RCS IN DA CLUB

Keep a diary of what you're hitting, what's frustrating you, and your goals.
sampotter
the boy who lived

RCS IN DA CLUB

Post by sampotter » 09 Feb 2005 20:54

This is a blog aimed at letting any member of Rain City Shred post what they're hitting, what's going on in their area, and session times (or, dare I say... jam dates? ;) ).

Today Dan and made an attempt at sessioning at various locales near the water front, but after an hour we gave up due to the cold and the wind. After heading up to the YMCA, we put in about an hour and a half session. Not a lot was hit, but we contact counted a bit and worked our string length. It ended up being a pretty low energy session.

As for other endeavors, Folklife is still on the distant horizon, with more pressing events quickly on the way! I'll be in Portland on the weekend of the 19th hopefully shredding with both the Portland and Eugene crew.

Does anyone have any information about May Dayz?

(*all comments welcome)
Last edited by sampotter on 10 Aug 2005 15:53, edited 1 time in total.

Stuge47
BSOS Beast

Post by Stuge47 » 11 Feb 2005 14:19

Whoooooo I am kind of the first to post something that has to do with blogging in this!

Free day today during gym, so I decided to work on my butterflies, illusions, and flipside pixies. Just some easy stuff.
Lunch I kicked with Josh, and didn't really hit to much stuff, so we just started playing some foursquare.

Busing it down to seattle tomorrow, Sam you better be there.
Danny Williams.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 11 Feb 2005 16:22

Hey Danny, I've met you a few times before, specifically at the last session Miles was at, I didn't know you posted on modified though.

Anyways, I had a a small session today, worked on my ducking/spinning and then just trying to seal my clippers 100%.

I wish I had more time to kick lately. Footbag is a lot like religion, women and the quest for money are the two main things that will impede your advancement.

Anyways, I'll see you ladies tomorrow.

PS: Is it wrong that I'm already kind of excited for SJFF?

habitat
Post Master General

Post by habitat » 11 Feb 2005 19:28

Justin Dale says you Seattle shredders might be coming out here to Spokane somewhere in April or so. I hope he was telling the truth, cause that would be sick as hell!

BTW, Sam, your not invited 8)
James Randall

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 11 Feb 2005 20:29

habitat wrote:BTW, Sam, your not invited 8)
omg :(

About that, though, when I talked to him he said it would most likely happen sometime during the summer (as far as I remember, anyway). He's currently recovering from surgery and will hopefully be back in a couple of months.

Also, Folklife is at the end of May as dictated in my signature, so I hope you and the Spokane crew roll over to Seattle for it. (also invited is, well, ANYONE!! :) )

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 12 Feb 2005 19:14

Today's session, while short (~2 hours), was pretty huge for everyone. Danny made it down, so it ended up being a three man session.

As for what was hit, Dan was throwing his flipside butterfly like nothing, and hit spinning clipper a few times (very clean). Danny threw a bunch of really nice stepping stuff, and almost hit blurry whirl. I didn't anything new, really, aside from barrage bsos a few times, which was cool as I don't ever school barrage. While none of that is very huge, what really stuck out was string length. Every other time Dan or I got the bag we'd drop a huge 10-20 contact run. Dan had a bunch of very consistent, bothsided runs and touched on all of his shit. I managed to incorporate a ton of stepping today, which is unusual of me. Whirls and drifters were on for me, too, which shows schooling is paying off in that regard.

edit: Oh, and of course, we filmed today. :) Hopefully after a few sessions Dan will have enough good footage to throw down an RCS vid.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 13 Feb 2005 08:32

edit: Oh, and of course, we filmed today. Hopefully after a few sessions Dan will have enough good footage to throw down an RCS vid.
Right now I'm contemplating either waiting for Justin to come back as to have a main attraction for the video, or just shooting one of us two more or less.

What'dyou think?

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 13 Feb 2005 10:12

shrug, people have seen Justin Dale footage. There isn't really any footage of us. It's up to you, though, you have the camera.

How did the footage you get turn out, anyway?

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 13 Feb 2005 11:55

Alright, I'll film a lot in these next few sessions and probably bring her up to Evergreen too.

I'll also capture some Folk Life shit when it comes time, and for that matter May Dayz too.

Maybe I should just combine them all and make a beastly fucking video?

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 13 Feb 2005 12:03

What!? No you should put out a video of both of you right away so we can all see your progression. I would like to see a vid of just 1 or 2 sessions of you guys.

Come on Dan why you gotta be like that? :lol:
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 13 Feb 2005 13:12

Yeah, while beastly fucking movies are cool and all, the fact that they take so long to get all the footage for is a bummer. Short videos that depict progression are awesome. Let's get another session's worth of footage and throw something together.

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 13 Feb 2005 14:22

Alright, the people have spoken, a quicke vid it is. I'll film for 2, maybe 3 sessions and then throw something together. It seems we've both been really on lately anyways so I don't think plenty of good footage will be tough to come by.

Also, I was thinking about this the other day; is long contact length going to eventually be the new protocol just as both sidedness became big a few years ago? Sam and I talk about this a lot, and we both agree that small contact lengths are hideous, and I would say almost as hideous as one sidedness.

ericksonj
Atomsmashasaurus Dex

Post by ericksonj » 13 Feb 2005 14:41

Well I think it depends on what you film and what you want on video. In our session with torch I didn't put any of my strings in there, because I wanted to get some 5s on video that I had never put out before. Consequently I don't think I had a run over 15 contacts because I had to be choosey. Also I was trying my best to hit big moves all session because it was ahren gehrman :) With nate, we had to pull lots of strings out of the video of him, mainly because we wanted to get some 5s and 6s out there of his.

Next video I put out of me will probably be 1/2 strings of me and 1/4 cool links and 1/4 big moves. Video can never capture what you are all about. You'll find its funny when people comment on how you never throw this or that, when they only see a couple runs, and you most likely have that concept dialed.

So what was I trying to get at with all this rambling? I like both. Try to put in some strings and some links/your big moves. That way you can show different aspects of your style.
Always Shreddin
James Erickson
Eugene Footbag Association (Orton, Nasty, Me)
w/ new additions (Casey, Alex, Eddie, and Shawnell)

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 13 Feb 2005 17:20

The way I look at it, the more fundamentals you own, the easier bigger tricks are going to be. If you can hit a drifter once in a while, and a gyro mirage or clipper once in a while, does trying for vortex make sense? Well, it depends on what you like to do when you play, but I would personally say no. It wouldn't be as fruitful as schooling drifters and gyro sets and then in a fraction of the time piece the concepts together and learn vortex.

It just so happens that fundamentals lead to long string length. I personally like seeing long strings with lots of hard links, than short strings with a couple hard moves. Then again, I may be biased because I don't like working on big moves and like to drill consecutives and repeating combos more... :)

Anyway, today's solo session highlights:

- one 20-25 contact run with a ton of pixie moves and whirls both sides thrown in.
- butterfly>osis>ducking clipper>repeat x4> ~10 contact run
- 8x ducking clipper
- pdx mirage>whirl>whirl>repeat (not huge, but it came pretty easily)
- lots of work on stepping. Not being a master of stepping, stepping clipper>whirl bsos was pretty nice, as well as lots of other bothsided stepping thrown down in strings.
- nearly hit a couple of combos I've been trying to hit this past week... so close!! :(

Peace,

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 15 Feb 2005 16:41

Hit spinning paradox mirage today pretty easily and footed it on my flipside. I'm going to put it on the shelf though for awhile because I'd rather work my consistency to the point where I bust such long strings that it aches in my body, mind and soul (Yoga poster in the YMCA room anyone?).

Clippers are coming easily, and I hit 21 of them today. Once I get 50 I will stop drilling them.

I love footbag.

dazza
Flower Child

Post by dazza » 15 Feb 2005 17:18

No, but i got a YMCA poster in my yoga room !

Dan, you've became pretty good, props on your spinning clippers :D
I've only footed them yet, same goes for gyro mirage...

are you sending in a sick 3 this time ? would be interesting, i guess
we are in the same division .

Btw, what is a spinning pdx mirage ? clipper set spinning same mirage
(clipper and dexing foot are the same foot ) ?
That would be gyro mir, in my book at least...

Anyway, i know what you mean by putting certain stuff on the shelf
in order to focus on run lenght and consistent basics.
I mean i can hit bs smear pretty easily, but my average tiltless string
has only about 13 contacts...

And again, send in a sick 3, Dan, our divisions need you !
EASYKINKI

mosher
brutal footbag cronie

Post by mosher » 15 Feb 2005 18:29

I just want to say loudly that I agree with what people have said regarding your movie.

I think the funnest movies are single session ones because they retain their feel throughout. Though in the same regard, several sessions allows for a fuller demonstration of all your different vibes.

Dan, I was thinking, perhaps bothsidedness and long strings should carry the same weight. I think bothsidedness should be a thing that should just be expected from the beginning and then from there you can work on getting good long strings. I think all of your thinking applies to the way I am thinking, except perhaps my thinking occurs in a world where footbag is beautiful and symmetric and weak sides don't exist. Not at all to say I have achieved that yet. I think perfect footbag symmetry should go hand in hand with long strings.
Tom Mosher

hate is a waste of passion!

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 15 Feb 2005 18:38

Dan, I was thinking, perhaps bothsidedness and long strings should carry the same weight. I think bothsidedness should be a thing that should just be expected from the beginning and then from there you can work on getting good long strings. I think all of your thinking applies to the way I am thinking, except perhaps my thinking occurs in a world where footbag is beautiful and symmetric and weak sides don't exist. Not at all to say I have achieved that yet. I think perfect footbag symmetry should go hand in hand with long strings.
Yea, I think contact length and BSOSness go hand in hand, except contact length is really the lesser focused on of the two. I'm not going to name names, and I hope not to rag on anyone, but I saw some people at GLASS who were hitting some big stuff, but their style's and contact length weren't good because they don't spend time making sure they can bust each trick on command (That may be a little extreme, but the point stands).

I'm really glad that you'rE harping BSOSness though Tom. You post A LOT on modified and you alone through your positivE energy and constant posting can really shape the way people think about footbag. I am really glad to see that your starting to harp equally on the beauty of contact length.

Extreme BSOSness and extreme contact length unite!

sampotter
the boy who lived

Post by sampotter » 15 Feb 2005 22:17

Ultimately for a lot of people the problem is foundations. It just happens to be that both sidedness and long string length is what forms that. You get poor styles when people rush into big concepts too soon, or into moves they don't have the grounding for. I think the problem usually originates in the very beginning of taking up the sport. If you have people giving you shit about hitting -every- move both sides, their legs are naturally going to become much more ambidextrous. Further, if they have people making sure they can hit the move over and over consecutively (on both sides, if the move calls for it), then you'll have a player with strong links and good contact length. I would say that once you have a strong foundation as a -guiltless- player, THEN move into what you want to do with your game. Learn all of the core concepts, and sets (tiltless, BOP, double downs, spinning, ducking, whirl, drifter, swirl, symposium, dlo, eggbeater, atomic, stepping, pixie, quantum, fairy, etc.), then start fleshing out how you want to play. It will take longer, but it will be much more rewarding. Just because you can hit a move doesn't mean you should on a regular basis. For example, if you can hit PS Whirl, and start hitting it at the beginning of every string and whenever you can, but can't for the life of you hit a flipside PS Whirl, you'll end up with a REALLY good strong PS Whirl that you can hit into and out of whatever you want... except PS Whirl. :) Further, playing like this can have other ramifications. For example, when I first learned drifter, I REALLY had to work at it on my flipside because of how I naturally leaned over the bag, due to being sideways right. Eventually flipside drifter became much stronger, and now I own it. Consequentially, I feel that in all of my moves, I'm a little more centered. It's not so black and white as being able to hit certain concepts.

Of course, people will say, "But it's freestyle!!! Play how you want!" Whatever. :) I fell in love with footbag freestyle, not hacky sack. To me hitting big moves on one side is as bad as hacky sack.

Oh, and session highlights:

(~ 1 1/2 hour long session)
I did a lot of work on stepping each side, and worked the other concepts that I'm solidifying. All of the concepts I'm working on right now really seem to be coming together, and I'm feeling like I can make strong links between all of them. No real mind-blowing strings stood out today.

Peace,

BainbridgeShred
Post Master General

Post by BainbridgeShred » 16 Feb 2005 07:15

String highlights from yesterday:

27 b2b clippers
Infinity
Spinning Mirage

I love footbag