep 2020 21:04
I always do that footage/footbag thing. It's like something just drilled into the mind!
Haha, glad it is not just me!

Had a good session yesterday. Good is in terms of mental stress relief. I haven't been sleeping enough recently and so I ran out of steam sooner than I normally would.

30 September 2020

- ATW left-foot i-o x18, x2, x20 (40 total)
- pixie op pickup x7
- smear and PLO bsos
- fairy op legover x2
- gyro clip x21
- stepping ss clip > stepping op clip x2
- DATW > op toe x2

I did pull-ups at the end of the sesh: x7, x5, x5 (holding the last one of this set).

Part of the reason I finished the session earlier was so I could up my chances of having another cheeky sesh, today.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 04 Oct 2020 14:06

Had another sesh last week. Mostly for fun so didn't drill too much. The feeling of progress is euphoric.

1 October 2020,
- left-foot set ATW i-o 45
- outside kick set gyro outside kick x2

I washed my car yesterday and smashed my leg into one of the spray metal holders. It is sore and hopefully can manage a shred today.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 12 Oct 2020 12:24

Tjuggles wrote:
04 Oct 2020 14:06
... smashed my leg into one of the spray metal holders. It is sore and hopefully can manage a shred today.
My leg is better now, but did make kicking hard last week. I have had a few sessions since my last post here.

5 October 2020
- gyro osis x18
- left foot set i-o atw x50
- op toe > op inside set ss pickup x 9.5

I was trying for spinning legover > fairy ss drifter > rpt, but couldn't manage.

7 October 2020
- i-o atw > mirage > ss mirage x 3. This is one of the combos I rarely practice, but should!
- a nice run with bsos blenders and dynos

12 October 2020
- left foot set i-o atw x56 (x10, x20, x17, x9). These are getting better, but still a ways to go before it matches my strong side. I will get there!
- right foot set i-o atw x30 (just to make sure both sides are getting some work done to them.
- gyro clip x17
- far swirl > gyro osis > rpt. This is a first-timer for me! Felt great. My flip far swirl ends on my slightly stronger side gyro osis, which is interesting.
- gyro clip > p drifter > 3.5. This is also a first. Why didn't I record for the Japan champs!
I was chasing gyro clip > vortex > rpt for a bit, to no avail.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 17 Oct 2020 01:23

Cass gave me the motivation to record some footage. Thanks Cass!

TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 21 Oct 2020 16:28

Just coming out of a slight cold. Stayed home for the last 3 days. Feels great to get out. I had thought about taking this week off of shred since I have been sore for a minute it seems. This thought was followed up with getting sick which is further motivation for resting. I am glad I got some footage out too, so feel that my body needs a bit of a break.

I have had two sessions since my last session post.

14 October 2020
- left foot set atw i-o x60 (three sets of 20). Really glad to be doing these fairly consistently now.
- p mirage > PLO > Dimwalk > rpt
- gyro osis > spinning osis x4 (This was in the video in my previous post)
- gyro osis > gyro clip x3.75 (This was in the video in my previous post)
- PLO x3, x7
- fairy ss mirage x3
- 2-bag juggles x13(left foot), x13(right foot)

16 October 2020
I wanted gyro clip > vortex rpt but couldn't get it; my left hip is sore when I do these. Bad posture likely.
I wrote down at i-o left foot x65 but can't remember if I actually hit it (the checkbox wasn't ticked)...I sort of remember just thinking to have fun for the session. It was a Friday I think so likely had a shorter sesh and then grabbed a brewski and the pub on campus.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Oct 2020 11:45

I had my first session in just under two weeks due to being under the weather. I didn't think I would push that hard going into the sesh since I assumed I would be slightly rusty. Turns out that wasn't the case. I felt great and had plenty of runs that felt nicely both-sided (with pixies at least).

I wrote down some stuff to get something recorded for JFC as a contribution, but nothing came to fruition. Will need to bring my old phone for music, and my newer phone for recording on Friday so that I can hopefully sneak something in.

28 October 2020
- stepping ss clip > osis x7
- gyro clip x8
- gyro osis (rfs) x4, x4
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 03 Nov 2020 16:18

I have had two sessions since my last post:

30 October 2020
- left foot swirl x4
- right foot swirl x2, x2, x1
- pixie legover x9

2 November 2020

- gyro osis > spinning osis x4
- magellan > PLO x2
- spinning legover > pixie muted op clipper x2
- gyro to x4

Some of this is on video, here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYTdm6QO1NQ
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 06 Nov 2020 12:54

Have not been on top of the ATW practice for my left toe, but still not that concerned. I took some notes from my last sesh but they are in my office so will post again on Monday. Until then, here is a shortish run with some zoom practice. I hope it is educational and enjoyable:

TJ Boutorwick