Kankeri Japan

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
Tjuggles
Flower Child

Re: Kankeri Japan

Post by Tjuggles » 27 Nov 2016 22:18

Kicked today for about an hour at the gym. I had a few

Yesterday we had a five-person hack, and it was really really good. Fun stuff.

Today near the beginning of the sesh, I tried morpheus a couple times on both sides. On one side I was pretty much where I needed to be to catch the bag, so at least I have a general feel. My zulu drifters are much better than ducking drifter, so I think I should practice ducking drifters. I think I should also practice gyro/spinning ducking too. Getting both of those a bit more dialed should put me within the margins of not 'the' to probably hit it.

Today I did:

- ATW i-o x5 bs
- ATW o-i x5 bs
- mirage > ss mirage x 10
- illusion > ss illusion x10
- legover > ss legover x10
- pickup > ss pickup x10
- little toe stalls x25 bs
- ss little toe stalls x25 bs
- pixie (op) toe x5 bs
- pixie (ss) toe x5 bs
- fairy (op) toe x5 bs
- fairy (ss) toe x5 bs
- stepping (op) toe x5 bs
- stepping (ss) toe x5 bs
- atomic (op) toe x5 bs
- atomic (ss) toe x5 bs
- quantum (op) toe x5 bs
- quantum (ss) toe x5 bs

Addometer: 1982 hitherto + 480 today = 2462 adds!

The guy who practices Kendo in the dance studio where I kick was there so I didn't film. Until he left:
TJ Boutorwick

"You can do anything" -Greg Nelson

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 28 Nov 2016 20:52

Kicked for an hour today. Fourteen days ago I posted that I wanted to develop bothsidedness systematically. Glad to see I am still at it. I decided that, without really thinking about how long I had been practicing fundamentals systematically, that I should up the numbers. I posted two weeks ago that my goal was to begin a habit for obtaining bothsidedness, and I think that habit is developing nicely. I am still spending most of the time each session on fundamentals and enjoying it. Now that the habit has formed, evident from the two weeks of consistent drilling, bringing a shred-log and filming each time I have kicked over the last two weeks, I think its time to increase the numbers.

This first day of increasing the consecutives, I ended up not drilling some of the stuff. I will do it next time for sure, probably first. When I get this tracking of development electronic, it would be nice to have a feature that alerts you of which fundamentals you haven't been practicing, so you know what you haven't been drilling enough of recently.

Anyway, I hit:

- ATW i-o x10 bs
- ATW o-i x10 bs
- mirage x10 bs
- ss mirage x10 bs
- illusion x10 bs
- ss illusion x10 bs
- legover (op toe) x10 bs
- legover (same toe) x10 bs
- pickup (op toe) x10 bs
- pickup (same toe) x10 bs
- little (op) toe stalls x 25 bs
- little (ss) toe stalls x 25 bs

Addometer:

2462 + 500 today = 2962 adds!

After I finished the above fundamentals, I practiced morpheus a couple of times, then felt like weaving void would be easier. After about 15 tries:
Holy shit. That felt easier than I thought it would, so I tried about 15 times on the other side:
Wonderful! As I was trying to do them, I kept thinking: "See it coming up after the spin. Gotta see it coming up". I figured if I saw it coming up, I would have enough time to determine where it was going, how high the set was, etc. I really like this trick because I feel like there is no/very little waste of time; your body is always doing something.

I gladly accept this trick as a new six add. After I hit them, I thought that void must be easier than before, and proceeded to hit three in one string: two on one side and one on the other. I dropped the second one on the other side. I think this now makes ducking marius a bit easier to conceptualize.
TJ Boutorwick

Asmus
Ass Moose

Post by Asmus » 29 Nov 2016 00:20

Tjuggles wrote:bringing a shred-log
Boob-o-log?

Good job on the drillage.

Big trick looked tight!

acxel22
Post Master General

Post by acxel22 » 29 Nov 2016 05:28

you actually hit morpheus (spinning ducking drifter)

weaving would be gyro weaving same drifter, you hit pdx drifter so it's a duck.

Those are so tight, I still can't hit this flipside, massive achievement!
Mathieu Gauthier

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 29 Nov 2016 08:08

Mathieu is correct; you hit morpheus. Super props on them! Both so tight...they looked great.

Digging the recent videos in the blog, keep them coming!

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 29 Nov 2016 14:36

acxel22 wrote:you actually hit morpheus (spinning ducking drifter)

weaving would be gyro weaving same drifter, you hit pdx drifter so it's a duck.

Those are so tight, I still can't hit this flipside, massive achievement!
C-Fan wrote:Mathieu is correct; you hit morpheus. Super props on them! Both so tight...they looked great.

Digging the recent videos in the blog, keep them coming!

Thanks for the props, youse. I'm a bit confused so let me type out loud. I was under the impression that spinning assumed that whatever happened after the spin happened on the opposite side, hence the difference between spinning clipper and gyro clipper. The main (only) difference between the two is the side which the delay occurs; gyro clipper its the same side the bag came up after the set, and spinning is the opposite side. That being said, gyro drifter is vortex and I definitely didn't hit that in the video, so since the dex immediately following the spin is one from the opposite side, that means its spinning. Huh, that was easy. I guess I confused myself thinking about spinning and gyro clipper.

With the ducking/weaving bit, I didn't think you could technically do ducking pdx drifter, no? That would be weaving wouldn't it? Does the reason it becomes ducking as in morpheus stem from the fact that there is a spin at the beginning?

Looks like I need to hit the books.

Thanks for clarifying guys. Have updated the titles on vids. Will keep the videos coming.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 30 Nov 2016 04:19

Kicked for about an hour today at the gym.

Fundamentals:

- op toe kick x10 bs
- op outside kick x10 bs
- op inside kick x10 bs
- op knee bump x10 bs
- op toe stall x10 bs
- op inside stall x10 bs
- op outside stall x10 bs
- pixie ss toe x10 bs
- pixie op toe x10 bs
- fairy ss toe x10 bs
- fairy op toe x10 bs
- stepping ss toe x10 bs
- stepping op toe x10 bs
- atomic ss toe x10 bs
- atomic op toe x10 bs
- quantum ss toe x10 bs
- quantum op toe x10 bs
- mirage x10 bs
- ss mirage x10 bs

Addometer:
2962 hitherto + 620 adds today (counting the kicks as one add each) = 3580 adds!

I have noticed, perhaps not surprisingly, that doubling the amount of consecutives I do has also doubled the amount of time is taking to complete them. Yesterday I only got through half and said I would finish today. I finished the second half as I said I would, and with a few runs and random shreds, an hour was up before I could finish the (first) half. In short, I seem to be doing half of what I plan on doing now that the number of consecutives has increased from 5 to 10, so I might need to rethink how I practice. I feel like 10 is a nice number to help drill things into muscle memory, and not so much that my legs are wrecked the next day meaning I think I would like to keep the number. Perhaps I could reconceptualize the fundamentals I am doing and do something analogous to back and biceps one day, and chest and triceps the next day for weight lifting. I looked at this diagram recently on .org:

Maybe what I could do is work on uptime components one day (e.g., pixie, fairy, etc.) midtime another day (e.g., mirage?, illusion?) and downtime the next (e.g., legover, mirage). Something feels solid about thinking of the moves like this. I still maintain the variety of fundamentals practice, and get to think about the moves in a different way. I mean in-out around the world is really just an uptime same-side (muted) pickup. I'd like to revisit Job's notation too. I think there is something there that has hitherto been untapped.

I hit gyro diving(?) butterfly bs for the first time today:
A couple notes:

- I seem to lean forward or almost fall forward during left foot fairy sets, as well as atomic sets. That may be messing with the set, and since I don't do it on my strong side I should delete it from my flip.
- During my right foot clipper sets, I feel like spot where I delay the bag is about 6 inches in front of where I set. I think this is decreasing stability since my leg isn't stabilized.
- I just checked .org and it looks like a major hardware failure took place...shit! Or is it just me?

Here is a run from today:
TJ Boutorwick

h0ag3yb3atZ
Egyptian Footgod

Post by h0ag3yb3atZ » 30 Nov 2016 13:56

i really like your style TJ, especially on uptime sets. the ducking drifter was a nice surprise.

great stuff d00d.
Kevin Hogan

BSC

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 01 Dec 2016 21:33

h0ag3yb3atZ wrote:i really like your style TJ, especially on uptime sets. the ducking drifter was a nice surprise.

great stuff d00d.

Thanks!

Kicked for just under an hour today.

Fundamentals:

- atw i-o x10 bs
- atw o-i x10 bs
- illusion x10 bs
- ss illusion x10 bs
- lil toe stalls x25 bs
- ss lil toe stalls x25 bs
- pickup x10 bs
- ss pickup x10 bs
- legover x10 bs
- ss legover x10 bs
- ducking (op) toe x 10 bs
- ducking (weaving) (ss) toe x 10 bs
- mirage x10 bs
- ss mirage x10 bs

Addometer:

3580 adds hitherto + 580 today = 4160 adds!

I feel like I did these a bit faster today than in previous days, likely due to the fact that I took a day off from them yesterday so was

- fresh, and
- felt the urge to get them done.

I still want to rethink the types of moves that I am doing even if nothing comes of it, just to know that I have put a little thought into it.

One run from today:
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 04 Dec 2016 02:21

Today (Sunday Dec 4th) I hacked with Dave and Todd. We had an epic five-person hack last week, and today was much more chill. I freestyled yesterday but was a bit tired, plus it was the weekend so wasn't feeling drilling too much. Nonetheless I did practice:

- ducking (op) toe x10 bs
- pixie (op) toe x10 bs
- right foot ATW i-o x10
- left foot ATW i-o x20
- mirage x10 bs
- gyro clipper x10 bs

Addometer: 4160 + 240 = 4400 adds!

Yesterday when I freestyled I didn't have my usual spot so I kicked next to some ping pong tables at the gym, meaning no video. However, last Monday or so I decided to take a picture of my footbags. To my surprise it took about 3 days of me searching pockets here and there, drawers in my office (i.e., all of the backup places I put them), to get them together. Shit, just realized I forgot two that are for sale! Whatever, fuck you. Here they is:

TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 05 Dec 2016 21:12

Kicked in the courtyard today outside of the hub at uni for just under an hour. I kicked outside because the weather was really nice and in Wellington you learn to take advantage of that. I didn't film which was too bad, but will soon enough.

It was difficult to stay focused to practice fundamentals and not simply shred, but I managed:

- pickup x10 bs
- ss pickup x10 bs
- legover x10 bs
- ss legover x10 bs
- illusion x10 bs
- ss illusion x10 bs
- mirage x10 bs
- ss mirage x10 bs
- lil toe stalls x25 bs
- ss lil toe stalls x25 bs

Addometer: 4400 hitherto + 420 (!) = 4820 adds!

As I started kicking at the beginning, I continued to freestyle and not focus on the fundamentals. At certain points I had to push myself to just do them. This time, I noticed less drops, meaning that completed drills happened in less time. I think the message is clear: You can do it put your ass into it.

Dave suggested flip two-bag juggling is the key to improving my left toe, so I will take his advice and drill that. I made some notes before talking to him, incidentally, about how my left mirages, left fairy, left pixie, left illusion, and left ATWs are all weaker than my strong side. This means that there is something that is present in each of these that is likely contributing to them being weak and not particular to one trick. One thing similar in all of them is the left-foot set, so it must be the toe set itself, and Dave's suggestion to drill two-bag matches up nicely. I will add this to the fundamentals practice.

Speaking of my left toe, I noted that the stall begins with decent form (although even standing with the bag on my left foot, I sense uncertainty), however as I raise my leg beginning the toe set, my foot tends to curl into a inside stall position, and knee wobbles outward, sending the bag rolling off of my left foot toe instead of getting set nicely. I feel like I should be concentrating on my support leg to ensure good posture and balance since that may be affecting the set since my left foot, by cranking into an inside position, may be the result of losing balance and trying to shift body weight. At the same time, I think that may be a bit far-fetched, and I should just practice more.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 06 Dec 2016 23:27

Kicked today for about 45 minutes in the long room because there was a group of dancers in the dance studio. When I got in there, the lights were off, and the guy who practices Kendo was also there so I didn't bother turning them on. It turns out that the lights weren't working. Since it was a bit dark and Kendo was there I didn't film. For some reason today I decided to do reps of 25:

- op toe stall x25 bs
- ss toe stall x25 bs
- ATW i-o x25 bs
- ATW o-i x25 bs
- 2-bag juggle x25 bs
- 2-bag 2-toe x25 bs
- op little toe stalls x25 bs
- ss little toe stalls x25 bs (toe-set symple same toe)

Addometer: 4820 + 600 = 5420 adds!

Tjuggles wrote:Dave suggested flip two-bag juggling is the key to improving my left toe, so I will take his advice and drill that.
I did drill it today, and there is definitely some improvement to be had. Looking forward to focusing on this and watching it improve. Thanks Dave (and Kenzo, since I remember he told me this in the past too)!

Tjuggles wrote:Speaking of my left toe, I noted that the stall begins with decent form...however as I raise my leg beginning the toe set, my foot tends to curl into a inside stall position, and knee wobbles outward, sending the bag rolling off of my left foot toe instead of getting set nicely. I feel like I should be concentrating on my support leg to ensure good posture and balance since that may be affecting the set since my left foot, by cranking into an inside position, may be the result of losing balance and trying to shift body weight.
I am pretty sure that practicing (1) 2-bag juggling, (2) lil toe stalls, and (3) toe-set symple same toe, will really get my muscle memory moving.

It is starting to make sense that if I want to improve my left toe, I should be practicing with it much more. Time on task. Felt good after the session. Nothing major in terms of tricks, but still was pretty sweaty when I finished. That is my minimal goal, to sweat each session. I won't stop until I have sweat a bit.

I thought about dedicating one shred day to only left foot stuff, especially left toe. Time on task.

I also thought of a good practice drill:

- 2-bag xN > 2-bag two toe > flip 2-bag xN > rpt ad infinitum

... where N is whatever number I want.

If things are free in the dance studio tomorrow I will film and get a clip in dis blog.

Gotta buy new shred shoes soon!
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Dec 2016 02:15

Kicked for just over an hour today in the dance studio. It was a bit rainy outside, and slightly chilly, but not really.

I wrote down in my shred-log to practice the important things first. To that extent:

- op toe stall x25 bs
- ss toe stall x25 bs
- ATW i-o x25 bs
- ATW o-i x25 bs
- lil toe stalls x25 bs
- 2-bag x25 bs
- mirage x25 bs
- ss mirage x25 bs
- illusion x25 bs
- ss illusion x25 bs

Addometer: 5420 + 850 (new record!) = 6270 adds!

I circled 2-bag one on each toe because I dropped a lot and struggled through it. Want to get my game better than that. Practice more!

Also hit Marius both sides. May have been my first time on flip (set from right foot clipper):
Here is a short clip of a run that I found when looking through the clips:
TJ Boutorwick

bustinjustin
Fearless

Post by bustinjustin » 08 Dec 2016 09:48

Love the way you train. All the tracking makes your blog posts very enjoyable for me. I expect you'll get very good very fast due to your methodology. Keep it up, props!
Justin Dale
Videos

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Dec 2016 13:36

bustinjustin wrote:Love the way you train. All the tracking makes your blog posts very enjoyable for me. I expect you'll get very good very fast due to your methodology. Keep it up, props!

Thanks, Justin. I wish I would have been this disciplined like 20 years ago when I started! I'm glad you are enjoying them; I draw inspiration from your blog. :)
TJ Boutorwick

C-Fan
Rekordy Polski

Post by C-Fan » 08 Dec 2016 13:41

Props on the Marii! They looked great.

Imagine how cool morpheus-marius repeat, or marius-morpheus repeat would look.

Keep the videos coming, they really spice up the blog.

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 08 Dec 2016 14:53

C-Fan wrote:Props on the Marii! They looked great.

Imagine how cool morpheus-marius repeat, or marius-morpheus repeat would look.

Keep the videos coming, they really spice up the blog.

Thanks, Ken. Would be great to get them more consistent.

morpheus-marius, marius-morpheus...I got a little giddy thinking of hitting those. I wrote down vortex > void > rpt just now in my shred-log to see how that feels first. Even hitting that would be a milestone.

Glad you like the vids. Part of me only wants to film guiltless strings or higher, which the other part of me thinks is silly. Why does part of me think that tiltless isn't video material?
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 09 Dec 2016 01:06

Kicked at the cemetery, at Sisters of Mercy, for about an hour. Friday + good weather = just kick, no fundamentals. :)

That being said, I did do:

- op toe stall x 25 bs
- ss toe stall x 25 bs

Addometer: 6270 + 100 = 6370 adds!

I tried p. drifter > matador > ripwalk > rpt a few times, but wasn't feeling it. I also got some new scenery, some that I have wanted to get for a while. I'll put two clips below, both different angles of the same spot, to get an idea of my beautiful surroundings. The first clip was just after getting warm. The camera is filming east, meaning the mountains in the background are on the east side of the bay (the blue water in the shot is part of the bay).

The second clip was near the end of the session, filming south. I like the contrast that the backlight brings to the clip. If the Pohutukawa was absent from the bottom of the shot, the bag might have been easier to see but I'm glad it wasn't absent; beautiful tree and just starting to blossom!

TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 11 Dec 2016 23:19

Kicked for just about 30 minutes today, a good 30 minutes, in the dance studio. There were a few people dancing in there so I decided not to film. I found it mentally difficult to get through a lot of fundamental practice because I just wanted to shred, because the three women were in there dancing, and because I submitted my discussion chapter of my thesis to my supervisor. That means I only have the introduction and conclusion chapters left! Anyway, I did practice what I am thinking are the most important fundamentals for my toe game:

- op toe stall x25 bs
- ss toe stall x25 bs
- 2 bag x25 bs
- two bags one on each foot x25 bs
- (does each contact get two adds?)

I also managed the concentration to do this at the end of the session, feeling a bit guilty for not doing more fundamentals:

- op legover x25 bs
- ss legover x25 bs
- DATW x1 all four toe-set ones (i.e., i-o and o-i, bs)

Addometer: 6370 previously + 512 today = 6882 adds!

I also noted a couple of good 30ish contact runs. I also noted they were mostly one-sided. I'm glad that being one-sided is making it into my notes because that means I am more like to address it.

Footbag gives me balance.

I was asked to join a thing at the rec centre tomorrow, a sort of survey so that the center can get some feedback from regulars. I think it's an hour long, and they will give me a $25 supermarket voucher.
TJ Boutorwick

Tjuggles
Flower Child

Post by Tjuggles » 13 Dec 2016 15:13

Super
Tjuggles wrote:I was asked to join a thing at the rec centre tomorrow, a sort of survey so that the center can get some feedback from regulars. I think it's an hour long, and they will give me a $25 supermarket voucher.
Nailed it.

Kicked for just about 45 minutes in the dance studio yesterday after the rec center meetup. My camera battery was low and I wanted to get a bit of footage, but also wanted to video some fundamentals practice for personal development/reflection. I decided to film some toe stalls to see how they are coming along, and then stopped the camera until later. However a few dancers came in to the studio so I didn't end up filming any more.

Fundamentals:

- op toe stall x25 bs
- ss toe stall x25 bs
- pixie op toe x25 bs
- pixie ss toe x25 bs
- op pickup x25 bs
- ss pickup x25 bs
- 2-bag x25 bs
- 2-bag 2-feet x50

Addometer: 6882 + 700 today = 7582 adds!

I wrote down to try torque > spinning osis and managed it on one side. Ultimately I'd like to repeat it. Probably have in the past.

After the session I was thinking it may good to put a clip in here of the aforementioned toe stall footage to:

1. look back on it to see how far I have come, and
2. maybe get some feedback/opinions on how they look and how to make them better.

So here are some toe stalls. A couple on the strong side, 25 or so flip, then op toe stall a couple of times:
TJ Boutorwick